Start by marking “The Last American Vampire (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Last American Vampire (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, #2)

The Last American Vampire

(Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter #2)

New York Times bestselling author Seth Grahame-Smith returns with the follow-up to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter--a sweeping, alternate history of 20th Century America as seen through the eyes of vampire Henry Sturges.

THE LAST AMERICAN VAMPIRE

In Reconstruction-era America, vampire Henry Sturges is searching for renewed purpose in the wake of his friend Abraham Lincoln's
Published January 13th 2015 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Last American Vampire, please sign up.
Carrie ♠ I already read the first book, am I am currently listening to the audiobook (I didn't know at first it was a Number 2). I would say better to read the…moreI already read the first book, am I am currently listening to the audiobook (I didn't know at first it was a Number 2). I would say better to read the first book, as there could be some spoilers. I think it would also flow better.

Borrow book #1 from a library if you don't want to go out/can't buy the first one. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tori Without spoiling the book, please go ahead and read it. Some twists and turns happen and not everything is as it seems.

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
The Last American Vampire is the sequel to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, a book that I haven't read (yet). In this book, we follow Henry Sturges through the centuries. He has seen it all he has seen America throughout the centuries becoming the land it is today. He has traveled to his homeland England for the first time since he became a vampire. He has met many quite famous men like; Bram Stocker, James Irving, Arthur Conan Doyle, Mark Twain, Nikola Tesla, Teddy Roosevelt, Rasputin, Eliot Ne ...more
Rebecca McNutt
I've never been much of a vampire fan (many vampire-themed books I've read are very gory and formulaic without much to make them unique), but The Last American Vampire, a sequel to another book I've yet to read, has an edge that really makes it stand out - historical fiction set in the 20th century, a seemingly more simplistic time that evokes nostalgia even though I was never there. Henry Sturges is the Forrest Gump of vampires, appearing in numerous significant events and bringing readers alon ...more
TL
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to TL by: the first book
First read: January 24-27th 2015
Re-read via audiobook: December 28th 2015-sometime in January 2016

Narrator: Five stars
Story: Four Stars
-----
Original review: (changes/edits) have asterisk by them
Welcome to the story of Henry Sturges :)

---
This was a really good but sometimes tedious book. Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing into Henry's life, getting insights into his head and seeing all the things he has done past and present. The list of historical figures that came through was impressive and f
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
1/13/15: Now Available!

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4 Stars!

This book first came to my attention because of the cover which I absolutely love. I really enjoyed reading this book. I found some sections of the book were amazingly good while other sections seemed a bit tedious for me. Overall, I liked it and found it to be a worthwhile read. This is the first book by Seth Grahame-Smith that I have had a chance to read and while this is listed as a follow up book to Abraham
Char
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, vampires
I listened to this on audio. It was a fun historical fiction story punctuated by gory vampire fights and famous characters of the times like Mark Twain, Sir Conan Doyle and Nikola Tesla.
Fast paced and fun. Recommended!
Char
The Last American Vampire (audio) I listened to this on audio.

It was a fun historical fiction story punctuated by gory vampire fights and famous characters of the times like Mark Twain, Sir Conan Doyle and Nikola Tesla. Fast paced and fun.

Recommended!
Cody
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Last American Vampire by Seth Grahame-Smith is one of those quasi-historical alternative world geek trips that cannot be taken seriously. Following the story of Henry Sturges, the reader witnesses the world from the mid 1500's to the turn of the 21st century through the vampire lens of Sturges as he participates in many of the more famous events from this time period. Turning the last page of the book there's a feeling of -what was the whole point of the book-?

Most of the events Struges witn
Latasha
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
omg I freakin loved this book! Henry, please marry me!! the story was great and the characters were out of this world. my favorite part is when he meets Tesla and Twain. omg they were great!!yes, yes. you should read this book!
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
Abe and Henry

In this spin-off of the author's "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter", we get to see the life of Henry Sturges up to the current day. Henry was the vampire that taught Abe to fight the bad vampires.

Think of this as a vampire version of Forest Gump.
Miley

We see Henry before vampirism, and then throughout history as he interacts with the historic figures and events. And of course these events often had evil vampires involved either directly or pulling the strings.
sturges

You'll hear the story of the mysterious R
Crowinator
To be fair, Seth Grahame-Smith can write. I wish he'd use his talents on something else, something less gimmicky, but those who enjoyed Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter (the book, not the movie) will probably enjoy this too. It's memorably gross, in a novel way (at one point, vampire Henry smokes a cigar and exhales through the ripped out throat of a victim so that it comes out of the victim's nostrils; at another, he reminisces about popping off vertebra of a victim like champagne corks; some Kl ...more
Gram
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book and solve the mystery of the disappearance of the Roanoke settlers; discover the identity of Jack The Ripper; how Rasputin really died; Howard Hughes deadly secret; the truth behind the assassination of JFK - and much more! Then, throw in more gore than Leatherface could let out with a zillion chainsaws! Terrific fun!
Devann
I did have a few bones to pick with this book - mainly centered around how it largely fails to deal with either race or gender on what is basically a trip through Dead White Dudes of the Past Several Hundred Years - but for once I was actually able to 'get past' that for the most part and rate it five stars because it was just so ridiculously fun.

You definitely have to take all the events here with more than a few grains of salt - as is true with most 'historical' fiction but Henry is an unexpe
Albert
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Last American Vampire by Seth Grahame-Smith is one of those rare sequels that outdoes the original in both scope and vision. The first book is of course Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter which is not as ridiculous as it sounds and far better than the movie that was made from it.

This second novel begins soon after the first has ended, with the assassination of President Lincoln. His friend, and vampire, Henry Sturges filled with grief and not seeing how this young nation could continue forward
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I am a fan of Seth Grahame-Smith. I enjoyed Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter so much that I went on to read his first book, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. My favorite of his books is Unholy Night, his story of the three wise men. What I enjoy most is that on one level he stays very true to history, or text, and then weaves in a purely fictional story with vampires or zombies. The readers of his books willingly suspend disbelief making these books a fun read. These books make me feel like I am pa ...more
Erin
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

Every reader I know has a guilty pleasure and I am no exception. Some like steamy romances, others favor straight-up erotica, but I myself gravitate to steampunk and paranormal fiction which is how I discovered Seth Grahame-Smith back in 2010. I'd just reread Pride and Prejudice and feeling game for a laugh, I decided to follow it up with Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Honestly I found the book amusing, but I wasn't overly
Christine
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
In 1587 the Colony of Roanoake was established and just as quickly disappeared, seemingly without a trace. To this day no explanations of what happened to those 115 colonists has been uncovered. In the fall of 1888 “Jack the Ripper” terrorized the WhiteChapel district of London with his string of murders. Just as suddenly the murders stopped and no one knows who Saucy Jack might have been or why the murders so suddenly ended. In 1897 Bram Stoker introduced the world to Count Dracula, a vampire. ...more
Tressa
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hillary Pincus
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I didn't watch "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" but I saw the movie (yes, yes I know. Shame, shame.) The main character in The Last American Vampire is Lincoln's vampire partner in crime, Henry Burgess.
The story follows Henry just after Lincoln's assassination, through White Chapel, to Russia and hunting down Rasputin, tasked with eliminating Adolf Hitler, the crash of the Hindenberg, WWI, WWII, and the assassination of John F. Kennedy (in no particular order). During these adventures there are
Badseedgirl
This was even better than the first book in the series. Henry Sturges is fleshed out much more in this book. In making him the main character, Mr. Grahame-Smith open up over 400 years of history to flounce around in. And My does Henry flounce. Apparently vampires, and Henry Sturges in particular, had a finger in almost all major events in history.

I didn't think I would, but I'm actually looking forward to the next book I the series.
Abby
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5

Forrest Gump with vampires! Our main character Henry goes through years of American history meeting many important figures. Years of killing people under the rule of various presidents, including Rasputin and Hitler. One thing that really frustrated me about this book was that it kept flipping between first and third person viewpoints, both representing the same person. Maybe it was written different, but it was extremely annoying on audiobook.
Elisha Condie
Jan 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bleh
It kind of pains me to give one of Seth Grahame-Smith's books one star. Because I really liked his other books. And I've thought about it for a few days and I think what was missing from this book was it's human center - in the other books we had Abraham Lincoln, the Bennett sisters, or the Holy Family.

This book is all about Henry Sturges, that guy who taught ol' Abe about vampire hunting. This book follows his whole history and it can be summed up as: Bad guy you think is dead ISN'T! And muc
Marc-Antoine
I haven't had this much fun reading a book since, well, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Which is fitting since this is the sequel.
Cupcakes & Machetes
History buffs and historical fiction nerds will adore.

“But that’s the wonderful thing about being a vampire. Our hope of Heaven is revoked the moment we’re made. Every subsequent sin is a teardrop in the ocean.”

This is the follow up novel to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. While I had a lot of fun with that novel, this one was even more of a historical thrill ride. Here, we follow Henry Sturges after the death of his friend Lincoln as he trots through important points in history. Beginning with
Dan
Even though this is a sequel to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, the story primarily focuses on Henry Sturges. The vampire who befriended Abraham Lincoln and taught him how to fight vampires in the first book. It follows him through history as he meets a number or people including Bram Stoker, Arthur Conan Doyle, Jack the Ripper, Mark Twain, Teddy Roosevelt, Rasputin, Elliot Ness, Howard Hughes and John F. Kennedy. Although it is a very enjoyable read, I found the first book to be better.
☕️Kimberly
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five reasons to grab your earbuds and listen to The Last American Vampire

I love history and Grahame-Smith weaves vampires into some of the biggest events in history from the folks who disappeared at Roanoke to JFK’s assassination. He takes us to London, with Jack the Ripper and introduces us to Tesla, Edison and Mark Twain. It was riveting from his re-telling of the Hindenburg crash to visiting Teddy Roosevelt in the White House.
The tale is relayed through Henry Sturges the Vampire who hunte
NaTaya Hastings
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book. Honestly, I'm not certain that I didn't like it even more than "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter." One of my favorite things about both of these books is that Smith writes them like history books (complete with footnotes and actual photographs of things like Teddy Roosevelt posing with an elephant he'd just killed and Jack Ruby with his gun jammed into Lee Harvey Oswald's stomach). The facts he uses in his book are so... FACTUAL! I mean, seriously, the only thing keeping a pers ...more
Erin
Mike
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read. I had no idea it was new, I'm usually very behind.

I was impressed with the authors ability to stay true to historical timelines while weaving supernatural events in between.

This could have been titled with "The Adventures of..." as it did read much like a video game plays. Different levels and tackling more and more difficult bosses.

Lots of fun and highly recommended.
Jennifer (the_pumpkin_reads)
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
Despite this being an obviously less than serious book I really found it interesting, and it kept my attention!

I enjoyed Henry Sturges and the kind of Vampire he was and really enjoyed all the interesting bits of history they weaved into his tale.

If there were more in this line I would read them, and have already planned on reading more by this author.

A fast paced book that deserves its four star rating.
Alexis
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: vampire
This book was... I don't even know. There is so much going on it makes it somewhat hard for me to try and think of a cohesive review here. If I had to sum this book up in a sentence it would be, what the bleep did I just read!? This sentence being said in my mind over and over again with increasing emphasis as I went through the book.

I managed to read most of it, though I admit to skimming the last 80 or so pages. However, the only thing that kept me reading was the thought that he honestly coul
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Whitechapel Vampire
  • Vampire Haiku
  • In Time for Christmas (Out of Time, #10.5)
  • Red, White, and Blood (Nathaniel Cade #3)
  • Acquainted With the Night (Acquainted With the Night, #1)
  • I Travel by Night
  • V-Wars: Blood & Fire (Chronicles of the Vampire Wars)
  • The Lesser Dead
  • Lord of the Vampires (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #3)
  • Vampire City
  • Double Dead (Tomes of The Dead, #1)
  • Vampire Stories
  • Vienna Nocturne
  • Mansions of Darkness (Saint-Germain, #9)
  • The Ouroboros Cycle, Book One: A Monster's Coming of Age Story
  • The Twilight of Lake Woebegotten
  • American Vampire, Vol. 7
  • The Scarlet Gospels
Seth Grahame-Smith (born Seth Jared Greenberg) is an American author, screenwriter and film producer. He is best known for his novels Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter which both hit the New York Times' best seller list. Seth Grahame-Smith lives in Los Angeles, California with his wife, Erin, and his son, Joshua.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2 books)
  • Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, #1)
“If you can’t have a little fun when you’re carrying out an assassination, then what’s the point?” 15 likes
“Famous murderers are only famous because they get caught. The best killers are those whose names we shall never know.” 8 likes