Start by marking “Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach” as Want to Read:
Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach

Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  183 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This book features a new approach to the teaching of undergraduate physical chemistry. It covers all relevant areas, including molecular spectroscopy, electronic structure computations, molecular beam methods and time-resolved measurements of chemical systems.
Published January 1st 1997 by University Science Books

Harry Haller
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: texts
This is arguably the best physical chemistry book out there. The method of presentation and teaching and the high grade quality of the problems are outstanding. This is a great introduction to quantum mechanics and is used in some physics departments as such.

I studied chemistry, but that was a few years ago. I wanted to get back to studying quantum mechanics as pass-time. I still had my Atkins book but didn't care for it much. I checked out some of the newer editions by Atkins and other authors
Dan Gezelter
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I just adopted this book for my junior-level physical chemistry class. It has one of the best introductory treatments of quantum chemistry out there. The statistical mechanics / thermo sections are a bit weaker, however.
Jonathan Zheng
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(I only used this for the quantum mechanics section. I have heard this book's treatment of thermodynamics is not quite as good.)
Best textbook I've ever used. Chapters are compact but well-written and logically structured. Content is made interesting. Practice problems and math practice sections are infinitely useful to undergraduates. Highly recommend for one learning physical chemistry / quantum mechanics for the first time.
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Although I found the math chapters to be quite helpful, the other chapters seemed to be a bit verbose and go into areas that were not very relevant to an undergraduate level course. Something I confirmed when I took a graduate level course in Statistical Thermodynamics. I found it interesting that this book seemed to work much better for that graduate level class than for the undergraduate course where I originally encountered it. The fact that McQuarrie puts some of the problems found in this b ...more
Brian Bloom
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I took a Pchem 1 and 2 with this book and wasn't a huge fan. But in grad school I find it the best book to go to for reviewing physical chemistry concepts.
Jul 07, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Meghan by: Megan Hilton
"Physical Chemistry is power, it is exactness..."yada yada yada!!!
Jeffrey Sung
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Clearly designed for a lower level than his Statistical Mechanics or Quantum Chemistry textbooks, this (enormous) textbook goes into much more depth than McQuarrie normally does. The statmech coverage isn't the greatest, but that's because it's intended for undergraduates and obviously he couldn't fit his statmech textbook into a few chapters of this one.
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: textbooks
I found this book late in my undergraduate physical chemistry courses and so I only know about chapters 17-30. This book has saved me! Atkins is the traditional book used in my school's physical chemistry courses but for my final term McQuarrie is optional and heavily integrated in to the class. I had enough of Atkins. For me, Atkins is too abrupt! Not enough translation in to the English language. If you are gifted in advanced calculus and physical chemistry, then Atkins seems to work. I'm not ...more
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other
As clear as it is ever likely to be, despite the frequency of statements like "the ten steps from a priori to this point are trivial, and have been omitted."
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chemistry
Physical Chemistry...
Ataur Rahman
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chemistry
This book is very effective
Anurupa Moitra
Dec 25, 2017
Sep 05, 2015
Jan 17, 2010
Sancharee Sen
rated it did not like it
Aug 14, 2017
  • Critical Thinking
  • Calculus
  • The Human Past: World Prehistory and the Development of Human Societies
  • Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry
  • Cathedrals of Science: The Personalities and Rivalries That Made Modern Chemistry
  • Elementary Linear Algebra with Applications