Start by marking “The Hero, The Sword and The Dragons (Chronicles of Dragon, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hero, The Sword and The Dragons (Chronicles of Dragon, #1)

The Hero, The Sword and The Dragons

(Chronicles of Dragon #1)

Welcome to the world of NALZAMBOR ...

Nath is a special warrior. He is a man destined to be a dragon. In order to become a dragon, he must save the dragons.

For countless years Nath has been on a quest to become a dragon, but his meddling with the other races tends to get in the way. The way of men is not the way of Nath Dragon his father has warned him. Yet, Nath, unable
Published December 30th 2013 by Two-Ten Book Press (first published February 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Hero, The Sword and The Dragons, please sign up.
Fatima Kotz Yes, it is the first book. I don't know how many in total, but I am excited to read the second! I love it!

Start your review of The Hero, The Sword and The Dragons (Chronicles of Dragon, #1)
Terence
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: freebies
Nath Dragon may look like a man, but he was born a dragon. He's a rare dragon, a great dragon, like his father and grandfather before him. His father and grandfather were born dragons, became men, and had to earn their scales to become dragons once more. Nath is trying to do just that, but has yet to earn a single scale after countless years. So Nath continues to save dragons in hopes to become a great dragon like his father.

The Hero, The Sword, and The Dragons was a really solid story. A light
Cheyenne
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wanted a quick fast read. Boy this was a quick a fast read. I tend to stay away from free books on amazon because some of them turn out to be really bad and this one to me was one of them. For me the biggest reason is the writing style was very simple and didn't drag me in at all. There was no details about anything which made 162 pages very confusing. I wanted to know this history of the story and why something is in first chapter don't tell high paced scene and leave left behind confused ...more
Alida
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. I am going to find and read all the books in this set. Craig you may have written this series for kids but I love this set. Oh by the way I am an adult. Thank you for your books.

What a great story. I can not wait to read the next book. You may have written these books for the young readers, but I am an adult and I love your book. Thank you
Eldarwen
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
The book had its moments and some of the descriptions were quite nicely written but I often felt as though far too much of the story had been omitted for this to be a well-flowing piece. Besides, the main character felt under-developed.

There could have been so much more to this story. Sadly, it felt more like a first draft than a fully-fledged novel.

Michelle
Aug 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
(originally posted on The Writing Hufflepuff)

I didn’t know anything about this when I downloaded it (come on it was free on Amazon how could I not give it a shot) except DRAGONS. I love dragons, but I haven’t read that many dragon books let alone good ones (maybe it’s really time to give Eragon a try but those books are HUGE. And COMMITMENT. GAH). As you can tell from my rating, this one wasn’t good either.

The protagonist was unbearable.

''Just do what you always do, Dragon.” That’s what I call
J
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2013, ya
"Egads!"
Aimed at younger readers this novella builds the setting for a series of pieces centered around a brash young hero type named Nath Dragon.

Surprisingly the 8th published work by Halloran. This work could have used an extra pass or three of proof reading and editing, as the typographical errors and the writing style oddities are fairly consistent throughout. Overall the novella comes off feeling amateur and untouched by a professional editor.

Ideal for children who are not advanced in their
Zac
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was written as if the main characters were the members of a roleplaying game, which lead to classic, hot-headed behavior which was aimed toward combat, which begs the question: if the characters have been behaving this way for any extended period of time, why are they not criminals? Why does no one seem to care that everywhere these guys have gone, they've destroyed/killed something? Where are the consequences? The end was intriguing, though I wonder what the author is going to do with ...more
Mikejonez
Sep 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointing
The plot is a bit confusing at times and doesn't make much sense either. I've gotten lost a few times reading and that's saying something lol. Also, It's not the best written book either and I think that really hurts it as well.

The best way I can sum this book up in one sentence - There is a reason why it's free on Amazon.
Conor Engelbrecht
I wanted to like this book. I really, really did. But, unfortunately, it just was not to be. The writing was stilted and uninteresting, the characters flat and cliched, and the plot a mish-mash of overdone tropes.
On the plus side, I liked the idea of a sword that has powers but doesn't reliably let them be used.
Maya
Jul 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this one, but quite frankly - I couldn't find anything about it to like. The formatting wasn't fantastic, the character was quite hate-able, and the story was just plain not interesting.
Serena
Feb 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: free
First book of free book february!

This was an amateur, unedited level introductory novella/short story to the series.

The names were ridiculous. Nash Dragon. His sword's name is Fang. The mountain of doom. There's a whole Thing(TM) of dragons having long, long names, and it's used as a funny thing many times. Someone starts saying Nash's name and they take, like, an hour or so to finish it. I get it's trying to be a fun introductory fantasy with Riordanesque humor, but it just can't live up to it.
Dennis Berry
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Craig Halloran is a self-described family man, and a United States Air Force security police veteran who enjoys writing, working out, watching sports, and fishing. He’s a graduate of West Virginia University. He lives with his wife and son in Charleston West Virginia.

This 20,000-word novella is the first book in his The Chronicles of Dragon series. Though his directed audience is Tweens and teens, the book does contain some violence, so I would recommend that parents preview it for younger
Paige Turner
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read more of my reviews here: https://paigeturnerreads.wordpress.com/

I honestly love novels about dragons and this book did not disappoint me, but was absolutely beautiful. So much so that I’m possibly willing to finish the series, or at least read the second book (There are ten books!). I was sucked into a story of dragons and elves and dwarves and orcs and men that grabbed me by the fingertips until I didn’t even want to pull away.

Nath is the main character with a name that takes hours to
Amber
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't realize this novella was aimed at younger readers (tweens) when I got it but keeping that I mind now I think that it would be a great fantasy book for younger teens.

This is mostly meant to start the series off so the rest of the books will be roughly twice as long according to the author.

The writing style provided more detail then I expected from a tween novel to be honest and I can definitely see someone younger being engrossed in this novella and in future books.

The plot isn't overly
Leah Speller
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is unfortunate that Goodreads does not list the omnibus for that is how I read these as one large book. So that is how I will be offering my feelings of this series.

First of I will say that book one is obviously a novella. Having said that it does what it was intending to do and that is introduce you to this marvelous world the Craig has made and an idea of what was wrong with it.

I had read in some of the other critiques that these books were meant for young adults I honestly enjoyed them.
Dorothy Brandes
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Nice Appetizer

This short novella, for lack of a better name, was just what I said, a tasty appetizer that just give the fantasy lover a delicious bite that makes one long for more, especially if you like heroes battling with orcs and other evil dwellers of fantasy realms, not to mention feisty dwarves, graceful elves and dragons with scales sparkling with all the colors of their jewelry laden lairs. This fast-moving adventures of a man-Dragon trying to earn his scales that would make him a
Bob
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very good novella with a unique concept - a dragon species dedicated to good, looking out for mankind and dragonkind particularly and all fable creatures in general.

Nash is the son of the Master Dragon over All.

Another unique concept - he was born in human form and must earn his dragon scales. He has been on a quest to earn his scales for 200 years. So far he has ..... zero scales.

You'll not get a spoiler out of me on this one.

I'm always on the lookout for stories to encourage my grandson to
Michael Wood
Pretty good fantasy start

In this, the first if a promised new series, author Craig Halloran introduces us to a young dragon who can transform into the appearance of a human man. Sort of a were-human, since he is, after all, really a dragon. A dragon who is often in trouble for disobeying his father. And his father is not just ANY dragon.
A few pages at the start are not so exciting, but as Halloran hits his stride, the book becomes very interesting. Characters are just a little flat, but who
Linda Barnett
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Simplistic, readable, typos might become annoying, but it does have a little bit of an interesting take on good and evil that warns our hero, Nath Dragon, not to kill the bad guys, Orks, Trolls, Gnolls, etc. unless it's absolutely necessary to protect his, or someone else's life. He is to let evil take care of it's self and only strive to protect dragons, or anyone, who can't protect themselves, only scaring the bad guys away, or wounding them if necessary.

With better writing it could make for
Kathy Williams
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Talk about a book with a flawed hero...from page 1 the protagonist is dealing with his inner demons, unsure if he really even wants to fight them, while looking for his outer dragon. The theme seems to be one cannot serve two masters. The author promises a fantasy book written in simple and direct style easy enough for a pre-teen to grab onto, but if the rest of the series follows the introduction we will actually get a stark mirror showing our very human joys and failings with no flowery ...more
Heather Wilson
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was immediately drawn into the action of this story. I found myself chuckling often and absolutely enjoyed the humor incorporated into the story. I fell into the world of the story - which is vivid, fun, and exciting - quite easily. I quickly liked the main character and cared about what happened to him on his adventures.

I thoroughly enjoyed this and am definitely interested enough to read the next story. I received this at a free or discounted rate in exchange for my honest review.
Carla J.
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good Novella

I chose this rating because just as the story got truly interesting, wham author's note. What I thought was a full length novel turned out to be a teaser for a series of books. I liked the swashbuckling main character Nath Dragon and found his quest to grow scales interesting and humorous. It ended abruptly and left you wanting to throttle the person who failed to mention this was a novella.
Peri
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the book. It was fast-paced, the characters were well-developed for the length of the book, and it set up some interesting story lines for future books. While it's not a highly detailed epic fantasy, it is a good introduction to a new world. I will pick up the next one to see what happens.
Charles
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a pretty enjoyable book. The rating isn't up there because it's a very short novella and the characters and plot haven't really taken off yet. I am intrigued by the descriptions of Nath's father and the other dragons, and hopefully Nath himself will be more interesting in future books. The story leaves you with wanting to know more, so I'm hoping this above-average beginning gets better!
Connie
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very good...author bills series as a series for tweens which I am always on the lookout for....actually this one is a novella to whet the reader's appetite...which worked as I had to get the next one in the series and now want to find it in hardcover to add to our school library
Melanie
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
More of a small introduction to the world than an big, involved story. Liked it well enough as a free Kindle series (lending library). Was helped immensely by picturing Nath using The Hound's voice from the GoT show. That voice is perfect for this character.
Jeff
Aug 05, 2014 added it
Not terribly well written but there is definite potential in this author. This series is geared toward tween and teens and it is almost as though the writer takes some cues from kids. More editing and a few revisions would serve him well.
Jan
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read love the comradeship of Nath & his dwarf pals. Finished first set of kindle books now on 2nd set. Would love yo see a picture of him with his black scales
Minecraftmaniac77
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Awesome!

I love this book it was so well written and I love the plot to! It can make a connection to The Lord of the Rings.
KATHY
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Hero, The Sword and The Dragons : Book 1

This was an interesting story and I really liked the main character, Nath Dragon. Even though his father is an enormous full fledged red colored dragon and lives at the top of the Mountain of Doom, Nath still has no scales to show he is his fathers son. Nath is more human then anything else, at the beginning of the story. His father will not tell Nath, if his mother was human. But yeah you can tell! Nath Dragon is a hunter who searches for dragon
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Magic of Thieves (Legends of Dimmingwood, #1)
  • Never Die
  • Gauntlgrym (Forgotten Realms: Neverwinter, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #20)
  • The Ghost King (Forgotten Realms: Transitions, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #19)
  • The Pirate King (Forgotten Realms: Transitions, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #18)
  • Blood of Requiem (Song of Dragons, #1)
  • Victory and Defeat (The Restoration Series, #5)
  • Iron Maiden Legacy of the Beast Volume 1
  • Weaponsmith (Weaponsmith Chronicles Book 1)
  • Dispel Illusion (Impossible Times, #3)
  • Rebel Raider
  • Into the Wastelands (The Restoration Series, #4)
  • Edwin
  • The Black Irix (Paladins of Shannara, #3)
  • The Weapons Master's Choice (Paladins of Shannara, #2)
  • Song of the Dwarves
  • Into the Storm (Malcontents, #1)
  • Allanon's Quest (Paladins of Shannara, #1)
I'm a writer. I do it every single day. Reading everyday is a big plus too. Writing is a business and an outlet of creativity to me. I love TV, but you don't create jack squat by sitting around and watching it.

Currently I have over 70 books out and 7 complete series that include, The Darkslayer (6 books), The Darkslayer Series 2 (10 books), The Chronicles of Dragon (10 books), Tail of the Dragons

Chronicles of Dragon (10 books)
  • Dragon Bones and Tombstones (Chronicles of Dragon, #2)
  • Terror at the Temple (Chronicles of Dragon, #3)
  • Clutch of the Cleric (Chronicles of Dragon, #4)
  • Hunt for the Hero (Chronicles of Dragon, #5)
  • Siege at the Settlements (Chronicles of Dragon, #6)
  • Strife in the Sky (Chronicles of Dragon, #7)
  • Fight and the Fury (Chronicles of Dragon, #8)
  • War in the Winds (Chronicles of Dragon, #9)
  • Finale (Chronicles of Dragon, #10)
“For every life you take, you must save another or more. It does not matter if they are good or evil; who can really tell? There is good in everything, evil as well ….” 6 likes
“Every day mattered to them. Each one was new, never the same, filled with new adventures over every horizon. Men, good and bad, knew how to live. I” 1 likes