Start by marking “The Winner's Kiss” as Want to Read:
The Winner's Kiss

The Winner's Kiss

(The Winner's Trilogy #3)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  33,152 Ratings  ·  5,145 Reviews
Some kisses come at a price.

War has begun. Arin is in the thick of it with untrustworthy new allies and the empire as his enemy. Though he has convinced himself that he no longer loves Kestrel, Arin hasn’t forgotten her, or how she became exactly the kind of person he has always despised. She cared more for the empire than she did for the lives of innocent people—and certa
Published March 29th 2016 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about The Winner's Kiss, please sign up.
Marie Rutkoski The publisher decided to keep the old cover (with the red dress) for the third hardback book. The new covers will be for the paperbacks. The hardbacks…moreThe publisher decided to keep the old cover (with the red dress) for the third hardback book. The new covers will be for the paperbacks. The hardbacks will match each other. So will the paperbacks.(less)
YA Novels of 2016
1,286 books — 9,597 voters
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
1,279 books — 6,906 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, arc, 2016
No battle is won without a good gamble.

This series has come a long way from its tame romantic beginnings in The Winner's Curse. The final installment finishes the series on an emotional, action-packed high, weaving in more game, winning and gambling metaphors to add to the running theme.

A couple of years ago, I was disappointed with the much-loved The Winner's Curse. The author had a good writing style that engaged the reader, but it was so tame! So much romance dampening the secrets, revenge
Steph Sinclair
Final books are hard. Readers dive in with so many expectations, hopes and fears, and let's not forget the ships. I suspect it must be at least a little daunting for an author to want to give their readers everything and stay true to their story. Friends, for me, Marie Rutkoski has done just that. This story has taken me on a remarkable journey, capturing my heart and and melting my emotions in one fell swoop.

The Winner's Kiss is a perfect conclusion to an expertly crafted series. And as always
Regan
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.5

sooooo gooooood
Victoria Schwab
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gods I love this series. Flawless.
Samantha
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book on one sitting. I have no regrets.
Renee Ahdieh
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
a beautiful end to one of my favorite series ever. quintessentially marie <3
Maggi
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm crying and screaming and laughing and shaking, I'm full of so many emotions but most of all just happiness; I can't believe this series is over, but I am so so overjoyed with how it ended. Review to come when I finally stop smiling like an idiot and my hands stop shaking.
Jen
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Before Reading: I'm going to need Arin and Kestrel kissing. Each other. A lot. Forever.

After Reading: NOT ENOUGH STARS IN THE UNIVERSE! LOVELOVELOVELOVE! This was beyond anything I could have imagined or asked for, for this book and these characters. Seriously. It was perfection. PERFECTION. Read it.

Dear Marie Rutkoski,

Thank you.

Thank you for this world and these characters and this story.

Thank you for showing that a girl's intelligence, tenacity, determination and cunning is every bit as appea
Katerina
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Marie Rutkoski isn't an ordinary author.
She's an artist.
“Later, Kestrel wished she had spoken then, that no time had been lost. She wished that she’d had the courage that very moment to tell Arin what she’d finally known to be true: that she loved him with the whole of her heart.”

The Winner's Kiss isn't an ordinary book.
It's a poem. A sad melody. The blood that pumps in your veins. The air that ruffles your hair.
It's a promise. A promise of love lost and found.
It is beauty, in its purest and
Dorreh
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
"He didn’t smile. He cupped her face with both hands. An emotion tugged at his expression, a dark awe, the kind saved for a wild storm that rends the sky but doesn’t ravage your existence, doesn’t destroy every thing you love. The one that lets you feel saved"

I finally finished this series! YAY!!!!

I promised myself no more reading until after my basic science exam, but I broke it. Shame on me!

I have this hollow feeling after reading this book, I loved it and all, but the ending left me kind of d
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
Are you really a boy, like Xash says? the god asked Arin. You’ve been mine for twenty years. I raised you.
The Valorian signed the scrap of paper.
Cared for you.
The message was rolled, sealed, and pushed into a tiny leather tube.
Watched over you when you thought you were alone.
The captain tied the tube to hawk’s leg. The bird was too large to be a kestrel. It didn’t have a kestrel’s markings. It cocked its head, turning its glass-bead eyes on Arin.
No, not a boy. A man made in my image…one who know
Lisa
Mar 03, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: gr-ya-fantasy
KISS WON'T BE ENOUGH OKAY I NEED THE WHOLE ENCHILADA IYKWIM
Simona Bartolotta
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-english
"Her worst trait. Her best trait.
Her mind ringed with hungry rows of foxlike teeth."

I have had to deal with heroines, or called so, of all sorts. The fierce, the whiny, the hotheaded, the softie-and-swoony. The ones who can fight and the ones who cannot, the ones who can think and the ones who cannot; princesses, commoners, magicians, assassins, many, so many of them, and all different one from the other, for better or for worse.
But none, none of them even compare to Kestrel. The one with the cu
description

“I want better choices.”
“Then we must make a world that has them.”

Doesn’t it feel good when you finish a really great book and you just stay still and thank God for what you’ve just read?

After this long year of anticipating this book, the only thing I can say is: wow.

Remember this review contain untagged spoilers so read at your own risk.

Marie’s writing style was as rich and fluid as always and the POVs intricate themselves into something heartbreaking and beautiful. The Winner’s Kiss was fas
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Satisfied with this ending =) ♥

So lets talk spoilers =)

So many things took a turn in this book.

Kestrel was found out! She had been supplying information to a spy for Arin and the Herrani. Of course, Arin didn't know this because Kestrel had to keep him at a safe distance. Otherwise he would do a dick move and get them all killed.

Arin is a twat at times and he thought everything Kestrel did to make him not like her was true. Men! So he decides he doesn't care for her any more. Yeah. . . .

Meanw
Sana
Rating has been raised to 2.5 stars.

*MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD*

I think I finally understand how my parents feel about me.

D I S A P P O I N T E D big fucking time man.

I feel like a totally different author wrote this book. Literally everything about this book seems so different and changed and you know what, I refuse to believe that this book is the ending to my most fucking favorite series (hint: The Winner's trilogy).

At the mines, Kestrel is given a drug with her meals and drinks that slowly make
Cody
The Winner’s Trilogy is without a doubt one of my favourite series ever, from its captivating writing, the incredible characters and those crafty plot twists, Rutkoski has proven with each new release that she can still leave us in a complete state of shock…. The same can definitely be said for The Winner’s Kiss; my dear friends, you may want to brace yourselves.

After the heart-breaking ending of The Winner’s Crime, Kestrel is in a barbaric work camp where she is drugged in order to work tirele
Warda
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread. Flawless as ever.

Original review.
"You don’t need to be gifted with a blade. You are your own best weapon."

Well, shit. This book!!!! My heart feel so heavy right now. I'm so sad that it's over!

The Winner's Kiss was absolute perfection for me, start to finish. Every page. My mind is all over the place at the moment, and I cannot find the words to declare my love for this trilogy or write a comprehensive review for it.

The things is, I didn't even expect it to become one of my favourite t
Sophia
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
this book is a fr*cking masterpiece. it is everything i could've dreamed it to be and more. there's not a thing i would change about this book.
☆☽Erica☾☆

I am writing this as a ghost because this book killed me.
I, Erica's ghost, have a lot of things to say about this but feel inadequate to verbalize my love/obsession/adoration/fascination with this spectacular story using coherent thought. Some other reviews somehow managed this, such as Nina's, Simona's, and Chantal's.

But I shall try.

To begin, I would like to say that I read this for about 7 hours straight. I ignored the existence of time to fulfill my addiction to this series, which is, hones
Sophie
I received an Advance Reader Copy via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

I'm sure it will be no surprise that I loved this book. I don't think I know anyone who hasn't loved this series, and when I found out that The Winner's Kiss was up on NetGalley, I requested it so quickly. I was in the library doing research for an assignment when I got the email came through that I'd been approved, and let me tell you, it was extremely difficult to keep my attention on civil war battles when I k
Giovanna
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddy-read
Buddy read with Lys <3
PRETTY MUCH PERFECT.

“He told himself a story.
Not at first.
At first, there wasn’t time for thoughts that came in the shape of words. His head was blessedly empty of stories then. War was coming. It was upon him. Arin had been born in the year of the god of death, and he was finally glad of it. He surrendered himself to his god, who smiled and came close. Stories will get you killed, he murmured in Arin’s ear. Now, you just listen. Listen to me.
Arin did."

You can't trust ma
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
Fellow readers and fangirls, I have come to preach to you the awesomeness that is this book, this series, this writer. And I’ve come armed. With words. And feels. And quotes.

feels photo: tumblr_inline_mfkq86L8zl1qg61c1_zps68a607fc.gif

The Winner’s Curse was a gentle introduction to the characters, the world and the romance. I loved it. The Winner’s Crime was a crescendo of court intrigue, sticky webs of lies and the first glimpses of war. I loved it. The Winner’s Kiss was a battle cry. I loved it.

I had astronomical expectations for this book, and it did
Stacee
After that ending of The Winner's Crime, I was dying to get my greedy hands on this book and I could never have expected what we got.

The feels start right from the beginning and it's a rollercoaster that lasts the entire book. I have loved Kestrel and Arin and I loved seeing how much they've grown from book 1. They're different, yet the same. And can I please get a novella or spin off with all of the Roshar? I floved every single scene with him.

Please excuse my vague review, I would never want t
Lara
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
“Arin pulled her onto his lap. He held her shaking form, tucked his face into the crook of her cold neck as she sobbed against him. He murmured that he loved her more than he could say. He promised that he would always choose her first.”

5 Shining Stars!

The Winner's Kiss is the best and the most emotional book in the series, so prepare your tissues before starting to read it! I was an emotional mess after The Winner's Crime and I'd thought that The Winner's Kiss can't make my situation any wor
Maureen
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This may even be 4.5/5 stars but it just wasn't quite there for me though it was prETTY STINKING CLOSE.

I am a ball of emotions guys. I cried MULTIPLE times in this book from lots of feELINGS.

Kestrel is seriously one of my favorite protagonists ever. She's smart strategically and doesn't let anyone tell her what she can and cannot do - and she's not *totally* adept at fighting, though she is competent, but her real strength lies in her amazing ability to play the political game.

I also love Arin,
Ninoska Goris
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Español - English

Tal como había predecido, este libro tiene un escenario totalmente diferente a los anteriores. Este es el más doloroso para los personajes, no sólo porque están en medio de una guerra, sino por sus situaciones individuales y como pareja.

El emperador se enteró que Kestrel no estaba haciendo lo que había ordenado y que era espía de los herranies en la corte y la desterró y envió como prisionera a las tundras hacer trabajo forzoso.

Arin ha conseguido aliados de los cuales no está s
Nastassja

Buddy read with my partners in suffering Katerina & Vera. Thank you, girls, for helping me survive this book *hearty hug*

Actual rating: 5+

You don’t need to be gifted with a blade. You are your own best weapon.”

If you know me, you probably know that my two most favorite book series are ending this year. The Raven Boys and The winner's trilogy. It's hard, because they finish a mere month from each other. An emotional blow. The Winner's kiss's time is up. It's the hardest review I have ever wr

emma
Well, cancel 2017.

What do you rate a book when you’re saddened to your core that you finished the series, but also you didn’t enjoy it and thought it was objectively not good? WHAT DO I DO? It’s like mourning a childhood friend who turned out to be a meninist, or a My Little Pony fan, or a fan of buttered popcorn-flavored jelly beans. You know, something definitively but somewhat harmlessly Bad™.

God, I love that gif. Okay. Okay okay okay. I’m going to try
  • The Lumatere Chronicles (Lumatere Chronicles, #1-3)
  • At the Going Down of the Sun (Sheridans, #1)
  • Burn (The Rephaim, #4)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen, #2)
  • This Shattered World
  • The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath and the Dawn, #2)
  • The Skylighter (The Keepers' Chronicles, #2)
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
  • Of Dreams and Rust (Of Metal and Wishes, #2)
  • Strange and Ever After (Something Strange and Deadly, #3)
  • Hidden Huntress (The Malediction Trilogy, #2)
  • Guardian Demon (The Guardians, #8)
  • Nemesis (Nemesis #1)
  • Ruined (Ruined, #1)
  • The Lily and the Cross (The Ring and the Crown, #2)
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
Marie Rutkoski is the author of the YA novel The Shadow Society and the children's fantasy series The Kronos Chronicles, including The Cabinet of Wonders, The Celestial Globe and The Jewel of the Kalderash. Her next project is a YA trilogy that begins with The Winner's Curse, which is scheduled to be published in March 2014.

Marie grew up in Bolingbrook, Illinois (a suburb of Chicago), as the olde

The Winner's Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1)
  • The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Jilo (Witching Savannah #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Line (Witching Savannah, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Void (Witching Savannah, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Girl on a Wire (Cirque American #1)
  • One Rainy Night
    $4.49 $0.99
“You don't need to be gifted with a blade. You are your own best weapon.” 233 likes
“Will you come with me?"
"Ah, Kestrel, that's something you never need to ask.”
125 likes