Start by marking “Adrenaline (Adrenaline, #1)” as Want to Read:
Adrenaline (Adrenaline, #1)

Adrenaline

(Adrenaline #1)

ADRENALINE Murder is the ultimate rush When patents start dying unexpectedly in the O.R. at Mercy Hospital, anesthesiologist Doug Landry finds himself the focus of the blame. Is he really incompetent or is there some- thing more sinister going on? As Doug struggles to clear his name and unravel the secret of the mysterious deaths, it becomes clear that someone will stop at ...more
Kindle Edition, Revised Edition, 283 pages
Published December 3rd 2013 (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Adrenaline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adrenaline

Start your review of Adrenaline (Adrenaline, #1)
Jennifer Powell Bowling
Fast paced medical thriller. It was hard to put down and really gets inside your head. Being a nurse, the medical jargon and the "God complex" of certain doctors were not new to me. Mr. Benedict does a great job of introducing you to hospital politics, but there are some parts that teeter on the edge of plausibility. I wouldn't want to read it if I were to have any upcoming procedures though.
Alicia Huxtable
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quite enjoyable

I quite enjoyed this, and although I worked out mostly whAt was happening about halfway through, the Book still had a dentists up its sleeve.
J&B Reviews
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would have given this 5 stars but....

I would have given this 5 stars but....

This was a good thriller with believable characters, decent action and interesting plot. The one thing that really bothered me was that 'Mercy' hospital seemed to lack any security like no cameras or guards during the pivotal ending where gun shots are fired and loud arguments are taking place. Really?
Debra Jeakins
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ADRENALINE BY JOHN BENEDICT is literally a heart stopping thriller! Its a good thing I am not having anesthesia any time soon! Anesthesiologist literally hold a patients life in their hands. And in ADRENALINE,patients are dying because someone is messing with the anesthesia in surgeries.

ADRENALINE is a heart stopping thrill ride. Just when you think you have got the killer figured out,the twist and turns start in and you are sitting there saying , what happened? I love these kind of thriller/my
kathy bracy
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb

A truly amazing medical thriller. Dr John benedict is An exceptional writer. As an anesthesiologist, he not only knows the subject intimately, but has that very rare talent as a writer to give enough details that non medical people (like me) can fully enjoy the book. This book also shows the real pressure faced by medical staff, possible drug misuse, extra marital romance is tempting, takeovers where some are reluctant to give up their positions. The characters are very believable and you
Annemarie
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Adrenaline and it definitely won't be the last John Benedict book that I read. I was kept on my toes wondering who was deliberately trying to sabotage the operations with no thought as to the safety of the patients. Then to murder those coming close to exposing the culprit. A great read for those loving medical mysteries.
Joyce McKune
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heartrending medical thriller.

Several of the anesthesiologists have unexpected, unexplanable problems with there cases. One fatal. A med student, raised in an orphanage is getting close to some of them while searching for information on his mothers death. She had been a nursing student at this hospital when she died in an automobile accident.
Bobbie
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adrenaline had me from the 1st page! This was a fast paced and thrilling journey into a world of medical drama's, dilemma's, and hospital politics. It takes you into a world of things that could possibly happen. I absolutely loved this book and will read everything by John Benedict!! I finished 2 of his books in 2 days! On to book 3 now!!!!
Joyce
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fast paced, action packed medical thriller. Unexplained deaths occurred in the OR and an Anesthesiologist begins to look into them. More deaths occurred outside the Hospital, all not making any sense. Eventually everything climaxes in the OR. Well done and well plotted. This is the kind of novel you stay up late to finish.
Julie
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

This was such a riveting book! I started this afternoon and couldn't put it down until I finished! It kept me captivated from the beginning! I knew how parts of it would play out, yet there were so many others that I had no idea!! I couldn't believe how captivated I was throughout the entire book! A book I would recommend to any who want a medical drama/thriller!!
Tina
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

I choose the rating because the book was great, kept me on the edge trying to figure out who the murderer was. Felt a connection wit the story because I knew the area which he was describing.
Teresa Perrott
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fast Paced Action

Fast paced through out the story with many twists and turns. Can you guess who the saboteur is before the shocking revelation at the end of the book. Who is Rusty and what is he trying to find out?
Vickie Knob
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had me on the edge of my seat from the beginning. Although I figured some things out, it still held my attention and intrigue to the end. I could tell this author knew what he was talking about (he's a doctor) and even though I don't know terms, etc. I appreciate the fact that he does. Fast, fun and intense.
Steve Pillinger
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes, just as good as Robin Cook. A page-turner with many plot twists and sympathetic characters.
Terri
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was the first book I've read by John Benedict & WOW. I couldn't put it down! The plot was clear & fast paced but, for me, the hilight of the book was the unique insight he shared when the doctors in the book fought for the lives of their patients. The Medical Thriller genre is my favorite & I've read more in this category than I can remember but this was the first time I felt an actual chill up my spine as one patient "woke up" during her surgery (not a spoiler). The ability he has to share ...more
Adele D. Adams
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Impossible to put down! I can't wait to read the next book!

An a amazing medical thriller right up there with Robin Cook. Don't hesitate to get this book, you will not be disappointed.
Uma Van Roosenbeek
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Picked this book without any expectations. What an enthralling experience! An incredible storyline with a gripping pace kept me glued to the book. The characters are extremely down to earth, extremely real, well etched and ones that the reader easily identifies with, feels the exhilaration, despair, fears and the thrill of the characters. The conversation between the people makes it very down to earth and endearing as it brings their human nature and weaknesses to the fore. The turn of events wa ...more
Leah Speller
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Ok so I wish there was a tag that says "did not finish." I was at over half the book and already knew what was going on and was tired of the tired old tropes. The wandering doctor's eyes goes too far...and I could say a lot more but if you wish to try the book I don't want to tell all. That would not be fare to you.

The only thing I can say is that I just could not get into this book and found myself finding other was to spend some of my time just so I did not pick up my tablet to read. For me th
Alexis
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No question, John Benedict knows of what he writes. On one hand that is great - the reader has an insiders view of hospital administration and Anesthesiologists. On the other hand, it slows the story a bit. Adrenaline has a solid story line and is an interesting mystery/suspense read. There are a few twists I didn't see coming, but some that were no mystery at all.

I did take away the impression that I need to be much more careful choosing my physician and asking questions, if I need anesthetics!
Kristen Chandler
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned

I like thrillers, and I really like medical thrillers, although I don't read a lot of them. There's something intriguing to me about how medical thrillers show you what could go wrong or make you think what if?

The storyline is excellent, with several subplots that come together throughout the book. Very believable and likeable (and some NOT likeable) characters. The only negative thing I can say about the book is that it moved a little slow to me in the beginning. But trust me when I say: When
Teri
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Who knew a book about anesthesiologists would be so suspenseful! I thoroughly enjoyed this book with all of its twists and turns. As I came to like some of the characters in the book, despite their flaws, I couldn't wait to get to the end of the book to find out the final outcome. I read this book on my Kindle and I read from my Kindle while pedaling away on my exercise bike. I had no problem hitting my peak pace while reading this book because I tend to speed up when I read something with a lot ...more
Linda Kain
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Medical Thriller

I really enjoyed reading this book. The writing is easy to read and the plot is scary. We place a lot of trust in the medical profession and this book shows
you what can go wrong for various reasons. It also shows the tremendous amount of strain a doctor goes through working long hours.
This is a good suspense book with an interesting plot that will keep you reading until the very end. You will need to set a block of time to read this book because you won't want to put it down o
Deborah Kilduff
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Adrenaline, by Dr. John Benedict. It was a gripping medical thriller with a lot of twists and turns. This book held my interest from beginning to end. I normally do not pick up procedural novels because they tend to be a bit too technical to read easily. I think the author created a good mix of the suspense of a mystery and the realities of medicine. The characters were well developed and interesting. I look forward to reading Dr. Benedict’s next novel.
Patricia Grogan Bugher
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow! This was a scary medical thriller. I loved it. I gave it four stars, instead of five, because, at the end there is a vicious fight with guns being fired inside the hospital and no one hears it! Really? I just find that so unrealistic. Surely, even a private hospital has some sort of security! But, other than that, this is a fabulous book! If you like Robin Cook’s books, you should love this one!
Debbie Carnes
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE medical thrillers and this one was wonderful.

I had a very hard time putting this down. From the first page the suspense gets you.

I've read just about every Robin Cook book out there and this is right up there with those.

Great book John Benedict. I already got the second book waiting for me to read.
Theresa
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Medical novel

Loved this book as much as I did the second book.Lost sleep finishing it. Anyone who likes books on the medical profession will love this two book series. Can't wait for his next novel.
Heather L
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great little thriller. A little journey through the ins and outs of an anesthesiologist's life. Not to mention, a little corruption and drama added to the plate. A lot of medical terminology, daily doctor struggles, and drugs are learned with this one. I love when a freebie turns out this well.
Connie Pierce
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
It has been a while since I read a medical thriller so this was a nice change of pace. That being said, there was an awful lot of medical terminology that was lost on me. It really didn't change what I thought of the book, I just skipped over it. The ending was exciting and appropriate.
Dawn Pittman
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
very good book, hard to put down....just a few things seemed strange, in the middle of a hospital, guns going off, but no one hears! no security or anything!
a drug room is left open and unattended for an extended period of time!?
But all in all great book!
Robert C. smith
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent writer!

It's always a pleasure to read a cleverly written novel with lots of spell-binding twists and turns. Dr.Benedict blends in a variety of interesting facts and terms with suspense, intrigue and a bit of humor. Thanks!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Taste of Fear
  • Slow Bleed
  • The Anonymous Source (Alex Vane #1)
  • The Watcher (Bigler County #1)
  • The Missing (A Riveting Kidnapping Mystery Series Book 11)
  • Against The Odds (Anna Dawson's Vegas, #1)
  • Bound (The Witches of Doyle #1)
  • Stress Fracture (Dub Walker, #1)
  • Steeped in Murder: A Tea and Tarot Cozy Mystery
  • The Legend of Devil's Creek
  • Deadly Evidence (Jessie Black Legal Thrillers, #3)
  • Borderline (Lassiter/Martinez Case Files, #1)
  • Do No Harm
  • Black Jasmine (Lei Crime, #3)
  • Blaze of Passion: Firefighter Romance Novel
  • Torch Ginger (Lei Crime, #2)
  • Dear Crossing (Ray Schiller #1)
  • The Advocate
I work as an anesthesiologist and spend a good part of my life putting other people to sleep for all kinds of surgery. It's very interesting and exciting--I get to interact with and help a lot of people in many different situations. However, the hours are tough (24 hour call shifts) and it can be a bit stressful!

One day it struck me-- people place an extraordinary amount of trust in their anesthes

Adrenaline (2 books)
  • The Edge of Death (Adrenaline #2)

News & Interviews