Start by marking “From Here To Paris - Get laid off. Buy a barge in France. Take it to Paris” as Want to Read:
From Here To Paris - Get laid off. Buy a barge in France. Take it to Paris

From Here To Paris - Get laid off. Buy a barge in France. Take it to Paris

The perky young Vice President of Human Resources touched me on the shoulder and said, “Have a nice life.”
That moment, standing in the parking lot with my personal possessions in a cardboard box and my severance papers stuffed in my pocket, I thought, “Why the hell not?”
The anarchist inside me was urging me back into the building to play carelessly with matches, but inst
Published December 2nd 2013 by Davenator Press

Be the first to ask a question about From Here To Paris - Get laid off. Buy a barge in France. Take it to Paris

Tripfiction
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75*

“Tell us what you’ve seen in far away forgotten lands” (The Moody Blues)

Cris loses his job and has to rethink his life. His first new venture is to be out on the water in California, snapping photos of the yachts passing by in true paparazzo fashion and then selling the yachting community photos of themselves and their boats. Incredibly, he makes a go of this venture, but something nevertheless is calling him to France.

And it is a ‘for sale’ ad for “Baby”, a barge, that catches his eye. Lin
Chris Wolak
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such an enjoyable memoir, a wonderful escape into the life of someone who took a risk to start living the life he wanted. Cris Hammond followed a lead that his wife left taped to the bathroom mirror and radically changed their lives forever.

I love memoirs about people with boats--books about people who make their livelihood on the ocean or those who buy a boat to cruise the coast. This is the first book I've read about a barge or boating in France. Who knew there's this whole sub-cultur
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really a fun fun read.
I am a firm believer that getting laid off can be a WONDERFUL new start and Cris Hammond that it is and with much wit.
Gerald Goacher
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Great Read

Difficult to put down if you like any type of travel especially canals and boats and the French canals are great
Paulita Kincer
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I first read A Year in Provence, I've enjoyed memoirs about ex-pats who move to France. This one was no exception.
The author had lost his job in California and started a new business taking pictures of boats in San Francisco Bay then selling the pictures online to the boats' owners. During the grueling work, he got smitten by the idea of spending time in France and ended up buying a barge that would travel up the rivers and canals of France. He had to deal with renovations of the bar
Jacqueline
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france, memoirs, travel
From the beginning I very much enjoyed this book, the scene was succinctly set, I liked the writing style and it moved at a good pace. When life presents obstacles some people see it as a sign and have the courage to change direction and grasp something completely different. Cris and Linda are two such people and their something different is an old, forgotten Dutch barge in a boatyard in Burgundy that they plan to take to Paris.

This book glides effortlessly along, just like their barge on the Bu
Emma
Since Launching France Book Tours, I have met several authors who decided to leave everything in the US or England to settle in France. All these memoirs are usually excellent and really funny as well. From Here To Paris is no exception, though Cris and his wife Linda chose an original way of expat life for part of the year every year.

Laid off in his 50s, Cris struggled between fear and elation, with the idea either of “playing” or of trying to get more, because you never have enough. After some
Diana
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Copy received from France Book Tours for an honest review.
Giveaway at: http://booknerdloleotodo.blogspot.com

I think many people dream of moving to Paris or even living there but Mr. Hammond's adventure is very unique. I can honestly say I never read about a person that lived on a barge before! When Mr. Hammond finds himself out of a job he decides that he will take off to France. I loved that he was able to add humor into many different parts of the story. This made if very enjoyable. I also fo
Keith Sickle
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love “Americans abroad” types of books and have read a lot of them. This is one of the best.

Books like this usually fall into one of three categories:
- Let me tell you about how beautiful and magical this place is
- Let me tell you about the dumb (and funny) things I’ve done
- Let me tell you my story of personal growth

Somehow Hammond manages to weave all three together beautifully.

Hammond’s excellent writing let me see the French countryside and practically smell and touch it sometimes - it def
M
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a must-read for anyone who has moved or travelled to France, or is excited by the prospect of it. Chris’ tales and struggles of an American adjusting to the French way of life are masterfully written and relatable, and sometimes, when it comes to language miscommunications, are downright hilarious.

His descriptions of French food, freshly baked flaky croissants, and the cheese and wine just make me want to hop on a plane to France. And as Chris did it, then get a barge. Though I had never
Hazel Manuel
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is just such good fun. We follow the fortunes of Cris and Linda as they face a life-changing decision and make the momentous move from California to France where they pursue their dream of living on a boat in the French waterways. The writing is fresh, compelling, laugh-out-loud funny and at times poignant and we laugh and cry along with Cris as he negotiates his way though the vagaries of the French language, dodgy mechanics, hellish canal locks and engine failures, meeting along the ...more
Lisa
You all know I am a sucker for all things French so I was prone to like this memoir... But I liked it even more than I expected to. Cris, the author, is laid off from his job in San Francisco at age 55 and his wife and him use this unexpected turning point in life to do the unexpected - they buy a river barge in France.

The book chronicles their adventures aboard the barge as the float along the various rivers and canals of France. There is a lot of humor sprinkled in and I found myself laughing
Elizabeth Cole
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wish had a six star rating because I would give it to the book. LOVED LOVED LOVED this book. Wish he had a sequel to the book.

I have occasionally looked into barge vacations for my family and I in England and this just started that fire all over again. I will have to put it on the bucket lists for travel...... Heck I might even have to start a "retirement on a barge fund" at the tender age of 29!!!!!

I laughed at this book and cried over the deaths in the family because I could relate to watch
Cheri
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable read

I thoroughly enjoyed this very interesting story about how the author decided to take his job loss as an opportunity to discover a new passion and way to live his life. I was moved also by how he dealt with the deaths of his father and beloved pet; reminding this reader to not take relationships nor time for granted. I recommend this book to anyone wanting to spend a few hours with an inspiring and heartwarming story.
Patti Wilson
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel-memoir
I love Barge memoirs

This was a fun read. I have not been to France in years and have never been on the canals. Cris brings us into his new life step by step using humor, paintings, cartoons, etc. I felt like I was a passenger with a front row seat as we visited many villages, met a variety of people, and enjoyed fresh baked croissants every morning. Great book.
C.J. Hartland
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A perfect book.

Enjoyable from start to finish. Some laugh out loud bits some inspirational bits and a touch of pain. I read a lot of books in the genre and this is my favorite so far.

P.S. Don't let the cheesy cover art fool you their are some incredible illustrations inside.
jennifer elliott
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Vacation for the mind

Great book, learned about sailing, french and felt like I was part of the family through their trials and tribulations. Glad they were able to live the life and not a typical retirement. Cheers!
Roberta
Another runaway in a different way and write about it tale and I liked it a lot. Our friends have a barge in France, so I could relate, plus the writer's style is breezy and funny. Not really new or original but fun nonetheless.
Sandra Andratta
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Interesting, funny, well-written, a good read.
Paul
Linda K Evans
Apr 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Just go for it! 1 3 Jan 29, 2014 11:19AM
Cris Hammond is an artist, writer, sculptor, and cartoonist. He spends half the year on his barge Phaedra, cruising and writing about the canals and rivers of France. The rest of the year he lives with his wife and his dog in Sausalito, California,and produces, and hopefully occasionally sells, his artwork.