Start by marking “American Honey” as Want to Read:
American Honey

American Honey

After graduating high school, Olivia “Ollie” McKenna leaves her small town roots in Summerville, Georgia, to pursue her dream of becoming a professional singer. With her best friend and older sister in tow, wholesome Ollie travels to the big city to compete in singing contest Atlanta Idol. There she meets nineteen-year-old Jack Bradley, a fellow country singer who quickly ...more
Published January 5th 2014 by Bloomwood Books

To ask other readers questions about American Honey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Honey

Alice
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
DNF on page 109/47% (08/06/2014)

2.75 “There's a lot you don't know about me, Jack Bradley.” stars.

EASY A

Ollie (Olivia) has been singing since she could talk, and now, at 18 years old, she finally has the chance to pursue it as a career. Atlanta idol is her chance. But there she meets Jack and he's just as good as she is...

Ollie, her sister, and her best friend are all there supporting her. Her mother is at home, and her father left when they were young. She's down to the finals, and it's just her and
Silver Swan
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
AMERICAN HONEY is a wonderful tale about life, love, and dreams. I loved following Ollie and Jack's journey as aspiring singers and watching how, in the process, their connection to each other deepened. I found their relationship to be very sweet, with beautiful moments that the reader will not easily forget. I also especially enjoyed the relationship between Ollie and her mother. It's nice to find young adult characters in literature who remain close to their parents.

Ms. Scrofano's writing sty
Moon Love
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
First of all, I absolutely love this cover. Now as someone who puts more stock what's on the back of the book (blurb) as opposed to the front of the book, this really stands out. I mean you have so many icons that represent different aspects of the book and the juxtaposition is just perfect.

I'm not really sure how to rate the book. So I'm just going to tell you what worked for me, what put me in a quandry, and what didn't.

What worked:

1)The characters- I really liked Ollie and Jack. Both are driv
Emma Star Crossed Reviews
This review was originally posted on Star Crossed Reviews I received this book for free for a Blog Tour in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.I found this book really enjoyable.

Ollie is a sweet and brave girl. She knows what she wants in life and she fights to get it, even though not everyone approves.

Jack is a sexy country singer. At times I didn't like him very much but deep  down he has a good heart.

I've always enjoyed X fact
Annabel Krantz
Jul 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I prefer to jump into books without much idea of what to expect, so that (hopefully) I can be pleasantly surprised! This book was definitely unexpected.

The main character, eighteen year old Ollie, has big dreams of becoming a music star. The book follows her as she attempts to break into the music business and make it to the country music mecca that is Nashville, Tennessee.

I liked the plot; it wasn’t particularly unexpected, drawing on shows like American Idol for inspiration, but I always enjoy
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Originally posted on:> http://lauraslittlebookblog.blogspot....

3.5/5

This was a really fun, upbeat book, with some really likeable characters thrown in.

Ollie is taking part in the Atlanta Idol competition to help pursue her dream of becoming a singer. It is there that she meets Jack, who is also taking part. But as Ollie and Jack start to become close friends, will Ollie lose sight of winning the competition. As the stakes get higher, will she achieve her dream or come away empty handed.

I lik
Heidi
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Olivia (Ollie) has one big dream – being a singer. When Atlanta Idol calls for contestants, she sees her big break. Jack has similar ambitions. However, there can only be one winner. What both teenagers haven’t bargained for is the fact that they are approached by agents who are after a new duo. Will Ollie and Jack be able to dismiss their dream of a solo career and start out as a duo?

This book certainly has an interesting and engaging premise. I loved the whole music contest business and the de
Claire
I won this book as part of a GoodReads contest last year, I'm glad I finally got around to reading it.

This was a very short book that I read in a day, it was a perfectly fine example of a YA novel. Would recommend if you like singing, but for no other reason.

The main character Ollie seemed incredibly flighty and quite annoying when she constantly changed her mind about whether or not she liked Jack. And Jack did not come across as someone I would want to share my dreams with tbh, he was very s
Taylor
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I thought the story was cute. However, I felt that the story lacked some depth. It was written from the main character's point of view which may explain the writing (as she was in her late teens, early twenties). I just felt that the story lacked some oomph. I did like the concept and all of the characters. And I liked the story line which was inspired by 2 recent American Idol contestants' journey together.
Carrie
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Ollie McKenna and Jack Bradley both want to be professional country singers. They meet at Atlanta Idol and there is undeniable energy.

A quick read that is light and energetic. I kept looking for more substance to the characters though. I enjoyed the ending the most, I like probability and the author did a great job of leaving you to finish some of the smaller details yourself.

*Goodreads Giveaway Winner
Jill
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nancy Scrafano has written an adorable book! American Honey is a quick and easy read with a like-able main character (not to mention the title is named after an awesome song). I would, recommend this book to readers of Young Adult and New Adult.
Alexandra Florence
This story was cute, I enjoyed the concept of two singers meeting at a competition, however I felt that something was lacking. I didn't really like the ending and I found Jack annoying, but it was an easy, light-hearted read.
Phoebe Fox
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Such a fun, engaging, vicarious-living lark of a read! A quick, cute, and relatable story of two aspiring singers trying to find their way to each other--and their dreams.
Anna Elizabeth
  • Heartbreak Cake
  • Merry & Bright
  • Zoey & the Moment of Zen
  • The Green Ticket
  • Retrieved (The Shapeshifters' Library #2)
  • A State of Jane
  • All Inclusive
  • Love at 11
  • Promises to Keep
  • Reckless Abandon (Shaw McLeary Mystery #1)
  • The Holdout
  • Elly In Love (The Elly in Bloom #2)
  • Won't Last Long
  • When Girlfriends Make Choices (When Girlfriends, #3)
  • Juliet's Answer: One Man's Search for Love and the Elusive Cure for Heartbreak
  • What Happens To Men When They Move To Manhattan?
  • Spun (Spin, #2)
Nancy Scrofano fell in love with romantic novels when she read the Sweet Valley High Senior Year series in high school. After college, she worked at an academic publisher where she formed a book club with her coworkers and delved into the wonderful world of Chick Lit. While in graduate school, Nancy wrote her debut novel, True Love Way. She is also the author of American Honey, novelette Cupid On ...more