Start by marking “Scones, Skulls & Scams (Lexy Baker #8)” as Want to Read:
Scones, Skulls & Scams (Lexy Baker #8)

Scones, Skulls & Scams (Lexy Baker Cozy Mystery #8)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  726 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Brook Ridge Falls favorite bakery owner, Lexy Baker, has everything she ever wanted. A new husband she adores. A thriving bakery business. Everything is going great.

... Until a new bakery springs up across the street and tries every trick in the book to put her out of business!

Lexy smells something rotten about the bakery and it isn’t just their stale brownies. When her
Published January 6th 2014 (first published January 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Scones, Skulls & Scams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scones, Skulls & Scams

Sandie Parrish
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sconces, a skull, & a scam

This was an enjoyable book to read, with another bakery directly across the street from Lexi's that sells store bought items? A skull with two front gold teeth. Then the Ladies Detective group sets to work trying to solve the mystery how can any thing go wrong? ENJOY!!
Mona Storm
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute mystery. The main character is obviously Lexy Baker Her grandmother Mona and the grandmothers 3 friends are trying to solve a murder. The characters are sweet for the most part
It's nice to take a break from all the serious books and read something in the lighter genre Fast reading
Lyn Jenkins
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Million dollar scam.

This episode was a bit different ad you knew who the baddies were, you jusf had to see how uut all came together. When it came together it hit the mark perfectly. Wonderful story and told well.
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Smile

The amateur sleuths are at it again. They crawl around in sewers to solve this one. A great escapade. I enjoyed this installment of Lexy and the amateur detectives.
Miss W Book Reviews
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lexy is back and now a married woman, having just returned from her honeymoon. When she returns she discovers a new bakery across the street has popped up and the new bakery is eerily similar to Lexy's and trying to do everything to put Lexy out of business.
As if that isn't enough, Lexy's bakery is broken into but nothing is taken, or is it?

In other news a skull is found in the sewer construction right outside of Lexy's bakery and Nans and crew are off to solve a 70 year old case which is righ
Bonnie Keck
Mar 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Kindle Unlimited, Leighann Dobbs writes under Leighann Dobbs, Annie Dobbs and (soon) L.A. Dobbs but her real name {not sure if she writes under that one} is Lee Dobbins, Hazel Martin Mysteries only one I found for this type with her, she has not made sure that terms used match the British terms as well as in other areas for that period of architecture and assorted styles.

The Notch Cozy Mystery Series {5 out as of this writing} and the Blackbore Sisters Cozy Mysteries are not on Kindle Unlimited
Jenn Rohm
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series is a lighthearted read. While I usually figure out the mystery plot early on, it is fun to see how the Author takes us from point a to b. The characters are part of the draw for me as well. You start to think of yourself as one of them.
Lisa
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Lexi Baker is newly married to her detective husband from earlier in the series, Jack Perillo. Her bakery is experiencing difficulties on all sides...literally: construction on the sidewalk in front is keep customers away and a competitor has opened shop right across the street, drawing those customers in with sales galore! In the meantime, the construction crew dig up a skull from the tunnels under the street. How old is it? Who is it? Of course Lexi and Nan and her crew must investigate, much ...more
Melissa
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Cozy Mystery Readers
I've read the previous books in the Lexy Baker series prior to reading "Scones, Skulls, & Scams." This has been my least favorite book in the series. The story itself seemed a bit scattered. I wasn't a fan of Caraleigh. There was mention of Caraleigh's brother, Harvey, but he had very little (practically no) involvement in the story. Each book in the series has been light, cute, and a super quick read. I would call the series "mind candy" - no blood or gore, no heavy thinking, no crazy twist ...more
Diana
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cute,cute story! Once again, Lexy and her friends have another murder to investigate! But this one involves another bakery, and it's right across the street from Lexy's bakery, "The Cup And Cake". Who doesn't like a little competition? Well, they have more in common than just scones, but these two bakery owners will never be friends, and for good reasons. This was a quick and easy read, and that was fine with me. Sometimes I don't want to read something too intense, and this was fun as well as a ...more
Marti
May 23, 2014 rated it liked it
This is another of the frothy type books in the Lexy Baker Cozy Mystery series. I have got to get better at picking out books which have some 'meat' to them. It is entertaining enough. While she and Jack are on their honeymoon, another bakery moves in across the street. It is a scam--the owner buys pastries from the grocery store, and sells them for a discount, in order to gain access to Lexy's basement, where a treasure is rumored to be. Once again, NANS--that irritating nickname for her grandm ...more
Pauline Blow
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not going to give away any of the plot, I don't agree with that, tho' I will say, I really enjoyed this book, as I did the others. There's some tense moments and some funny moments and the things they say and how they say them, gets me funny looks when I start laughing out. I just love the way the old ladies get into predicaments (and drag poor Lexy along too). There, and I've given nothing away and I will be recommending Lexy's cake shop to my friends. Now, how do we get there? ☕
Sandy Bartles
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mystery in the Sewers

I really enjoyed this latest Lexy Baker book. Levy has a business rival who has opened a business across the street from her. Thanks to major sewer work going on in the street right in front of the Cake and Bake and her rival having a major sale, Lexy is losing a lot of business. You need to read the story to find out what happens when a sewer worker finds a human skull with two gold front teeth!
Tere Fredericks
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cute Cozy Mystery

I especially love the ones with food involved. Oddly, as the title suggests, this one has scones. Has a nice skull, found right in the middle of town. Add a basement that's never been cleaned, and the scams coming not just from one place - and you have a nice cozy mystery. Oh, and the Ladies' Detective Agency. Lots of fun. Gotta get me one of those purses!
elaine m. suda
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bakery Antics

I really enjoyed reading this story about Lexy and her elderly sleuths. The Ladies Detectives Club were really hysterical with their antics and Lexy joined in right with them. Their mystery-solving actions almost got them in big trouble, but the ladies got themselves out right in time. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Ann
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I like this book . Bakery shoppes competing against one another but why. The front street sewer is dug up. Older ladies at it again sleuth detectives they are. Is this new bakery trying to close her famous bakery down or what. What is happening. Once the ladies find out whats really happening everyone appears. So who really is after them?
arlene
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A scrumptious reading

A scrumptious ready for a late night with a nice cup of tea with a delicious scone or maybe a cup cake or how about some oatmeal cookies you can accompany either one of them with hot cocoa or milk which ever you prefer and them get in comfortable and snuggly place and start reading ... night night
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2015 rated it liked it
It sounded very good but I want disappointed. The story was thin and obvious, the characters flat. I won't read the rest of this series but it was worth everything I paid for it...the book was free.
Mary Schildman
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Book 8 of Lexy Baker Bakery series

Book 8 of Lexy Baker Bakery series

This cozy mystery had a few more twist and turns than previous ones, very nice plot. Again if you are paying attention, you know the bad guys/gals but an enjoyable tale. Now to book 9.
Ginny Yancey
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very Exciting

I love this series. Such fun short who dun it's. This book is probably my favorite yet. The ending was just exhilarating. And I really thought I had this one all figured out early too...
Phycilla Gable
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazon review

Really cute book and fun to read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a delightful book. You'll laugh all the way through it.
Debbie
Apr 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Another fun, crazy adventure with Lexy, gandma and friends!
wendy
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A light fun read

this is the 2nd Lexy Baker book I've read, and they were both great. fun, likeable characters, fast plot, with some nice twists
Joseph
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read

It was really good not many characters in this one loved this plot to wasn't my favourite but I did like it x
Marilyn
awesome story!!!!!!!!
Heather
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love all the books in this series. The characters are funny, especially Nans and the plot really moved along. Ready to start on the next one!
Zoë
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not as good as the last book. The whole story was pretty obvious. I usually like these books but i just felt the writers heart wasnt in this one and it dragged. Sorry
Tina11762
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Fun,quick read. It's a good book to read while waiting for appointments because it's light.
Kay Van Slyke
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lexy's adventures are always a fun, fast read. There was so much talk about the scones that I wish Leighann had included the recipe!!
Lianne Smith
Jul 13, 2016
  • Sweet Suspects (Donut Shop Mystery, #12)
  • Deadly Arrangements (Flower Shop Mystery Series, #2)
  • The Hope Diamond (A Sweet, Delicious, Madness Cozy Mystery #1)
  • A Crusty Murder (Deadly Bakery, #1)
  • Mayhem in Christmas River (Christmas River #2)
  • Dying for Dinner Rolls (Chubby Chicks Club, #1)
  • Anything for a Story (Nosy Neighbor Mystery #1)
  • Cars, Cats and Crooks (Kimble Detective Agency, #1)
  • Southern Peach Pie and a Dead Guy (Poppy Peters, #1)
  • A Pinch of Sea Salt and a Dash of Murder (Outer Banks Baker Mystery #1)
  • Watered Down Death (Coppin's Locks Mystery #1)
  • Classmate Murders (A Jim Richards Murder Mystery #1)
  • The Murder Pit (A Moose River Mystery, #1)
  • Death by Chocolate Sundae (Caesars Creek Mysteries #2)
  • Schooled in Lies (Kendra Clayton Mystery, #4)
  • Lana'i of the Tiger
  • Death by Chocolate (Dessert First Cozy Mysteries, #1)
  • Harbor Ice (Jack Beale Mystery #1)
USA Today bestselling author, Leighann Dobbs, discovered her passion for writing after a twenty year career as a software engineer. She lives in New Hampshire with her husband Bruce, their trusty Chihuahua mix Mojo and beautiful rescue cat, Kitty.

Her book "Dead Wrong" won the "Best Mystery Romance" award at the 2014 Indie Romance Convention.

Her book "Ghostly Paws" was the 2015 Chanticleer Mystery
More about Leighann Dobbs

Lexy Baker Cozy Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Killer Cupcakes (Lexy Baker #1)
  • Dying for Danish (Lexy Baker #2)
  • Murder, Money & Marzipan (Lexy Baker #3)
  • 3 Bodies and a Biscotti (Lexy Baker #4)
  • Brownies, Bodies & Bad Guys (Lexy Baker #5)
  • Bake, Battle & Roll (Lexy Baker #6)
  • Wedded Blintz (Lexy Baker #7)
  • Ice Cream Murder (Lexy Baker #9)
  • Mummified Meringues (Lexy Baker #10)
  • Brutal Brûlée (Lexy Baker #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
  • Six Wakes
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Bluegate Fields (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #6)
  • Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • American by Day
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)