Start by marking “Strike Price (Lynn Dayton Thriller, #2)” as Want to Read:
Strike Price (Lynn Dayton Thriller, #2)

Strike Price

(Lynn Dayton #2)

Murder disrupts a billion-dollar oil deal STRIKE PRICE is a story about a business deal turned deadly, concluding with a plot to destroy a hidden, crucial US oil center and bring the US into confrontation with another global power. To stop the plot and save lives, up-by-the-bootstraps Lynn Dayton must trust a Cherokee elder who carries a corrosive secret. STRIKE PRICE feat ...more
Published January 25th 2014 by Nemaha Ridge Publishing Group LLC (first published April 21st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Strike Price, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strike Price

Start your review of Strike Price (Lynn Dayton Thriller, #2)
John Buissink
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost gave this book 5 stars and would have given it 4.5 stars if it were an option. This story allows one to imagine oneself flitting around Europe hobnobbing with the rich and then returning to Tulsa, Oklahoma and driving the dusty back roads of small-town USA. The story involves Saudi oil-rich sheiks, native Cherokees, Chechan mercenaries, and hometown American characters who are all embroiled in a plot to hinder the sale of an oil refinery. There are a number of believable characters who ...more
Frank Kryza
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a veteran of a long career in the international oil and gas sector, it was clear to me within the first couple of chapters of L.A. Starks’s masterful "Strike Price" that the author has deep and personal familiarity with the industry herself, both domestic and foreign. Too often, writers of fiction stoop to unconvincing caricature and cardboard insights when it comes to petroleum and the people who find it and it produce it.

In a marvelous series of scenes set in Paris with a high-ranking Saudi
James  Gary
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
L.A. Starks (13 Days: The Pythagoras Conspiracy) gets the smell and noise of the petroleum industry just right in her newest thriller Strike Price. Oil company executive Lynn Dayton faces off with the seven deadly sins: pride, lying tongues, hands that shed innocent blood, hearts that devise wicked plots, feet that run to ruin, deceitful witnesses, and those who sow discord. You'll find yourself turning the pages faster and faster as Lynn's hell-on-wheels race to end a chain of murders takes her ...more
Delta
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great thriller with non-stop action. Don't get too attached to any particular character because there are deaths right, left, and center. There is quite a bit of technical jargon thrown about, but I found it to be pretty interesting.

**I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.**
Maria Riegger
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
As with the first book in this series, this was a great read. Like the first book, Strike Price definitely hits it stride about 40% of the way through, where the reader starts to put all the mysterious pieces together. You will learn a TON about the oil industry, which I love, since I love learning new things. The setting of the novel definitely makes it an original mystery.
Curtis
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very interesting
Jai
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jumped right in without reading the first book (because I was too muddleheaded to realize it was a sequel) but I must say, it stood pretty well on its own and it didn't feel like I lost out on the backstory at all. For the most part, it was the brewing conspiracy that kept me glued in. The first half felt rather slow as there wasn't much action; it mostly laid down the framework for the oil and gas industry of which I wasn't very keen on. But as the pieces started coming together, the thrill gra ...more
Maria Rivas-mc
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
L.A. Starks is a super achiever and a runner - so is her character Lynn Dayton. Lynn is going through a stressful period in her life as she struggles to let go of her dying father while planning a new life, complete with young children. Then, there is the job. Lynn is a senior executive in an energy company battling sexism, the constant need to be on point, plus a crazy travel agenda. It’s a tough business that takes no prisoners. Add in murder, mayhem, and a cross border conspiracy and that’s e ...more
University of Chicago Magazine
L.A. Starks, MBA'83
Author

From the author: "Winner of Texas Association of Authors First Place in Mysteries/Thrillers: When several people involved in bidding for an oil refinery are murdered, the situation becomes far more than a billion-dollar business deal. A self-made woman in the energy industry, Lynn Dayton fights to save lives when escalating attacks reveal a hired assassin's plan to disrupt oil trade and draw another global power into dangerous confrontation with the United States. Are th
Lisa Cobb Sabatini
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I won a copy of Strike Price: Book 2 of the Lynn Dayton Thriller Series by L.A. Starks from Goodreads.

Strike Price, a Lynn Dayton Thriller by L.A. Starks, is a mystery with a very unique setting: the oil industry. From Oklahoma to Europe, fracking fields to boardrooms, and major cities to Native American reservations, protagonist Lynn Dayton is constantly on the move as she meets with Saudi princes, Russians, and others in pursuit of the best deal for her company's shareholders. But somebody doe
Linda Haas
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Strike Price is a suspense thriller that takes place in the oil industry. I admit, I’m not familiar with this industry although I’m more familiar now thanks to this book. When executives start looking to sell one of their refineries murders start happening. The executives travel to various locations by private jet which makes for a fun read. There is an interesting variety of characters including a Saudi prince. The reader learns a lot about the state of Oklahoma and the Native Americans who liv ...more
Deby Beran
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gripping action and tension are laced with momentous personal life changes for a complex heroine. It kept me guessing to the end and had a satisfying conclusion, not just an ending. So many books just end!
I won this book as a Goodreads Giveaway and am eager to read the other 2 Lynn Dayton books. I live in southeast New Mexico so oilfield culture and economy are everyday life.
Kudos for all the research, background and realism by L A Starks. I enjoyed the historical notes as my mother's family l
Tamra LeValley
Once again too technical for me. I continually got lost when the author attempted to describe the refinery process. This book had a fabulous plot and the characters were once again written so well that I felt as though I knew them personally. The way in which this novel was written was precise and it flowed perfectly.

It was however, predictable! You know pretty clearly who the trader of the team is. It was also a very slow book with little to no action in it. Although it really did not need muc
Mary
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received Strike Price in a Goodreads Giveaway.
This is a very good thriller. It has realistic characters, several twists, and a lot of interesting information about how the oil industry functions. The settings were partly in America and also international due to the way of oil industry negotiations. I also enjoyed the inclusion of Native American cultural references and characters. Lynn Dayton is a powerful female character who I hope to see in more books by the author.
As an added bonus the His
Irene
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Received a copy from Goodreads Giveaways.

Thought it was very well written and the storyline flowed smoothly. Not a lot of on the edge of your seat excitement but still an enjoyable read. A lot of jargon I did not understand but was still able to enjoy the book. Lost track of who was who a couple of times and had to backtrack. Well researched.

Well worth the read.
Jeff
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This was a wild ride. Many things I did not know about the oil industry and Native Americans in this book, I found very interesting for sure. It took me awhile to read this one, I had to back track a few times to catch up with the ever-changing story/plot which was very suspenceful and intriguing. I enjoyed reading Strike Price- very good book.
Shanyn
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the type of thriller that I enjoy - enough technical details to be real, and enough action to keep me going to the end, and then leaves me wanting MORE!

No spoilers but it is well written and I am looking forward to the reading more!
Michaela
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Impressive thriller with a very interesting mix of characters. Plot seems plausible and realistic. Highly recommended.

I got this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways.
Alaina Maxam
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS A VERY WELL WRITTEN STORY THAT HAS PLENTY OF TWISTS AND TURNS. IT WILL KEEP YOU GUESSING TO THE VERY END WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON
Stephen Boiko
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
riveting until the end.
Paula Ackley
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Ms. Sparks' knowledge of the oil/gasoline/petroleum industry as well as Native American history and culture is evident throughout Strike Price. The plot was a good one and there were many twists and turns, things you did not see coming and bodies falling all over the place. The writing is good and at times you could almost smell the petroleum in the air or felt the Oklahoma dust and heat.

While I appreciate all the research and knowledge that Ms.Sparks put into the writing of this book I felt bo
Carolyn
I won this book at good reads (which I LOVE). I did not love this book. It had interesting characters and a lot of action at times. For me toooo much technical detail. I had to read a few paragraphs twice to try to keep on track. I was way to far into the story before I got interested enough to finish.
Barbara White
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put Strike Price down. I was captured from the beginning....big business....its life and games. The pace of the story is quick and the characters will make you feel as though you know them. Thanks to Goodreads First Reads for my copy of Strike Price. I highly recommend this book, and look forward to more from L. A. Starks. Thanks.
Cindelu
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
I won this book on Goodreads. It was ok but had a lot of oil company information I wasn't really interested in. On the bright side someone was killed in almost every chapter. I read half of it but lost interest. I don't think I care who did it.
Virginia Serna
Jul 21, 2020
Marie Dahleh
Jul 27, 2019

• The Chestnut Man
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #11)
  • Story Genius: How to Use Brain Science to Go Beyond Outlining and Write a Riveting Novel (Before You Waste Three Years Writing 327 Pages That Go Nowhere)
  • Seasons (Tales of Valdemar, #13)
  • Let the Dead Keep Their Secrets (Gilded Age Mystery #3)
  • The Brief History of the Dead
  • Songs of Willow Frost
  • Fairy Tales for Little Folks
  • Proof of Conspiracy: How Trump's International Collusion Is Threatening American Democracy
  • Project Kid: 100 Ingenious Crafts for Family Fun
  • The Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide
  • Diary of Thoughts: Shortest Way Home by Pete Buttigieg - A Journal for Your Thoughts About the Book
  • American Sherlock: Murder, Forensics, and the Birth of American CSI
  • Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles, #1)
  • Springfield Confidential: Jokes, Secrets, and Outright Lies from a Lifetime Writing for The Simpsons
  • Girl Hunter: A Max Becker Thriller
  • Race to the Sun
  • Heroes: Mortals and Monsters, Quests and Adventures (Stephen Fry's Great Mythology, #2)
THE SECOND LAW (Lynn Dayton Thriller #3): *winner of first place award from Texas Authors for best international thriller,
*quarter-finalist (one of 62 out of 800+) for the 2019 BookLife Prize with a critic's rating of 9.5/10.0.
*finalist in action/adventure category of the National Indie Excellence Awards 2020.

THE SECOND LAW is about deadly cybersabotage. Protagonist Lynn Dayton must uncover and s

Lynn Dayton (3 books)
  • 13 Days: The Pythagoras Conspiracy (Lynn Dayton Thriller, #1)
  • The Second Law (Lynn Dayton Thrillers, #3)