Start by marking “Chocolate Girls (Chocolate Girls #1)” as Want to Read:
Chocolate Girls (Chocolate Girls #1)

Chocolate Girls

(Chocolate Girls #1)

Three very different women work together at Cadbury's Bournville factory, and their lives become entwined by war and work - and a child called David.

Edie, the main character, marries young to escape her unhappy family home. Widowed at 19 and, after losing her child from the marriage, she faces the war grieving and lonely. Then one night during the Blitz, an infant mysterio
Published May 2nd 2008 by Pan (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Chocolate Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chocolate Girls

Start your review of Chocolate Girls (Chocolate Girls #1)
G.J.
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww2
This was a book about 3 women living and working in Birmingham. The time frame was from 1939 to 1959. It follows the paths of three young women Edie, Ruby and Janet and tells of the hardships of that time, both in terms of relationships and the effect of the bombing during the war. The difficulties of their men going off to war and the women having to face all the problems that entailed. It covers such topics as miscarriages, childbirth, domestic abuse but also love,friendship,loyalty and the bo ...more
Shirley Revill
Loved every word that was written on the pages of this book. Recommended.
Dana Suaifan
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Love the book it's a historical fiction. The characters. My favorite characters were Edie and Francis (bless them). It was nice to read a book about a family who lived through WWII in England. The 3 main characters Edie, Ruby and Janet went through a lot. Edie lost her husband months after their marriage and her child right after labor, she then adopted a child that was rescued from a bombed home and then turns out to be Jewish and he leaves her after she raised him and gave him everything she c ...more
Bodosika Bodosika
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
THE CHOCOLATE GIRLS: This was an interesting story of three women whose lives were woven together by love and war;Though it started slowly and gradually gathers steam an at the end it was worth every minute of my time spent reading it.
Coyney
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love love love these kind of books
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a captivating story about three young women growing up in England at the outbreak of World War II. Despite family conflicts, immigrating to other countries, enduring hardships and heartbreaks, these three women manage to maintain their friendship.

The story has an 'English' accent through the use of local dialect language and British terminology, as well as landmark references. Ms. Murray successfully interweaves the families' histories through the decades to keep the reader wondering how
Bronwyn Rykiert
The Chocolate Girls are Eadie, Ruby and Janet. Eadie & Ruby started working on the lines at the Cadbury Chocolate Factory in Birmingham when they were both 14 and Eadie met Janet, who works in the office during WWII.

Eadie had a horrible home life so as soon as she was able to, at 19, she married her boyfriend Jack. Tragedy stikes early though and Eadie loses Jack and not long after she loses the baby she was carrying. While doing her voluntary work one night she is given a baby who was found out
Josie
Jul 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
Suzanne
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it. It was so intriguing and it just kept on going. I hate the thought of parts of the story being true especially about the German war camps. It was great to see everyone becoming part of a family. Now onto reading part 2.
Ines Norton
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gostei muito deste livro e gostei da escrita de Annie Murray, fiquei agradávelmente surpreendida com o livro e quis logo comprar a continuação no As Novas Meninas do Chocolate, recomendo a leitura e prometo reler este livro.

-----

I loved this book and enjoyed Annie Murray's Writing, it pleased me enormously and went right away to buy the second one, so I recomend and will de re-reading it soon...
I Read
Apr 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1940s
I really enjoyed this book because it incorporated two of my main interests: Chocolate and the war years! However, i don't know whether it would have enough to hold your attention if you didn't feel the same.
Debbie
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I fell in love with this book at the start because I grew up in Northfield, Birmingham right next door to Bournville. In fact, when it rained you could smell the chocolate cooking and we heard the carillon every day! I thoroughly enjoyed it until about two thirds the way through and then it see,ed that Ms Murray added unnecessary detailed descriptions of Edie's clothing or what Anatroli was wearing that day. It seemed as if she had been given a target length for the book by the sponsors (Cadbury ...more
Tracey
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read! Really enjoyed this. It had personal references for me as my beloved gran used to work at Cadbury’s and we lived near the factory in the same era that the story is set. It was great to read the sayings and witticisms again. Unexpectedly has a twist with the Jewish community that I was also able to relate to. I found the characters believable and well developed throughout the story and enjoyed the pace of the events depicted.
Jose Santos
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
It was a nice reading. It was interesting to know more about how the Birmingham's people dealed with the 2nd World War bombings and all the society information about what was going on in that time. I also found interesting to know how was the Cadbury's chocolate factory.
The story of the three girls, her lives and relationships were fine., interesting enough to keep me reading it untill the end.
It's a good and feminine book. Not my personal likes, but a good reading.
Tiffany Johnstone
Absolutely brilliant. Edie is the main character at the heart of the story. She is absolutely amazing at what she endures. She suffers the loss of a child. It hits her very hard. One terrible night, during the blitz, she is handed an infant, which she loves with all of her heart. She keeps him protectively close, But as he starts growing up David ask questions about where he comes from, She starts to panic that she will lose him. It is a heartwarming book.
Barb
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wish I could make this a 6*. Three young women Edie, Ruby and Janet growing up in England during the Blitz in World War II. They all worked at Cadbury Bournville factory. Edie is the main character. And then there is the little baby David....but if you remember Emma Hart from Woman of Substance, Francis, Janet's mom is another woman I will never forget, a Quaker with a beautiful heart.
Layla Ashby
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this book years ago. Iv just seen on here there is another book in the series which I haven't read I thought the book was a standalone. Even though I read this book many years ago I look forward to re reading this again, in the knowledge that there is another book in the series, first time reading this I found it very hard to put down loved it.
Gail
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book reluctantly. Loaned by a friend, I was sure it was not my kind of book.
However, looks are sometimes deceptive. This is a well written book, feels authentic ( I’m a Midlands Baby Boomer so recognise many aspects of the life she describes). Well researched and covering aspects of WW2 that I had given little consideration to.
A jolly good read.
Trudie
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
this book is set in Birmingham during ww2 to begin with and follows the lives of 3 friends who work at Cadbury. I didn't realise it was set over such a long time period though. I really enjoyed this and hope the sequel is just as good!
Julie Ann Dyche
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic story line really enjoyed it

Really loved the fact that the book was written in the area where i grew up and work. Really enjoyed the story, beautifully written, can't wait to read another of Annie's books
Jeanie
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good WWII novel about 3 co-worker friends in the Cadbury Chocolate Factory. Their families, loves, trials. I really enjoyed it.
Mrs A Duarte
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crossroad of stories.

Interesting book full of stories spanning the second world war. Very good intermingling life experiences of girls working for Cadbury's.
Maureen
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Love how this book is set in Birmingham around war time and after, loved all the characters and how some found romance and happiness
Judi Mckay
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes sagas
Gave me a good understanding of the lives of women in the UK during the war. A good 'saga'
Jacqueline Carpenter
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent,informative, interesting story. Thoughtful, understanding and sympathetic. Loved it !
Veronica
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It was a lovely book
Gillian
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first book in the series. You get wrapped up in the characters and feel like you are actually there! Brilliantly written. I didn't want it to end.
Donna Chadwick
Author: Annie Murray
Title: Chocolate Girls
Genre: Contemporary Fiction, Family Sagas, Historical Romance, Historical Fiction, Family, Saga, Romance, Fiction, Historical, Contemporary,

I was given this book.

This book has 384 pages and 62 chapters

I would tell people that you should step outside your comfort zone with books because it is good to add more authors and genres to your reading portfolio. Even if you do not read books like this.

I highly recommend this book.

I normally read books of this gen
Katie
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. I liked it because it's written over years and you get to follow the characters through the story of their lives. I liked the characters and all the different twists and turns in the plot. It was just lovely. The only thing I would say is that the only link there is with the chocolate factory is that the main characters met there. It has little prominence in the plot and that aspect gets left behind if that's what attracted you to the book.
Clare O'Beara
Chocolate making is central to the setting as Cadbury's chocolate makers in Bourneville, Birmingham, is where three girls meet and chat as they lead busy lives around their jobs. The factory was run by Quakers who established a village of good housing, a green space around their site and continued education for the young people who came to work with them. Other mentions include free art classes and trips, and a cocoa van sent around during the WW II bombing to sustain workers and bombed out citi ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Must read 1 2 Jan 28, 2015 04:00AM
fab book 1 6 Feb 18, 2013 02:21PM

• The Girls from the Local
  • The Children from Gin Barrel Lane
  • Moonlight and Ashes
  • The Little Angel
  • The Women of Mulberry Lane (Mulberry Lane #5)
  • The District Nurses of Victory Walk (The District Nurse #1)
  • Far From Home (Beach View Boarding House/Cliffehaven #2)
  • Where the Heart Lies (Beach View Boarding House, #4)
  • Snow Angels (Lovely Lane #5)
  • Keep Smiling Through (Beach View Boarding House 3)
  • Love and Marriage at Harpers (Harpers Emporium #2)
  • Rainy Days for the Harpers Girls (Harpers Emporium #3)
  • The Nightingale Girls (Nightingales #1)
  • Custard Tarts and Broken Hearts
  • Wartime at Woolworths (Woolworths #3)
  • The Ferry Girls (Ferry Girls #1)
  • Lights Out Liverpool
  • The Allotment Girls
Annie Murray was a ‘childhood writer.’ Her career was helped a great deal by belonging to Tindal Street Fiction Group in Birmingham and by winning the SHE/Granada TV Short Story Competition in 1991. She has published short stories in a number of anthologies as well as SHE magazine. Her first regional saga, Birmingham Rose appeared in 1995 and reached the Times bestseller list. She has since publis ...more

Chocolate Girls (2 books)
  • The Bells of Bournville Green (Chocolate Girls #2)