Start by marking “The Gothic Shift” as Want to Read:
The Gothic Shift

Read Book* *Different edition

The Gothic Shift

A beguiling collection of the macabre and supernatural from national bestseller, B.D. Bruns. “Bruns... creates well-imagined, realistic settings for his lively characters.” - Kirkus Reviews

The Ghost of Naked Molly - takes us back to old New Orleans on the eve of the Louisiana Purchase, where the ghost of a gorgeous octoroon slave mistress complicates the political

Published December 28th 2013 by World Waters

To ask other readers questions about The Gothic Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gothic Shift

Start your review of The Gothic Shift
Char
This collection consists of four unrelated stories. I will briefly touch on each of them so you can get a feel for the style of this book. Three of these stories have an historical background.

Naked Molly takes place in the winter of 1799 in the port town of New Orleans. At the time New Orleans was in a state of flux and this story takes place right in the middle of it. A scheming, conniving main character that I could not stand had a ghost of a beautiful woman running around naked in his home a
Kristine Hall
Audio Book Review. As summer turns to fall, and cooler temperatures start to creep in, there’s nothing better than having spooky tales to shift the mood from sunny to somber and get in that Halloween frame of mind. For those who only want to dip a toe into the macabre world, short stories are great bang for the buck. The Gothic Shift is a perfect book for getting your creep on and includes four novellas, each with its own narrator, each horrific in its own unique way. The full audio book clocks ...more
Susan
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BD Bruns' first foray into the horror genre does not disappoint. It's horror for people who don't normally enjoy horror, as well as for those who appreciate the subtler side of the genre. With bits of Lovecraftian imagery sprinkled throughout, it's got charm, suspense, humor, and spirit, without the gratuitous gore and violence common in most current horror offerings. If you've read and enjoyed Bruns' other books, but you're afraid to give this one a try, let me allay your fears. You won't be sc ...more
Susan
The Gothic Shift is a perfect slow burn story collection for the Halloween season. Each tale builds the suspense leading up to the final, sometimes surprising, horror. There are 4 tales contained in this book but I’m a little confused at the title for each story – Audible has one set of story titles and GoodReads has another. Story 1: The Ghost of Naked Molly. Story 2: Wax and Wayne (aka The Gothic Shift). Story 3: The Swamp Hive (aka The Finger People). Story 4: Blue Caribou (aka The Penultimat ...more
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
The story:
This is a series of four stories, that are just perfect for the upcoming holiday of Halloween. I do love a good ghost story and wash story in the production gave me just enough chills whilst listening at night in the dark.

We are met with a mix of old fashioned American Gothic horror in ‘The Ghost of Naked Molly’, right through to modern day horror with The Gothic Shift.

When I review an audio book I try if I can, to read the book alongside listening and luckily the book version was avai
Pat Eroh
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love short and creepy and these four stories are awesome. I like being able to start a story and stop to sleep although with this book, the temptation to start the next is almost as compelling as it is to start a new chapter. These stories are awesome and will give you the creepies!

I received this book from Reading Deals and am voluntarily giving my honest opinion.
John
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Had this on my eReader for the past year, and I just read it on a long flight. Excellent book with unique stories. It was an excellent escape from the world for a couple of hours.
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
The story:

Darcia Helle
I hesitate to pick up a book labeled as 'horror', not because I don't like the genre but because it's overrun with zombies. No offense to anyone, but I'm just not a fan of zombie fiction. I was happy to find that this collection of stories does not contain zombies, nor does the author rely on the use of detailed gory scenes to add the horror factor. The horror here is mostly subtle, the kind that creeps slowly under your skin until you suddenly realize you're in the midst of madness.

This collec
Amy
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Gothic Shift is a collection of some creepy tales. I found them to be fun stories. My favorite was The Ghost of Naked Molly, which is set in late eighteenth century New Orleans. I had the pleasure of listening to the audible version of the book. There are four narrators: Scott Bennett, Brittany Morgan Williams, Thomas Stone, Gary Furlong. Each one did a fabulous job bringing the terrifying stories to life.
I am giving The Gothic Shift four stars. I would recommend this book for readers who e
Amy Calabria
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Brian David Bruns!!! Very interesting/detailed/entertaining stories. Have loved every book by him and this was another one i couldnt put down. Cant wait until the next one.
Jamie Bruhn
Mar 25, 2014
Patrick Birkholtz
Apr 29, 2017
B.D. Bruns
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
AMR
rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2015
Illyusha66
Feb 20, 2014

• The Bone Jar (Detective Lew Kirby, #1)
  • The Last of the Moon Girls
  • The Secrets of Lost Stones
  • White Out (Badlands Thriller, #1)
  • Don't Make a Sound (Sawyer Brooks, #1)
  • Badwater: A Horror Story (The Shattered God Mythos)
  • Blue Gold
  • 50 Ways to Worry Less Now: Reject Negative Thinking to Find Peace, Clarity, and Connection
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes!
  • The Fortune of Lashire Bluff (Lashire Bluff, #1).
  • THE STRANGE WATCHER: Someone is always watching (Short thrilled stories Book 1)
  • Bound for Murder (Blue Ridge Library Mysteries #4)
  • Storm of Secrets (A Haunted Bluffs Mystery #2)
  • This Is Love (Harmony Pointe, #2)
  • The Devil's Tree
  • Candy Canes and Buckets of Blood (Sprite Brigade #1)
  • Snowfall at Moonglow (Moonglow Christmas Book 5)
  • Emma Littleleap Takes a Chance (Magic Animal Friends, #23)
Brian David Bruns has traveled to over 50 countries to gather material for his bestselling books. He’s won over 20 national and international book awards, including the USA REBA Grand Prize. On two separate occasions he has been featured on ABC 20/20.

Bruns’ travel adventures span from entering the Pyramids of Giza and swimming in the Panama Canal to climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro and touring Torture M