Start by marking “A Land of Ghosts: The Braided Lives of People and the Forest in Far Western Amazonia” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The western Amazon is the last frontier, as wild a west as Earth has ever known. For thirty years David G. Campbell has been exploring this lush wilderness, which contains more species than ever existed anywhere at any time in the four-billion-year history of life on our planet.
With great artistic flair, Campbell takes us with him as he travels to the town of Cruzeiro do
Published March 8th 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published December 16th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Land of Ghosts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Land of Ghosts

Mikey B.
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazonia, nature
A well written book on the Amazon rain forest basin detailing the ecological diversity found there, without resorting to copious botanical and zoological aspects (i.e. species naming). One comes to appreciate and be made aware of the vast diversity and incredible number of species that co-exist within even a small area of the rain forest. It is literally an orgy of reproduction and a struggle to obtain light. There are vast towers of insects mating. There are enormous numbers of plants, insects, ...more
Haaze
Campbell's book is a blend of anthropology, biology and history as he explores one of the upper tributaries to the Amazon river. As a botanist he reflects back upon one of his expeditions collecting plants, but as a reader we also partake of the dramatic history and changes that have occurred in the region. It is a book that unravels complex connections in the midst of a multitude of lives. Campbell is very insightful and eloquently shares his experiences and wisdom of the region. It is a book t ...more
Jonathan
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
David G. Campbell, a scientist, talks about his trip trough the Amazon. His theme is that it is disappearing, and much of the book is him giving discriptions of seeing some kind of plant or some kind of animal. The book didn't seem to have much plot at all, and I was not a huge fan of it. If you don't speak Portuguese, then you will need to get some major usage out of the glossary in the back of the book.
Nick
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rainforests
This book contains the best, most evocative and beautiful descriptions of tropical rainforests and Amazonia I have ever come across and which I suspect I ever will. Campbell is an insanely good writer, I noticed that other reviews here complain of the books lack of plot structure and liberal use of Brazilian Portuguese vocabulary but I don;t think they understand this kind of writing.

I have visited the Amazon myself (in Ecuador) and written a lot the same kind of writing, so I'm familiar with th
Cathy
Feb 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Campbell is a biology professor at Grinnell who has spent a lot of time in the Amazon rainforest. This is a rather nice account of the place although there is a lot of biology jargon and unexplained Portuguese that gets annoying. The glossary is not much help, but the notes at the end of the book were sometimes more interesting than the book itself.
Bryan Jacobs
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! If for no other reason, read it for the writing. He is a phenomenal writer. Highly recommended.
Jill