Start by marking “Fractured Steel” as Want to Read:
Fractured Steel

Fractured Steel

(Imperfect Metal #1)

After a bloody tour in Iraq, all Karen Barnes wants is a simple life, surrounded by horses and the mountains of Wyoming. But when a stranger tries boarding a famous horse worth millions at her stable, Karen grows suspicious that the horse has been stolen.

When her worse fears are confirmed and her life is threatened, her instinct for survival kicks in. But things are far wo
Published February 15th 2014 by T.J. Loveless (first published February 13th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Fractured Steel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fractured Steel

Ginny  Gallagher
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Fractured-Steel-Quote-2

Author T.J. Loveless delivers an action packed thrill ride with Fractured Steel.  A female war hero, a horse worth millions, and espionage—those three things alone scream action. Add in a family of psychopaths and international government secrets and you have something that takes you on an emotional roller coaster ride and leaves you exhausted, awe struck, and affected at the end.

Karen Barnes is the main character. She is trying to readjust to civilian life on her late father’s horse farm when
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh my dayz what have I just read and how am I going to review it. Yes that's the thought I had after reading this book and then reading the note from the author.
This is a thoroughly brilliantly well-written story. To say I was gripped is an understatement. There was no way I could guess what was happening next.
When I read that it had horses in it I groaned as I thought it wouldn't hold my attention. I was so so wrong.
This is the story of Karen.... Yes that's all your going to get from me. The
Books&Dreams
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
 photo bookwormsreviewicon.jpg

I was given this book as an ARC for an honest review.
I gave this book 5 stars.
I read this book and needed a few days before I could leave this review.
This is one of those books.

photo WinterNight1.jpg

This is not a love story.
This is a story about survival, and learning to live with the bad things that happen to you in your life.
And that is what Karen has to do, she has been through a tour in Iraq and is now in Wyoming on her dads horse farm that is now hers. She wants the simple life, she needs the simple life. O
Heather
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Heather by: This book was given to me for an honest review by the Author
Shelves: 2014-favs
I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. I have strong opinions on the generalization of PTSD. No two people handle stress and, or terror the same. With many different levels of PTSD I don't believe it ever can be generalized. This book gave a very good insight to the life of a person living with PTSD. This book is not only action packed. But also chalked full of the bravery and strength of one woman's life. Karen's life went from getting over the trauma of her time in Iraq to hell. Going f ...more
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Look at everyone else's rating/review before you consider mine. I'm in the minority here so ignore me. However, I really disliked this book but I think I need to write an actual review & not just ramble. Thus, my worthless opinion must wait. I'll try to do an actual review later this weekend.
Helen Stothard
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How on earth do you review a book like this and do it justice. It's left me with tears in my eyes,and that was before I read the authors notes at the end.

The plot twists and turns so much in this book, and it's as though every twist leaves yet another scar on Karen, both physical and mental. This isn't a romance in any shape or form, truth be told it's one nightmare after another, and in some ways feels so far fetched it's laughable.

The brutality in this book to both humans and horses is appalli
Claudia Harbaugh
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
I was given and ARC of Fractured Steel in exchange for an honest review.

To say I enjoyed Fractured Steel would be inaccurate. One doesn't precisely enjoy watching another human being endure what Karen Barnes endured. "Normal" people (and I use that term loosely) do not get a kick out of witnessing animals in distress and danger. So, no, I did not "enjoy" Fractured Steel; I was enthralled by it, angered by it, captivated by it...in short I was emotionally engaged in the story, along for the rolle
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Karen - one tough woman. Five Alarm - one cool, tough horse. One woman's attempt to get thru everything life throws at her. That is what Fractured Steel was to me. If you want romance, this isn't it, unless a woman figuring out how to love herself and her way back into her life counts . What this book does give the reader is a look at PTSD and anxiety, both of which I can relate to, all while incorporating suspense, mystery, chills and thrills.

This is the book I will recommend to everyone this
Nikki Cullan
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was torn between wanting to give this book 4 stars and 5 stars because I don't particularly care about horses but wasn't able to give 4.5 stars.

However, I give 5 stars because it is an incredible story. It shows the beautiful bond between a woman and her horses and I love how they learn to heal together.

It was intense to hear of all that she had suffered through and I felt the pain and sadness for her and just wanted all the bad to stop and for her to be happy! I cannot wait for the next in t
Magic Within the Pages
Reviewer: Cheryl - Magic Within The Pages

Rating: 5 Stars

This story is the first TJ Loveless novel I've read and I am a fan.

This story was very emotional to say the least. I was on a roller coaster of emotions throughout it all and loved every second.

Karen Barnes is a rancher and horse trainer. She is a retired United States Army Captain and has been dealing with her own issues after trying to return to normal life as a civilian.

One day is all it takes to turn her life upside down and for her
Cheryl
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Rating: 5 Stars

This story is the first TJ Loveless novel I've read and I am a fan.

One day is all it takes to turn her life upside down and for her to go back to struggling with her issues.
Angela
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I got this book by accident. I mean, I was given this book, but I have other reviewers that review for me. Somehow, this one got missed and wasn't assigned. I read the synopsis and decided that it didn't sound too far off from stuff that I normally read. I was just hoping it didn't have any "sneaky" romance in it as I have been fooled by the synopsis of books before. I am SO glad I got to read this book!!

Karen Barnes is a bad ass;
Nicole
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of Fractured Steel in exchange for an honest review.

Wow. Just Wow. There is a strong message in this story. I honestly don't know what to say…

There are bits and pieces that were left out. I was trying to figure out what in the world happened. It was confusing, yet at the same time I didn't want to stop reading. From the very beginning there is action. You don't know what the hell is going to happen next.

Karen was a Captain in the in the Military. Now she takes care of horses,
Angela
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I've read by author T.J Loveless and as a first it was memorable to say the least.

Let me say this first, if you're looking for a happily ever after then you picked the wrong book, cause this aint it.

This is a book about survival. A book about dealing with all the bad things that life deals you with. A book about getting up, dusting yourself off and carrying on. Something that Karen knows to well after a tour of duty in Iraq a decade ago.

Following your gut instincts can so
Trina Meskauskas- harbaugh
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
**************Received this book as an ARC*************

Holy shit where do I even being with this book? I was stressed, confused, mad, sad, happy all in the span of 172 pages!

This book was intense and let me just start by saying Karen was a bad ass bitch! Throughout this book she took one hit after another and although she was damaged a little more with each event she still came out swinging on the other side.

I would not want to be on her bad side that is for sure.

This book was a story about he
Ashley
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book will take you on an emotional roller coaster as you see the world through the eyes of Karen Barnes - horse trainer, a war veteran, survivor.

We find out during the prologue that Karen is dealing with demons and the demons appear to be winning. From an early age, Karen was taught survival skills while growing up on a horse farm. She continued her survival skills while with the military and fighting in combat. Karen came back wounded, physically and mentally.

Now Karen is learning there
Anny hernandez
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
***** I receive an ARC copy for an exchange of an honest review *****

First let me just say that this is the first book that I read from this author.

Oh HOLY SMOKE I just read this book, and I have to say I don't know what I was getting my self into when I stared to read it. I love it and love the characters, this book is full of action, love it the way the author wrote this book, I am gone keep it short cause I don't want to give anything away. All I could say is that this is one book that will h
Jen Wildner
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
First off I have never read anything like this; it was totally out of my realm of reading. When I first started it I was little hesitant, thinking there was no way I was going to like it. But I gave it a chance and oh my freaking gawd! I am so glad I did, after about 2 chapters I was sucked in..there is no other way to explain it. All of my first thoughts were pushed aside and I was just in total awe. This story is so heart wrenching and emotional, but beautiful at the same time. I’m not quite s ...more
The Color of Ink
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For those of your that just skim the reviews let me just start off by saying I loved this book. The author put great effort into this book and it shows with every turn of the page. I’m so glad I was given the chance to read such a great story.

With that said and out of the way for the skimmers… Holy smokes! I loved the story but didn't enjoy some of the content. That doesn't mean it wasn't a great story, because it certainly was. The pain and suffering, both physical and mental, on the people in
Paper
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
This review is possibly slightly spoiler-ish.

It looks like I'm in the minority here. This book started off great, but it just ended up becoming ridiculous about halfway through. I understand that fiction is about suspending belief, but I struggled to do so while reading this.

The main hero recovers from physical injuries like a superhero, and I found her personality hard to like. She will basically shoot an innocent guy just for ignoring her question. Okay?!

I struggled to find the climax in the b
Theresa
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
***ARC for Review***

WOW!!!! JUST WOW!!!
What just happened? I'm left speechless and just exhausted! I'm a blogger of romance and smut books so I assumed this was within my genre and I'll confess I didn't read the blurb before I started the book like I usually do and I'm glad I didn't because I probably wouldn't have read it. BUT IM SOOOOOO GLAD I DID! It was a nice break from my Romance HEA's.

Karen Barnes is my Hero. I can't even touch on what she went through in this book. As a sufferer of PTSD
R.M. Alexander
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fractured Steel is a heart wrenching read through one woman's journey through not only horrendous situations, but also the process of healing.

It is the story of Karen, horse lover and Iraq war soldier who has retreated to her out of the way ranch to heal from the atrocities of war. But it's that very seclusion that leaves her vulnerable to a crew of men intent on not only kidnapping the beloved championship horse Five Alarm, but Karen as well, since she is the only one who can manage the temper
Stefani
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reviewing for a blog tour on I read books.

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review during the Fractured Steel Blog Tour.

I love suspense books and OMG the suspense in this one...I was speechless and surprised many times while reading this book. That's a good thing. I love to get the unexpected in a book. The author delivered on all the levels for me. I even learnt new words (English is not my mother tongue). That's always awesome. And I learnt lots of things about horses t
Hooked On Books
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fractured Steel is a heartbreaking story about a woman named Karen who is put through one nightmare after another. She is living on a ranch in Wyoming and trying to forget about the war she returned from, she is faced with the battle for her life.

She is kidnapped, tortured, sodomized, and force to watch many people and animals murdered in front of her.

Every chapter has you on the edge of your seat with your heart in your throat. It is almost unbearable to read about the things that happen to thi
Tami czenkus
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tami by: Jennifer Ingman
For all the Darkness we see in ourselves, Someone is there seeing the light!!
I was floored while reading this book. I connected to Karen on several levels. No i was not involved in espionage or the military, but i felt her guilt and pain throughout the entire book. T.J Loveless is my hero!! To be able to touch me on the most intimate soulful level this book touched me and tought me more than i would have thought! Regardless of what happened to Karen she found her way out of the dark from 4 legge
Hot Romance Novel
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tears streamed down my face. Pain literally hurt my heart. Joy spread through me and I wanted to keep cheering Karen on! I was more than surprised by this story. It was so intense and extremely breath taking. Thank you TJ for touching on a serious, debilitating reaction to trama. It was personally touching and impactful. Many of us will hide behind the doors with lots of locks on it (figuratively and literally). Thank you for bringing Karen to the point of trying to live again! It was unlocking ...more
E.M. LaBonte
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was one of the most 'real' feeling, emotion grabbing, rides I've had in a while. Only a few books make me put them down. Not because it was bad, but because it was that well written. So well written that I felt everything that Karen felt, and could understand and feel what she was going through, before, during and after the horrors. I may not have PTSD, but I can say now, that I understand a little of what those who have it are going through.

The response, fight on, even if each moment
Jenn
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book so much! This book was incredible!! It contained so much emotion that through every page, paragraph, chapter and sentence, I could feel it pouring out of the pages and into my lap.
Karen was an incredible woman! She was amazing, cool and strong. This book and the author did an amazing job at giving people an inside look at PTSD and anxiety.
It contained all the elements that a good book should. It had amazing characters, a great plot line and a well written dialogue. This book
Becca Sellers
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
The fact that this book takes you on an emotional roller coaster is an understatement. The males in my family have traditionally served in the armed forces and my husband did as well, so I am familiar with PTSD, but I have never had to deal with it firsthand. This book brings the issues that those that suffer from PTSD have to the forefront and makes you really feel for those suffering. I have a new found knowledge of the subject and even more compassion for those that suffer from PTSD.

This book
Christina
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has left me speechless, just .. no words at all. I felt with Karen. This book it just ..wow.. lol only one other book has left me this speechless. Living with PTSD is not easy and Karen had A LOT of demons, not knowing the truth, about what your life was and who your family really is. I don't think my review would do this book any justice. T.J. I loved this book, I will hold it dear to my heart. Even though things happened to Karen she tried to fight, but at the same time she got tired ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Tall, Dark and Supernatural: Seven Deliciously Dangerous Heroes of Paranormal Romance
  • Our Own Brand of Heroine
  • An Urchin of Means (Baker Street, #1)
  • The Art Broker
  • The Haunting at Blackwood Hall
  • Altered State
  • A Ghost in the Glamour (A Linx & Bogie story)
  • Outnumbered
  • Shattered Blue
  • Shades of Kink: From Alphas to Masters
  • Secrets in Stone
  • The Tease (Darling Killer Trilogy, #1)
  • Once Upon a Caveman
  • Le Cirque D'Amour (Burlesque! #1)
  • Legend of the Book Keeper (Lost City Chronicles, #1)
  • Mechanical Hearts (Skeleton Key)
  • Tortured Soul
  • Until Death

Imperfect Metal (2 books)
  • Twisted Iron (Imperfect Metal #2)