Jump to ratings and reviews

Brides of Ohio: Three Historical Tales of Love Set in the Heart of the Nation

50 States of Love: Brides of Ohio -- Visit Ohio in the latter half of the 1800s, when rebuilding the country also involves rebuilding lives stripped of hope. Katherine has lost her home, Adele has lost her husband, and Anne has lost her dreams. Can each have their joy restored when in romances with men who are also deeply wounded by their own pasts? Find out in this inspiring three-book collection by author Jennifer A. Davids.

400 pages, Paperback

First published September 1, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jennifer A. Davids

6 books57 followers
Jennifer has been writing stories since she got an A++ on her ninth grade creative writing assignment. A member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and a graduate of The Ohio State University, she makes room to write in between being a busy wife and mom and despite the fact her cats like to walk in front of her keyboard. You can also follow her on BookBub here: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/jenni...

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (3%)
1 star
2 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews
Profile Image for Gretchen Fatouros.
Author 3 books3 followers
July 31, 2018
3 stories in this one book. First two, are right after the civil war & take place one after the other. It is interesting to see how people dealt with everything that happened. The soldiers to everyone else. And the way they treat a southerner in the north...

3rd Book is 18 years later. It ends a bit more abruptly than the first two. Third one had more sad parts, too.

So ends the stories of the Kirby family...
21 reviews
November 2, 2019
I really like the story telling in this book, how one story was connected to the next. It was very uplifiting and left you with a warm feeling inside. Maybe a too close to being a Hallmark movie. If like the Love Comes Softley books you will enjoy this one.
90 reviews2 followers
August 29, 2020
3 love stories placed after the Civil War. Each one entwined with the other. Really good timeline with actually historic accuracy entwined with the stories. Strong women who had to deal with so much change and loss during their lives but still held on to their faith.
20 reviews
November 15, 2021
What a unexpected delight to come across this book! As a fellow Ohioan I loved all the Ohio historical tidbits sprinkled in the stories. Three beautiful love stories with faith filled hope. I’m excited to read more from this author.
Profile Image for Janelle.
607 reviews
May 11, 2020
This review appears on my blog: https://confessionsofabookwormweb.wor...

Brides of Ohio is a bind up of three novels written by Jennifer A. Davids that were originally part of the Truly Yours series that was published several years ago. Each book can be read on its own, but they are also interconnected in various ways. I will give a review for each novel, and then at the end I will give an overall review of the collection. However, just a fair warning that there will be spoilers in the reviews, especially for the second and third books in the bind-up because there are certain events from each book that explain something that happens in the next book. Without further ado, here is my review for Brides of Ohio by Jennifer A. Davids.

Yankee Heart

In Yankee Heart we meet Katherine Wallace who has just moved from South Carolina to the northern state of Ohio at the tail-end of the Civil War due to her sympathies to the Union. However, she faces a lot of backlash from the small community that she moves to because she is a Southern belle. However with the help of her friend, and her friend’s nephew, Daniel, who was a soldier for the Union she comes to love the new community and even find love. Overall I felt that this story was equal parts sappy but also intriguing, especially to read about the end of the Civil War and how people reacted to Abraham Lincoln’s death. One of the most poignant scenes was when Katherine and Daniel attend Lincoln’s funeral procession in Columbus and just the impact that it has on both of them. I also enjoyed how Daniel did not hold the fact that Katherine was from the South against her and even tried to stick up for her. 3.5/5 Stars

Wounded Heart

Wounded Heart picks up several months after Yankee Heart and follows Daniel’s brother Jonah who was thought to have been dead, but was actually a prisoner of war. He is suffering from PTSD, however his behavior causes some alarm with his surviving family members who think that it might be best for him to go into an insane asylum. However, childhood friend and recent widow, Adele decides to marry him in order to spare him from going to an asylum. Their marriage starts out rocky, especially since it seems to be only a marriage of convenience, but as time goes by both start to love each other, however there are several different factors that keep them from admitting it to each other. This was a good story, I felt like both characters were fleshed out really well. I also appreciated how there were some difficult topics that were discussed such as PTSD and how it was misunderstood back during this time period. 3.5/5 Stars.

Restored Heart

Restored Heart picks up almost 20 years after the events of Wounded Heart and it follows Jonah and Adele’s adopted daughter Anna. Anna has always known she was adopted but was told that nothing was ever known of her parents (however, her origins are discussed near the end of the previous book), but she discovers that that might not be the whole truth. When she discovers more about her past she realizes that no one will ever want to marry her with the kind of baggage she carries and has resigned herself to be a spinster. She then moves to a job at the University of Ohio in Columbus in order to get out her small town. Meanwhile Peter Ward is recently penniless after his wealthy grandfather’s death, rather than cave into his cruel uncle’s demands for the sake of a comfortable life, he decides to give up the rich lifestyle he is accustomed to in order to have freedom. He then ends up in Columbus with a job at the university as a groundskeeper. There he meets Anna, but he refuses to give into his attraction to her having given up his wild ways and living for the Lord. However, eventually both of them have a hard time denying their feelings for each other, but will it be enough? Again, this story was good, although not as captivating as the previous two stories, however it did provide a nice ending to the series at the end, although it did seem a little bit rushed. 3/5 Stars.

Overall, this was a sweet collection of three novels set in Ohio. While there was nothing spectacular about these novels, they were all good and I loved how they were connected to each other. I look forward to reading more novels from Jennifer A. Davids in the future, as well as reading more books set in one of my favorite states! 3.5/5 Stars.
Profile Image for Bhriv.
604 reviews24 followers
July 20, 2016
Brides of Ohio is a combination of three books written by Jennifer A. Davids.

Yankee Heart, written by Jennifer A. Davids, is the first book I’ve read by this author, but definitely not the last!
Katherine is from South Carolina and has come north to Ohio with her friend and neighbor, Mary, to help her as her sister is very sick and all of her family has gone to war. When arriving Katherine realizes how much she doesn’t fit into the Northerners lives. Resentment is deep toward her. Soon after arriving Mary’s sister passes away and her nephew, Daniel, arrives home from war….and the rest is history…
I loved how Davids describes the area in Ohio where Mary and Katherine moved and especially the trip that Daniel and to the Statehouse! I’ve been there and know what it looks like and yet I could see it all through the words of her book! Beautiful job!
My favorite character is Daniel. He’s had a rough time dealing with being a soldier and then when he comes back to Ohio he has to figure out how to be a farmer since he never wanted to be a farmer, but rather a professor at Ohio Wesleyan. Even though he’s gone through so much emotionally between war and the events after he returns to Ohio…he shows what a caring, considerate man he truly is.

Wounded Heart, written by Jennifer A. Davids, is the second book I’ve read by this author and the second book in this series with a three book series in Brides of Ohio.
This book continues within the lives of the Kirby family. In this story we find out about the happenings in Jonah Kirby’s life. Jonah has just returned from war and is having a war within himself every day. He struggles with fears that only those that have gone through war could ever understand…yet a friend from childhood…the friend that married his best friend, Nate…and the friend who had to deal with the death of Nate and figure out life as a widow with a small child—Adela—is the friend that offers an opportunity for Jonah to continue life on his farm rather than in an asylum. Because Jonah has fears, nightmares and has taken up walking everywhere with his gun, his brother, Daniel has decided he may have to commit Jonah to an asylum. Adela asks Jonah to marry her to keep him at home and protect him from himself and the fear others have for him. Secretly Jonah has loved Adela from their childhood, but has had to keep that love within himself because his best friend married her. Now that Nate is dead and Adela is HIS wife…can he figure out his love for her? First he must figure out how to live with the war waging within himself.
Davids once again bring a delightful story that turns its own pages as we just need to find out what is going to happen next with this Kirby family.

Restored Heart, written by Jennifer A. Davids, is the third book in the series Brides of Ohio. This story tells us more about the Kirby family. I think my favorite character is Peter. Peter was raised by his grandfather and finds that upon his death that his grandfather left him nothing in his will. Peter has to figure out how to survive and in the midst of that finds that being a womanizer and betting on horses will not be part of his life if he is as smart as his grandfather raised him to be. Peter is brought to his lowest and instead of falling further, he comes to know the Lord. It's a joy to read this character build his character as he tries to live a God-honoring life.

I was gifted this book in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Toni Shiloh.
Author 53 books1,058 followers
January 13, 2016
This collection houses ​Yankee Heart​, ​Wounded Heart​, and ​Restored Heart​.
Yankee Heart was a beautiful introduction to Ms. Davids' writing style. Her use of scripture had me highlighting them as well as the pearls of wisdom spoken from the characters relating to the Word.
Yankee Heart tells he tale of​ Katherine Wallace, who has decided to accompany her friend to Ohio during the Civil War. A Southerner in the North? You can pretty much imagine the reception she receives. Yet she is welcomed by the most unlikely party...a Union soldier.
Wounded Heart tells the story of Adele Stephens and Jonah Kirby, Daniel's brother from Yankee Heart. Jonah battles ptsd before they had a name for it and Adele is intent on helping him through it.
Restored Heart tells the story of Anne Kirby and Peter Ward. I really enjoyed this story as Peter battled overcoming his past after accepting Christ as his Savior. Anne also has to deals with her past, but she's trying to do it on her own accord instead of letting God guide her.
Overall, I really enjoyed the stories and I encourage you to pick up a Jennifer A. Davids' novel.
Profile Image for Johnnie Alexander.
Author 27 books368 followers
March 17, 2015
Buckeye Dreams is actually three love stories in one. As an Ohio native, I enjoyed the historical details of life in the years after the Civil War. The sweet and tender stories also touched on the trauma some soldiers experienced and the heartache this caused to their families.

I bought it because I loved the cover. So glad I did!
August 29, 2016
Reading about Christian women going through the joys and sorrows of their lives was inspiring. Descriptions of familiar places in Ohio after the civil war was very interesting. I enjoyed these stories.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.