Start by marking “Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way (Audiobook)” as Want to Read:
Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way (Audiobook)

Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way (Audiobook)

With the completion of the written book, the prospects of doing a "regular" audio adaptation weren't very appealing. But then a few things dawned on me: 1. I'm the lead character of the book. 2. As an actor by trade, I could play the part. 3. I'm knee deep in actor pals, why not record the book like a radio play? So, that's exactly what happened. I rounded up an excellent ...more
Audio CD
Published 2005 by Rykodisc

To ask other readers questions about Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way

Melki
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous-fiction
I was hoping for this one to be some sort of hilarious parody of How to Make Love to a Woman, so I was a little disappointed to find the book is actually an account of Campbell's attempts to break free of his B-movie reputation by playing a doorman in a Mike Nichols' rom-com.

It all begins with Campbell's agent asking Bruce to write a "relationship book." But, Campbell, who lost his virginity at age twenty-three, and married the first woman who ever came on to him, confesses, "When it comes to w
Mike (the Paladin)
This was another library book! So to the top of the currently reading list it goes. People are probably waiting. I'm sure the line for this book must be around the block.

Well I finished this book and ultimately gave it a good rating. This in spite of my initial disappointment. I mean imagine my dismay upon discovering that what I thought was to be a "how to manual" on love making from a suave and well known movie star (is "well known" and "movie star" repetitive? Oh well.) turned out to be simpl
Karla
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who aren't ashamed to laugh at goofy, dumb stuff
FULL DISCLOSURE: I am a Bruce Campbell fangirl. I have watched the Evil Dead trilogy, Bubba-Ho-Tep, My Name Is Bruce, and The Man With the Screaming Brain multiple times. The only episodes of Hercules and Xena: Warrior Princess worth my time are the ones he guest stars in. Jack of All Trades? Totally hilarious.

In my deluded little mind, I am the future Mrs. Bruce Campbell.

OK, not that last bit. I do have a firm grasp of reality, thankyouverymuch, but I am quite a fan of The Chinsome One in all h
Sam
Oct 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much fun! If you are looking for a book that's actually about Bruce Campbell, read "If Chins Could Kill." If you want a laugh out loud funny, somewhat autobiographical, mostly fictitious story, this is the book for you. "Chins" is funny and informative, "Make Love" is funnier but not so informative.

Campbell tells the story of his attempt to supercede his B-movie status and make it in the big time. Every moment in here is embelished for the kind of slapstick humor Campbell is great at and to e
Dan
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is stupid. Also, I liked it. I liked it quite a bit. I didn't want to like it -- after all, I'm far too sophisticated. This book has pictures. Pictures!

But like it I did. Dangit.

This book gave me several laugh-out-loud moments, as opposed to those books that are just funny in an intellectual sort of way. It's the writing style. The story isn't believable, just like the movie Army of Darkness wasn't. They were just lots and lots of fun.

If I have one complaint, it's the story arc. The bo
Patrick
Jan 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2005
Bruce takes a shot at humorous fiction and nails it. He uses himself as the main character, and tells the story of how he gets a shot in a mainstream Mike Nichols-directed drama starring Richard Gere, Renne Zellwegger, and Morgan Freeman as the wise doorman. Bruce basically gives Nichols really bad advice on how to make the movie better, which of course, ruins it. This is both metafiction and epistolary at times, which are two words I just learned this week.
Josie
I am a diehard BC fan, and I adored "If Chins Could Kill". In fact, I've lent it to numerous friends who had no idea who BC was and THEY liked it. That being said, I was pretty disappointed in this book. Bruce's tone is still engaging. There are still funny moments. But most of the writing is too over-the-top ludicrous without the lanyard of actual reality to bring it back down to earth. And while some people seem to really enjoy the graphics, I found most of them to just be badly photoshopped ...more
Adrian Winter
Jul 24, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Bruce Campbell
When I first picked this book up, I thought it was a follow up to Bruce's memoir, "If Chins Could Kill". I was a little surprised to find out that it is a work of comic fiction starring himself on the set of a movie costarring Richard Gere and Renee Zellweger.

One thing I know from reading this is that Bruce is a funny guy. The story is fantastical in and of itself, as he ends up in the kind of completely outlandish situations that you would expect to see played out of any of the last couple of m
Jennie
Dec 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Bubba Hotep
Shelves: humor
Do you love baaad movies, chock-full of cheesy puns and ridiculous fight scenes? Do ginormous chins make you weak in the knees? Do romantic comedies make you want to puke? Is sarcasm your native tongue? Then this book is for you! Familiarity with Bruce Campbell's work is helpful, but not required. I admit, the story started to flag a little towards the end, but then what B movie doesn't? Definitely a nice break for my brain, and good if you need something to make you giggle out loud.
Jim
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, 2fiction, 1paper
I thought this was another autobiography. It's not. Campbell takes an element of his real life, then twists it into a funny fantasy. I should say 'warps', not just 'twists'. It is funny, if you like his sort of humor & can get into it for an entire book. I found my sense of humor tripping out well before the end, unfortunately. Still, it was fun.
11811 (Eleven)
Funny parts were funny, action parts were a little drawn out - kind of like Army of Darkness.
Glyn Jenkins
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My recommendation listen to the audiobook, Bruce's narration is always worth at least one star. This is wonderfully absurdist comedy of the making of a fictional film.
Rumfuddle
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This (hopefully) fictional account of Mr Campbells attempt to jump to the big time by appearing in in an "A" lister rom-com headed by Richard Gere and Renee Zellweger.

Very enjoyable, I only wish that I could have seen the finished film.
Cameron
May 22, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Absurdity has a strange place in entertainment. When we know that a story is true, absurdity makes that story more fascinating and exciting. Things that happen that are out of the ordinary or unexpected make the tale more memorable. On the other hand, absurdity in fiction does kind of the opposite. How many times have you heard the phrase "Oh that would never happen in real life" or "That is so unrealistic" while watching a movie or TV show? Often times we expect a level of realism when it comes ...more
Sarah (saz101)
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, audiobook
Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way is work of fiction about Campbell, for Campbell fans. If you love Bruce Campbell the man, or the character, you'll love Make Love. If you're a fan of high-camp, B-Grade, Hollywood, you'll also find a few laughs, but it's fair to say this may miss the mark for those not familiar with the Evil Dead/Campbell/Raimi legend.

But this is a review of the audiobook--not the ink and paper version, and this needs to be stated. Because the production quality is wonderful. As
Clarissa
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although I love the flap summary of the book

(excerpt from said flap summary: The action revolves around my preparations for a pivotal role in the A-list relationship film Let's Make Love! But my Homeric attempt to break through the glass ceiling of B-grade genre fare is hampered by a vengeful studio executive and a production that becomes infected by something called the "B movie virus," symptoms of which include excessive use of cheesy special effects, slapstick, and projectile vomiting.)

This
Trent Ross
Mar 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I can't say that I was expecting a whole lot from this book. In fact I had no idea what to expect from this book. The name didn't give me a whole lot of faith in the quality of the book. However needless to say, as you can see I gave it 5 stars, I was rather pleasantly surprised.

As long as your familiar with some of Bruce Campbell's works, or are just opening minded, you should enjoy this book. This follows Bruce's rather outrageous exploits as he try's to fight into the ranks of A list actors.
Tracy Mazur
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I admit I cheated on this one. I "read" it as an audio book.

I can't help it, I love listening to audio books at the gym. It distracts me from the humdrum of exercise so much better than regular music. Most books I want to read with my eyes, but some of them I admit that I'd probably never get to so audio is the way to go.

As far as this one...it's a scream. Not sure how I'd feel about it if I read it instead of heard it, but Bruce Campbell is a fantastic narrator, especially for his own stuff.

Two
Sarah Pierce
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This man is ridiculous, and I love him. Cool, wry, sardonic, sarcastic… (sigh), he’s perfect! This is a work of fiction, says so right there at the beginning, but I believe you could learn a lot about the film world by reading this. If you don’t really care about the film world, it’s still pretty entertaining. All of the situations are pretty over-the-top but hilarious, and the fact that they are written by Bruce Campbell just makes them that much cooler.
Thomas Strömquist
"For about a fourth of this book I was very pleasantly surprised - I really enjoyed Bruce's autobiography (If chins could kill) but had serious doubts of a fictional story of the planning and startup of an 'A' movie production starring Bruce as a relationship wizard/doorman. Unfortunately, this proved to be true, as the main part of this short book is quite hard to get through, a bit incoherent and simply not funny. Read "chins" instead! "
Becky
I got Bruce to autograph this at a book signing. It’s obviously one of my most precious possessions. It’s terribly sarcastic the whole way through, and just what you would hope for. If you love Bruce, (and if you don't, we can't be friends), then this book is for you.
Corstiaan
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Just as good as his movies ...
Phil
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit-general
While a work of fiction, this novel is written in the first person with Bruce Campbell himself as the viewpoint character, and the narrative is packed with living Hollywood figures like Richard Gere and Renee Zellweger. The story involves veteran B-movie actor Bruce Campbell landing a supporting role in a big budget romantic comedy called "Lets Make Love." Over the course of the book, Campbell finds himself a bit of a fish out of water as a down-to-earth working man surrounded by Hollywood elite ...more
blake
This is a funny book. Funnier, perhaps, than one would expect.

In it, cult-movie favorite Bruce Campbell spins a (highly stylized) narrative of his brief time preparing for an A-list movie directed by Mike Nichols. Part of this stylization is the character of Bruce himself, who bears a striking resemblance at times to his most iconic character, that of Ash from The Evil Dead series of movies. A queerly competent jackass whose propensity for getting into difficult situations nearly matched by his
Jon Shanks
A fun read, but a bit of an odd duck seeing as, even though it was a fictional satirical work, the fact that it is told by Bruce Campbell in a similar narrative style to his autobiography, If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor and features appearances from real Hollywood luminaries like Mike Nicholls, Richard Gere & Renée Zellweger, you have to keep reminding yourself that this is a work of fiction, but keep wondering just how much truth is mixed in. Therein lies the problem. T ...more
Tom Rowe
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the greatest Bruce Campbell book performed by Bruce Campbell from a script adapted by Bruce Campbell based on a book by Bruce Campbell about Bruce Campbell that I have ever listened to. This book is hilarious! What's really great besides the Campbellian humor is how well the book was adapted for audio. It adds a cast and sound effects. I loved the meta use of sound effects in the chase scene (really, you have to hear it), but I thought the Elizabeth Taylor scene was, while funny, a littl ...more
Darcy
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1977 Steve Martin released a book entitled, "Cruel Shoes." At the time, and since then, I considered it the funniest book I have ever read. Well, it has now been notched back a spot into second place as Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way is my new King of Humor. This fictional (and maybe not so fictional) account of making a movie is laugh out loud hilarious and is a book that made me keep wanting to read just one more section. It is wildly unpredictable careening journey of a story that I woul ...more
Sean Kottke
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Bruce Campbell writes fun fiction as well as he writes fun memoir. It's not quite as over-the-top as the fictionalized best- and worst-case scenario hitchhiking trips that kick off John Waters' Carsick, but it does build from a plausibly comic vision of a B-movie actor seeking to break out of type in a prestige pic to a farcical Hollywood caper not unlike the third acts of Blazing Saddles and Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.
Bill Conrad
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
is was a funny quirky book about making a movie that never came out. Only Bruce Campbell could have had this occurrence and could have captured its essence. This is a fast-paced funny read that had several scenes that left me in stitches. Bruce Cambell is a great author and this is another fine example of his work. I liked this funny book that I have recommended it to other people.
Noah Wilson
Bruce Campbell writes with a lot of character, which is great. I was a big fan of his 2 autobiaographies, especially the first, but after reading this I think he should probably stick to that format. The story here is wildly inconsistent throughout, basically a collection of sketches, and overall just not very interesting. There is a few parts that were pretty groovy though.
Around the Year i...: Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way, by Bruce Campbell 1 8 Jan 27, 2018 05:23PM
  • The Evil Dead Companion
  • A Year at the Movies: One Man's Filmgoing Odyssey
  • Will the Vampire People Please Leave the Lobby?
  • Lord of Misrule
  • The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists
  • Boneyard, Volume 1
  • Mental Hygiene: Better Living Through Classroom Films 1945-1970
  • The Shroud of the Thwacker
  • Television Without Pity: 752 Things We Love to Hate (and Hate to Love) About TV
Bruce Lorne Campbell is an American actor, producer, writer and director. He is best known for his starring role as Ash in the Evil Dead trilogy of horror/slapstick movies, and has since become a B-movie icon.

His acting style is an "over-the-top" machismo that lends itself well to roles such as that of Ash Williams, whom Campbell himself has dubbed "an idiot and a jerk like the rest of us". This s