Start by marking “The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be” as Want to Read:
The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be

The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be

Revised and expanded for the second edition, this text provides an action-packed, month-by-month guide to all the emotional, financial and even physical changes a father-to-be may experience during the course of his partner's pregnancy.
Paperback, Second Edition, 271 pages
Published April 3rd 2001 by Abbeville Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Expectant Father, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Expectant Father

Start your review of The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be
Dan Schwent
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, 2019-books
So we've got a baby due in the heat of summer. I was planning on winging it, reasoning that people have been having babies for decades now without reading a book first, but my wife handed me this and I knew better than to argue.

The Expect Father is written with the dad in mind, obviously. It's laid out month by month, noting what the baby is experiencing, what the mother is experiencing, and what the father should probably be thinking, feeling, and doing.

Brott dispenses some good advice and
Randy
Dec 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: New Fathers who are incredibly stupid and/or bored
Kind of a lot of extraneous information gets in the way of what should be a much shorter book. This book insulted my intelligence. I guess this wasn't really what I was looking for. It's too broad to be of any real use to me. I much prefer brief, no-bullshit specific advice on things that are not subjective. This just came across as a really well-meaning collection of good things which don't really match up with each other. Who wants to sift through that? Especially new fathers or fathers to be. ...more
Scott Rhee
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So, it’s the big day. My wife and I are going to the hospital to be admitted, and in a few short hours (hopefully) we will be delivering a healthy baby girl into the world, and I have to say that I’m much less nervous than I would have been had I not read Armin A. Brott and Jennifer Ash’s excellent daddy-to-be prep guidebook “The Expectant Father”.

I’m still nervous, of course, but many of my fears and confusions have been allayed somewhat by the thorough and straightforward research done by
Margaret
Jun 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
I bought this book for my husband to read as we're expecting our first baby. We both read it. I found it generic, he found it insulting and humorous.

Here are some of his favorite tips for dads:
--If you need a break because you're overwhelmed by your wife's pregnancy and emotional state, take a break from her. Go to the beach. Take a vacation on your own. (This will probably become one of the many in-jokes in our pregnancy.)
--You're a hero if you go to the doctor's appointments with her. (When we
Josh
Mar 12, 2008 added it
When you’re having a baby, almost everyone whose had one has some advice for you, whether you want it or not. Unfortunately, it’s still considered rude in our society to tell those people to shut up.
This book is kind of like that. It’s more or less one person’s opinions and experience with a few studies thrown in. The difference between this and some lady you see at a restaurant is that you can tell the book to shut up.
I ended up skimming quite a bit of the book (Is it bad that I skipped the “
Mike Mueller
3.5 stars.

This book was pretty helpful overall, with a lot of passages I ended up highlighting (e.g. "list of questions for your pediatrician"). The structure is good, with a chapter per month and listings of physical conditions and emotions you & your partner might be experiencing. A lot of it has lined up with what we've experienced so far! It helps to know what we can anticipate in the coming months.

I think this book would be much improved if the information about the individual stages of
John
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I first became a father to the daughters in my pictures, this book was instrumental in my learning journey. It was enlightening and surprising. I didn't realize how much about the whole process that I didn't know. I had grown up around kids my whole life but I was a complete newbie when it came to babies.
Davy
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm reading this alongside What to Expect When You're Expecting for a more comprehensive view. So far, it's very similar in content to that book, but with a fatherly slant to it. All in all, it met my expectations and will be reading the next in the series.
Shelly Johnson
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I bought this for my husband, but wound up really enjoying it for myself! It was really interesting to hear about pregnancy from the male perspective, something that is really lacking in probably most books of this type. I thought the author was a good balance between a "real" parent, with perhaps a little "hippie" thrown in there. For example, he pointed out that most practitioners don't love birth plans... I suspected that, but from all the other mommy blogs and books you would think EVERYONE ...more
Michael Ellsworth
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
If anyone actually reads my reviews... preslee is pregnant.
Andrew Wiser
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
It was nice to read something directed towards fathers and get some encouragement (I don't think my midwife has even made eye contact with me yet).

But there was a lot of bad statistics (so much correlation != causation) and self-promotion for other books and websites.
Michael Hicks
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought
Armin Brott's THE EXPECTANT FATHER is a terrific resource for new daddies preparing for the biggest, and most rewarding, change in their life.

Brott is direct and straight-forward in his presentations, and his information is well-researched and sourced, so if you have any questions or would like to know more about the material presented, it's very easy to find his primary sources. He has also compiled a very handy Resources appendix to further one's own research into this challenging new
Madasi
Oct 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any expectant dads
This book is fantastic. The first time you and your wife become pregnant, books will start appearing out of thin air telling her every minute detail of what is happening each day of the pregnancy, what the baby is doing now, how big it is, what might go wrong now, and how to deal with it. If you are like is, you'll end up with 2.3 copies of each book on the subject.
This book is different, because it is for the father. It not only tells you what is going on with your wife, and future offspring,
Tony
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book while watching my wife rest during labor has been one of the most eye-opening experiences of my life. I wish I would have read this book as soon as we discovered we were pregnant but the insight was still very well-received. All dads-to-be should read this!
Mohammed Algarawi
Apr 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm not even gonna waste my time reviewing this useless sad excuse of a book. I'm intellectually offended by how commercial this book is.
Zetagilgamesh
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written, solid and insightful. I can say that the medical information provided is pretty spot on in all regards and that this book should be required reading for all expecting dads.
Joshua Brist
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
A very good overview for first time dads. I think it's hard to cover this much info and keep the pace moving along but they did it. However, it loses a star for being a little too focused on just mainstream viewpoints. My wife and I were going through a birth center so there was a lot of info that could have been adjusted. A second huge star is taken away for the condescending tone towards men. In every section there was some kind of statement equivalent to, "don't forget to be a caring person ...more
Brendan Paras
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As comprehensive as it is helpful. Essential reading for every expecting father to be. Walks readers through the initial stages of pregnancy, what to expect each month, and sets the tone for the months immediately following child birth. I was otherwise ill informed, but now feel like a PhD on pregnancy (or an MD on obstetrics?). Bring on the baby and the challenges it brings with it.

Onto his next book regarding the first year.. wish me good luck and send me your t’s and p’s.
Xin
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Received this book from a friend, knowing that I was becoming a father soon.
The book is very well organized in chronological order of a women's pregnancy, and discussed a lot of practical things as well as expectation changes durning the pregnancy. This book addressed all the questions and curiosities I had as a father that is interested in the whole process of pregnancy. However I wouldn't say it goes into a lot of depth. I find myself more knowledge on certain topics discussed in this book
Mr. Brammer
Dec 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
There are a LOT of books out there. And the getting-ready-to-be parents genre is its own cottage industry, selling product to raise parenting expectations. This one has a lot of outdated information, is at times offensive, (especially the comments about why it would be nice to have a "cute, 20 year old au pair in your house") and rather clumsily promotes the idea of an equal partnership in raising children, while the existence of this book presumes a sort of paternal laziness ("I'll just read ...more
Chip Adcock
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The premier dad-to-be book. It has all the information you need to be a good partner to the future mother. This book was very well researched and full of great stories, studies, lists, & techniques. It's basically "The Bump" for men. There were times where I knew more about the baby than my wife did.
Blaine McGaffigan
Tons of invaluable information. Best if read month to month during the pregnancy.
Kevin McGinn
Mar 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Book took me months and months to get there cause it was so bad. If I could have given this book 0 stars or a negative number, I would have
Chad Warner
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
An informative book for expectant fathers. Each chapter deals with a different stage of pregnancy, and tells what’s happening with the woman (physically and emotionally), what’s happening with the baby, and what’s happening with you (the man). The author references many medical and psychological studies, but also adds anecdotes from his own experience, which provides just enough humor.

The author’s stance is that men shouldn’t bottle up their feelings, but should be open to expressing them, and
Peter Knox
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read The Expectant Father as things progressed during my wife's pregnancy and with her 'estimated due date' tomorrow, I've finished just in time.

I'm sure lots of people would tell parents-to-be that if they read "just one book" it should be ___, but for dads, I don't believe there's a better book for THEM than this one.

Every chapter covers what's going on with your partner, you, and the baby that month. It touches upon what you need to be doing to prepare for the baby (financially, physically,
David Marino
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I love the fact that there is a book dedicated to the sorely underrepresented portion of the population known as fathers. In many pregnancy or newborn books, words for the father are usually relegated to amusing anecdotes or sidebars. The Expectant Father puts dads at the forefront (as one might anticipate).

However, for a book with such an extensive bibliography and resource section, I found much of the information inaccurate or unhelpful. Another review already mentioned this, but bumpers are
David
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
This book was fantastic! It provides lots of great information and is a fun read - it is definitely a book written by a guy for guys. While written in a format such that each chapter corresponds to each month of the pregnancy, you should just read the whole thing (I did). Other than the first few pages of each chapter, which talk about how the baby, the mother and you are feeling, the rest of the chapter does not relate much to the specific month. For example, chapter three talks a lot about ...more
Matt
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it

If you are the type of person who likes information conveyed in more of a reference, straightforward, and bullet pointed manner, then this is your book of choice for all things fatherhood. I appreciated the breadth of knowledge covered (I don't think any stone was left unturned) and I certainly learned more than I could have ever hoped.

But this is also my only complaint about the book. Since every stone was unturned, there weren't any curveballs, there wasn't any long winded diatribes or rants,
Cole Schoolland
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection of practical information and advice for expectant fathers. I liked it so much, I bought a 2nd copy of a friend.

Chapters are organized by month of pregnancy. Topics discussed cover a very broad range of topics, some of which get readdressed several times as things process. Issues like: sex, finances, emotions, college-funds, what to buy and when, and good detail about various medical procedures that may or may not be involved.

I liked the focus on the relationship with your
Dan Koulomzin
Mar 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Not only is this the best book I've seen for expectant fathers, but it might be the best book I've seen for expectant parents. Sure, the focus is on the father's relationship to the pregnancy and his partner, but this book does an excellent job of addressing the issues in an even-handed and calm manner. The author, though rather manly (an ex-marine), isn't trying to pigeon-hole fathers-to-be into some hyper-manly role... instead he takes a very modern and sensitive approach to what it means to ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Dude, You're Gonna Be a Dad!: How to Get (Both of You) Through the Next 9 Months
  • Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads
  • We're Pregnant! The First Time Dad's Pregnancy Handbook
  • The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
  • Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool
  • What to Expect When You're Expecting
  • From Dude to Dad: The Diaper Dude Guide to Pregnancy
  • The Birth Partner
  • Home Game: An Accidental Guide to Fatherhood
  • Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five
  • Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong - and What You Really Need to Know
  • Birth Partner 5th Edition: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Partners, Doulas, and All Other Labor Companions
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • What to Expect When Your Wife is Expanding: A Reassuring Month-by-Month Guide for the Father-to-Be, Whether He Wants Advice or Not
  • The New Dad's Playbook: Gearing Up for the Biggest Game of Your Life
  • On Becoming Baby Wise: Giving Your Infant the Gift of Nighttime Sleep
  • Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting
“The New Father: A Dad’s Guide to the First Year and Fathering Your Toddler: A Dad’s Guide to the Second and Third Years.” 0 likes
“If someone hasn’t bought them for you already, I’d recommend that you rush right out and get copies of The New Father: A Dad’s Guide to the First Year and Fathering Your Toddler: A Dad’s Guide to the Second and Third Years. These books pick up where this one leaves off and continue the process of giving you the skills, knowledge, confidence, and support you’ll need to be the best possible dad. All of them are also available as e-books.” 0 likes