Start by marking “Darkest Before Dawn (KGI, #10)” as Want to Read:
Darkest Before Dawn (KGI, #10)

Darkest Before Dawn (KGI #10)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  4,351 Ratings  ·  548 Reviews
THE ALL-NEW KGI NOVEL from the “incredibly awesome" (Jaci Burton) #1 New York Times bestselling author of When Day Breaks.

The Kelly Group International (KGI):
A super-elite, top secret, family-run business.
Qualifications: High intelligence, rock-hard body, military background.
Mission: Hostage/kidnap victim recovery. Intelligence gathering. Handling jobs the U.S. government
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published October 27th 2015 by Penguin Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Darkest Before Dawn, please sign up.

Melissa Wolf The enigmatic Hancock has been both opponent and ally to the KGI teams for as long as they've known him. Always working a deep game, Hancock's true…moreThe enigmatic Hancock has been both opponent and ally to the KGI teams for as long as they've known him. Always working a deep game, Hancock's true allegiance has never been apparent, but one thing is for certain—he never lets anything get in the way of duty. (copied from amazon)(less)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
1 Pissed Off Stars

photo 737550_zpskiy3tktl.gif

Oh there will be spoilers and lots of gifs!!

I am so pissed and disappointed right now! I have waited forever for my beloved Hancock's story. His story had such potential. My Hancock, the super soldier, cold, hard, but good and redeemable under it all. That is not what I got here. See that is the problem when you love a character so much and you wait for their book, sometimes it doesn't live up to your expectations. Well this book didn't just let me down, it blew my dreams of
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
2 Stars
I've been such a huge fan of Maya Banks, but I'm finding that most of her recent releases have been slightly less than lackluster for me lately. While I loved the first five books in the KGI series, since book six it's been taking a significant decline for me. The story lines are just OTT out there, the characters not quite what they used to be. But still I was holding out hope for Hancock to finally bring this series back to what it used to be. I've been eagerly anticipating his book for
Shawna
Jan 10, 2014 Shawna rated it it was ok
Shelves: author-maya-banks, blah-meh, cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, romantic-suspense, military-romance, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, heroine-i-wanna-bitch-slap-annoying, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, im-a-cover-hottie-ho, sizable-packages, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, i-read-library, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, captive-kidnapped-hostage-slave, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, series-kelly-kgi, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, exotic-wild-settings-survivor-lovin, cheez-need-some-wine-please, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, hh-warrior, star-crossed-lovers, steam-3-hot, hero-brooding, hh-love-commitment-marriage-phobic, rt-book-reviews-4-stars, hh-spy-agent-for-crown-and-country, hero-military-war-veteran, hh-resist-cause-im-no-good-for-you, heroine-doormat-spineless-weak, hh-on-the-run-in-hiding, heroine-good-girl-nice, badass-kickass-motha-fucka, action-packed, violence-reader-discretion-advised, villain-uber-bad-nasty, heroine-i-hated-nearly-ruined-book, hero-alpha, hero-dark-scary-cool-dangerous-dude, all-work-no-play-on-the-job-romance, betrayal-is-such-a-bitter-pill, mafia-mob-organized-crime-cartel, hh-story-distracted-from-romance, hh-couple-romance-blah-meh, audiobook, i-read-listened-to-audiobook, hh-insta-lust-love, audiobook-narrator-okay, audiobook-narrator-annoying, heroine-good-kind-nice-sweet, human-sex-slave-trafficking-slavery, story-repetitive-too-much-filler, story-boring-dragged-yawn, 2stars-to-3-stars, hero-just-get-over-yourself, story-plot-jumbled, hh-save-the-drama-for-yo-mama, hh-story-angst-drama-galore, hh-story-soap-opera-melodrama, hero-broody-gruff-serious-moody, 2015-reads, format-audiobook, format-source-library, hh-undercover, hero-disappointing-frustrating, heroine-disappointing-frustrating, hh-couple-disappointing-frustrating, hero-enigmatic-mysterious
2 stars – Romantic Suspense

This was repetitive, cheesy, over-the-top melodramatic, slow, and borderline ridiculous at times. I didn't really care much for the hero or heroine or their romance.

I've been underwhelmed with the last couple of books in this series and with the books in her Breathless Trilogy, Surrender Trilogy, and especially the Slow Burn series. I really hope the next Kelly/KGI book will be better.
Jacqueline's Reads
Aug 06, 2015 Jacqueline's Reads rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
3.5 Protecting at All Cost Stars

Darkest Before Dawn is a standalone and is part of the KGI series. I love Maya Banks. She’s one of the first authors I discovered when I adventured to **cough** smut reading. I mean, New Adult / Contemporary reading.

What can I say? She has a way in creating different characters and addictive stories.

This is my first KGI book. I’ve heard so many great things about this series and I LOVE action pack novels. You throw in a sexy Hero, well I’m a happy gal.

I didn’t r
Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog)
♥~♥Geri Reads ♥~♥
I'm setting this one aside for a moment. It's not doing anything for me at all.
PLerman
Oct 22, 2014 PLerman marked it as to-read
Shelves: igi
OMG! I am so excited for Hancocks story, I feel like it is going to be a good one, but I also really wanted Sean and Rusty! Cant decide which one I want more.
✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰

description

Honor is a relief worker in some arabian war-zone.
When her clinic is being bombed, she's the only survivor, and the bad guys are hunting her.
She escapes, only to be caught/rescued by Hancock.
We all met him in the KGI books before - he's trying to find this huge russian gangster, the one who killed his foster mom.

And to lure him closer, he has to have Honor - she's his last chance to get revenge.
But the longer he's close to her - the harder it will be to let her go...

What will happen to Honor &am
CC
Huh - well after the last total disaster in the series, I was pleased this was not a total train wreck.

There were still some repetition issues, but not nearly as bad as the last book.

The problem I had with this one was the relationship. Hancock was not committed until the end and then he wussed out. Honor had to "man up" because he was incapable. Separations do not make me happy. Especially when the heroine has to make the move to get them back together and extricate Hancock's head from his ass.
Vashti
Sep 30, 2015 Vashti rated it really liked it
What would you do for the greater good of man? Would you sacrifice one for hundreds or even thousands.What if that one person that you would willingly sacrifice never in their entire life hurt a human life,but instead did everything to ease the plight of human suffering. What if you have strong feelings for said person...there are a lot of what if's,and I for one would have a hard time deciding ,a hard choice to be sure.
This is book#10 in the KGI series of romantic suspense by Maya Banks and it
Shari
Aug 25, 2015 Shari rated it did not like it

This review was originally posted on Delighted Reader

The hero Hancock has been in past books in the series. Me, well, I forgot who or what he was and while he is  the hero, it didn't cause too many problems not remembering him. Since I didn't really like him, it was something I didn't even cry over or go back to find out who he was. I just didn't care.

Hancock and is former Titan team have been after their villain for years. The last two times they have gotten close, they chose to save an innoc
Elfina Renee
Jul 11, 2014 Elfina Renee rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
 photo Slide1_70.gif
Damn Maya Banks never fails to deliver! This was the perfect book for the right mood. Something different with a shit ton of action, excitement and panty watering thrills. Be still my thundering heart as badass Hancock sets out on a mission. Yes he'll take a prisoner, sacrifice the little lost lamb for the good of the many. Honor thinks he's salvation sent on a daring rescue mission but he has other plans and they don't involve getting her home!
 photo Slide1_38.gif
Excellent...excellent read, had some minor hiccu
Danija
Sep 10, 2015 Danija rated it did not like it

In the popular series about the super-elite, top secret, family-run business that is the Kelly Group International (KGI), Darkest Before Dawn is the tenth book, but no worries, it can be read as a standalone. It's one of those installments that don't center around a member of the KGI, but rather a man who's been, as far as I could see, kind of frenemies with the KGI, Guy Hancock. Fans of the previous books will be happy to know the previous characters make an appearance here as well to play an i
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
Three stars is probably being a bit generous - more like 2.5 stars because I do love Hancock the thorn in the side of our KGI boys. But parts of this plotline were just ridiculous (view spoiler) ...more
Michelle
ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

photo 03b5cb014947aa708df9539c96ffc6_zpsoevslqyy.gif

Darkest Before Dawn by Maya Banks is a heart-pounding thriller suspense that takes place in a war torn country in the Middle East. Honor is a relief worker working in a clinic that happened to be attacked and bombed by a terrorist militant network. Injured, hungry and alone Honor tries her best to escape the men who are hunting her down but she doesn't get far. Hancock and his men have been assigned to rescue and retrieve Honor from a mi
Lani ⚔⚔  the Destroyer ⚔⚔
I can't believe I am rating a KGI book just 2 stars, but there it is. I don't want to write a scathing review because I'd much rather move on to reading something far more enjoyable so I will point out a few of my issues.

I found the first 30% really hard to get into. The monologue from Hancock about how bad he was and the horrible torture Honor was going to endure when he gave her up to the terrorists was incredibly repetitive and loooooong. I didn't buy their connection, their first time (sex)
Auntee
Jul 19, 2016 Auntee rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Only to fans of this series
My thoughts about this book are all over the place...

I loved the first 100 pages or so. I so admired the heroine (Honor) and all that she did to survive. I was pulling for her, I was with her every step of the way. Even when she met up with the (anti)hero (Hancock). (This guy would fit right into Anne Stuart's Ice series...) I knew what he planned for her, but I still had hope that there would be a way out for Honor...

I knew Hancock had some questionable morals/ethics, I knew his whole "sacrific
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Autry's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Hancock and Honor was both tough as nails, and brave enough to forge ahead in war torn countries for the greater good of the people. One has an outpouring of support for people in need and willing to risk her life to provide aid. The other is willing to jump out of airplanes and drive for days on end for a mission. Sympathy has no place in Hancock’s life; emotions allow things to get messy and complicated, screwing up his missions, risking hi
AH
This is a DNF (did not finish) review. I read through to 42% and this book is not for me.

Why?

- I did not like the hero Hancock- Here we have a big bruiser of a military man, all muscle, all business. He rescues his damsel in distress (although she is really badass) only to constantly think about turning her over to the bad guys for the greater good. At first the book reminded me of the TV series American Odyssey, but too much time was spent in the hero's head. Men do not think that way. They c
Dee
I never really wanted to read Hancock's story as his ethics followed a very fine line but decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and dived in. The first half of the book was gripping and very emotional but then Honor started getting on my nerves with her repetative lines telling Hancock she forgave him and she was willing to sacrifice herself for the greater good - it all turned cheesy and boring.

I wanted to rate it higher than the 3 stars but unfortunately it just didn't deserve it. On th
Keri
I didn't feel that the domination factor was really needed there at the end. It didn't really feel organic to the book. Maybe it is really time for me to let this series go for reelz.
Julie
Aug 28, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
It was just suppose to be a simple assignment. No attachments. Just a cut and dry objective. Then Hancock met Honor and everything he thought he knew….everything about his beliefs were tested.

Working in a war zone is never easy. Heartache and death surround your every move. For Honor - it is her dedication to the clinic she works in that drives her to surround herself in danger. Then her will to live is tested. Militants bomb the clinic, leaving Honor as the sole survivor buried in the rubble.
Mskychick
Aug 18, 2015 Mskychick rated it liked it
Shelves: ff
3-1/2 stars. Overall, I enjoyed the story.
I have some reservations, though. Honor is over-the-top good, way too sweet and forgiving to be believable. Hancock is, conversely, over-the-top dark.
And this book would be better with some heavier editing. There was a lot of ruminating by the characters about the same thing. Over and over again. Pages long, only to be repeated again a few chapters later. Issues were too belabored to be enjoyable.
I did enjoy this book much more than the last KGI books
LizBookAddict
Nov 03, 2014 LizBookAddict marked it as to-read
Finally... Finally Hancock's book....
Malinda
3-3.5 stars

This was a good story overall. I will note that the first half seemed well written but a bit dull and wordy. The last half was much better and made it worth getting through the first part. I liked Honor and Hancock...well, he grew on me.

Honor is a brave young woman. She is the youngest of her siblings and part of a warm and loving family. Honor knew early that she wanted to help people and started using her ability with languages to learn many middle eastern languages and dialects. H
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Darkest before Dawn reels me right back into this series. Some of these books are hit or miss for me. This one is a hit, straight into the heart. I cried near the end of this book. I am touched and moved to tears because of the main character, Honor. Honor is one of those people who are too good to be true. She is truly someone who wants to serve and do better for the world. Instead of bemoaning and bitching about the horrors, she wants to make a difference. She isn't a flighty idealistic child. ...more
Stephanie  G
Oct 29, 2015 Stephanie G rated it it was amazing
Hancock’s belief in his ultimate goal is being challenged by his perplexing feelings for the beautiful victim he needs to sacrifice for “the greater good” in this gripping contemporary romance.

Honor’s mission is to help the ravaged people in the war torn countries but this time her mission has landed her up a creek and with very few options and the reader can’t help but get caught up in the story as Hancock and Honor’s missions collide. The chemistry between Honor and Hancock sizzles with steamy
Nicole
Nov 01, 2015 Nicole rated it did not like it
Ugg, I have so many negative feels about this book, I don't even know where to start.

The heroine was such a badass the first half of this book, then she got a personality transplant and turned into a total doormat.
Hancock didn't just toe the line of being an Alphahole. No, he saw the line and blew past it in his jet, with a first class ticket to doucheland. There was nothing redeemable about him in this book. NOTHING
Their relationship was so BLAH, and the way they finally reconnected just pisse
Tammy  Zautner
Oct 06, 2015 Tammy Zautner rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I utterly adored the hell out of Guy Hancock.

Maya stayed true to the detached, cold blooded, mechanical soldier we’d met in previous books. Hancock wasn’t like any other KGI hero she’d written. He definitely wouldn’t win any awards for flowery words, devotion, or adoration. Instead, he was often a complete and total… “bleep.” But if you dare to explore deeper, you’d find an underlying layer of compassion and vulnerability, which is why he was always at war with himself. For me, it was
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
Honor and Hancock's story is thrilling, dramatic, full of action and full of internal conflict.

At first, I had my qualms about reading this book because I haven't read some of the most recent books in the KGI series. However, once I dove in, it became clear that it wouldn't be that big of a problem. Coming from the point of view of a reader who hasn't read many of the other books in the KGI series, I must admit that this book gives out a lot of information about Hancock's past. It won't let you
  • Wicked for You (Wicked Lovers, #10)
  • Wait Until Dark (The Night Stalkers, #4)
  • Too Hard to Handle (Black Knights Inc., #8)
  • Edge of Danger (Deadly Ops, #4)
  • You Only Love Twice (Masters and Mercenaries, #8)
  • What a Lady Most Desires (Temberlay, #3)
  • Happily Bedded Bliss (The Rakes of Cavendish Square, #2)
  • On the Run (Sugarland Blue, #4)
  • Nauti Seductress (Nauti, #8; Nauti Girls, #4)
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
  • Striking Distance (I-Team, #6)
  • Take Me, Cowboy (Copper Ridge: Desire #1)
  • The Dark Knight (Montagues, #4)
  • The SEAL's Second Chance (Alpha Ops, #3)
  • At the Edge (Alpha Crew, #1)
  • Desperate Hearts
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • Kiss and Tell (T-FLAC, #2)
Maya Banks is the #1 New York Times, #1 USA Today and international bestselling author of over 50 novels. A wife and mother of three, she lives in Texas.
More about Maya Banks...

KGI (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Darkest Hour (KGI, #1)
  • No Place to Run (KGI, #2)
  • Hidden Away (KGI, #3)
  • Whispers in the Dark (KGI, #4)
  • Echoes at Dawn (KGI, #5)
  • Shades of Gray (KGI, #6)
  • Forged in Steele (KGI, #7)
  • After the Storm (KGI, #8)
  • When Day Breaks (KGI, #9)
  • Brighter Than the Sun (KGI, #11)

“She’d made it a game. Hide-and-seek, Rambo style. The most epic game of hide-and-seek ever.” 2 likes
“So who wants to go witness the greatest takedown ever known to mankind?” 2 likes