Start by marking “Dead Zone (Blackout, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Zone  (Blackout, #2)

Dead Zone

(Blackout #2)

Homeland meets Marie Lu’s Legend in the explosive sequel to Blackout, which #1 New York Times bestselling author Ally Condie called “a thrilling combination of Wells’s trademark twists and terror. Fantastic!”

America is at war—and five teens are caught in the crossfire.

It began with a virus. Then a series of attacks erupted across the nation. Now the true invasion has
Published September 30th 2014 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Dead Zone, please sign up.
Hayley Dead Zone appears to be the second and final published print book in this series. There is also a novella called Going Dark, which is a prequel and is…moreDead Zone appears to be the second and final published print book in this series. There is also a novella called Going Dark, which is a prequel and is only available as an ebook.(less)
Hayley I think Dead Zone is better than Blackout - the plotting is tighter and more coherent. You can read my reviews of both books here.

Start your review of Dead Zone (Blackout, #2)
Kate
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi, 2015
This book felt rushed and incomplete at the end. And, while I really think the action scenes were excellent - certainly among some of the best and most visual I've read in a YA novel - the characters and the story arc didn't live up to that standard at all. So in the end, this had no real stakes for me. I wasn't emotionally connected to 90% of the characters and the remaining 10% I was ambivalent about at best. I needed more from their motivations, especially in light of what they were being ...more
Stephanie
Have you ever started reading a book and wished you hadn't but just couldn't put it down? I have, and this was the book. I really wanted to like it! It's got all the right elements-action: check! conflict: check! teens doing great things to pull adults butts out of the fire: check! a pinch of romance: check! Unfortunately, all of these things weren't enough to compensate for the lack of depth, lack of emotion, and lack of descriptive language.

I didn't realize just how much I hate "info
Jessica
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent ending to the duology. It's true, I tease Rob about writing duologies, but he does an excellent job, introducing a conflict in book one, then wrapping it up nicely in book two. As I read this one I was trying to think of any other books for teens that could be classified as military sci fi, and I just couldn't. This book hits all the sweet spots of war books, sci fi, romance. . . it's got it all, but very well blended together. Super fun!
Sam (da_beast)
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was definitely a 5 star book. I think that Robinson Wells could probably make another book and I would buy that one too. The story line of this series with Aubry and Jack being Lambdas is just really interesting. Overall, 5/5 from me.
P.M.
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read it in one sitting. The poor Russian lambda who created the dead zone - he deserved better. I wonder if there will be a sequel or is this it?
Ricky
This is a little more like it. War, action, mayhem. Less boring stuff than the first book, and it brings the story to a fairly satisfying conclusion.
Niara
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jesus Christ did I read that right? Five characters? I can't handle it!
Jeff Mere
I think that this book is better than Blackout...definitely worth the read!
Ellie Hine
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book 2

Russia is attacking the U.S. There are few that can stop them because of a machine that shuts down all power around for a diameter of 8 miles. But there are the Lambdas. Aubrey and Jack are in military training with other Lambdas. After graduation they are sent out on their first mission. Aubrey screws up and ends up having to kill 9 men. She also causes most of the Lambdas on their team to be injured. During their second mission Aubrey is given the wrong orders and it goes horribly. The
Simon
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like it was good and fun, parts of it were repeated over and over again, I understood things the first time.

Characters were silly minded teens who thought they knew better, and military over-enforcing was annoying as always. I enjoyed the abandoned American Town vibes and descriptions, how once sprawling homes and neighborhoods, to even whole cities were brought down to crumble and chaos as literal War was ravaged around the characters.

The ending was somewhat abrupt, and some character
Joshua Marx
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopian, sci-fi, youth
This book had amazing action sequences and I liked the basis of the plot: take out whatever is disrupting the electronics. Wells kept it more simple and it worked. It was cool to see the new powers and how the military uses them in tandem to create a more useful team. All of that was excellent. But the teenage romance was way too much. Aubrey can't go a minute without thinking about Jack or saying how much she likes/loves him. Kind of pathetic. Take that out and it would be a way better book, ...more
Joshua Schumacher
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was pretty good. It's a sequel to Blackout, and picks up a few months after it left off. Jack and Aubrey are now members of the army as special "lambada" soldiers, and are helping to fight the Russians, who invaded Alaska after terrorists weakened the military. This book is full of action and overall is a pretty exciting read. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys action and excitement (and has read the first one, obviously).
sfc
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm the type of person where 90% of my reviews are five stars. And that just means I finished the book and wasn't offended by the content. This one though, was something specail. The emotions and doubts experienced thought the story by the characters was very well done. Technical explanations were not glossed over or left out. All in all strongly recommend.
CJ
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story from Blackout continues in Dead Zone and is just as compelling as the first novel except certain people are the bad victims of kharmic justification. It is a high octane war zone thriller with young adult superheroes. It is worth the read.
LauraAnn
I still feel so incomplete with this story. After two books I still have no idea what Aubrey or Jack would look like and I should at this point. This book was rushed but the action in it was good. The ending feels incomplete. We got the one thing we needed peace out bad guys... really? So ya... 3.5
Anastasia
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a 100 times better than the first one. Lots of action and craziness to keep my attention.
T.J.
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this sequel better than the original. A little slow near the end, but definitely a lot more unexpected outcomes than I anticipated.
Vera
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book! Finished in two days which doesn't happen often anymore.
Bogis
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
The sequel built more on the world and events from the first book. I thought it was definitely a better read. It definitely left me wanting more.
Grace Naegle
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a quick read that I really enjoyed. Set in central Washington, so that was fun.
Ethan H
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this 2 part series in 7th grade and decided to it again this year because I liked it so much. Its the second book in the series to read the review I haven't written yet.
Wesley Miller
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. This was definitely an improvement off of Blackout, but is seemed a little rushed at the end. Still a great read!
Rikki
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as Blackout...I wanted to know more about the special skills the Lambdas had...not about combat and killing Russians. I was a bit disappointed, because I really enjoyed Blackout.
Angie
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Had a hard time caring about the characters. The chapters jumped from character to character. Was sometimes hard to follow.
Feed The Crime
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 rounded up to 5, RTC
Nick Morgan
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
The full review can be read here: http://notesfromthedarknet.wordpress....

Themes: Following Orders, Greater Good
POV: Multiple 3rd person
Tense: Past

Reviewer: Nick

Where I Got It: Thanks to Atsiko for finding a trove of 2014 ARCs. We've both spent time listening to Brandon Sanderson's Podcast, Writing Excuses, on which Wells was often a guest, so we were very excited to have someone reviewing this book. For scheduling reasons, that someone ended up being me.

Review:

This was a difficult review to
Wendy
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Wendy by: Sequel
In "Dead Zone" the Russians are invading America, their goal is not only to eliminate the superpower, to take over the cities, but to control Canadian oil reserves. With a mysterious EMP device to disable the electronics in military equipment the Russians will win if a handful of lambdas (teenagers with extraordinary abilities) don't neutralize the threat.

In this story Aubrey Parsons and Jack Cooper team up with Krezi, Josi, Rich and Tabitha to find the source of the menace before the Russians
Angela
Oct 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This book is a sequel to BLACKOUT, where we learned that the U.S. and Russia participated in some major testing, and the result is that teenagers are manifesting superpowers. The Russians have weaponized their super teens, so the U.S. has enlisted the help of American superteens. Known as Lamdas, these kids are sucked into a conflict that defies most of the strategy developed in the history of war. In the first pages of DEAD ZONE, readers see that two Russian Lamdas are the cornerstone of the ...more
Haley
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dead Zone is an awesome sequel, but still not as good as Blackout. I’m fine with that because I really enjoyed both. This 2 book series is filled with action, danger and super-powered teens. It’s a real thrill ride and great for fans of X-Men and the Gone series by Michael Grant. These teens are called Lambda’s by the military. They got their powers from a virus.

I really enjoyed the characters. Aubrey is my favorite. She’s got the ability so go unnoticed by those within a certain radius. It isn’
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Who do you ship? 1 3 Oct 12, 2014 08:12AM

• Black out
  • The Lovely and the Lost
  • The Overlord Protocol (H.I.V.E., #2)
  • Bluescreen (Mirador, #1)
  • Until the Beginning (After the End, #2)
  • The Nerdiest, Wimpiest, Dorkiest I Funny Ever (I Funny, #6)
  • MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1)
  • Black Out [Blackout] By Robinson Wells [Paperback]
  • The Countdown (The Taking, #3)
  • Ashfall (Ashfall, #1)
  • Hacking Timbuktu
  • Sun, Moon and Talia
  • Monster (Monster, #1)
  • H.I.V.E. Higher Institute of Villainous Education (H.I.V.E., #1)
  • Oblivion (The Gatekeepers, #5)
  • Necropolis (The Gatekeepers, #4)
  • A Fool and His Monet (Serena Jones Mystery, #1)
  • Crown of Acorns

Blackout (2 books)
  • Blackout (Blackout, #1)