Start by marking “Dory Fantasmagory” as Want to Read:
Dory Fantasmagory

Dory Fantasmagory

(Dory Fantasmagory #1)

Move over, Junie B. Jones and Ivy & Bean! Here comes a lovably energetic little sister with a BIG personality—and an imagination to match!

As the youngest in her family, Dory really wants attention, and more than anything she wants her brother and sister to play with her. But she’s too much of a baby for them, so she’s left to her own devices—including her wild imaginat
Published October 9th 2014 by Dial Books (first published October 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Dory Fantasmagory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dory Fantasmagory

Schizanthus
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book and feel like I should’ve, with the main character a young girl with an imagination bigger than she is. She annoyed me so much though! I liked her imaginary monsters but I’m siding with her older siblings here. RASCAL IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!

I did like the illustrations, especially of the monsters. The product placement of the Nuggyo’s and Gobble Crackers were clever as they showed where the kids got the names for evil Mrs Gobble Gracker and Mr Nuggy, Rascal’s fairy godmot
Betsy
Which of the following types of children’s books are, in your opinion, the most difficult to write: Board books, picture books, easy books (for emerging readers), early chapter books, or middle grade fiction (older chapter books)? The question is, by its very definition, unfair. They are all incredibly hard to do well. Now me, I have always felt that easy books must be the hardest to write. You have to take into account not just the controlled vocabulary but also the fact that the story is likel ...more
Becky
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book with my daughter and she immediately picked it up and started from the beginning. For me, that's a five-star book!
Kathy
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The 2nd graders and I are really enjoying Dory! We hope it's a series!
Barb Middleton
Remember building forts out of the couch cushions? Or having your siblings holler, "Mom! Barbie (insert your name) is bothering us!" Or being told you were a baby? Or wanting to play with your siblings so badly you let them trap you under the covers even though you were claustrophobic? I used to scale the sides of the doorway to the top and hold on to the ledge because my siblings thought it was cool. It was rare I was cool. I was number four out of five kids. I followed my siblings around askin ...more
Mehsi
2 stars for the illustrations. -2 stars for Dory/Rascal/whatever her name was. -1 for the story. -1 for the siblings.

I heard so much about this book that I wanted to read it. However.... I wish I hadn't. Sure I would have missed the wonderful illustrations, but I would also never have known of Rascal, or her sister and brother who just annoy the heck out of me. Frankly, everyone was just annoying.

The brother and sister never wanted to include their sister. They always tell on her when she doesn
Elahe
کتابو خریدم که هدیه بدم اونقدر که انتظار داشتم برام جالب نبود امیدوارم از نظر یه دختربچه 6 ساله جالبتر باشه
Erik Fazekas
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Toto je tak strašne kjútovné, až to bolí :))) Akože pre baby 5-7 ročné, ale krááásne! Aspoň viete čo a akomu kupovať ;)
Danielle
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-books
Hilarious!!!!!
Carrie Gelson
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! Seriously hilarious. And charming, and true and silly and perfectly suited to young readers! I literally laughed out loud multiple times reading this book. It is absolutely silly and full of fantasy, imagination and "made-up-ish-ness" attached to many things. It is over the top at the same time as absolutely accurately portraying sibling dynamics, parent frustration and little child antics. Full of wonderful illustrations, this has ADORED written all over it.
Janna
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud - pee your pants hilarious. ..my 7 yr old and I were giggling nonstop...she asked to read a 2nd time...and guess what, I didn't mind!
Cheryl
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Poor misunderstood Dory. At least the doctor understands what it's like to have a runaway imagination. Her parents need to have drawn the line long before. And her older siblings are pretty much mean - if they'd play with her sometimes she wouldn't need to resort to being a pest.

Well, at least it's a change of pace from the usual situation, in which the youngest is so babied that she doesn't have a moment to herself.
Otilija
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Itin smagi ir jauki knygutė. Kartu su sese laukėm naujo puslapio ir pasakiškų, užburiančių iliustracijų. Istorija taip pat puiki apie žavią, nenuoramą mergaitę ir jos gajas fantazijas.
Dan
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My daughter absolutely adores Dory and her imagination. We have read this one countless times. Looking forward to reading all these books with her soon!
Michele Knott
** the first time I read Dory, I enjoyed her.... but when I read it with kids... I loved her! Loved her imagination, loved her imaginary friends. I had the opportunity to meet Abby Hanlon last year and I was so impressed learning all of the thought she puts into these books giving readers what they need to be supported while reading these books.

Cute transitional chapter book. I love Abby Hanlon's illustrations.
Gina
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book out loud to Enzo about 5 times now. He does want us to skip the part where Dory gives her Doctor a shot. I think that went over the naughty edge for him. Now we have the 2nd book going at the same time. We read a chapter from each before bed! Dory is the best.
Mairee Elliott
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this with my boys, 8, 7, 5, and 2 yr olds. We LOVED it! Such an adventurous book for the whole family to enjoy laughing at!
Tasha
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Dory is the youngest in her family and her older siblings won’t play with her at all. So she is left to play on her own and thanks to her great imagination, Dory has a lot of fun. Dory has a best friend, Mary, a monster who sleeps under her bed and is always willing to play. There are also other monsters all over their house. When Dory continues to bother her brother and sister, they make up a story about Mrs. Gobble Gracker, a horrible woman who steals baby girls and is looking for Dory! So whe ...more
Teresa Scherping Moulton
Dory (also known as Rascal) is the baby of her family and often feels left out of her older brother and sister's games. Luckily, Dory has an exceptional imagination and has many fictional friends to keep her company. There's Mary, a friendly little monster who follows her everywhere, and Mr. Nuggy, her gnome-like fairy godmother. But there are also bad guys like Mrs. Gobble Gracker whom Dory will have to outsmart if she doesn't want to live in a cave FOREVER or be cooked in a big pot! Follow Dor ...more
Juliefrick
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Silas says: Dory really wanted to play with her brother and sister. She has a lot of imagination. I think this book gets five stars because Mrs. Gobble Gracker and Nuggy made me laugh. I would like to be friends with Dory because she makes up good games."
I say: Love it. The book's climax really brought the theme of a child's imagination addressing real-world concerns into focus. I loved how easily the book slipped between the two, just like a seven year-old like Silas does. The illustrations wer
Susie
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious! I laughed out loud several times. Dory is so bright and imaginative (as must be the author). I kept trying to picture what she would be like as a middle school student. I've read that it is very common for children to have imaginary friends--- and gifted kids often have multiple imaginary friends. That's Dory! The illustrations are a delight as well.
Caren
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I loved this little book! How could you not cheer for the wildly imaginative "Rascal"? I got this book for my granddaughter, who is in first grade and a relatively new reader. We live on opposite sides of the country, so I won't get to see her reaction, but I have a feeling it will be one of glee (since she is also the youngest in the family). I, too, hope it becomes a series.
Benji Martin
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't know about all of this "Move over Junie B. Jones and Ivy and Bean" business. This book was indeed very funny and enjoyable, but Junie, Ivy and Bean don't move over for anyone. Seriously, though, it's always awesome to get a chapter book on the smaller side that as terrific as this one.
Amy
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Don't get me wrong; this was cute. I liked Dory's imagination. BUT when a book seems to encourage brattiness and bad behavior, I just can't like it all that much because I do not want my child emulating Dory.
Mohadese
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood, humor, women, 2017
عیدی من به خواهر کوچیکم! دری دختر خیال باف و ته تغاریه که با دوستای خیالیش به جنگ خانم لف لف سیاه می رن! اگرمی خواهید به یه دختر دبستانی کتاب هدیه بدید من این کتابو بهتون پیشنهاد میکنم!
پ.ن: اگه دلتون خواست یه کتاب بچگونه بخونیدم پیشنهاد خوبیه!!! :))) باید اعتراف کنم دوسش داشتم
Bea
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The best early chapter book I have read...ever? Charming, hilarious, original, sweet, full of energy.
Kris Patrick
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
A chapter book for gr 1/2 that is actually funny
Keren
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Four stars are for me, and the fifth is because my kindergartener had to stay up until 10:00 reading to find out what happened.
Maggie
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this book with my daughter last night. She immediately asked to read it again!
Sherry
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute & hilarious book! Perfect for read alouds & transitioning into chapter books
Henrico Youth Boo...: Dory Fantasmagory 1 6 Nov 05, 2014 08:04AM
  • Leroy Ninker Saddles Up (Tales from Deckawoo Drive, #1)
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny (Bunjitsu Bunny #1)
  • Lulu and the Duck in the Park (Lulu, #1)
  • The Story of Diva and Flea
  • Piper Green and the Fairy Tree (Piper Green, #1)
  • Harriet the Invincible (Hamster Princess, #1)
  • The Princess in Black (The Princess in Black, #1)
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Lulu's Mysterious Mission (Lulu, #3)
  • Anna Hibiscus (Anna Hibiscus, #1)
  • Jelly Bean (Shelter Pet Squad, #1)
  • Lola Levine Is Not Mean!
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • Marty McGuire  (Marty McGuire #1)
  • The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher (Family Fletcher, #1)
  • The First Misadventure (Chicken Squad Misadventure #1)
  • Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret (Ballet Cat, #1)
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
When I was a kid, I liked to talk to myself and make up stories. I played imaginatively long past the age considered normal. Slowly and reluctantly, I grew up. As an adult, I discovered that becoming a teacher was a perfect way to re-enter the world of childhood.

As a teacher, I was amazed by my six-year-old students’ natural ability to use words and pictures to tell a story, and I wanted to do it

Dory Fantasmagory (4 books)
  • Dory and the Real True Friend
  • Dory Dory Black Sheep
  • Dory Fantasmagory: Head in the Clouds
“There is the Toilet Monster, who comes into the bathroom if you sit on the toilet for too long.” 1 likes