Start by marking “Fireball (The Fireball Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fireball (The Fireball Trilogy, #1)

Fireball (The Fireball Trilogy #1)

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  180 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Two cousins are thrust into a parallel reality when they travel through time and fire in the first book of the alternative history Fireball Trilogy, from critically acclaimed Tripods author John Christopher.
Simon and his cousin Brad hadn t wanted to spend the summer together. And the quiet London suburb where Simon lived was the last place they expected anything unusual t
Mass Market Paperback, 148 pages
Published 1981 by Tempo

To ask other readers questions about Fireball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fireball

Amanda
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the few YA John Christopher books I never got around to reading.
Remembered it was in the local library of my hometown when I was in junior high (over 15 years ago!);
during a visit there last week I checked on a whim to see if they still had it.
They did! So I've checked it out and am giving it a go.

I might never have become as big a reader as I am today, if I hadn't had to read one of his books
(The White Mountains, first in the Tripods Trilogy) in 6th grade. I am still thankful for that
Metaphorosis
3 stars - Metaphorosis Reviews

A British teenager and his visiting American cousin are drawn through a seeming ball of lightning into another world, in which they face immediate danger.

I like John Christopher. His Prince in Waiting and Lotus Caves were key books for me, growing up, and I've enjoyed many of his other books as well. This book sees him applying his solid Young Adult approach to another SF trope - in this case, alternate worlds.

The problem is that the story feels very formulaic - the
David Nichols
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, alt-history
This first volume of a trilogy of young-adult novels finds Simon and Brad, two cousins from our own 20th century, transported by a mysterious portal to an alternate Earth where the Roman Empire never fell. Simon, following his capture, enslavement, and brief employment as a gladiator, is reunited with Brad, who has been adopted by a Christian patrician family. The two use their other-worldly knowledge to aid a Christian revolt against the Empire, and, when things don't turn out as planned, leave ...more
Joe
Jan 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Ah, John Christopher. I loved reading all his books as a young teen. This series, though, pissed me off entirely. Brad and Simon are two boys thrown back in time ala A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court with ball lightning. Deux ex machina abounds in this series, but I liked the settings. It's just that the entire books can be summed up by Simon constantly struggling and Brad, for whatever reason, always one upping him and basically being an annoying know-it-all. I can't really recommend ...more
Samuel
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Least enjoyable John Christopher novel I've been exposed to. I get the impression that the author wanted to hit some pay dirt after a lengthy investment of research into ancient Roman history and culture. This offering doesn't make the subject matter any more tasty. As this is the first in a trilogy, I'm a bit hesistant to continue with the rest of the books. Giving myself a bit more time to get the taste out of my mouth before going on.
Kimbolimbo
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2009
This was the first John Christopher book that I could put down and forget about. Kind of makes me sad since he's my favorite author, but I guess every good writer can have at least one book that doesn't engage their readers. I do have to say I learned a lot about the Roman Empire that I didn't know before, or care to know before, now I could read a bit on the rise and fall of the Roman Empire and find it semi-interesting for a change.
Megan
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Definitely a fun, fast read. I liked how well history was incorporated into the alternative universe. Isn't a substitute for the Tripod books though. A longer review here:

M Razavy
قبلا (یعنی بچگی هام) این مجموعه سه جلدی رو خونده بودم. ولی خوبی حافظه ضعیف اینه که می تونی یه کتاب رو دوباره بخونی، بدون اینکه یادت باشه روند داستان یا آخرش چه طوریه:))
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Megan no h
Cover Story: Classically Ugly
BFF Charm: Sure, Why Not? and Maybe
Swoonworthy Scale: 0
Talky Talk: Straight Forward
Bonus Factors: Parallel Universes, Gladiators
Relationship Status: Cousin Who Visits Once Every Couple of Years

Read the full book report here.
Rebecca
Traveling to an alternative universe is an interesting way to frame an historical novel. The tension between the two cousins is authentic, the pacing is quick, and there is plenty of action. The ending forces you to go on to the next book to learn what happens--and that is not a bad thing. I just wish Christopher had included the Celts or others living in Britain besides the Romans.
Reihane
اگه به خاطر سه پایه های کریستوفر بری سراغ این کتاب یه کمی ناامید می شی. اما اگه صرفاً به عنوان یه کتاب و یه مجموعه بری سراغش توی جایگاه خودش جالبه. اما به نظرم رده سنیش برای زیر سیزده سال بهتره. اما من خودم وقتی می خوندم به اندازه ی کافی جذبش شدم که تمومش کنم. جان کریستوفر کلاً خوب می نویسه. .
J
John Christopher's entrancing style shines (no pun intended) in Fireball. The historical and religious contexts are really intriguing. Perhpas not the best book to introduce a friend to Christopher with, but certainly one I'll read again!
Mary
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am a long standing fan of John Christopher and his young adult books. This one transports two boys back in time to different places and situations in Roman times in Britain. It is as much historical travel as time travel. Characters and settings are interesting and clear.
Zahra Moinfar
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
بهار 84
Tom Coates
Perfectly reasonable teen/young adult book that I first read when I was fourteen or so. Two kids get caught in a fireball and end up in Ancient Rome. Perfectly reasonable.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I liked it, but it wasn't as good as the Tripods books.
Twistyrob
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The book that got me reading fantasy novels at primary school. Still love it and want to read it again.
Terry
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
After reading the tripod books as a teen, I stumbled across this one as an adult. I really enjoyed it, as it combined survival with history. Worth seeking out.
Reasonable
  • Children of the Atom
  • Saturday, the Twelfth of October
  • Dark Piper
  • Nothing Human
  • Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine (Danny Dunn, #3)
  • Fat Men From Space
  • The Klaatu Terminus  (The Klaatu Diskos, #3)
  • Earthseed (Seed #1)
  • Quantum Coin (Coin, #2)
  • Secrets of the Book
  • The Pocket and the Pendant (Max Quick, #1)
  • Anna to the Infinite Power
Sam Youd was born in Huyton, Lancashire in April 1922, during an unseasonable snowstorm.

As a boy, he was devoted to the newly emergent genre of science-fiction: ‘In the early thirties,’ he later wrote, ‘we knew just enough about the solar system for its possibilities to be a magnet to the imagination.’

Over the following decades, his imagination flowed from science-fiction into general novels, cric
More about John Christopher

The Fireball Trilogy (3 books)
  • New Found Land (The Fireball Trilogy, #2)
  • Dragon Dance (The Fireball Trilogy, #3)