Start by marking “Blackbird (Blackbird, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blackbird (Blackbird, #1)

Blackbird

(Blackbird Duology #1)

From the author of the Eve trilogy comes the breathless story of a girl racing to figure out who she is—and how to stay alive. When a nameless girl wakes up on the subway tracks, she knows only one thing for sure: people want her dead. Can she find them before they track her down? This pulse-pounding contemporary thriller is perfect for fans of The Maze Runner, The Darkest ...more
Published September 16th 2014 by HarperTeen (first published September 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Blackbird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackbird

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
You wake up. You yawn. You look around. The room is still dark. You turn on the lights. You go to the bathroom. You brush your teeth. You stare at yourself in the mirror. A bleary-eyed face looks back at you. Where did that tattoo come from? Were you that drunk last night? You walk downstairs. You're hungry. You're hung over. You want food.

You pick up an apple. You change your mind. You reach for a bar of chocolate and donuts instead. Hell, you pick up a bottle of vodka and take a swig. It's onl
Giselle
Yeah I'm DNFing this. The 2nd person tense is hard to get used to, but the bigger issue is how unrealistic - and cheesy - it is. Some random guy just shot a woman from a few stories high (who knew it was that easy to hit a target? >.<), kills her, and he's just like ok with it because she was going to kill someone else anyways. Then I hear he randomly gets eaten by a dog or something odd like that. Anyways, I put this one down a month ago bc I was bored and I don't ever plan on finishing i ...more
Neil (or bleed)
It is very common in novels (mostly dystopia or mystery) where the main character is suffering from amnesia (scientifically-made or not). Not that I can blame the authors for that since it was a good device to conceal the truth about the main character itself and probably, the world. So, you'd probably guessed that the main character didn't remember anything in this book and did gather some information about her as the time went by? You are right. Yay!

Blackbird started with a bang when the main
Zoe

*sighs* This was easily one of my most anticipated reads of the month, and just as easily one of the most disappointing. The concepts are there, but the execution and the final reveals were disappointing.

Blackbird follows a girl as she wakes up on some train tracks, with a train heading right towards her. All her memories are gone, and she doesn't know who she is or how she got there. The one thing she is completely sure about is that people are trying to track her down and kill her...

The prem
Merril Anil
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Where is the rest of the book?

Admittedly this was my first experience reading a book written in second person and because of which I had a little trouble getting a grip over the whole narrative technique of the book. it is kind of weird with lines like "you are now doing this" " you are now about to do that.” It was more or less like my mom. Running and shouting around “miss, you are going to do this, right NOW”.

Blackbird is exactly like Jason Bourne, waking up with no recollection of who you
Elise (On The Bookshelves)
Full Review from On The Bookshelves

2.5 / 5 STARS

Blackbird is a thrilling and action packed story by Anna Carey and it is the first installment in the Blackbird duology.

A girl wakes up on the train tracks and soon realises there is a train hurtling towards her so she prepares herself as the train speeds over her. The girl does not know her name, where she is or who she is. As she flees the incident in a panic, the only thing she knows is that she must not contact the police and she has a tattoo o
Angela
Oct 25, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star-reads, dnf
Putting this one to bed for now. Just Couldn't get into it. Probably pick it up later
Donna Backshall
Writing an entire book in the second person point of view was a risk. I'm all for creativity and writing outside the lines. You win some, you lose some. In this case, for this reader, however, it was a firm loss. The entire feel was just "off".

I would have let this novel slide through with three stars, but the ending was a big fat middle finger at me: nothing but an abrupt cliffhanger for book two of the "duology", with no answers, no explanations and no resolution of any of the important questi
Gisbelle
description
My thanks to HarperTeen & Edelweiss

Point of View: Multiple
Writing Style: MC's POV is told in second person, and the rest are in third person | Present Tense
Setting: Los Angles
Genre: Young Adult | Mystery Thriller

In a nutshell: A nail-biting suspense with a mind-blowing plot twist.

I still cannot believe how much I loved this book since I was really reluctant at first when I started reading and found out it is written in second person (it's multiple POV book, but mostly it's told from MC's POV
AH
Initial Thoughts: About a 3 star read for me. I must admit that I am not used to second person narratives, so this book took a little time to get used to. Blackbird was unlike any book I've read before and the mysterious elements kept me guessing throughout. The book begins with a girl who has no memories, only a strange tattoo on her wrist. She doesn't know her name, only that people are following her with bad intentions. She slowly gets some memories back, but she still doesn't know who she is ...more
Macarena Yannelli
DNF at 62%
Le di varias oportunidades a este libro, empezó bien, pero ya por la mitad se empieza a enredar la historia. Hay mucha acción y sin embargo siento que no pasa nada. El hecho de que este escrito en segunda persona no termino de gustarme, y sentí que había cosas que no se explicaban o no se explicaban bien y me hicieron perder varias veces.
Buena idea por parte de Alloy pero un mal desarrollo de Anna Carey.
Panxokd.books
Que paja!!!. Aunque es súper corto me tomó bastante tiempo en leerlo, es muy confuso, demasiados detalles que no se dicen, a veces no sabes que es lo que está relatando. Había leído que el final era bueno pero la verdad no me sorprendió, es sumamente predecible. Leeré la otra parte cuando llegue con la esperanza de que pase algo bueno.
Rayne
 photo 66a8b565-133d-47b8-ad26-ccd35465d791_zpsa3965190.jpg

Whenever I think back on this book, it is, I kid you not, like an explosion of awesome in my brain. I know, very eloquent of me, but that's exactly what it feels like. When I think about the mystery behind this novel, the big reveal, the explosive ending, I get giddy and start praying to the gods of YA for a quick release for the sequel. And yet, when I start tearing it apart in my head, when I go to the details instead of looking at the whole picture, there's just something missing fr
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: My expectations weren’t high, but this suspenseful novel surprised me with its grit and originality.

Opening Sentence: The sun holds the heat of the sun, even an hour after it has sunk beneath the pavement, pushing its way below the sprawling city.

The Review:

I’ll admit that I have been holding off on reading Blackbird. Bad review after bad review rolled through my Twitter feed and the Goodreads page, making me hesitant to even crack the cover
Vani
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No se dan una idea de lo mucho que esperé y rogué para comprarmelo, así que cuando se me dio, lo leí en un día jaja.
Me super archi mega encantó! Tanto la narración en segunda persona y la trama fueron geniales. Si bien llegó un punto en que eran medias obvias ciertas cosas, es rápido de leer y te deja con ganas de más en cada capítulo.
Se quedó en la mejor parte así que... NECESITO EL PRÓXIMO, YA YA YA YA!!!
Melanie
Unfortunately, I couldn't go on with this one any further because the 2nd person POV wasn't working AT ALL for me. DNF.
JilltheOWL
I really really struggled with this book. It started with the fact it's written in 2nd person. Perfect for when I would want to give my students both an example of 2nd person AND an example of why it's difficult to read. I tried super hard to get past it and get used to reading a book written in this style. In the end I just couldn't get beyond it. I couldn't take reading things like "you wake up slowly and look around" - "you" do this and "you" do that. I just found it very distracting to me. I ...more
Pamela
Tootling around the internet, sometimes you find free copies of books that have been out for a few years. Often, this happens when there's a new book in the series. The publisher wants to hook you, so they offer the first book(s) in the series as e-copies as well.

While browsing Edelweiss for review copies, I found a book called Blackbird. Without, you know, actually looking at any of the info, my brain said, "Hey, that funny dude on Twitter, Chuck Wendig? He has a book called Blackbirds."

So I r
A teenage girl wakes up paralysed on a railway track with no idea what her name is, or how she came to be there. She finds a note in her back that says to call a number for information, and when she bumps into a boy in the process of making this call, she uses the alias ‘Sunny’.
Who is ‘Sunny’ really? How did she end up on the train track? And why can’t she remember anything
Jorge Trejo
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La historia es bastante corta pero concreta, nos narra los sucesos necesarios para poder entender que es lo que está sucediendo y ponernos en la piel de la protagonista, una chica que ha perdido su memoria y que se despierta en una situación bastante impactante en las vías de un tren en la ciudad de Los Angeles.

Pasando el trauma que le ha ocasionado, su primer instinto es huir y después cuestionarse los motivos. Conforme la historia avanza y el misterio cobra fuerza, ella ira descubriendo pistas
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
Now now, this story might have been stupid, unbelievable, contrived, illogical, without sequence and any number of shit that I hate in other books. BUT! But perhaps it was a stroke of luck or the vagaries of my mood; I ended up really enjoying it.

There was action! Boom yeah!
There are secrets! Boom yeah!
Betrayals so fucking obvious that yet take me down convoluted paths! Boom yeah!
And ending that had just the bare amount of emotion! Boom yeah!

The fact that it's written in second person present wi
Morgan
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If you are looking for something different, and mysterious!
I had no idea this book hd sequel! The whole time I was wondering how it could possibly end and then there it was blackbird number one. Anyway I love the second person point of view. For me it did not disconnect me from the main character. Sometimes it was scary because "you" almost die and you can really picture yourself as the main character.
Speaking of characters I really liked "you", she was really smart and funny at points. Her not knowing anything about herself even her name made everythi
Bioquímica da Leitura
Já tinha ouvido falar desta autora por causa da saga Eve, então esta capa saltou-me à vista. Quando li a sinopse soube logo que tinha que lê-lo, e assim o fiz, sem consultar qualquer tipo de critica ou opiniões, lancei-me no desconhecido :p e assim tive a minha estreia com a escritora.
Neste livro seguimos a protagonista que acorda na linha do metro sem quaisquer memórias. Tudo o que ela tem, além de imensas dores pelo corpo, é uma tatuagem recém feita no pulso com um pássaro preto dentro de uma
Colleen Houck
Wow this was scary and creepy. I don't think I've ever read a book in second person before. It was so interesting and different. I just wanted to reach through the pages and save this girl. Talk about edge of your seat action. Love the end! I hope this means there's a sequel. The reveals at the end. Did not see that coming!
Natalya Bustamante
El final LITERAL salvó por mucho la calificación de este libro, super rápido de leer, mucha acción(too much for my taste) y un modo de escritura atípico que le va a dar curiosidad a más de una persona.

Próximamente reseña en el canal :)
Tamara
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick three hour read.
Adriana Espada leyton
3.25
weird, interesting... i need the second one in this duology

raro, interesante... necesito el segundo en esta duologia
T.Y. Mazer
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kitabı soluksuz okudum diyebilirim. Bazı yerleri kafa karıştırıcı gibi dursa da tam beyaz perdelik hikayeydi. Sonu da oldukça iyiydi bence. Anna Carey’den Eve serisini okuduktan sonra bu seriyi de merak ederek almıştım. Pişman değilim.
Chester Dean

Ésta es mi primera colaboración con V&R Editoras, y Blackbird fue uno de los libros que más me llamaron la atención en su catálogo, en primera, por una razón muy ñoña, y es el hecho de que así se titula una canción de los Beatles (¡AMO a los Beatles!), segundo, porque la portada era muy bonita, y tercero, porque la sinopsis me intrigó bastante.

En primera, lo que se me hizo muy original, fue que la narración no es ni en primera, ni en tercera persona, como estoy acostumbrada (y creo que t
BookLoversLife
A girl wakes up on the train tracks with a train baring down on top of her. With only seconds before it hits, she puts her arms down at her side and hunkers down, hoping to survive. Thankfully she does but she has no recollection of who she is, where she is or how she got to the station. She has a backpack with her and a tattoo on her wrist of a blackbird in a box with letters and numbers below it. She doesn't remember getting it nor what it means.

The only thing she knows is that if the police
Nook books: April 13, 2018 1 1 Apr 13, 2018 07:49PM
Around the Year i...: Blackbird, by Anna Carey 4 12 Oct 19, 2016 12:08PM
Crazy for Young A...: Blackbird (#1) by Anna Carey → Start Date: June 16th, 2015 55 138 Jun 17, 2015 07:18PM
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Feral
  • Kiss Kill Vanish
  • Remember Me (Find Me, #2)
  • Don't Touch
  • Get Even (Don't Get Mad, #1)
  • Wild
  • Evidence of Things Not Seen
  • Kiss of Broken Glass
  • Wicked Games (Wicked Games, #1)
  • The Secrets of Lily Graves
  • The Bodies We Wear
  • (Don't You) Forget About Me
  • Vivian Divine Is Dead
  • Of Monsters and Madness (Of Monsters and Madness, #1)
  • House of Ivy & Sorrow
  • Sleep No More (Charlotte Westing Chronicles, #1)
  • The Invisible (Brokenhearted, #2)
Anna Carey has been a gift wrapper, face painter, nanny, horrific cocktail waitress, sofa saleswoman and children's book editor. She graduated from New York University and has an MFA in fiction from Brooklyn College. She currently lives in Los Angeles, where she can be found writing, reading, and telling elaborate, only moderately interesting stories about her dog.

Blackbird Duology (2 books)
  • Deadfall (Blackbird, #2)