Start by marking “Geek Girl (Geek Girl, #1)” as Want to Read:
Geek Girl (Geek Girl, #1)

Geek Girl

(Geek Girl #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  16,502 ratings  ·  2,181 reviews
Je m'appelle Harriet Manners et je déteste la mode.
Sincèrement. Je préfère savoir que lors d’un éternuement, tous les organes s’arrêtent, le cœur compris, qu’une cuillerée à café d’étoile à neutrons pèse des milliards de tonnes, ou que le merle bleu ne voit pas la couleur bleue. C’est sûrement pour ça que je n’ai pas beaucoup d’amis et qu’un « fan » a écrit GEEK au marqueu
Published April 30th 2014 by Nathan (first published February 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Geek Girl, please sign up.
Lobstergirl No. If it is good, that is independent of the fact that your sisters got it.
Jessica The font is perfectly fine, they are not small at all. And yes, I personally had a good laugh :)

·  16,502 ratings  ·  2,181 reviews

Aj the Ravenous Reader
This is exactly what I needed after reading Second Chance Summer and Some Girls Are- a fun, hilarious coming off age story. I felt like I laughed from start to finish. Harriet’s story could be compared to the Ugly Duckling’s except when Harriet transforms, she still ends up being herself and I thought that was great. She’s a certified geek from start to end and I loved that about the story. Although Harriet transforms, it’s mostly inner transformation. In the end, she earns self-confidence and r ...more
Pang
Love this! A nerd girl turn to be the model. Why this not happen to me? *Jeeez I'm a jealous thing* The writing style is really hilarious, it made me lol and have smile shone on my face, I love it! My new fave comedy read this year and I want more!
Laura Noakes
Ah. This book. I really had to mull over my feelings before writing a review because it wasn’t all horrible – there were some funny moments and some really heart-warming moments and I have to say that I thought it was written very well. But me and this book did not gel one iota.

First of all, Harriet. Harriet is our main character and self proclaimed ‘geek girl’. Harriet is meant to be fifteen, but she is more naïve then my thirteen year old sister. This was my first gripe. Harriet’s entire perso
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

1) Geek Girl - ★★★★

Even though I kept hearing great things about Geek Girl, I never really happened to read it. A month ago, my teen sister borrowed the whole Geek Girl series and told me this is something I must check off my list. And here I am one month later - loving the first book!

Geek Girl tells the story of a young teen Harriet, who is a geek and gets bullied at her school. She might know all the science answers, but she has no clue why pe
Lola
This was juvenile and very dramatic, but also VERY entertaining. How often do you read books about geeks that become models? Or modeling, period? Over-the-top for sure, but it still makes me want more. Looking forward to more of Harriet's misadventures in the modeling and fashion world.
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you HarperCollins Australia for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

geek
gi:k/
informal
noun
noun: geek; plural noun: geeks

1. an unfashionable or socially inept person.

Geek Girl is another one of those reads that have a bucket full of flaws, but is so entertaining and laid back that some of them just disappear. And that's totally cool every now and again. An imperfectly perfect novel.

Harriet Manners is a geek;
Galadriele Reads▪Gabrielė
May 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
☆1/5☆

DNF @ 8%

This thing is just not for me. I feel like my IQ degrades while reading this &@%#...

It's not even a guilty pleasure read..

Really.. #sorry not sorry
Nikoleta
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cute-funny
Ένα βιβλίο που μου άρεσε ανέλπιστα πολύ, καθώς με έκανε κ πέρασα πολύ καλά.
Είναι από τα βιβλία αυτά, που τα αποκαλώ «ζουζουνοβιβλία». Και αυτό διότι τα πάντα είναι αξιολάτρευτα, η ηρωίδα είναι αξιολάτρευτα αδέξια, κάθε τι είναι χαριτωμένο επάνω της.
Οι υπόλοιποι ήρωες είναι εξίσου συμπαθητικοί (ειδικά ο τρελομπαμπάς της).
Η αφήγηση είναι γεμάτη αστεία και έξυπνα λογοπαίγνια.
Η ιστορία δεν είναι κάτι ιδιαίτερο και δεν χαρακτηρίζεται από έντονη δράση αλλά κυλάει πολύ ευχάριστα, διότι η συγγραφέας
Chelsey Ellice
Enjoyed this book. I can't believe how mean Alexa is... such a bully, I don't like them!! I'm glad Harriet stands up for her self in the end. I can relate a little to Harriet, well when I was younger... I always wished I could be someone else and that events and decisions would help that. But it's not true, we are who we are. I loved when Harriet and Nick did the interview together and how she spoke from the heart. And I loved how it ended
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Hilarious, model, school, bullies, geeky.

I'd heard a lot about Geek Girl before I picked it up. I'd even bought it months beforehand. Even my none-bookish sister had read it and was raving about it and asking when I was getting the next book. I'd even started it, reading the first 15 chapters before my sister decided she'd like it better.

So I don't know why it took the book being picked as the Fashionista Book Club read for me to read it. Because I'd enjoyed the start, and I'd heard so
Carlie K
this review is originally posted on The Bookish Girl
----------------------------------------------
You can buy the book from Bookdepository
A geek + a super model = Harriet Manners

The above equation is basically the synopsis of this book (*wink*) but I'll give you another version of it just in case you don't like Maths.

Harriet Manners is a full-time geek, which means she's the opposite of popular.
Lisa (lifeinlit)
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Have you guys read this book yet? Oh man, it’s SO FUN! Let’s chat about it, shall we?

“You need to stop caring what people who don’t matter think of you. Be who you are and let everybody else be who they are. Differences are a good thing.”

Okay, let’s face it… most of us are geeks, right? Or at least have some geekish tendencies. I sure do. And I believe that’s why I loved this book so much. Harriet is the type of MC you can’t help but love. She’s such a stereotypical geek, but in the best possibl
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Visit Stay Bookish for more book reviews!

Fun is the one perfect word I can think of that sums up Geek Girl. I picked it up on a pretty dull day and it easily put me in a happy mood as I laughed because of the hilarious MC and the delightful events that lead to her from being unpopular geek to becoming a model for a top UK fashion powerhouse as well as the events that occur after. Seriously, it was just such a fun book! Why? Let me list the reasons.

1. True to the title, Harriet Manners is a geek.
Stacey (prettybooks)
I'm going to a Geek Girl party this weekend, in which I'll be surrounded by many of my fellow UK book blogging friends, participating in a 'geek quiz', playing ping pong, and nibbling on snacks. As I don't particularly enjoy the slightly awkward feeling of attending a book event without having read the book (it feels a bit fraudulent), I decided to pick up Geek Girl. And I'm rather glad I did.

Geek Girl is a fun, quirky roller-coaster I didn't see coming. A super quick read, it's the story of 15-
Alaina
I had no idea how to rate this or even what to talk about when I finished this book.

Geek Girl was a book that has been on my TBR for a while. Then when I saw it on my audible romance package - well, I went for it. However, I can't decide if it was the narrator, accent or just the MC that I didn't like. I mean, the story was okay and everything but other than that - I have no idea how I feel.

Harriet was cool and all but I don't see the problem with being a geek. She got bullied at school because
Rebekah
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love. So much love.

What worked: Officially one of my new favourite series. Seriously. It’s up there with Delirium, Chronicles of Narnia, Kate Daniels and Georgia Nicholson! When I first saw Geek Girl, I was expecting something fluffy and light that I could absorb into my brain. Did I get that? Yes. But what else did I get from it? I got my geek on, I learned new facts that I can throw at my friends, I found a kindred spirit. Holly Smale, can we be best friends?

I can barely write a coherent rev
E.
3e read: 10 - Mei 2016
Leesclub met nichtje Rachel (11)

1e read: 13 - 19 september 2013
Geek girl begon bijzonder hilarisch, maar later veranderde hilarisch in grappig. Het verhaal is niet bijzonder origineel en ook zeker niet overal even realistisch, maar de toon van het boek is lekker luchtig. De vader van Harriet vind ik een frustrerend karakter, maar Annabel, Nat en Toby vind ik wel leuk. Toby is waarschijnlijk een van de minst realistische bijrollen, en er wordt ook niet toegelicht hoe hij aan
Clair
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
Holly Smale's début novel is a story about a geeky girl who accidentally falls into the modelling business after being scouted at a clothes show. Normally, I'm not really a fan of the 'geek girl fixes her hair up and wears contacts and OMG she's so pretty without her glasses/geeky jumpers/bushy hair' trope, though I have enjoyed similar material in the past. Meg Cabot's The Princess Diaries are nice and fluffy, and Hermione's transformation to belle of the Yule Ball in Harry Potter and the Goble ...more
Samina ~ Escapism~
My ratings: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Before I go nose diving into my review, I have a confession to make. I’m a geek. Let’s make a big massive GEEK. In fact I’m pretty sure I’m Harriett Manners. Or perhaps Harriett is modelled after every Geek girl out there. Harriett was so real to me. It felt like story was being told. Well, I’m not exactly model material but I’d like to think I am.

Harriett is your average geek girl next door, complete with a fashion crazy best friend and a geeky stalker. She was you
BookHeroin
I don't remember laughing this hard while reading a book. That was so funny and humours. The characters are SO cute and loveable. Everything was witty and ... CUTE!

for sure recommend this to everyone who wants to have a fast, witty, and funny read. :)
Faye
Read: January 2018
Rating: 3.5/5 stars

Geek Girl was on a long list of books my teenage daughter has recommended that I read, and I can see why she likes it. Harriet is a quirky, likeable protagonist and the plot is entertaining and easy to follow. I especially like the fact that Harriet has a loving and healthy relationship with her dad and step-mother.

The only reason this was not a four star read was that the plot became more and more unrealistic towards the end of the novel; there's no way (vi
MoisesRd
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me reí en todo momento y aunque hubo un largo tiempo en que lo abandoné, valió la pena cada segundo de espera.
De lo más divertido que habré leído en el año, sin duda.
Harriet Manners y Toby, ustedes son mis Frikis favoritos de la literatura.
Airah ♔
Meet Harriet Manners -- our resident 15 y/o geek girl.

"I'm not a big fan of the colour red, even if it is the longest wavelength of light discernible by the human eye."

Well, my fave color is red, and I didn't know that.

Let me tell you, I feel pretty giddy whenever I start a book. I believe that no book can be so bad that it doesn't contain even a single new knowledge or information.

Fortunately, this book is full of them. I'm seriously learning lots of actual trivias while reading this YA goo
Marieke
Apr 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF op 32%. Dit is het eerste boek dit jaar dat op mijn dnf lijst komt. Ik kan er maar niet doorheen komen.. En ik ben stiekem al trots op mezelf dat ik tot de 32% ben gekomen. Dit is mijn eerste luisterboek en daar kan het misschien ook wel een heel klein beetje liggen. Haar beste vriendin Nat, klinkt in mijn oren als Ned en dus was ik telkens in de war. (Ook duurt het luisteren van een luisterboek mij te lang.. bijna 7 uur om zo'n boek te luisteren? Dat kan toch veel sneller?)

Ik erger me voora
Cheryl
This was a fun, light read that was just perfect for me since I had just finished A Court of Thorns and Roses. It only took a few hours to read and was well written. The only part I didn't like was how childish Harriet's dad acts. I mean he acts like he's 13 years old on a good day. Other then that, it was good and shows the reader that what really counts Ina person is what is on the inside, not the outside.

I will be reading the next few books of this series because 1) I want to see what happen
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
Como este maldito ordenador me ha borrado todo lo que he escrito, os quedáis con lo que pueda hacer en 10 minutos... Y mira que mi reseña estaba bien...

El libro mo era lo suficientemente interesante como para que me lo acabara, lo único bueno que teníaera que me aportó más datos curiosos a mi lista. Y era bastante gracioso en los 5 capí tulos que leí, sus monólogos internos eran mejor que cualquier comedia que puedas ver.

La cosa es que no me atrajo como otros libros lo hayan hecho anteriormente.
Rachel Heather Sangster
I'd recommend this book maybe for 13-15 year olds?
It's a cutesy, light, slightly annoying teenage book, I literally only paid 50p for it, but I think I'm more put out by the amount of time I spent reading it (which was only a few hours but still..)
I gave it 3 stars because it wasn't wasn't bad book, it's just not my kind of read, personally I wanted to give it 1 star, but if I was a teenager I'd have loved it, sooo...3 stars!
Yoda
Geek Girl is about a pretty normal girl, a bit quirky, that gets spotted at a school trip.
It was an okay read but mostly predictable. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I regret buying the whole series right away..
The character of Toby was annoying and not really needed for the story.
I love fun facts and that was probably the thing I liked the most about this book.
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
Dec 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tweens and fans of Stargirl and The Princess Diaries
This review can also be found on my blog: A Match Made in Heaven

This was a typical coming-of-age story. Very predictable. Harriet is picked on in school and when she is offered a modelling job, she accepts hoping it will change her life for the better. But she soon realizes that there are bullies wherever you go, and the trick is to ignore them, be yourself, and remember what is really important.

This was very brief. I read it in two sittings, and not much really happened. Her modeling career c
  • Infinite Sky (Infinite Sky, #1)
  • Emma Hearts LA (Hearts Series, #2)
  • The Last Dance
  • Heart-Shaped Bruise
  • Undone
  • Me and Mr J
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Under My Skin
  • Dead Jealous (Poppy Sinclair, #1)
  • Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains)
  • The Book (The Bell Collection)
  • Noble Conflict
  • Diary of a Mall Girl
  • Cruel Summer
  • Smuggler's Kiss
  • Life Was Cool Until You Got Popular
  • You Don't Know Me
  • Verkikkerd (Verkikkerd #1)
Holly is the Number One bestselling, multi-award winning author of the GEEK GIRL series.

She fell in love with writing at five years old, when she realised that books didn't grow on trees like apples. A passion for travel, adventure and wearing no shoes has since led her all over the world: she has visited 27 countries, spent two years working as an English teacher in Japan, volunteered in Nepal,

Geek Girl (6 books)
  • Model Misfit (Geek Girl, #2)
  • Picture Perfect (Geek Girl, #3)
  • All That Glitters (Geek Girl, #4)
  • Head Over Heels (Geek Girl, #5)
  • Forever Geek (Geek Girl, #6)
“Nobody hopped into a wardrobe to find Narnia; they hopped in, thinking it was just a wardrobe. They didn't climb up the Faraway Tree, knowing it was a Faraway Tree; they thought it was just a really big tree. Harry Potter thought he was a normal boy; Mary Poppins was supposed to be a regular nanny. It's the first and only rule. Magic comes when you're not looking for it.” 155 likes
“I didn't need to transform after all.
My name is Harriet Manners and I am a geek.
And maybe that's not so bad after all.”
76 likes