Start by marking “Change Your Thinking: Overcome Stress, Anxiety, and Depression, and Improve Your Life with CBT” as Want to Read:

Practicing psychologist Sarah Edelman clearly lays out how to use CBT to develop rational thought patterns in response to upsetting emotions and situations. By following the practical, easy-to-follow exercises and examples, you can take control of your thoughts, emotions, and feelings, and find more positive ways of dealing with life’s hurdles - and a happier you. Change Y ...more
Published November 16th 2007 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published April 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Change Your Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Change Your Thinking

Start your review of Change Your Thinking: Overcome Stress, Anxiety, and Depression, and Improve Your Life with CBT
Alice
Jun 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My psychologist told me to buy this book and I dutifully went out and did so, running into him and his new baby in the process (awkward!). While Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is now quickly becoming the unpopular kid in school next to Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (that new girl who just moved here three weeks ago and who has a pool and everyone now really likes even though they don't know her all that well), I still got plenty of good strategies out of it.

Its great strength is that it does
Donna
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a comprehensive guide to CBT with lots of practical advice and exercises to overcome stress, anxiety and negative thought.

CBT is a proven technique that is practical and doesn't rely solely on 'positive thinking' and catch phrases/affirmations.

When I read this book, I found myself constantly saying 'that's just common sense'. When it is laid out so clearly and logically, I can't help but wonder why my everyday thinking is anything but logical and common sense.

I rage, I ruminate and spe
Caroline Gordon
This book holds a place on everyone's bookshelf, it is a source of wisdom and knowledge on all aspects of your life and how to improve yourself. Really common sense advice on dealing with anger, depression, anxiety, you name it it covers it. Every subject is covered in a really approachable way, the examples are of everyday people dealing with everyday situations. Please, everyone read this book, it will touch you and change your life.
Dani Dányi
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like many self-help aficionados, I have developed a chronic habit of reading about my life problems, without actually overcoming most of them in any spectacular way. There is of course some progress involved; I mean for a while back there, I was pretty sure CBT was a cannabis derivative. But no it's not, close but no - erm - cigar.
Cognitive behavioural therapy is a pretty sensible method, very reasonable, systematic, zero mumbo-jumbo, gets things efficiently sorted. Good shit. In fact, the worst
Paul Faure
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a great fan of CBT but I found this book practical with some good suggestions interspersed with inspirational quotes. What's more, for once it's actually written from an Australian perspective. Did it change my thinking? Like any good book, yes, in some way I just may think it has!
Nicole Garey
One of the issues that Dr. Sarah Edelman addresses as she brings her book to a close is the role our expectations play in our happiness. What a wonderful way to start a review, don't you think?

This book is absolutely wonderful for those who are new to the self-help and psychology fields. It's a great introduction to the concepts of everyday psychological irritants and provides wonderfully practical exercises to help the reader understand faulty logic.

Unfortunately, I went into the book expecting
Kazza
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book ages ago, it's a keeper on my shelves, but I've never added it to Goodreads. I recently decided to re-read it as an e-book and it showed up on here - so mini review.

Our thoughts have a powerful effect on how we feel so it makes a lot of sense to work on what we're thinking. Our automatic thinking style can be negative, but without checking in and looking at how we think, what we are thinking, we often don't realise this. This is especially true for depression and anxiety, but it
Bina
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Easy to read. To-the-point. Easy to grasp. Very practical advice. Must read for those who are battling depression and anxiety. Also a must read for friends & family of those people suffering from depression. CBT is practical and it works. ...more
Jacob Langham
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
The most actionable, insightful and practical guide toward the practice of cognitive behavioural therapy. Dr Edelman uses many relatable experiences and situations to further enhance the practicality of the book. Anybody struggling to control their thoughts or deal with negative emotions should attempt some of the techniques presented within this book. I believe the content within the book can live up to the title.
Daniel Taylor
At first glance, this book seems irrelevant to traders.

But when you consider that trading depends on managing emotions, you’ll think twice. After all, as Dr John F Demartini shares research has shown that if you make a gain of more than 10% you’ll zoom into a state of euphoria and think you’ll never lose money again. Likewise, lose more than 10% and you’ll sink into depression and think you’re financially ruined.

Seen in this light, chapters on topics like “Coping With Anxiety”, “Recovery From De
Angela
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Practical thinking for a happier life
Geoffrey Graham
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for anybody who has problems in life,
that can be maintained by changing your thoughts.
Kane Mason
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book about how to apply “2nd wave” - thought challenging - Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in our lives. Filled with a lot of tips I found very helpful and rewarding in application.
Peta
Aug 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book which helps people challenge their negative thought patterns, it has chapters on different areas of negative thought from things like anxiety and depression to low self esteem and general "awfulising" I found this book good but a bit long winded with sooo many examples that I found myself skipping past some examples the more I got into the book. I also just skimmed some chapters on things that I didn't feel applied to me and so couldn't find myself interested in reading them ...more
Frank
Apr 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Change Your Thinking is the bestselling guide to managing upsetting emotions by learning to think in a healthy and balanced way. It provides practical strategies for overcoming negative thoughts and behaviours, and taking control of emotions such as anxiety, depression, frustration, anger and guilt. It also describes techniques for enhancing self-esteem, improving communication skills and developing greater personal happiness.......
Becca
May 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great book with real strategies to moving beyond the polarizing and overwhelming feelings of anxiety, depression, grief, and unrealistic expectations. My mom cannot read the book since her eyesight is very poor so I copied down a lot, a lot of the book on Microsoft Word to send to her so she can blow it up 200% and read it. I hope that she chooses to use the help that is in this book for her.
Felicity
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Felicity by: My Mum.
I read this book quite quickly. Edelman breaks it the content down into very simple terms. It provides some simple, easy-to-do strategies for battling depression, anxiety, anger, frustration etc, including changing negative thought patterns. Worked well enough for me, so my friend gave me Edelman's 'Releasing Anxiety' CD to use also. Worth a look!
Lachlan Yee
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not only a self help book but powerful in its ability for you to begin to 'recognise faulty thinking' patterns in people you deal with often. I would highly recommend this book to guide a change in attitude and change in practice to a better life.
Oct 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Great CBT based approach to mood, anxiety, self esteem, anger management... highly recommended!
Wendy
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Logical and easy to understand! A fantastic book for anyone who lets their emotions control them.
Shayne Power
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Great book. Well organised and just what I needed. Will be reading again soon.
Maggie
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Comprehensive guide and explanation of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
Nicole
May 05, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, lifestyle, books
So, I'm torn about reviewing this book. It has some great insights and I often recommend it to people because it did help me change some of my thinking patterns (be aware that I also had the help of a therapist, though), but to me it was a very boring read. I think it's because everything it says is accompanied by tons of examples that to me felt similar and unnecessary. After leaving it on my "currently reading" bookshelf literally for YEARS, I think it's time to let go of the expectation I'll ...more
Daniel Hammer
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
This book is amazing! I wish I could give it more stars. I am going through some life stuff currently, and found it difficult to understand what I was feeling and how to react to it. I would find myself consumed by the issues in my life and thought I was on an island. However, after reading this book and working through the advice and and exercises provided, I am feeling a thousand times better. I now have warning of situations that will cause me to go in a spiral, and I have the tools to either ...more
Nicholas Smith
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in parallel with a great courses series and an online programme and I found this gave information and presented ideas that were not found in the other two sources and framed the ideas in a new way. Where this book is limited is that it is very much framed in the 2nd wave approach and doesn't attempt to draw ideas of mindfulness/acceptance into the treatment, which both dates and limits it. That said, it is a very practical book and makes following CBT after finishing the book ea ...more
Amanda Kirk
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
So far I am enjoying this book. Id give it a 5* but I am missing pages 21 through 36. Im not sure what happened or if anyone else has had this problem but for me it makes it so there's no point 8n reading this book because its not all there. Im the type of person that if im paying $30 for a book i want all the chapters lol other then that this book is VERY helpful
Sarah de Jong
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted to enjoy this book more than I did. Like another reader who’s review I read, I wanted the book to be more comprehensive than it was. While it’s a good introduction into CBT and I did gather a couple of takeaways from it, I was definitely hoping for more substance.
Peter
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read and own a copy of this book. The book describes the foundations of cognitive behavioural therapy. Essentially how to move from thinking and acting on emotional‘feelings’ to a more rational balanced perspective. I will read this again.
Aimee
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book when I was going through a hard time. It really helped me to unpick my thoughts and rationalise them. I even bought a copy for my friend who was also struggling mentally and she said the same.
Olivier Asselin
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Helpful science in clear language.

• The Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living: A Guide to ACT
  • Rewire Your Anxious Brain: How to Use the Neuroscience of Fear to End Anxiety, Panic, and Worry
  • Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things
  • Roald Dahl Treasury
  • Falling Awake: How to Practice Mindfulness in Everyday Life
  • Teacher: One woman's struggle to keep the heart in teaching
  • The Art of Mindful Living: How to Bring Love, Compassion, and Inner Peace Into Your Daily Life
  • Don't Feed the Monkey Mind: How to Stop the Cycle of Anxiety, Fear, and Worry
  • Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Dummies
  • The Contractor: How I Landed in a Pakistani Prison and Ignited a Diplomatic Crisis
  • Man's Search for Meaning: A Young Adult Edition
  • Click Here to Kill Everybody: Security and Survival in a Hyper-connected World
  • The Collaborator
  • The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race and Identity
  • 8 Keys to Stress Management
  • A Bigger Picture
  • More Myself: A Journey
  • The Barefoot Investor: The Only Money Guide You'll Ever Need

News & Interviews

“The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.’
WILLIAM JAMES (1842–1910)”
0 likes
“Being conciliatory means trying to get what is fair for everyone involved. But why should we be conciliatory when other people don’t seem to be concerned about our feelings? The answer is that being conciliatory increases your chances of getting what you want. It gives you power. It also lets you avoid the stress and agitation that come
with a bad-tempered exchange or an escalation of conflict. It is in your interests to be conciliatory. While sometimes it may seem easier to lash out and say what’s on your mind, ultimately this doesn’t help you to get what you want. Conciliatory communication
enables you to avoid stress and to get your needs met more often.”
0 likes