Start by marking “Summer of the Loon” as Want to Read:
Summer of the Loon

Summer of the Loon

Kindle Edition

Life can change in a heartbeat…

Ali Jenson's life changed forever the moment her mother died. The sixteen-year-old was suddenly swept away from the life she knew in California to live with her estranged grandfather in the deep woods of northern Minnesota. Ali's life has never been easy, but it seems her grandfather is trying his best to make it even more diffi
Kindle Edition
Published February 17th 2014 by Deanna Lynn Sletten (first published February 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Summer of the Loon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of the Loon

Start your review of Summer of the Loon
Susan's Reviews
Nice romance set in rural Minnesota

A decent story with a sweet young girl and handsome young lad. nothing explicit. A light romance. For fans if this author.
Leona
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A nice story about finding your family and reconnecting. Young Adult romance.
Nothing really powerful.
Racheal
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have had the privilege and honor of getting an advanced copy of Summer of the Loon by Deanna Lynn Sletten. I have enjoyed the stories that I have read by this author but this story was so much different. It was an amazing and a very powerful story. This was by far one of the best stories that I have read in a very long time. It touched on every emotion and definitely had me keep turning the pages. It was so difficult to put the kindle down every time I had to do some thing in “real life". I fo ...more
Amanda
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could give this more than 5 stars because it deserves many many more!

I was told from a great friend to read this book, she made me add it to my wish list, to be read pile, etc and then she told me the second it was on Amazon to buy it and read it! Needless to say it was a great suggestion because it was a fantastic book!

16 year old Ali doesn't have the life of a normal teenager. Having to be the one to take care of her mother instead of the other way around has made her grow up a lot f
Marianne Broccolo Bair
Really enjoyed this book

Summer of the Loon was an unexpected surprise. . Wasn't sure if I would like it, but once I started reading I found this Book hard to put down. Loved it and will definitely be reading more by Deanna Lynn Sletten. Great storyteller.
Susan (The Book Bag)
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I know when I start one of Deanna's books that I am going to enjoy the story so, so much. When I get one of her books, I drop whatever I am reading and doing so that I can dive into the new world she has created for us. And I am never disappointed. She writes such wonderful, down to earth, believable stories with very likable characters.

Summer of the Loon was the perfect book to read right now, in the dead of winter, with the cold and snow blowing around me. The story takes place during the summ
Tia Bach
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Growing up is hard. For Ali Jenson, it was something she had to do at a very young age. With no father and a mother lost in regret and alcohol, Ali didn't have a typical childhood. When her mother dies unexpectedly, Ali goes to live with the grandfather long cut out of their lives. Did he sever the ties or did her mother? There's so much Ali doesn't know.

Ben Jenson lives with his own regrets and loss. He doesn't know his granddaughter. Suddenly, she is moving in. When he looks at her, he sees hi
Kerry Reis
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-version
Sixteen-year-old Ali Jenson, who was raised by her single mother in Southern California and is now dealing with the sudden death of her mother, is being forced to move away from her friends and former life to Northern Minnesota to live with her grandfather, a man she has never met nor was told anything about by her mother. Ben Jenson, still dealing with the loss of his dear wife four years ago and the estrangement of his daughter at the time she became pregnant with Ali, is determined to connect ...more
Dan Arndt
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, normally, I don't really read romance types of books. Even though I'm still considered a "hopeless" romantic, I try to stay away from those sappy love stories. I like action and strong characters that have to face some pretty hard things in order to survive. Yet, every so often I'll pick up a book that has some kind of love story attached to it.

Let me just say that this book was far from the sappy love story. It had a love story included in with the plot, but it took a backseat to an amazin
Diana Hockley
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deanna Lynn Sletton's books are always good value and this one is superb! The story of Ali - orphaned grand-daughter of Ben, cranky father of Ali's mother - is set during the summer by a lake in Minnesota.

Ali's struggle to come to terms with the death of her alcoholic mother and with her Ben's part in Angela's departure seventeen years previously, is told in beautiful, calm prose. Jenny - Ben's partner and her son, Chase, support Ali in her efforts to get close to Ben, whose grief at losing his
Norma Budden
Summer of the Loon tells the story of a teenager whose mother died from substance abuse and how she was moved across the country - forced to leave her friends and everything familiar behind - to live with a grandfather she had never known, a grandfather whose love she questioned.

This is a wholesome story involving a young couple who meet and get along well together from the beginning. They work side by side at the lodge when required and talk about their hopes and dreams, among other things, lat
Barbara Lohr
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel offers a thoughtful journey into the deep woods of Minnesota...and the human heart. Ali loses her mother and is sent to her only living relative, a grandfather she's never met. Ben lives deep in the woods and has a generator in his garage. Lights out at nine each night, so a bit of a shock for the city girl. The story charts their relationship, along with a sweet romance with Chase, who works at a nearby lodge which Ben once owned and operated. The characters are good people with soli ...more
Kathie
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free copy of this wonderful book through Goodreads first reader program. From the start I had to keep reading to know how life ended up for the main character. I thought this story was well written and kept me interested. I have read a lot of stories lately that I really disliked the endings however the ending of this story was upbeat and enjoyable. I will be looking for other books by this author.
Hal
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 14-reads
This has been described as a woman's book. I big to differ. It is an interesting, well written article about a grandfather and his granddaughter thrown together by tragedy and circumstance. The writer successfully pulled together how they finally came to accept each other and deal positively with the deaths of mother, daughter and wife. Romance plays a minor role in the story.
Dianna
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, love
Once again, Deanna has a home run. I have read every book she has written. Proud to say I am a big fan.

Cannot wait for the next book.
Deb Soltesz
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming story. Nice summer read.
Barbara Tobey
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Wonderful eye wash material. Yes, I shed many tears. So many heartbreaking and heartfelt moments. Initially I did not think I could relate to a sixteen year old girl. She had to contend with her grumpy grandfather. I could see parallels with my father. I tried to savor the book. It is relatively short but oh so full. I would read a chapter or two and then stop. About three quarters of the way through I finally could not make myself stop reading. It did become difficult when my eyes wou ...more
J.R. Alcyone
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't really call this a romance; set in Minnesota, it's more of a coming-of-age story about a 16-year-old girl which focuses on her relationship with her grandfather. Although it touches on some darker subject matter (alcoholism, a parent's death, having a child out of wedlock), the story never becomes too dark or scary, and the story's main characters remain good and likable people throughout. The prose reads fast and would be appropriate for young adult readers. That said, I read it as a ...more
Stephanie Gillett
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nicely written young adult novel. It's about a real kid in real life, facing real-life situations. Refreshing, considering what's out there! I gave it four stars because I felt like it was a little over the top hammering home the "don't have sex and screw up your life" message, which is not as realistic as the "be smart and use protection" message kids really need to hear. But I still liked it!
Donna O'Brien
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book. One of the best I have read in a very long time. The story was easy to read and all ages would enjoy it.

Characters were real. Ali and chase were great young people. No and the grandfather were great th with the grandfather being stubborn all his life with Ali having to show him the way. The story could have confined and seemed to end abruptly.
Terri Mastraieni
A new beginning

This book tells the story of a young girl left all alone except for a grandfather that she never met.It tells the story of the struggle between two people who are living in the past, trying to start a new life together. There are a lot of roadblocks along the way before they finally connect. A good read!
Penny
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I typically don't read a lot of romance novels, but this one was a good choice. It wasn't too sappy. I enjoyed learning a little about the Minnesota North Country, where Cinda has roots. I liked the attention to nature in this story.
Jean Baxter
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story I enjoyed. Maybe a little predictable yet held my interest with great characters and descriptions of the north woods making you feel like you were right there with them. Dealt with some tough subject matters but handled with honesty and compassion.
Cas
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great reading

Very good book. Read it in one day. I don't usually read this type of book, but I thought I would give it a try. I really enjoyed the characters and hated that the book had to end.

Joy
Not my cup of tea but others may love it.
Judy
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice young adult coming of age story set in the woods at a lakeside resort.
Debbie Banks
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written...you get into the minds of the characters and it’s almost like you are them! Some was heart wrenching and some was heartfelt emotions! Would recommend this to everyone!!
Kathryn Dunham
Nov 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was a waste of time!!
I could have told the whole book in 4 sentences.
Don't waste your time!!
Very simple plot and writing value.
Kim Cano
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great family story with likeable characters that takes place in Northern Minnesota. My favorite was Ben, the grouchy old man. Loved it when he got into a confrontation with another man who deserved what he gave him. This is the 4th novel I've read by Deanna Lynn Sletten. I've enjoyed all her books and plan to read more. I listened to this one on audiobook. Great way to read when your eyes are tired.
Sandra
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book...a fast read because you won't want to put it down. Its about a crusty old grandpa and a granddaughter that needs him as much as he needs her...both stubborn and living in the past. Its set in Minnesota and the author writes so well that you feel like your there with them.
I'm enjoying this author, another new to me and I will definitely read more of her books.

From Amazon:
Life can change in a heartbeat...

Ali Jenson's life changed forever the moment her mother died. T

• The Planter's Wife
  • The Promise
  • Sunset on Whisling Island (Whisling Island series Book 1)
  • True to Me
  • Saltwater Studios (a Westcott Bay Novel Book 2)
  • The Bright Season (Book 6)
  • A Riviera Retreat
  • Saltwater Cove (a Westcott Bay Novel Book 1)
  • Catriona's War
  • Life, Part 2: Lydia's Story--The Second Chance (Life in Palmyrton Book 1)
  • The Farmhouse: A Hickory Grove Novel
  • Finding Faith (Almost a Billionaire #1)
  • One Summer in Italy (The Waratah Inn Book 2)
  • The Summer Sisters (The Waratah Inn Book 3)
  • Sisters (Sun Valley #1)
  • The Waratah Inn
  • The Family Journal
  • Summer at the Lakeside Resort (Lakeside Resort #2)
Deanna Lynn Sletten is the author of MISS ETTA, THE WOMEN OF GREAT HERON LAKE, MAGGIE'S TURN, THE LAKE HARRIET SERIES, and several other titles. She writes heartwarming women's fiction and romance novels with unforgettable characters. She has also written one middle-grade novel that takes you on the adventure of a lifetime. Deanna believes in fate, destiny, love at first sight, soul mates, second ...more

News & Interviews

“Halverson turned around as Ben approached him. "Well, Ben Jenson, imagine seeing you here. Just had a nice little talk with your granddaughter." Ben walked right up to Halverson and punched him in the face so hard he flew off his barstool and onto the floor.” 0 likes