Start by marking “Dory Fantasmagory” as Want to Read:
Dory Fantasmagory

Dory Fantasmagory

(Dory Fantasmagory #1)

Move over, Junie B. Jones and Ivy & Bean! Here comes a lovably energetic little sister with a BIG personality—and an imagination to match!

As the youngest in her family, Dory really wants attention, and more than anything she wants her brother and sister to play with her. But she’s too much of a baby for them, so she’s left to her own devices—including her wild imagination
Published October 9th 2014 by Dial Books (first published October 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Dory Fantasmagory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dory Fantasmagory

Start your review of Dory Fantasmagory
Rachel Reads Ravenously
I normally don’t mark/review the chapter books I read for work on Goodreads, but this little book was SO MUCH FUN! I was laughing out loud while reading it. I will definitely be recommending it to kids at my library.
Schizanthus Nerd
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book and feel like I should’ve, with the main character a young girl with an imagination bigger than she is. She annoyed me so much though! I liked her imaginary monsters but I’m siding with her older siblings here. RASCAL IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!

I did like the illustrations, especially of the monsters. The product placement of the Nuggyo’s and Gobble Crackers were clever as they showed where the kids got the names for evil Mrs Gobble Gracker and Mr Nuggy, Rascal’s fairy godmot
Betsy
Which of the following types of children’s books are, in your opinion, the most difficult to write: Board books, picture books, easy books (for emerging readers), early chapter books, or middle grade fiction (older chapter books)? The question is, by its very definition, unfair. They are all incredibly hard to do well. Now me, I have always felt that easy books must be the hardest to write. You have to take into account not just the controlled vocabulary but also the fact that the story is likel ...more
Becky
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book with my daughter and she immediately picked it up and started from the beginning. For me, that's a five-star book!
Mehsi
2 stars for the illustrations. -2 stars for Dory/Rascal/whatever her name was. -1 for the story. -1 for the siblings.

I heard so much about this book that I wanted to read it. However.... I wish I hadn't. Sure I would have missed the wonderful illustrations, but I would also never have known of Rascal, or her sister and brother who just annoy the heck out of me. Frankly, everyone was just annoying.

The brother and sister never wanted to include their sister. They always tell on her when she doesn
Kathy
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The 2nd graders and I are really enjoying Dory! We hope it's a series!
Barb Middleton
Remember building forts out of the couch cushions? Or having your siblings holler, "Mom! Barbie (insert your name) is bothering us!" Or being told you were a baby? Or wanting to play with your siblings so badly you let them trap you under the covers even though you were claustrophobic? I used to scale the sides of the doorway to the top and hold on to the ledge because my siblings thought it was cool. It was rare I was cool. I was number four out of five kids. I followed my siblings around askin ...more
Carrie Gelson
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! Seriously hilarious. And charming, and true and silly and perfectly suited to young readers! I literally laughed out loud multiple times reading this book. It is absolutely silly and full of fantasy, imagination and "made-up-ish-ness" attached to many things. It is over the top at the same time as absolutely accurately portraying sibling dynamics, parent frustration and little child antics. Full of wonderful illustrations, this has ADORED written all over it.
Amy
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Don't get me wrong; this was cute. I liked Dory's imagination. BUT when a book seems to encourage brattiness and bad behavior, I just can't like it all that much because I do not want my child emulating Dory.
Janna
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud - pee your pants hilarious. ..my 7 yr old and I were giggling nonstop...she asked to read a 2nd time...and guess what, I didn't mind!
Cheryl
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Poor misunderstood Dory. At least the doctor understands what it's like to have a runaway imagination. Her parents need to have drawn the line long before. And her older siblings are pretty much mean - if they'd play with her sometimes she wouldn't need to resort to being a pest.

Well, at least it's a change of pace from the usual situation, in which the youngest is so babied that she doesn't have a moment to herself.
Marika
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Imogen: Loved it. It’s because I like scary parts, and there was scary parts. And I liked when she kept barking like a dog. And I liked that there was a lot of words. And I like that they called her Rascal. I like how she has a lot of imagination. I like when she hit Ms Gobble Gracker in the butt. I like that she dresses up a lot. And I liked how they didn’t get together, and then they did (her sister and brother.)
Dan
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My daughter absolutely adores Dory and her imagination. We have read this one countless times. Looking forward to reading all these books with her soon!
Michele Knott
** the first time I read Dory, I enjoyed her.... but when I read it with kids... I loved her! Loved her imagination, loved her imaginary friends. I had the opportunity to meet Abby Hanlon last year and I was so impressed learning all of the thought she puts into these books giving readers what they need to be supported while reading these books.

Cute transitional chapter book. I love Abby Hanlon's illustrations.
SheAintGotNoShoes
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dory was something else !
She has a very vivid and creative imaginative and a girl after my own heart !! ( one that follows people around asking endless questions - that was me circa 1968 ! )

A+++++
Ian
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I liked the 2nd one a little better because it had more adventure but this one was pretty good too.
Hadley Hatch
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved dory because it is perfect for kids know matter what age you are.

Jen
My feelings on this book are distinctly meh. It was not what I thought it would be at all, and I found the protagonist, Dory, to be an annoying brat. Before Chapter 1 begins, (view spoiler) ...more
Tasha
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Dory is the youngest in her family and her older siblings won’t play with her at all. So she is left to play on her own and thanks to her great imagination, Dory has a lot of fun. Dory has a best friend, Mary, a monster who sleeps under her bed and is always willing to play. There are also other monsters all over their house. When Dory continues to bother her brother and sister, they make up a story about Mrs. Gobble Gracker, a horrible woman who steals baby girls and is looking for Dory! So whe ...more
Mairee Elliott
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this with my boys, 8, 7, 5, and 2 yr olds. We LOVED it! Such an adventurous book for the whole family to enjoy laughing at!
Teresa Scherping Moulton
Dory (also known as Rascal) is the baby of her family and often feels left out of her older brother and sister's games. Luckily, Dory has an exceptional imagination and has many fictional friends to keep her company. There's Mary, a friendly little monster who follows her everywhere, and Mr. Nuggy, her gnome-like fairy godmother. But there are also bad guys like Mrs. Gobble Gracker whom Dory will have to outsmart if she doesn't want to live in a cave FOREVER or be cooked in a big pot! Follow Dor ...more
Tara Strosnider
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a very well written cute story and the little girl Dory is so funny. I highly recommend this kinda reminds me of Junie B Jones books because the way the little girl is. She just is funny and cute and I think Abby Hanlon did a very good job on this. The diction was great, pictures were very well done, I could see imagery with this one, and mood, and tone also. I could not put this book down, and I couldn't stop laughing. Dory has very active imagination and you will easily tell wh ...more
Juliefrick
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Silas says: Dory really wanted to play with her brother and sister. She has a lot of imagination. I think this book gets five stars because Mrs. Gobble Gracker and Nuggy made me laugh. I would like to be friends with Dory because she makes up good games."
I say: Love it. The book's climax really brought the theme of a child's imagination addressing real-world concerns into focus. I loved how easily the book slipped between the two, just like a seven year-old like Silas does. The illustrations wer
Susie
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious! I laughed out loud several times. Dory is so bright and imaginative (as must be the author). I kept trying to picture what she would be like as a middle school student. I've read that it is very common for children to have imaginary friends--- and gifted kids often have multiple imaginary friends. That's Dory! The illustrations are a delight as well.
Caren
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I loved this little book! How could you not cheer for the wildly imaginative "Rascal"? I got this book for my granddaughter, who is in first grade and a relatively new reader. We live on opposite sides of the country, so I won't get to see her reaction, but I have a feeling it will be one of glee (since she is also the youngest in the family). I, too, hope it becomes a series.
Lisa
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I can see that my two-star rating will be sticking out like a sore thumb among all the fours and fives, but I was hoping to meet a spunky new heroine here and was disappointed. Yay for a little girl with a healthy imagination, but I found young Dory almost as annoying as her siblings did, and something about her imaginary friend Mary kind of gave me the creeps.
Benji Martin
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't know about all of this "Move over Junie B. Jones and Ivy and Bean" business. This book was indeed very funny and enjoyable, but Junie, Ivy and Bean don't move over for anyone. Seriously, though, it's always awesome to get a chapter book on the smaller side that as terrific as this one.
Catharine
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Rather than finding Dory endearing I found her to be obnoxious and weird. I do think a main character with a wild imagination and older siblings that don't want to play with her could be an appealing one. However, I thought that Dory missed the mark on the right level of charm and monster.
Bea
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The best early chapter book I have read...ever? Charming, hilarious, original, sweet, full of energy.
Maggie
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this book with my daughter last night. She immediately asked to read it again!
Henrico Youth Boo...: Dory Fantasmagory 1 6 Nov 05, 2014 08:04AM

• The Princess in Black (The Princess in Black, #1)
  • Vizinho, Vizinha
  • Amoras
  • Pug Blasts Off (Diary of a Pug #1)
  • A New Friend (The Adventures of Sophie Mouse, #1)
  • Ivy and Bean Take Care of the Babysitter
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue
  • Dragons and Marshmallows (Zoey and Sassafras, #1)
  • Ivy and Bean and the Ghost That Had to Go
  • Ivy and Bean Break the Fossil Record
  • The Princess in Black Takes a Vacation (The Princess in Black #4)
  • Ivy and Bean
  • Ivy and Bean: Doomed to Dance
  • Eva's Treetop Festival (Owl Diaries, #1)
  • The Princess in Black and the Perfect Princess Party (The Princess in Black, #2)
  • Piper Green and the Fairy Tree (Piper Green, #1)
  • Leroy Ninker Saddles Up
  • Ivy and Bean Take the Case
When I was a kid, I liked to talk to myself and make up stories. I played imaginatively long past the age considered normal. Slowly and reluctantly, I grew up. As an adult, I discovered that becoming a teacher was a perfect way to re-enter the world of childhood.

As a teacher, I was amazed by my six-year-old students’ natural ability to use words and pictures to tell a story, and I wanted to do it

Dory Fantasmagory (5 books)
  • Dory Fantasmagory: the Real True Friend
  • Dory Fantasmagory: Dory Dory Black Sheep
  • Dory Fantasmagory: Head in the Clouds
  • Dory Fantasmagory: Tiny Tough

News & Interviews

“There is the Toilet Monster, who comes into the bathroom if you sit on the toilet for too long.” 1 likes
“There is the Toilet Monster, who comes into the bathroom if you sit on the toilet for too long. There is the Ketchup Monster, who makes weird noises when you squeeze the ketchup.” 0 likes