Start by marking “Not the Life It Seems: The True Lives of My Chemical Romance” as Want to Read:
Not the Life It Seems: The True Lives of My Chemical Romance

Not the Life It Seems: The True Lives of My Chemical Romance

My Chemical Romance is the most significant band in alternative rock in the last decade. Inspirational, original, and stunningly creative, they forged an extraordinary connection with their fans. Not the Life It Seems: The True Lives of My Chemical Romance is their definitive biography.

Author Tom Bryant has been given unparalleled access to the band over the years, and now
Published September 30th 2014 by Da Capo Press (first published September 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Not the Life It Seems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not the Life It Seems

Christy Rasmussen
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Written by someone who was on very good terms with the band, the author was able to get a remarkable amount of collaboration on what is an unofficial biography.

The book is focused and interesting. It gives good insight, not just on the band members, but on the scene surrounding them.

Definitely a must-read for fans of this iconic band.
Peri W 3
This was an amazing book. I cried a total of four times, because I didn't know that the story of the band was actually like this.
You know you've hit rock-bottom when you read a book about your favorite band.
Elon Slootweg
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This one was an experience. Tom Bryant grants us all access to something fans of My Chemical Romance have so desperately been waiting for, for so long - information. This book gives us an idea, a view of the band behind, as well as in front of, the scenes. It explains, soothes and hurts those who have been heart-broken ever since the break op of the epic band. The last chapter, the last words, left me in tears, but they were good tears, because it hurt, but at least there was something like clos ...more
Gabi
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
My Chemical Romance is one of my favorite bands so I really wanted to read Not the Life It Seems: The True Lives of My Chemical Romance because I wanted to know the background behind the band. I do really like this book because the author goes into great depth of the history of the band and the members of the band and their lives but there is one aspect of the book that is hard to look over and that is that the author tends to repeat himself very often. He will state something in one paragraph a ...more
Lauren Evatt
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought this biography was quite a bit of fun to read and was very insightful. As a fan of My Chemical Romance I found the descriptions of how they made each of their records to be very informative. I enjoyed reading the many quotes and interviews and adored the photos in the middle. I also thought that the author did an excellent job of conveying what was going on around MCR at the time which is really helpful for someone who wasn't there when it happened. Overall I loved this book and would ...more
Megan
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm a My Chemical Romance fanatic. I thought I knew every single detail about this band. With that being said, I learned so much from Tom Bryant's book about them.

The only reason I gave this book 4 stars was because I felt he could have dug deeper. There were no new revelations on why Matt Pelissier was kicked out of the band, why Bob Bryar was kicked out of the band, why they parted ways with their manager, or what happened involving Mike Pedicone. I wish Bryant had dug deeper.
Baby
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm honestly just sitting here crying because I miss this band so much and they mean so much to be still after all these years. It's a scary thought to think I might never be able to fully move on from this band.
Violet
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic. I read as many interviews with MCR as I could as they came out over the years and this book brought back a lot of small details I had forgotten about. Bryant captures the band very well and reading this was a pleasure.
Channah Carpenter
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I love this freaking book so much. I'm so glad I found this.
Abby K
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel that this book is a must read for all fans! No matter how much you think you know about this band,you are destined to learn more. You will appreciate them more after reading this!
Layaly DiGiovanni
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My chemical romance is one of my favorite bands. Now after reading this, I understand more about them and their music.
Abbie Roalsvig
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is a biography about my favorite band called My Chemical Romance and it was very well written. It gave details about the band's story, the band members' lives and the songs they created over the years. The biography told me about the history of My Chemical Romance from the beginning to the end. The members of the band include lead vocalist Gerard Way, his brother and bassist Mikey way, and guitarists Ray Toro and Frank Iero. Not the Life It Seems tells about their journeys ...more
Matt Stevens
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found this book a pleasure to read. Very well written with plenty of quotes from the band members, producers, and those surrounding them.
Truly, this story is a great reminder that what we see or think might not be all there is to it. "I want that life."
Are you sure? Are you sure you want everything you think you do?
Shiloh
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
For my review please visit my blog.

Book Review: Not The Life It Seems: The True Lives of My Chemical Romance | Diary Of A Book Worm Artist
Melis Senkaya
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been a huge My Chemical Romance fan for YEARS as they were my favourite band.
This book really goes in depth of the live of the guys, the tours, and the music. It's emotional, it's funny, and there's so much I learned about my favourite band.
Absolutely love this book.
Tyler Nelson
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book gives very insightful details on each of the band member's lives and how the band changed them for the better. This is one of the best biographies I have read and is incredibly well written and gives insightful interviews with each member. A must read for any My Chemical Romance fan.
Helena Iero
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I absolutely LOVE this book! It covers the entire story of My Chemical Romance and contains super good black and white pics of the band. Even if you're just a casual fan or just like band biographies, you will love it.
Gabriel Sears
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book covers the bands entire career, from their humble beginnings in New Jersey, to headlining Reading and Leeds festival. An excellent read for any die hard fan of this amazing band.
Adrian
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it covers everything I could want to know about My Chemical Romance and more.
Varjokirjat
Seth Ransom
Jan 06, 2018
Mikaila Quinn
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a My Chemical Romance fan I went into this bio not really sure what I was getting into because it is not authorized. I knew quite a bit of their history so I would have been able to tell if some stuff was fact or fiction. After reading a few MCR bio's I have to admit that this one is one of best.  Bryant is a writer for music magazines like Kerrange,  Alternative Press and has been given lots of access to the band as they conquered the world with their music.

Bryant is on good terms from the b
Ashley
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Space Opera
  • Turning Life into Fiction
  • Adobe Lightroom 6 / CC Video Book: Training for Photographers
  • Play Like You Mean It: Passion, Laughs, and Leadership in the World's Most Beautiful Game
  • Psycho Busters 1
  • How to Care for Aging Parents
  • Bobby Flay's Barbecue Addiction
  • The Happiest Days of Our Lives
  • The Joy of Writing Sex: A Guide for Fiction Writers
  • Hair of the Dog to Paint the Town Red: The Curious Origins of Everyday Sayings and Fun Phrases
  • Dial M for Murdoch
  • The Lore of the Land: A Guide to England's Legends, from Spring-Heeled Jack to the Witches of Warboys
  • Angels of Death: Inside the Biker Gangs' Crime Empire