Start by marking “Marguerite Duras: A Life” as Want to Read:
Marguerite Duras: A Life

Marguerite Duras: A Life

When Marguerite Duras was published in France in 1998, it reached the top of the bestseller lists immediately, and Duras, who had led an unapologetically controversial life, was propelled once again into the headlines. The author of The Lover, Hiroshima Mon Amour, and The War: A Memoir, Duras has long been a symbol of France's complex role in World War II and the country's ...more
Published December 15th 2000 by University of Chicago Press

To ask other readers questions about Marguerite Duras, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marguerite Duras

Mina-Louise
Wanted to read this because I both adore and am somewhat terrified by Duras. In a sense this humanised her— and I appreciate when my adoration is entangled in humanness.
In the preface the author writes that Marguerite had hidden certain aspects of her life, and also didn’t want anyone but herself to write about her life. In ways she was a deeply private person, and nosiness allows us to think we have a right to read about a life she didn’t want to share.
To me she feels like a person very entitl
Trish
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Duras's life was very turbulent and I found her biography more gripping than her writings! She did live in "interesting times", knew loads of intellectuals who've left more substantial legacies and drank (far too much) in all the most renowned drinking holes of mid-20th c Paris. She fell out with le Tout-Paris, and with anyone who dared to refuse her total worship.
I wish there had been a chronology to refer to, as she had a long, unhappy life and many literary works, as well as cinema (some of
Takisx
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Πόσο κρίμα που δεν κυκλοφορεί αυτό το αριστούργημα πια. Είχε βγει στις αρχές του 2000 απο τις εκδόσεις Ηλέκτρα, αλλά σύντομα μας είπαν γκούντμπαι. Χρειάζεται να πω πως είμαι εκρηκρικά περήφανος που το χω στη συλλογή μου;

(τους βαθμούς που βάλατε, τους λίγους βαθμούς που βάλατε, τους έχουμε χεσμένους)
Mary Vlahovich
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
From this I learned why Duras wrote the way she did.
Dreamy or stupor? No matter. I love her writing.
Nanou
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magnifique document sur Marguerite Duras, à picorer sans retenue, pour mieux découvrir l'univers de la romancière.
Gretchen Rings
Currently rented "The Lover" (steamy!) and am now wanting to learn more about this fascinating woman.

Update (5/8/09): I didn't find her as fascinating as I thought I would. Didn't get very far in the memoir.
Géraldine
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies, france
LA bio de référence sur Marguerite Duras. De plus un très beau livre, qui rend chaque époque de sa vie passionnante (enfance pauvre en Indochine, Résistance, après-guerre, etc.). Un très beau livre.
Julie Gagnon