Start by marking “How to Get a (Love) Life” as Want to Read:
How to Get a (Love) Life

How to Get a (Love) Life

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  466 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
Some people book last-minute holidays, walk barefoot in the grass or party on a week night. Not Nicola Brown. Nicola is the kind of girl who double-locks the front door, leaves the plastic covering on new furniture, sticks to a super-strict diet and definitely, absolutely Does Not Date.

Her colleague Caroline – loopy, warm and exasperated by her, knows that Nicola's relucta
ebook
Published January 29th 2014 by Novelicious Books (first published January 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about How to Get a (Love) Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get a (Love) Life

Stacey
Jan 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Review from Fairy Tale Ending Book Reviews

Read: 28 January 2014
Why: Copy received in exchange for honest review

Brief synopsis: When Nicola was younger she never imagined that at 29 she'd still be single, living alone and eating the same set menu each week.

Her work colleague Caroline decides it's time for Nicola to loosen up and get herself a love life. Daring her to find someone before Valentines Day... in just 3 months time.

What I thought: I really liked the idea of this story and wanted to lov
Agi
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, 2017-releases
How to Get a (Love) Life is Rosie Blake's debut novel turned into a lovely, gorgeous paperback and even though I've read it few years ago I was desperate to get a copy of this book in my greedy mittens and read it again! It was a great joy to meet with the characters for a second time, the story was just up to my street and what more can I say? I love Rosie Blake and her brilliant, funny and uplifting stories! So there.

Nicola has OCD. Yes, I love OCD people, maybe because I am very far away from
Joana
**2.5 stars**

It did have it's moments but overall it was an ok and enjoyable read...but the truth is that I expected more.
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
How To Get A (Love) Life (HTGALL) is Rosie’s debut novel and I was more than desperate to read it, so much so, when it landed in my inbox, I screamed, did a dance and then started reading it straight away.
How beautiful is the cover too?! Novelicious are always triumphant when it comes to covers!

HTGALL follows Nicola Brown on her quest to get a love life aided by her work colleague Caroline, her brother Mark and one internet dating site. Perpetually single Nicola starts the novel standing in an
Blodeuedd Finland
Nicola was a bit OCD about things. She likes to eat certain dinners on certain nights, that goes for all her meals. She plans, she cleans. But hey, I like organised, it's a good way to be.

Of course the book is not about her being organised, but about her coworker daring her to try to find a date for Valentine's. Double dare. Oh yes! You do not back out of a double dare.

And poor girl, those are some lousy dates she tries. It's amusing and we have all been on them. Her friends sure know how to pic
Carol W
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-kindle
Nicola Brown is happy in her work, happy with her friends and family but is missing that someone special. She has never had a date for Valentine's Day and when Caroline discovers this she challenges Nicola to find a guy before Valentine's Day.

So begins the hilarious story of Nicola's search for love. Fabulous supporting cast including the smarmy guys. There are some cringeworthy moments along the way and when all seems lost Nicola finds love where she least expects it.

Perfect for romance, perfec
Melinda
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5*
Ana

Also posted on This Chick Reads

*Copy provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review*

I started reading this book with high expectations, whenever I would log in to twitter I'd see at least 50 tweets from people reading it/wanting to read it. I must admit, I was DYING to check it out and see what the hype is all about. I LOVE Novelicious (Rosie Blake's publishers), LOVE Rosie's tweets (which are hilarious!) and LOVE the cover of this book! It's simple yet grabs your attention!
So, as you se
Margaret Madden
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Thanks so much to the girls at http://www.noveliciousbooks.com/ for the ARC of this book........

Nicola is a creature of habit. Her flat is immaculately clean, her office desk organised to within an inch of it's life and her menu planned weeks in advance. She desperately needs to get a life. And soon, as her work colleague, Caroline dares her to get herself a date for Valentine's Day. Nicola accepts the challenge and here is where the fun starts....
Nicola tries many means of finding a man. This l
Shaz Goodwin
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun book to read!

I identified with Nicola. Enjoyed watching her realisations change her and relax her to the possibilities and opportunities others were throwing her way.

Caroline her work colleague, Mark her brother and James her boss are a great support cast of characters. They all brought something different to the story.

Hilarious dating scenes and events in the office. Many laugh out loud moments (note of caution, those around you may openly look at you as if you're mad).

Refre
Bharti
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I won this title as an e-book Twitter/BookBlog Giveaway. I had read so much about it on Twitter n Blogs. Coming to the actual story it was ok. Nicola sets put on a adventurous path to find herself a love life. She goes on some interesting dates and trips only to find love much closer to home. The pace was good but the story ended too soon. I thought it ended abruptly and a bit outta nowhere making me think what did I miss? Something missing or may be it's just me I was left thinking o.k. nice bu ...more
Carla
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Nicola Brown is not an adventurous woman. A few years ago, his boyfriend broke her heart and, since then, she got used to being alone. But when a colleague dares her to find a date for Valentine’s Day, Nicola starts to wonder if she really is that happy on her own. And so, she opens her mind and starts dating… not seeming to realise, between a series of disastrous dates, that the right person for her might be closer than she thinks.
Part of the charm in this cute and funny story is the fact that
Smelleykins
I just adore Rosies' books. They are so relatable and fun. I was sent this book from the publisher in exchange for a review. I've read all the previous books by Rosie and this is her debut finally released in paperback.

We follow the lovely Nicola on her quest to find a boyfriend by valentines day. It's around chritmas in the book and the quest was a dare by her work collegue Caroline. Nicola is sensible, does things as part of a routine and doesn't mind being on her own. She's not someone who t
Nuria
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: easy-quick-reads
How to Get a (Love) Life took my audio book virginity and will thus always have a special part in my heart ;)

Let me start right off with the following: Rosie Blake's writing is funny. So funny that I was laughing out loud more than once. Not necessarily the best thing to do when you are on a crammed tram on your way to work :) But what is life if you cannot puzzle your fellow commuters, eh? :)

Overall, I really liked the story. It was an easy enough listen that it didn't matter if I spaced out f
~☆clockwork
This is a great read a perfect holiday read or great if you just want to read something that will make you laugh!! I certainly did on more than one occasion. The plot centers around Nicola who isn't on the market for dating due To a bad experience and is now sort of set in her ways, closed off and living in routine. But all that's about to change she agrees to a bet to get a Valentine's day date and she has to do everything in her power to get back out there, now of course it's not going to be e ...more
Emma Crowley
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
How to Get a Love Life is the debut novel from Rosie Blake now being republished with an updated cover to fit in more with her two books recently published, How to Stuff Up Christmas and How to Find your (First) Husband, both of which I have read and enjoyed. So by reading this book featuring Nicola Brown and her quest to complete a challenge set down by her co-worker and friend Caroline Harper I would be up to date with the wonderful, humorous writing of Rosie Blake. I loved this book from begi ...more
Evie
Mar 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm really sorry, but this book was awful. Formulaic, the men are all pigs and the book didn't have any sort of climax at all, and there were massive plot holes. It was a way to pass 2 hours, but it wasn't worth those two hours.
Carolyn
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!

Funny, engaging, and heart warming! Nicolas journey had me giggling and crying as she faced her 'project' to find love. A wonderful, light hearted read but with some wonderful lessons in there too.
Samantha
Not one of the best chic lits I have read but also not one of the worst. It did have its humorous moments but I felt that it lacked order.
The story was about Nicola Brown a girl who is orderly, organised and enjoys her work but because of a previous failed relationship she has decided she is not interested in men. Her colleague at work Caroline has become a good friend and she is worried that Nicola is only living half a life which is boring so she dares her to get a date for Valentines day and
Linda Hill
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nicola Brown is a control freak and that means not only is her flat pristine, but so are her emotions – she doesn’t let them get away from her. Perhaps she should.

What a hugely entertaining read How To Get A (Love) Life is. I enjoyed every word. Rosie Blake has the skill of producing a light, delightful read that also manages to be intelligently written so that it is effortless to immerse yourself in and escape reality for a while. I’ve said before that I
Zarina
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review originally published to my blog:

I've had the pleasure to review a few novels that have been published by Novelicious and they all have one thing in common: They're very, very funny. So you can imagine how pleased I was when I was asked if I wanted to read an early copy of the latest release from the women's fiction site's digital imprint, How to Get a (Love) Life (spoiler alert: super pleased). In the lead up to the publication I got to stalk, I mea
Melanie
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nicola is both single and set in her ways - a very strict routine of particular meals on certain days and lunch at a set time, a wardrobe full of dull clothes and a severe lack of adventure. Having been stung in the past, a strictly No Men rule appears to have formed also. She works at Bristol’s Top Actors Agency with Caroline, who is her complete opposite – an unorganised Mother, always looking to have some fun. Caroline fears that Nicola is missing out on life by restricting her experiences. S ...more
Melisa Greenfield
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There is very little I love better than a book that makes me laugh aloud, question certain aspects of my life, makes me cry, gasp, and make me become so involved with the characters and the story that I miss my stop on the tube. This book does them all except one but, let's face it, crying isn't exactly my (nor anyone else's) favourite thing to do.

I knew when I read snippets of this book on Twitter thanks to @RosieBBooks that I HAD to get my hands on it, especially considering all the reviews I
Leah
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Not a lot of books come with as much hype as Rosie Blake’s debut novel did. Ever since it was announced, I was expecting the kind of read I would fall immediately in love with, a novel to rival any Sophie Kinsella book. The bright yellow cover is eye-catching, and it draws you in and I was really, really excited to receive my copy to review. And it PAINS me to type this (it really, really does; this review will be one big pain-fest) but I really didn’t love it as much as I wanted to, or expected ...more
Emma
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I saw a lot of hype surrounding this book when it was released but as my TBR pile was very high, I decided to wait until I had freed up some reading space before I got it. I then spotted it on Amazon a few months ago for free! Yes FREE! So I couldn't resist!

First of all I know you shouldn't judge a book by it’s cover but look how pretty it is?! It stands out so well that it would make anybody pick it up! The second thing is that line at the beginning of the book! I’m sure I don’t need to tell yo
Kelly
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would firstly like to thank Kerry at Novelicious for sending me an E copy of How To Get A (Love) Life for review.

How To Get A (Love) Life is the story of Nicole, a single woman in her 30s who has never had a date for Valentine’s day. Following her heartbreak after the break up of her relationship a few years back, Nicole with her OCD tendencies, has locked up her heart to avoid being hurt again. But of course, Nicole’s colleague Caroline, upon discovering this, decides that what Nicole needs i
LeeLeeLoves
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How to Get a (Love) Life follows the story of Nicola Brown on her mission to find herself a man before valentines day, a real man, a tall handsome muscular man. The only reason Nicola actually wants to navigate away from her very orderly life of solitude is because of her work college Caroline.

Nicola works for a small acting agency with Caroline and their boss James, although they are a very small knit team the business is booming and she will do anything to help them succeed, even if it involve
Anne John-Ligali
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Now here’s a plot with legs and a character that’s been so beaten down in the dating game you just want to root for her all the way. I so wanted Nicola to finally get a nice date, meet a nice man and to be happy. The dates she had were believable and unbelievable at the same time. I found myself nodding away a bit like a nodding dog.

Nicola hasn’t had a date for ages and has nothing lined up for Valentine’s Day. So when colleague and friend Caroline hears of this she sets Nicola a challenge to fi
Fabulous Book Fiend
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review: I was very lucky to get a review copy of this fabulous debut novel and I was extreme,y excited to read it. This is just the kind of book you need to banish those Winter blues. It's funny and light-hearted and has that all important chick-lit formula. I loved the concept behind the story-the idea that Nicola has to find a date before valentines day, a challenge if you will. We've all been in the position of need edging a date for a certain event or time in our life and it made it all the ...more
Jody
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review posted on my blog: http://spoonfulofhappyendings.blogspo...

Nicola Brown is nearing the end of her twenties and as single as can be. Not that she has a problem with that; Nicola likes to control everything in her life, from what she eats to at what specific time she eats it, and letting a man into her life doesn’t really fit in with that. However, Nicola’s colleague Caroline has different ideas about this and believes it is time for Nicola to find her Mr. Right. She challenges Nicola to go
  • There's More to Life Than Cupcakes
  • Mary Bennet
  • Love Me or Leave Me
  • If I Could Turn Back Time
  • Babies in Waiting
Rosie is a writer, vlogger and amateur Mum. She loves to chat and write about love, sex, dating and relationships. She has written features for Cosmopolitan, The Lady, The Sunday People, Reveal and Best Magazine. She has appeared on ITV, Sky and Channel 4.

Her first romantic comedy HOW TO GET A (LOVE) LIFE was published in 2014. Atlantic Books published HOW TO STUFF UP CHRISTMAS in 2015 and HOW TO
More about Rosie Blake

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be