Start by marking “The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy, #2)

The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy #2)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  44,122 Ratings  ·  6,453 Reviews
Book two of the dazzling Winner's Trilogy is a fight to the death as Kestrel risks betrayal of country for love.

The engagement of Lady Kestrel to Valoria’s crown prince means one celebration after another. But to Kestrel it means living in a cage of her own making. As the wedding approaches, she aches to tell Arin the truth about her engagement... if she could only trust h
Published March 3rd 2015 by Farrar Straus Giroux

To ask other readers questions about The Winner's Crime, please sign up.
Sky NO, but parts are sad, I would say though that you should really try it.
Wanda Porter This augments what I knew. It shows a knowledge of mythology. It augmented what I thought. These answers help me to grow as a reader. I plan to do…moreThis augments what I knew. It shows a knowledge of mythology. It augmented what I thought. These answers help me to grow as a reader. I plan to do more with this and other novels. (less)

Kat O'Keeffe
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
EVEN BETTER THAN THE FIRST BOOK! I loved that we got more into world and the different cultures, and I loooooooved the relationship development between Kestrel and Arin! Even though it was a little frustrating at times, the tension and the angst just GAH IT HURT SO GOOD. I loved the characters, both old and new, and I loved the story and the conflict and the beautiful writing and I HATED/LOVED THAT ENDING. JEEZE.

So to sum up: I LOVED THIS. I thought it was a great second book that built wonderfu
Emily May
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, fantasy, young-adult, 2014
Marie Rutkoski has upped her game.

I was one of that annoying minority who didn't really like The Winner's Curse. I mean, it was okay, but proved once again that most writers of YA fantasy focus on the flirtations and romancing and forget about pretty much everything else. However, the way that book ended had me curious about the potential new directions of book two...

I was right to be curious. I was right to take my chances on the sequel.

This book just has everything. I would liken it to what Ma
Wendy Darling
Make your own book-inspired tattoos! Here's my tutorial + free download featuring quotes from this trilogy:

twc tattoo truth

-------------------------------------------------------------------

4.5 stars Marie Rutkoski is cruel to our little falcon, my friends. This book is filled with anger, betrayal, sacrifice, and yearning--not to mention secret messages, delicious cat-and-mouse dialogue, and despairing subtext. If you love impossible romances set against the backdrop of war, give this series a try--though be f
Steph Sinclair
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

feels

Love, love, loved it! My heart aches for book three. Review to come closer to release date.
Regan
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.25

OooooOOOooh things are gettin good people
Lola
description

3.5 stars. Oh la la, well that was unexpected. This sequel is darker, deadlier, less focused on the romance and containing a delicious addition of conspiracy and secrecy. A beautifully surprising change in the plot and its atmosphere.

Kestrel has it in her to rule a country. She is intelligent, fierce, full of courage and never recreant. Now, her abilities are not only evident and admired but necessary. She will marry the prince of Valoria and no one will stop this event from happening. That is w
Katerina
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
“I’m going to miss you when I wake up,” she whispered, because she realized that she must have fallen asleep under the sun. Arin was too real for her imagination. He was a dream.
“Don’t wake up,” he said.

I'm standing next to my window,allowing the near summer breeze to caress my face while I try to pull myself together,to ignore the feeling that I was stabbed in the heart by dozens sharp daggers.For your information Marie Rutkoski,the daggers would have hurt less.

“I don’t mind being a moth.
Marie Rutkoski
Sep 15, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
If you'd like to read the first three chapters, they are available for a sneak preview here: http://tinyurl.com/q8gk2a8

Love,
The author
Dorreh
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
So I reread this book, solely for the purpose of the new copy I got 2 days ago!

I'm a little shocked quite frankly that my rating didn't change after reading this book a second time.

Somewhere along the lines of good and evil, there is a thin band of nothing, I'd like to think of it as betrayal. And I think that was the ultimate theme exploited in this book. Wether it's a true kind of betrayal, one justified by the greater good or one simply because of ones own shortcomings in morality. The book
Sophia
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
march 3, 2015
~4:45 p.m. - i went to the bookstore to pick up the book i've been waiting for forever.
~4:50 p.m. - customer service man went to go dig around in the back to find a copy since THEY RUDELY WEREN'T ON ANY SHELF.
~4:56 p.m. - in this glorious minute, i finally held the winner's crime in my hands.
[insert irrelevant things like math homework and eating dinner but also insert relevant thing like reading]
~1:32 a.m. - finished the winner's crime.
~1:40 a.m. - found dead in bedroom.
~1:45 a.m
Giovanna
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read
NO TEARS LEFT HERE. MARIE WHY ARE YOU SO CRUEL?!

Uhm. I read this one with Lys (and you should read it with someone because, trust me, you'll need some kind of support) and discussed it with her in caps-locked, desperate comments. I'll write a full review sometimes today, meanwhile you are welcome to read those comments and judge.

“Yes, stop playing, Kestrel, she told herself. Clear the bets, clear the table. Walk away from the game. Now."

If I don't write a review now, I never will, so...I'm tryin
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Well, damn. And sigh . . . . .

I didn't like this book as much as I hoped. Never fear, I still liked it but . . . . .

So Arin FINALLY shows up at about 70? pages in and it wasn't the reunion I was hoping for. I know that Kestrel is trying to make sure nothing happens to Arin because if she tells him she's doing it all for him then he will go off and be a twat and ruin everything. But, it's still no fun.

And I was getting sick of hearing about this Risha girl, who gives a rats arse about her! Get
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Look, I liked the first book and all, but what the FUCK is with that cover? This is a high fantasy!
Maureen
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I SWEAR THIS BOOK WAS ABOUT TO MAKE ME HAVE A HEART ATTACK THE WHOLE TIME.
For me this definitely wasn't as good as the first, but was still pretty fantastic.
It was really great to see the further development of Arin and Kestrel and to see their interactions with other people but their interactions with EACH OTHER WERE SO STRESSFUL ALWAYS.
The world building wasn't as solid as the first book - I couldn't really imagine any of the places the action took place.
MUCH POLITICS, VERY INTRIGUE.
If my b
Warda
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reads
Reread x3. What a beauty of a book. A sequel.

————————

[Actual rating: 4.5]
Ugh, the feels! So good!! So much better than the first. The scope of this book got bigger and better. This story had so much more depth to it and was so well written. The plot was tighter, the political elements and its dirty game were stronger, it was darker, more gruesome. The first book is almost tame in comparison. Or is, actually. The characters were more developed and had a lot more layers and intricacy to them.

I
Emma Giordano
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars! While I didn't enjoy the sequel as much as book one, I did really like this book! What's funny is with The Winner's Curse, I was OBSESSED with the first half but my excitement faltered through the ending. With The Winner's Crime, I was somewhat bothered by the first half whether that be from slight boredom to outright frustration with characters, I was totally INTOXICATED by the second half! I'm so so happy I finally got around to picking up this series, and I'm really excited to see ...more
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)
THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO ME THE WINNER'S CRIME...

THAT ENDING TORE ME TO SHREDS. IT DUG IN DEEP AND RIPPED MY HEART OUT!! AND THE WHOLE TIME I WAS SCREAMING....

description

DON'T YOU REALIZE YOUR KILLING ME???

description

MY LOVE RAN SO DEEP.... I.... I....

description

AND... I CAN'T BELIEVE IT...

description

THIS IS HOW YOU REPAY ME??? TEARING MY HEART OUT WITH THAT ENDING???

(I MUST ADMIT, THE REST OF THE BOOK WAS EPICCCCCCC, A.M.A.Z.I.N.G)

description

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH...

description

OKAY, OKAY, LETS KEEP IT REAL...

YOU, MARIE RUTKOSKI, ARE
Update: 27/03/2016, waiting for the last book in the trilogy.

The Winner’s trilogy was an unexpected phenomenon for me. I heard about the first book and I went in without any expectation and ended up being absolutely in love.

Not only the writing style is rich but the characters are very loveable.

I like the traditions and just the whole world is quite interesting. The plot is fluid and the twists are on point.

I can’t say much except that I’m freaking excited for the last book.

_________________
emma
5/5

THIS IS WHAT I WANTED WHEN I PICKED UP THE WINNER’S CURSE.

This is The Winner’s Curse:

And THIS is The Winner’s Crime:

In short, THIS BOOK ROCKS. Arin is sort of just angsty all the time, which is eh, but Kestrel is a TOTAL BADASS. She just made it onto my all-time-favorite female characters list.

This book is yet another YA attempt at striking the balance between general badassery and romance, but this is the best take I’ve ever seen. Kestrel makes all de
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
If you’re new to this series… you better THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS that all three books are out. Because this? This book. WORST. CLIFFHANGER. EVER.

Let me tell you a little story about when I first read this book.

Poor Brittney was sick and stuck in her bed for several days last winter. She was all out of books except the first and second book of this series already purchased and waiting. So she started this series. Loved the first book. Was literally flying in the second book because holy batman
Sana
4.5 stars.

so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK

i swear rtc once im done dying

----------
bless my library for having this on their shelves when i went to check because lord that ending is killing me.
April
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series just gets better and better.
Ninoska Goris
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Español - English

Hacía mucho tiempo que no lograba descifrar un libro. Ninguno de mis posibles finales sucedió, en cambio quedó de una forma inimaginable.

Esto es lo que más me gustó de este libro, tiene un escenario totalmente diferente al primero, y estoy segura será diferente del tercero.

Tenemos a una Kestrel con una vida y preocupaciones totalmente diferente a cuando vivía en Herran. Es más humana, menos trivial, un tipo de heroina con resultados no siempre satisfactorios.

Trata de evitar m
Rebekah
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh the FEELS!!! Wow. Just. Wow. If you have read book one which is The Winner's Curse then you need to stop reading this, right now, pick up book one and read these 2 books. They are a MUST OWN, A MUST READ. You want a book that has everything? then look no further because this is it. AND THEY ARE CLEAN! There is romance to swoon for, adventure, political intrigue, lies, truths, heart breaks (reader and character), an amazing cast of characters that you just want to kill of and root for!

The sto
Jasmine 🌻
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
“I wanted to trust you,” he whispered. “I tried. But I couldn’t lie to myself hard enough.”

I was too absorbed in the story to mark anything in this book so I apologize for the lack of quotes in the following review. :P

The Winner's Crime is another fast-paced story with heart-wrenching twists of plot in the trilogy. All I remember is an abundance of political and military strategies among the soldiers and the main characters. Even though there are tons of unpredictable events in this book, wh
Ishmeen
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still like the first book more but there’s so. much. pain. in this one, can somebody heal my broken heart? 😭💔 I have never come across a romance this complicated far out I need a damn good conclusion and the third book now pls
Beth
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bumping this up to 4 Stars!

He knew it himself. He, too, wanted what he shouldn't. He, too, felt how the heart chooses its own home and refuses reason. Not here, he'd tried to say. Not this. Not mine. Never.

So this book for me was completely different from The Winner's Curse and I'm not saying that's a bad thing! There were a few elements that I really really enjoyed, and some things were so well done and well thought out! In this book though I really really missed the friendship between Arin and
Jessica
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist
4.5 stars Ugh this was exhausting to read. SO MANY LIES. Excited for the last book!
Natalie Monroe
"Arin and I are impossible," [Kestrel] said quietly. "Dangerous. It is best that we keep our distance from each other."

Trusted bloggers and reviewers told me and told me I'd love The Winner's Crime. "The stakes are so high," they raved. "It's miles better than its predecessor!", Your heart will be ripped into little-bity shreds!"

The stakes are high, alright, though not in the way you'd think.

Stakes: will Kestrel and Arin stop wallowing in self-inflicted angst long enough to have an honest con
Angela
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: badass-females
"I leap without feet to land, my cloth head is filled with sand. I have no wings, yet try to fly... what am I?"... The second and dramatic second book two of The Winner's Curse series perhaps mmmmm.....

I was very, very lucky to get an Arc of The Winner's Crime.

I know that when it comes to reading books I only care about one true thing, and that is how the book ends. I REPEAT: IT'S ALL ABOUT THAT ENDING! Doesn't matter if it's the first book or last book in a series. If you don't bring a strong
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Of Dreams and Rust (Of Metal and Wishes, #2)
  • Burn (The Rephaim, #4)
  • The Wondrous and the Wicked (The Dispossessed, #3)
  • Crushed (Soul Eaters, #2)
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
  • Their Fractured Light (Starbound, #3)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen, #2)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • Ruin and Rising (Grisha Verse, #3)
  • Skandal (Sekret, #2)
Marie Rutkoski is the author of the YA novel The Shadow Society and the children's fantasy series The Kronos Chronicles, including The Cabinet of Wonders, The Celestial Globe and The Jewel of the Kalderash. Her next project is a YA trilogy that begins with The Winner's Curse, which is scheduled to be published in March 2014.

Marie grew up in Bolingbrook, Illinois (a suburb of Chicago), as the olde
More about Marie Rutkoski

The Winner's Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1)
  • The Winner's Kiss (The Winner's Trilogy, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Third Kingdom (Sword of Truth Book 13)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Severed Souls (Sword of Truth)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Naked Empire (Sword of Truth, #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Warheart: Sword of Truth - The Conclusion (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Omen Machine (Richard and Kahlan, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“If you won’t be my friend, you’ll regret being my enemy.” 257 likes
“Sometimes you think you want something,” Arin told him, “when in reality you need to let it go.” 201 likes