Start by marking “The Essential David Bohm” as Want to Read:
The Essential David Bohm

The Essential David Bohm

There are few scientists of the twentieth century whose life's work has created more excitement and controversy than that of physicist David Bohm (1917-1992). For the first time in a single volume, The Essential David Bohm offers a comprehensive overview of Bohm's original works from a non-technical perspective. Including three chapters of previously unpublished material, ...more
Published December 29th 2002 by Routledge (first published November 21st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Essential David Bohm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential David Bohm

Julie Johnson
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book came to me like a gift -- arriving to validate and inspire me. This man was brilliant and left a legacy of wisdom for us all to harvest. It is a bit heavy in the jargon but for me well worth it. And, Lee Nichol's commentaries enrich the experience.
Joel
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Been reading this for months. I must read. Think. Re-read. Allow it to sink in. Reread and then realized I just got more out of a particular paragraph after the fourth reading.
Aravind Domakonda
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This Book is an Eye-Opener only if you think out of the box and not attached to Religion or any other social Dogma.

It is a complex subject matter.....Recommended only if interested :)

Marius Croeser
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
an absolute must read.
Antoninus9
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The best book for understanding Bohm
Scott Erickson
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was in the mood for a big dose of intellectual, and this was perfect. David Bohm was an amazing scientist and philosopher. He was a pioneer in the quantum physics, yet his interests went way beyond. He believed that quantum physics revealed that the quantitative/mechanistic view of existence was fundamentally flawed, and went on to develop a philosophy that transcended the "mind-matter" duality. He developed an inclusive philosophy of "wholeness and the implicate order." His was a close friend ...more
Jerry Boyle
I now know how a shark must feel when you turn it on its back. After a good start this book turns into hundreds of pages of can’t-we-all-just-get-along tripe. Please, dear God, save us from physicists-turned-philosophers.

If you’re interested in science try Bohm’s “Wholeness and the Implicate Order”.

For philosophy, try something with a heart and some bite, like Kopp’s “If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him!” or Pirsig’s “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance”.

And one more thing that b
Leonard
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physic
Bohm was a great man and a great physicist. And this is a great book!
Mohammad
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
'Bohm made easy' is my suggested alternative title for this amazing book.
Serkelion
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Spero sia "Universo, Mente, Materia" nella edizione italiana.

Un capolavoro per chi ama salire le vette della Consapevolezza, Filosofia e relativi problemi di Cognitivismo... meno pesante di quanto sembra, talmente illuminante che è inutile leggerlo tutto d'un fiato.
Vi passerebbe da parte a parte come una lama di fine cristallo...
Nicole Shepard
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: complex-issues
I'm no scientist, but I'm intrigued by Bohm. I read this book and though the material seemed to float right out of my reach it changed my life for the better. I don't say that lightly. I feel like I truly better understand the universe and no just from a scientific or philosophical perspective, but from an internal/personal view.
Vinicius Miranda
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Incredible!
Kara
Mar 18, 2014 rated it liked it
A slow read, but a must-read for anyone interested in modern and theoretical physics. I recommend reading some light, fun fiction alongside it.
Cody Kuiack

• Neuroscience and Philosophy: Brain, Mind, and Language
  • The Character of Consciousness
  • Speech Acts: An Essay in the Philosophy of Language
  • The Age of Entanglement: When Quantum Physics Was Reborn
  • The Dreams That Stuff Is Made Of: The Most Astounding Papers of Quantum Physics--and How They Shook the Scientific World
  • Pragmatism and Other Writings
  • The Quark and the Jaguar: Adventures in the Simple and the Complex
  • Atom and Archetype: The Pauli/Jung Letters 1932-58
  • The Amazing Story of Quantum Mechanics: A Math-Free Exploration of the Science that Made Our World
  • Where Mathematics Come From: How the Embodied Mind Brings Mathematics into Being
  • Consciousness: An Introduction
David Joseph Bohm (December 20, 1917 – October 27, 1992) was an American scientist who has been described as one of the most significant theoretical physicists of the 20th century and who contributed innovative and unorthodox ideas to quantum theory, neuropsychology and the philosophy of mind.
“The question is how our own meanings are related to those of the universe as a whole. We could say that our action toward the whole universe is a result of what it means to be us.” 5 likes