Start by marking “Summer of the Loon” as Want to Read:
Summer of the Loon

Summer of the Loon

Kindle Edition

Life can change in a heartbeat…

Ali Jenson's life changed forever the moment her mother died. The sixteen-year-old was suddenly swept away from the life she knew in California to live with her estranged grandfather in the deep woods of northern Minnesota. Ali's life has never been easy, but it seems her grandfather is trying his best to make it even more diffi
Kindle Edition
Published February 17th 2014 by Deanna Lynn Sletten (first published February 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Summer of the Loon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of the Loon

Leona
Feb 18, 2017 Leona rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A nice story about finding your family and reconnecting. Young Adult romance.
Nothing really powerful.
Amanda
Mar 01, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I wish I could give this more than 5 stars because it deserves many many more!

I was told from a great friend to read this book, she made me add it to my wish list, to be read pile, etc and then she told me the second it was on Amazon to buy it and read it! Needless to say it was a great suggestion because it was a fantastic book!

16 year old Ali doesn't have the life of a normal teenager. Having to be the one to take care of her mother instead of the other way around has made her grow up a lot f
Susan (The Book Bag)
Jan 20, 2014 Susan (The Book Bag) rated it it was amazing
I know when I start one of Deanna's books that I am going to enjoy the story so, so much. When I get one of her books, I drop whatever I am reading and doing so that I can dive into the new world she has created for us. And I am never disappointed. She writes such wonderful, down to earth, believable stories with very likable characters.

Summer of the Loon was the perfect book to read right now, in the dead of winter, with the cold and snow blowing around me. The story takes place during the summ
Racheal
Feb 18, 2014 Racheal rated it it was amazing
I have had the privilege and honor of getting an advanced copy of Summer of the Loon by Deanna Lynn Sletten. I have enjoyed the stories that I have read by this author but this story was so much different. It was an amazing and a very powerful story. This was by far one of the best stories that I have read in a very long time. It touched on every emotion and definitely had me keep turning the pages. It was so difficult to put the kindle down every time I had to do some thing in “real life". I fo ...more
Tia Bach
Mar 02, 2014 Tia Bach rated it it was amazing
Growing up is hard. For Ali Jenson, it was something she had to do at a very young age. With no father and a mother lost in regret and alcohol, Ali didn't have a typical childhood. When her mother dies unexpectedly, Ali goes to live with the grandfather long cut out of their lives. Did he sever the ties or did her mother? There's so much Ali doesn't know.

Ben Jenson lives with his own regrets and loss. He doesn't know his granddaughter. Suddenly, she is moving in. When he looks at her, he sees hi
Kerry Reis
Mar 08, 2014 Kerry Reis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-version
Sixteen-year-old Ali Jenson, who was raised by her single mother in Southern California and is now dealing with the sudden death of her mother, is being forced to move away from her friends and former life to Northern Minnesota to live with her grandfather, a man she has never met nor was told anything about by her mother. Ben Jenson, still dealing with the loss of his dear wife four years ago and the estrangement of his daughter at the time she became pregnant with Ali, is determined to connect ...more
Dan Arndt
Jun 03, 2014 Dan Arndt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, normally, I don't really read romance types of books. Even though I'm still considered a "hopeless" romantic, I try to stay away from those sappy love stories. I like action and strong characters that have to face some pretty hard things in order to survive. Yet, every so often I'll pick up a book that has some kind of love story attached to it.

Let me just say that this book was far from the sappy love story. It had a love story included in with the plot, but it took a backseat to an amazin
Diana Hockley
Mar 21, 2014 Diana Hockley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deanna Lynn Sletton's books are always good value and this one is superb! The story of Ali - orphaned grand-daughter of Ben, cranky father of Ali's mother - is set during the summer by a lake in Minnesota.

Ali's struggle to come to terms with the death of her alcoholic mother and with her Ben's part in Angela's departure seventeen years previously, is told in beautiful, calm prose. Jenny - Ben's partner and her son, Chase, support Ali in her efforts to get close to Ben, whose grief at losing his
Norma Budden
Summer of the Loon tells the story of a teenager whose mother died from substance abuse and how she was moved across the country - forced to leave her friends and everything familiar behind - to live with a grandfather she had never known, a grandfather whose love she questioned.

This is a wholesome story involving a young couple who meet and get along well together from the beginning. They work side by side at the lodge when required and talk about their hopes and dreams, among other things, lat
Barbara Lohr
Jun 28, 2014 Barbara Lohr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel offers a thoughtful journey into the deep woods of Minnesota...and the human heart. Ali loses her mother and is sent to her only living relative, a grandfather she's never met. Ben lives deep in the woods and has a generator in his garage. Lights out at nine each night, so a bit of a shock for the city girl. The story charts their relationship, along with a sweet romance with Chase, who works at a nearby lodge which Ben once owned and operated. The characters are good people with soli ...more
Kathie
Apr 24, 2014 Kathie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free copy of this wonderful book through Goodreads first reader program. From the start I had to keep reading to know how life ended up for the main character. I thought this story was well written and kept me interested. I have read a lot of stories lately that I really disliked the endings however the ending of this story was upbeat and enjoyable. I will be looking for other books by this author.
Hal
Apr 15, 2014 Hal rated it really liked it
Shelves: 14-reads
This has been described as a woman's book. I big to differ. It is an interesting, well written article about a grandfather and his granddaughter thrown together by tragedy and circumstance. The writer successfully pulled together how they finally came to accept each other and deal positively with the deaths of mother, daughter and wife. Romance plays a minor role in the story.
Dianna
Mar 20, 2014 Dianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, love
Once again, Deanna has a home run. I have read every book she has written. Proud to say I am a big fan.

Cannot wait for the next book.
Deb Soltesz
May 24, 2014 Deb Soltesz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming story. Nice summer read.
Diana L Thomas
Dec 31, 2016 Diana L Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Decision

I'm not sure if I enjoyed the love story of the family or the love expressed for the loons. There is so much compassion between Ali, Ben, Chase and Jo you want t be part of their family. Reading about the loons has made me put Minnesota and seeing the loons on my travel bucket list. This was a wonderful book.
Sandra
I really liked this book...a fast read because you won't want to put it down. Its about a crusty old grandpa and a granddaughter that needs him as much as he needs her...both stubborn and living in the past. Its set in Minnesota and the author writes so well that you feel like your there with them.
I'm enjoying this author, another new to me and I will definitely read more of her books.

From Amazon:
Life can change in a heartbeat...

Ali Jenson's life changed forever the moment her mother died. T
Ann Swann
Jul 05, 2014 Ann Swann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Big Stars for Summer of the Loon

Sitting down with a new Deanna Lynn Sletten book is like having lunch with an old friend. As soon as I read the first few sentences, I begin to relax. Deanna’s smooth writing style takes me immediately into the story. The characters are so believable, so familiar (like an old friend) that I feel an instant connection with them.

When Ali, a junior in high school, loses her mom to an overdose of pills and booze, the teen has to leave her California home and move al
Becky
Aug 11, 2016 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful story of a young girl who is taken away from a life she knew in California to Minnesota to live with family and folks she never knew. Ali has lived with her alcoholic mother all of her life. Never knowing who her father was or anything about her mothers past. When Ali finds her mother dead after an over dose or suicide, she goes to live with her estranged, grumpy Grandfather Bill at a resort in Minnesota. This is a beautiful story of love, forgiveness, family and new loves. My heart ...more
Vivian
Apr 20, 2016 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
16 year-old, Ali, is a city girl who's brought to the mid-west after her mother's tragic death. Now living with a grandfather she had never met before, she's forced to accept new surroundings while still holding on to her ideals. Ali ends up getting more than she bargained for.
~ Although a bit juvenile in its simplicity; and at times difficult to continue because of it, I would ultimately consider it a cute Summer read.
Andrea
Dec 07, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful book

This is the kind of book that everyone should read. The story feels so real, I fell in love with Ali. Despite everything she went through, she kept herself together and positive. And Chase, Jo and of course Ben, they are just wonderful people. This book made me laugh and cry but truly, it just made me feel good. Made me stop and think what I have and what is really important to me....my son, my treasure. Great reading.

Dixie Minor
Aug 11, 2014 Dixie Minor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! The book had such a sense of place; the setting was beautiful. I felt like I had actually spent the summer in Minnesota. I loved the way the loons were gently interwoven into the book and the mood and tone they helped set. Ali faced her difficulties. I admired her strength and enjoyed the hopefulness of the healing that takes place in the book. Also enjoyed the romance-both generations'!
Phyllis Lautenschlaeger
A struggle to find "home" for Ali and peace for her angry grandfather,Ben.

A bittersweet story of sending love away and finally receiving it again as a gift. Seventeen year old Ali lives a life caring for her troubled mother and then her mother dies leaving Ali no choice but to go far from California to the far north and a complete shift in lifestyle. I enjoyed the story was written and it is well worth reading.
Mary E
Jun 14, 2016 Mary E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the characters in the story. It was sad that so much time had been lost between the grandfather and granddaughter but both grew into a good strong relationship. A lot of the story was somewhat predictable but that is not necessarily a bad thing either. It is comforting when things work out as we want them to.
Janet Friesner
Feb 01, 2016 Janet Friesner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Borrowed this book from the Amazon Prime Library because I had recently read another book by this author and enjoyed it. This is the story of a young girl who lives in California, loses her mother and goes to live with her grandfather who she had never met. He lives on a lake in the north woods of Minnesota. It was fast moving and finished it in one day. Did not put it down.
Teri Heyer
Jun 26, 2014 Teri Heyer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: From YA to "Old" Adult
Recommended to Teri by: The Author on Twitter
'Summer of the Loon' is a heartwarming story of family, friendship, trust and love. This is the first book I've read by Deanna Lynn Sletten, but it definitely won't be the last. In fact, I liked it so much that I promptly read another one of her books, 'Widow, Virgin, Whore.' I intend to read all of this author's books, they're that good.
Jeff Gallagher
Jul 02, 2015 Jeff Gallagher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are native to Minnesota this is a good read. You will enjoy all the small things in the book that remind you of home. The loons, lakes, summer storms, extremes in temperature are all part of Minnesota life. This book give you an idea of what a native Californian would think of it all. It mixes in the relationship between a grandfather and granddaughter which is a plus.
David Kapsch
Fun read

Having grown up in a small northern Minnesota town she nails the feel. Was it predictable yes but I didn't mind as I read for the enjoyment and this is exactly what was needed.
LeeAnn
May 27, 2015 LeeAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best Kind of Beach Read

Or any other time you are looking for a little romance plus lots of great character development and interaction. Age of main character gives it great adult--young adult crossover appeal. Would definitely read more by Sletten.
Diana
Jun 07, 2016 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a surprisingly good book that I could highly recommend to anyone looking for a smart & enjoyable read for the summer.
Stacey Wright Aumock
3.5 starts. Sweet, predictable book. It was an easy, nice read - a good break from the psychological thrillers I've been reading
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Family Affair: Christmas (Truth in Lies, #5)
  • When You Believe
  • Taxi Delivery
  • Cornered Coyote (Coyote, #3)
  • Passport to Happiness
  • Home Before Dark (Carolina Moon #1)
  • Silver Girl (A Rainey & Levine Thriller #5)
  • Veda
  • Henry
  • Colby's Child
  • Sister Girl
  • What Happens After...
  • Go Home Lake
  • Piggy
  • Soul Sisters (Soul Sisters, #1)
  • Training Wheels
  • Bee Summers
  • The Letter
Deanna Lynn Sletten writes heartwarming women's fiction and romance novels with unforgettable characters. She has also written one middle-grade novel that takes you on the adventure of a lifetime. She began her writing career self-publishing three novels in 2012 and has since published several novels. Her next novel will be published in June 2017 by Lake Union Publishing. Deanna believes in fate, ...more
More about Deanna Lynn Sletten...