Start by marking “The Lonely Dead” as Want to Read:
The Lonely Dead

The Lonely Dead

(Straw Men #2)

An electrifying thriller from the author of the international bestsellerThe Straw Men.
A guilty man walks alone into the cold mountain forests of Washington State, aiming never to return. What he finds there starts a chain of events that will quickly spiral out of control.
Meanwhile in Los Angeles a woman's body is discovered, sitting bolt upright in a motel bedroom. She i
Paperback, Special Overseas Edition, 485 pages
Published 2005 by Harper Collins

To ask other readers questions about The Lonely Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lonely Dead

Rob Twinem
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Ward Hopkins, ex CIA agent, is a man with a sec
Jon Recluse
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
The Straw Men slip back into the shadows, but their presence is still felt as the hunt for The Upright Man takes center stage in this engaging thriller. Marshall keeps his readers on their mental toes, as they ponder who is a player, who is a pawn and who is being led down the rabbit hole.
Ctgt
Dec 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is what happens when you have certain expectations about a book. The book was well written, I thought the pacing was on par with other suspense/thriller type books and since it is the second book in a trilogy the characterization is there. So what's my problem? (Granted, 3 stars isn't a bad rating but I really felt like giving it 2 stars as soon as I finished.)

This was not the direction I wanted the book to head. How egocentric is that?

The two parts of the first book that I really enjoyed w
Chana
May 01, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
It wasn't as good as I expected. At times, especially in the beginning, the author has a sly sense of humor that make the book entertaining. But generally I found the book to have these faults: Too many ideas that don't tie together, inconsistency in the characters, action scenes that become cumbersome, and just too much tramping around in the woods. I was quite sick of it by the time I was done. I thought there had been some potential here, but in the end it was murky as mud and about as much f ...more
Duncan
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-sci-fi
This carries straight on from the first book in the series The Straw Men and would be best read immediately afterwards. I had a gap of about a year but could remember enough to follow the story after a few reminders. This second book has the feeling of waves washing the shore, waves created bybthe momentum and explosion of the first. Rather than generating any independent story lines of it's own. It also feels a bit disconnected, even with 100 pages or less to go there was no apparent connection ...more
Patrick
I really enjoyed the first book of this series. But the second two left me feeling rather lukewarm. The language wasn't nearly as clever, and the story didn't feel as compelling.

I still highly recommend the first one, and think it makes a fine stand-alone story. But I wouldn't necessarily push the second two.

Again, I should make it clear that this isn't the genre I normally read in, and my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt because of that.
Nathalie
Jul 30, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nathalie by: Wikipedia
Shelves: scary
After the first chapter or two, I realized that I had already read this book a couple of years ago, but as a stand-alone book, not having read "The Straw Men" yet. At the time I found "The Upright Man" confusing and not very good. I continued on this time, hoping that having read "The Straw Men" last week would shed a different light on the sequel, this time.
But no. What I loved about the Straw Men wasn't present in "The Upright Man". Sure, the great writing style is still there, but I felt no e
Rachel Bohlen
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lonely Dead picks up a few months after the end of The Straw Men. Ward is looking for answers while trying to stay off the radar, Nina's back at the FBI, and John Zandt - well, he may have lost his mind. The Upright Man is still out there, somewhere, and a new plot line takes us to the Pacific Northwest, where a lost man sees something incredible. The Lonely Dead features the same strengths that pulled me into the first book: well-developed characters, good dialogue, and mysteries that never ...more
Pickleman
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part 2 of the "Straw Men" trilogy is a real humdinger! If you have read Straw Men, you really need to read this! On to the third.
Jen
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Very disappointing follow-up to The Straw Men, which I enjoyed immensely. It seemed to wander all over the place like a plot in search of a good story, but I kept reading in the hope that it would surprise me. Unfortunately, it only got worse and by the last few chapters, I felt it had become so fantastical and unbelievable that it was all I could do to bother finishing it.
Houlahan houlahan
It was...ok.

Would help to read the Straw Men first. I read that many years ago and this one made more sense with that as the background.

Kind of serial killer, vast conspiracy with a hint of mystical Neanderthal man stuff thrown in.

Rhonda
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I sure as heck hope this book is not anywhere close as to what they are saying has been going on for 100's of years as a group.....kind of creepy. I won't go back to read the first one, this was the second book at it was weird enough.
Plus I didn't like how it jumped around everywhere.
Susan Armstrong
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first Michael Marshall book. I found his writing to be tight, loved the various subplots in the book and a wide cast of characters
Anneb
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
liked this a lot - it did meander off at one stage and it was easy to figure it was a follow on but it's good as a stand alone too. great weather.
Carole
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read
Gani Sultanov
Нудная херня, а не триллер. Ну есть пару интересных моментов, не более.
Colette Willis
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fast-paced and creepy thriller featuring the characters from The Straw Men. Highly enjoyable, with a nice lightness of touch and wry wit.
John Thurrell
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
bad editing
Cathleen McEachern
Awesome sequel

I couldn't out this book down. Loved the first installment (The Straw Men) and this one did not disappoint. Would highly recommend.
Pamela
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent second book of a trilogy. Not quite as engrossing as Straw Men, but good enough that I am moving on to the third right away!
Elly Stroo Cloeck
Ik heb het voorgaande boek uit de serie niet gelezen, en ondanks het feit dat dit boek best zelfstandig leesbaar is, mis je toch context. Ik vond het boek met vaart geschreven, spannend. Maar ook warrig, met name als het over Raonoke gaat, daar wordt dan een bladzijde out-of-the -blue aan besteedt maar het blijft vergezocht.
Eigenlijk lopen hier twee thema's door elkaar: de serie moordenaar en de Stromannen. Beide interessant, maar in dit deel gewoon teveel van het goede.
Rob Twinem
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Astounding sequel to The Straw Men Some weeks ago I read The Straw Men by Michael Marshall the first part of a trilogy by an author who has never received the acclaim and recognition that he so richly deserves. I thought The Straw Men was an excellent read and was doubtful if the style, character development, and story could be bettered in a sequel. I need not have worried, The Lonely Dead has exceeded all my expectations, it is quite simply a stunning novel told by an expert author.

Ward Hopkin
Jacoby
Nov 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Upright Man (A.K.A. The Lonely Dead) is the worst book I've ever read. Never mind the predictably disjointed opening with different people in random places performing purportedly disparate functions that will--this being a mystery novel--inevitably come together. Never mind a lack of character development and the fact that this loose story is always harkening back to its predecessor without establishing any new significant endeavors or depth of any kind. Never mind that inevitable ending com ...more
Liz Barnsley
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So my re-read continued and of course I had to go next for Book Two of “The Straw Men” Trilogy – The Lonely Dead and very shortly I will be immersed back into Book Three – Blood of Angels.

After the events of “The Straw Men” we find Ward in hiding, drifting from place to place and occasionally attempting to find out more about his background. Meanwhile John is pursuing some dangerous people – but who are the most dangerous – them or John himself? The only other person Ward trusts, Nina, is having
Waven
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, suspense
I am quickly becoming a fan of Michael Marshall. This second book of the Straw Men trilogy is as good as the first, if decidedly different in the ground it covers. Ward, Nina, John, and Paul return with a few new characters as officials try to link a string of seemingly unrelated murders. Our protagonists are sure the Straw Men are involved but can't figure out how; the officials don't even recognize the existence of the Straw Men; and now the Straw Men - among others - are after our protagonist ...more
Philip
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wish authors would make it clearer on the jacket of a book if this is part of a series, and if so, which part. This isn't the first time I've picked up a book only to find I've walked in halfway through the movie.

This is why the first few chapters of this book were so confusing! I hadn't a clue what was going on, and then comes a chapter heavy on exposition and it clicked into place - I was reading a sequel. Still, I persevered and I'm not entirely sure why. Perhaps it's because I've he
Carrie
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The follow up to The Straw Men was a really good read but not quite as strong as its' predecessor. The Upright Man begins a short time after where the prior book left off. There are several different story lines occurring simultaneously but they do eventually come together. A police officer is shot in the head as he sits in his car waiting for his partner. A woman is found murdered in a nearby motel room. Another woman who is a hotel manager goes missing. A suicidal man goes deep into the forest ...more
Ekin Açıkgöz
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Straw Men üçlemesi kütüphanemin en kıymetli kalemlerindendir. Bu serinin yeri çok özeldir benim için. Büyük yazıktır ki, bu yorumu yazdığım sırada halen Türkçe çevirisi bulunmuyor.

(Michael Marshall (Smith) yayınlamayı düşünen yayınevi varsa memnuniyetle çeviririm, ilgisinin bilgilerine arz olunur.)

The Lonely Dead serinin ikinci kitabı. (Sırayla okuyacaksanız eğer. Ha, yanlış sırayla okursanız da aynı zevki alırsınız, ben işte bu ikinci kitaptan başlamıştım, bir sıkıntı da olmadı.)

Bu öyle bi
Sam Whitehouse
The first book in the Straw Men trilogy blew me away. It was a serial killer conspiracy thriller that was full of action, originality and some great characters. And The Lonely Dead, the second book in the trilogy, is no different in that respect. It barrels along at a fast pace, there are plenty of action and gripping set pieces, and the characters, some familiar, some new, are great. Marshall's writing is addictive and reminiscent of Stephen King, and he can write action just as well as he can ...more
Stuart
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its part two of a trilogy about a group of people called the 'straw men', who are basically demented serial killers and the efforts of an ex cop/an actual cop/a random bloke to stop them. I love the first book, must have read it 20 times, but had never got round to getting the second.

I really enjoyed this. I love how Marshall used miniscule details to describe a place, pointing out the sort of things you never notice until they aren't there anymore. Plot wise its a pretty straight forward 'hunt
  • One of Us
  • The Frightened Man (Denton, #1)
  • The Dead Letters
  • Emerald Germs of Ireland
  • While Galileo Preys (Esme Stuart #1)
  • A Garden Of Vipers (Carson Ryder, #3)
  • 2 in the Hat
  • Black Butterflies
  • The Lure
  • God Is a Bullet
  • The Wildman
  • End of the World Blues
  • Code 61
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • Deadly Visions
  • The Fifth Servant
  • The Sculptor (Sam Markham, #1)
  • Best New Horror 22 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #22)
A pseudonym used by Michael Marshall Smith

Michael Marshall Smith (who dropped the "Smith" to write The Straw Men) lives in north London with his wife Paula, and is currently working on screenplays and his next book, while providing two cats with somewhere warm and comfortable to sit.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more inf

Straw Men (3 books)
  • The Straw Men (Straw Men #1)
  • Blood of Angels (Straw Men)
“We search for fault because it let's God off the hook, and without Him we don 't know where to turn.” 0 likes
“What's true is immaterial. It's what people believe. Belief is the truth.” 0 likes