Start by marking “Post-Human Omnibus” as Want to Read:
Post-Human Omnibus

Post-Human Omnibus

(Post-Human #1-4)

We're living in a time where technology is changing the world at an ever faster pace.

New technologies like artificial intelligence and gene editing are going to change everything, but we don't know what. What will happen when humans can live forever? Or die with just a few keystrokes? How will our governments react as they lose control of their citizens' data? And how do y
Published July 20th 2014 by Post-Human Media LLC (first published January 5th 2014)

Start your review of Post-Human Omnibus
Daniel
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
All four books of this collection are pretty much generic and cheap fodder for the sci-fi omnivore and the further you progress in the series the more it becomes impossible to shake the feeling that this stuff has been hastly thrown together for a quick buck. Throughout all of the four installments Post-Human's protagonists remain one-dimensional, wooden and shallow clichés whose actions are as predictable as author David Simpson's seemingly limited vocabulary. I must admit I quickly lost count ...more
Mike Finn
Based on the glowing reviews I'd seen, I bought an ebook omnibus containing the four novels that make up David Simpson's "Post-Human" series, which explores what happens when AI becomes real.

I didn't make it through the first book, "Sub-Human".

"Sub-Human" is packed with informed ideas about AI and its consequences. It has action on every page. The plot is very fast paced. It would make a great comic (Graphic Novel if that makes you feel more grown-up) or a TV series.

As a novel, it is so under-wr
John
Apr 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
I actually only read 1-3. I couldn't commit to one more. The characters were amazingly boring. The plot was both slow and plodding, then with bursts of kind of boring action that followed suit in all three books.

I'm glad the character I thought was the main character wasn't because he was immensely boring to read. Not that the actual "Main" character was any better. Add that characters go from strong and passionate about their story to 5th level characters with little actual personality. One si
Dave Shaw
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Some good yarns, but I couldn't quite suspend my disbelief, due to some of the 'science' and the lack of plausibility in many of the character interactions. Just a few examples:

Dr. Craig Emilson, ambitious Special Forces physician, turns into an amiable, fatherly fellow who nearly everyone calls 'Old-timer'? Never 'Doctor Emilson', rarely 'Craig', but 'Old-timer'! I'd have whipped some of those kids' butts for that!

Nothing can exceed the speed of light, until a book and a half later when the aut
Lars Marowsky-Brée
Nov 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
This was the worst sci-fi book I've read this year. Possibly ever. DO NOT READ IT. Save your time!

Just like the author, I lack the words to describe how bad this was. The flat plot, the clichés, the cardboard characters, their shallow, black/white relationships; the trivial way their binary "emotions" are described; the power-mongering when it comes to the tech. The horribly predictable action.

I have absolutely no idea how this drivel ever ended up with such high ratings on Amazon and elsewhere.
Jo Iles
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this four book bundle. Set in the future, it's a clever mix of technology interwoven with a great plot. The books centre on the development of AI showing both the potential capabilities as well as the negative possibilities which could arise.

I loved the sheer randomness of the first book, books two and three follow the same characters as they fight to save earth and book four is totally different. When I started reading the fourth book, I had to check a couple of times that my K
Fabi
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I just finished Sub-Human and all I can say is WHOA. A quote from the book sums it up nicely, "The boundary between magic and science had blurred until it was unrecognizable.

To write this kind book, (my favorite kind of sci-fi), the author had to have researched extensively in various areas of science and technology. He pulled it off flawlessly. It is completely believable with enough scientific fact to back up the fiction that there is no need to suspend belief at any point.

I'm moving on to boo
MaryCatherine
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting concepts, and enjoyable read. I read it because it was really cheap on Amazon Kindle, and kept my interest.
Bill Thibadeau
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Post-Human book series of 4 books is really a (at this time) a four book set. I am choosing to offer my review on the first 4 book set since I think that better serves the reader.

The first book in the series was really written as the third book. It is a prequel which introduces the characters, primarily the old-timer. I found this book pretty essential in understanding the series. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and give it a 5 star rating.

The second and third books are much different from th
Nicholas Adams
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Having just read the Post-Human series books 1-4, I need a moment to collect my collective thoughts before I continue my review... Whew... now I feel better!

What I liked about the series: Imaginative, realistic 'future' tech, and a story-line that kept surprising me. Several times I thought a had a bead on where the plot headed, but the twists alternated between "What the hell" and "That's even better". Overall, the story kept me engaged and invested in reading to the end. Many of the character
Misterg
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Technically I have only read three out of the four, but as it seems to have been a Trilogy at one time I'm not bothered!
The tale is a rambling space opera, showing the evolution of the human race from one or two special people up through a major cataclysm to an ultimate metamorphosis. There are times when influences can be seen, especially the Borg from Star Trek in the third book, complete with a collective and assimilation of others.
Throughout this yarn several people - -major characters - die
Cynthia
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well written and imaginative

Solid writing and editing is always a huge plus, and Mr. Simpson delivers. The storyline is action-packed, Imaginative, and futuristic. Overall, the series thus far is an excellent addition to the sci-fi genre. The books are shorter than I prefer, but reading them in this grouping all at once alleviates some of the chagrin that might have otherwise left me feeling strung along.

Jason Abrao
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
I enjoyed book 4, but the other 3 were hard to get into. Craig/Old Timer seemed to have forgotten everything that has happened to him from Book 1, and the way the Post-Humans react to the Purists was absurd. It was maybe 100 years since the divide and the Post-Humans act like it was eons. I don't know if I will continue to Book 5. ...more
Grant True
Mar 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-dnf
I gave up about 18% into the first book. I found the first few chapters very interesting, but then it quickly got very ridiculous. I'm disappointed as I purchased all 5 books based on so many great reviews. ...more
Michael Petryk
Jun 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
It started off so very well with book one. But book two was so cliche it made my stop reading it. Very disappointing.
Paul Bennington
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This omnibus edition was obtained free. The reviews below are also repeated as reviews for individual books. I have reviewed the books separately as well so that people will see the review, whichever way they come across the book. These reviews also appear on Amazon.

This series of books makes for very interesting reading. It is sci-fi and some of the things in it make you think "I wonder if they will ever achieve that?" while other leave you thinking that certain things are impossible (like a co
Blarg
Feb 03, 2022 rated it it was ok
I sure wish I had read some reviews before buying this book. I blithely assumed it was hard science fiction when in reality is it better described as young adult science fantasy romance.

The underlying concepts that are explored are interesting but other than that the book is very difficult to get through. The characters are not only one dimensional but they are dumb, dumb, dumb. They face near-certain death a dozen times and in each case they are squabbling and throwing out quips and professing
Cindy
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read Ng
This was a GoodReads giveaway of a Kindle ebook.

I never know if I should review this Omnibus as four separate books or as a single book. This review will be an overview of the combined Post-Human #1-4.

Overall I liked this, but with some serious reservations. I was very tempted to quit midway on this series. I try not to put books into my DNF stack. I try to read the entire book(s) regardless of how painful it might get.

Book #1 I would rate 3 stars. It introduced some interesting concepts. I tho
Melvin Patterson
Not really science fiction, more like science fantasy

So, this series is a plot driven story that has almost no character development. Worse, most of the characters seem more like caricatures of people in different roles. For example, the female characters all seem to be preoccupied by love and sex. Even the ones who are depicted as scientists are driven by their emotional attachments to the male characters and don't exhibit any logical or rational thought.

The male characters seem mostly like car
Michael
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I judge my science fiction based upon a modified version of the Baen criteria, and for this one I was looking at is the technology something I can understand, is the storyline plausible (especially in light of the technology), and was it an overall good read. I think Mr. Simpson hits it on those fronts, and he must have done a pretty good job as I have thought about these books for several times after reading it - considering the number of books I read on a monthly basis, that is impressive (to ...more
James Rocks
To call it "Enid Blyton In Space" is unkind but it's what I said to my wife so it seems as good as any.

I borrowed this set of books from the kindle lending library and whilst I quite enjoyed the first one I started to find the characters of the second one grating on me and I wasn't sure why. As I started in on the third I began to realise what was bugging me. Simpson's main characters seem too simplistic and lack depth; too black and white, the primary characters being too good or bad; and the s
David
Jun 03, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First books ok, second books so-so, third books pure BS and hand waving.

Skip this and find something better.

The first book is an ok adventure that hand waves away all science and has a pleasant if useless hero. The secondary hero is a lunatic who gets tens of thousands murdered due to having a god complex with delusions of moral superiority, and the primary villains are just supposed to be well meaning but misguided zealots.
And that’s one good book.

By the third book we have geniuses acting like
Bob
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Almost

The concept, evolution via connection to humans through super advanced computers was ingenious.
However, the "Groundhog Day" manipulation was confusing. Instead of reading a single story, it felt as if I was reading a collection of short stories with the same general subject.
Good stories, but disconnected.
If the last story had been first, for me the premise would have been established. Each subsequent story have followed logically.
Otherwise, I enjoyed the collection very much. The writing
Oriol
Oct 10, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Worse book I have read in a very long time

Characters are flat. They don't behave in a credible way.
The plot is dull.
The science is not plausible.
It is just not well written....
And you might wonder why I read a book I don't like.
I did not finish.
I read the first bookrand found it horrible but it was useful to go to sleep.
It was so boring that I'd fall asleep after 2 or 3 pages .
But there is so much stupidity I can handle, specially in a book that talks about intelligence.
Please don't read it.
The
Denk Gords
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For the reviews who bashed this novel. Go FUCK YOURSELVES! None of you highlighted valid critcism or simply gave a neutral non hostile rundown in a concise point. All of the bssh are vague in description.

Not sure if you guys are negging or just little bitches who have too much time on their hands.

It would be ok to point out the lacking parts, but to actually call for cancellation of the novel just because you are a little bitch who have nothing better to do is just plain hateful.

Side note: Who
Meg
May 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is quite an entertaining series! It allows your imagination to run wild with possibilities about the tech of the future and the character development is excellent. There's just something holding me back from giving it the full five stars. I think it's that throughout the series, the main characters continually face impossible situations and somehow survive AND save the world. There's psychological damage for some more than others but there was a lost opportunity to explore that aspect more. ...more
Itzhak Keren
Jul 18, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Man with AI injected into him (nice idea). They can speak with each other but human "hears" AI in his mind while AI can "hear" human only if human actually talks (not very convenient when other people around). From various reasons this super-human jumps between parallel universes arriving exactly at important dates. In the first universe he arrives few minutes before Titanic clashed with iceberg, in second universe few minutes before September 11 terrorist attack. On third universe I became bore ...more
Karlyn
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found myself pulled into the story more as the various books were read. Initially I wasn’t pulled in quickly but I stuck with the stories and found myself enjoying the characters. The story is definitely sci fi and alt universe. There are weaknesses apparent that are answered later in the series. I recommend sticking with them through the end or you’ll miss some great story lines and revelations.
Sean Myles
AI rules. Ok?

I’m sorry to be somewhat negative for this review as the author has researched the subject in depth. In my opinion the style of writing is aimed at .a young audience and I couldn’t get immersed in the tale or its characters. I did try but abandoned the tale after page 5000 with 6000 pages to go. The concept was good and thought provoking however the style of delivery failed to engage me. My preference is for a more serious approach to implications of AI.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Pawsibly Guilty: The Secret Library Cozy Mysteries
  • Diving into the Wreck (Diving Universe, #1)
  • Against Time (Seeders Universe #2)
  • The Union
  • Genesis Sequence
  • Wanderer's Odyssey: Books 1-3
  • Aftermath (CSI Reilly Steel, #6)
  • Defiance of the Fall 6 (Defiance of the Fall, #6)
  • Direct Fire (Drop Trooper, #4)
  • Super Flare
  • The Golden Crystal
  • Command (Lt Peter Harding Book 1)
  • Chasing Secrets: Books 1-3 (The Chase Malone Thrillers)
  • Symbiosis (Justice Keepers Saga #1)
  • Ice (Dr. Leah Andrews and Jack Hobson Thrillers, #1)
  • Grosse Pointe Pulp (John Rockne 1-3)
  • Romeo's Hammer (Mike Romeo, #3)
  • The Amplifier Protocol (Amplifier #0)

Futurist/Feature Film Director/Bestselling and Award-Winning Author/Film Composer/Actor/TEDX Speaker/Advisor for the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO),— just some of David Simpson's professional passions. His TEDX presentation, "Our Post-Human Future," has over 1.7 Million views on Youtube and his debut feature film, a psychological thriller titled, Dangerous to Know, had

Post-Human (6 books)
  • Sub-Human (Post-Human, #1)
  • Post-Human (Post-Human, #2)
  • Trans-Human (Post-Human, #3)
  • Human Plus (Post-Human, #4)
  • Inhuman (Post-Human, #5)
  • Superhuman (Post-Human Series Book 6)

News & Interviews

It’s hard to believe the year 2022 is already coming to an end. That went fast, didn’t it? Still, there’s just enough time to wedge in a...
“I don’t know what the hell that freak just said, but we’re not as backward as you cyborgs think! We know how to speak English!” The tableau continued a moment longer before Old-timer finally managed to utter, “You do?” “No! I’m lying to you! I don’t speak a damn word of English! I memorized this phonetically just to piss you off at the right moment!” the Purist shouted back at him.” 4 likes
“Feelings are never wrong. Only actions can be wrong.” 4 likes