Start by marking “High-Heeled Wonder (Killer Style, #1)” as Want to Read:
High-Heeled Wonder (Killer Style, #1)

High-Heeled Wonder

(Killer Style #1)

A 2015 Virginia Romance Writers HOLT Award of Merit recipient for outstanding literary fiction in the Best First Book by a Virginia Author category.

Published January 27th 2014 by Entangled: Ignite

To ask other readers questions about High-Heeled Wonder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High-Heeled Wonder

Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at The Book Nympho

Avery Flynn does a great job of mixing fashion, suspense and romance in High-Heeled Wonder .  I'm no stranger to Flynn's writing, this is the third book I've read by her. I went in thinking this will be a sexy, sassy and fun book. Then add in a touch of a thriller element and you have a winner. Think Sex in the City if Carrie was a fashion blogger with a stalker out to kill not only her blog but her.

Sylvie Bissette is the "High-Heeled Wonder", a fashion blogg
Michelle
Bogie Meets Gracie Lou Freebush and they “make it work.”

Disclaimer: I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. Then purchased the book for my private library.

Sylvie Bissette was the mastermind behind the popular, "High-Heeled Wonder," a blog that exposed all of the fashion industry’s dirty little, and not so little, secrets. Her scoops garnered her a huge fan base, the ire of both a magazine’s editor-in-chief and a self-absorbed, talentless designer and her very own cyb
Margaret
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a great romantic suspense set in the fashion industry. This book had everything in a story that I look for – snarky dialogue, lots of heat, a great mystery, and a sexy hero and strong heroine who just can’t deny the sparks that are between them.

As the un-named person behind the popular High-Heeled Wonder fashion blog, Sylvie Bissette tells it like she sees it in the fashion industry – not worried about making and keeping friends since she hides behind her High-Heeled Wonder persona. When Sy
twelvejan [Alexandria]
2 stars only.

*I received an ARC via Netgalley and Entangled Publishing*

Likes
1) Fast-paced, easy read
2) The deck scene
3) The fashion quotes at the beginning of each chapter

Dislikes
1) Fast-paced
2) Too short
3) Insta-ttraction
4) There wasn't a clear indication of whose POV I was reading. At first I thought was in Tony's mind, but then I realised I was reading Sylvie's POV when she began fantasising about running her hand up Tony's thigh.
5) Sylvie's nipples are perpetually hard, and she never let
Denise Always Awry
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Review can also be found on my blog.

First off thank you to Entangled Publishing for sending me an ARC of this book to read. Secondly, this is more a 3.5 than a 3 but goodreads still doesn't allow half stars.

This was a fast, easy and enjoyable read. It’s a beach type read. The big thing that bothered me was that I found the mystery part of the book too easy to figure out. I figured out early on in the book who was responsible for the various things and for me that took a bit away from the book.
Chris Bails
Jan 19, 2014 marked it as to-read
Love Avery Flynn. I loved this story and the characters and can't wait to see more of the others getting their stories.

This is the story of Sylvie, who is a successful fashion blogger. She has had some threats about her blog from someone and not sure who. Her fathers are both worried about her and are hiring security for her. This will help her be safe and also make them feel safe. They are bringing in one of the top Security Teams, and the Head of Security is Tony, whom she has met.

Tony is the
Kimberly Kincaid
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was super-lucky to get an ARC of this book, and all I can say is, hot, hot, hot! Sylvie and Tony steamed up my e-reader from the first page they were together, and it only got sexier as I clicked. The suspense plot had me hooked, and the great secondary cast rounded out another great offering by Flynn. Can't wait for the rest of this series!
Jodi Linton
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I want to go shopping now! Sylvie and Tony were a blast to read. I really enjoyed the banter between both the hero and heroine. The book had a great twist at the end *shush* that I won't mention here. AND- the heat between both characters sizzled off the pages. All in all, I would read another Sylvie adventure in a heart beat.

I was provided an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Kathy Altman
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Avery Flynn introduces her Killer Style collection with a saucy, sexy little number destined to be a hit on the romantic suspense runway. High-heeled Wonder is a clever, compelling, high-energy whodunit starring a heroine who isn't afraid to ask for what she wants—or who she wants—and a hero determined to keep things strictly business. Yeah, Tony, good luck with that—they don't call her Sylvie the Bulldog for nothing.

His thick, black hair, combed only by his fingers no doubt, touched the collar
Rachel
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
High Heeled Hit

Avery Flynn kicks of a new series in style with this story. This book had it all, romance, intrigue, snark, drama, gossip, hot sex, fun characters, killer fashion quotes, and a surprise at the end.

I absolutely loved these characters, Sylvie Bissette and Tony Falcon were so much fun to read. How could you not love a book that starts with the heroine about to hurl all over her sisters wedding dress and makes you want chuckle about it.

Sylvie was feisty, saucy, strong and had me in
Kathleen
Romance Level ~ 3.5 Stars
Heat Level ~ 3.5 Stars
Ending ~ 3.5 Stars
Overall Rating ~ 3.5 Stars

The beginning of this story was just enough to keep me interested. I liked the hero Tony and the heroine Sylvie and thought they had a fantastic back story. As the story moved along, I just felt that the romance and suspense were lacking. Then WHAM! Right around the 70% mark, this story finally picked up and captured my full attention. Th
Traci Andrighetti
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When Sylvie Bissette starts receiving hate email because of her fashion blog, High-Heeled Wonder, her two fashion-designer fathers call in the guards: Maltese Security. At first, the fierce fashionista resists the idea of a bodyguard. But then when Tony Falcon shows up and Sylvie recognizes him as the fiery hot Italian guy she’d confided in at her sister’s wedding about her ex’s shocking betrayal, she relents (after all, Tony put the “body” in “bodyguard”). As the threats against Sylvie’s life i ...more
TheGeekyBlogger
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read for Fun (Kindle Gift)
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.50

First Thought when Finished: High-Heeled Wonder was a combination of laugh out loud fun coupled with smexy action (a variety of suspense and hubba hubba time)!

Quick Thoughts for a Quick Read: Fun! Sylvia was an excellent leading lady with a smart mouth, quick thinking brain, and loyal to those she loves. Tony is the kind of man you want on your side and also the kind of man you want to see out of his clothes. S
Robin Covington
Full review to come!
MsChris1161
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, own, reviewed
HIGH-HEELED WONDER was crazy good!!! Never reading Avery Flynn's work before I didn't know what to expect and I have to say I was impressed. She is definitely on my must-read auto-buy author's list from now on. Her story line was well-paced, had more that one surprise and I'm not easily fooled. The writing flowed smoothly and includes great dialogue with plenty of humor and very witty banter. Her characters were well-developed and believable, the sexual chemistry and tension between Tony and Syl ...more
D.C.
Four Romp Stars!
Contemporary Erotic Romance
Release: January 21, 2014

ABOUT THE BOOK:
Sylvie Bissette may be one of Harbor City’s youngest glitterati, but only her best friends know her most closely guarded secret. She’s the woman behind The High-Heeled Wonder, a must-read blog for fashionistas everywhere. Gossip, fashion advice, exposés. Too bad some people can’t take a little criticism. When an internet troll discovers her secret identity and escalates from stalking her to threatening her life, S
Ramblings From A Chaotic Mind
High-Heeled Wonder is Avery Flynn’s newest release and it focuses on the tension filled fashion industry and the shady dealings that go down daily. As a fashion blogger with a lot of connections Sylvie knows all the ins and outs and writes snarky but informative blogs about everything and everyone fashion related. She’s made some enemies along the way but luckily only a few people know her true identity….until now. Someone is playing a dangerous game and threats against Sylvie are quickly mounti ...more
Jessica
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
After a very long week, I was in need of something fun and flirty to read. High Heeled Wonder fit the bill perfectly! A strong, sarcastic fashionista. A PI whose abs should be considered a deadly weapon. A mystery seeded deeply into the inner workings of the fashion industry. What's not love? I placed myself squarely into Sylvie Bissette's heels, and set off on what I hoped would be one smoldering adventure.

This was a quick read. Avery Flynn wastes no time pulling the reader into the tension fil
Lynn Reynolds
Rating: 4 1/2 stars

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and the author in exchange for an honest review. I was not compensated in any way.
Sylvie Bissette has quite the hangover. Tony Falcon is an observer at a wedding reception when someone catches his attention. Avery had me hooked by the end of the first chapter. But I do have a question for our author; did I catch a hidden movie reference? You’ll have to see if you don’t see the same thing I do.

Each chapter starts with some inter
Tory Michaels
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a quick, easy read, yet another successful book out from Entangled. I'm so glad to be as involved with them as I am.

Sylvie is a great woman with an interesting job - she blogs about the fashion industry. That seems to be a growing profession in books, making a living writing a blog about something. This is at least the third book in the past year I've read with that as a profession. She's got her sad history, and lordy it's very sad. But she definitely grows over the course of this nove
Pat
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it

This novel is a contemporary romance set in the fashion world of New York. It has suspense, great characters, and lots of steam and sizzle. Plus fabulous shoes! What's not to like?

Sylvie Bissette is a fashion blogger using the name High-Heeled Wonder. Very few people know her blogger name, and being anonymous works to her advantage, Sylvie is not afraid to go after the kings and queens of fashion. But, she's been getting hate mail, starting out laughable, then becoming more threatening.
Her fami
Erica Hearns
I’m happy to report as one non-fashionista to any others that may be reading this, any knowledge or hardcore interest in fashion is not a requirement for this TV crime dramedy style whodunit by Avery Flynn. In High Heeled Wonder, Ms. Flynn does all the heavy world building behind the text, placing the reader in a fully formed world where fashion is king and backstabbing his queen.

Summary: Sylvie Bissette is the adopted daughter of two of the hottest designers in Harbor City, the owners of BC. Be
Angela
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: entangled
3.5* out of 5*

After reading the books from "The Layton Family" series I was looking forward to reading this book.

Sylvie had been receiving threats for some time, but she herself thought it would blow over soon enough. But her fathers didn't like the sound of that and hired Maltese Security to keep an eye on her. With Tony posing as her bodyguard.

A good decision on their part, cause if anything the threats were escalating. While Sylvie was ticked off when she found out what her fathers had done
A.D. Marrow
I received and ARC of this book for an honest review.

Now that the lame legalese is out of the way, lemmie tell you something about High-heeled Wonder. I opened it, drawn in by the promise of stilettos and sizzling smexy times and this girl was NOT disappointed. From page one, you fall in platonic woman love with Sylvie. You literally want to be Sylvie, or at least I did. Impeccable fashion sense, two doting dads and a shoe collection that would make Imelda Marcos jealous. But her anonymous blog
Zarith dol
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
ARC given by Netgalley for an honest review.

It is the first novel I read from this author, and I fell in love with it.. The story cover enough suspense and action behind the scene conspiracy of fashion world, with a dose of hot passionate encounter between the hero and the heroine. Slyvie Bissett is the daughter of the famous fashion designers who wrote anonymously as High-heeled wonder, a fashion guru that can make or break fashion trends. She is stalked by an unknown person, and almost being r
Karin
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book for an honest review.

I have a hard time reviewing books. I can tell people I really liked (or hated) a book. But I have a hard time putting into words WHY I like a book. I don't do book summaries. You can get that from the book blurb or numerous other reviews.
So, here it goes....

I LOVED this book. It has it all - humor, suspense, action, and chemistry!! It is a fun read that kept me up. There are several surprising twists along the way. And just when you think it'
Veronica Forand
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading High-Heeled Wonder, by Avery Flynn. Writing romantic suspense is difficult because of the careful balance between the love story and the suspense plot. Adding humor without making the story into a slapstick tale is close to impossible. Avery weaves the romance, the suspense, and the humor perfectly.

The hero and heroine have amazing chemistry and the secondary characters are hilarious. I thought I’d figured out the mystery, but the story contained fun subplots and complet
Carolyn
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The title alone, HIGH HEELED WONDER creates in my head a scene of a woman happily skipping along the street wearing beautiful high heels. She is smiling and this makes me smile, too! Avery Flynn has created a joyful and spirited love story between fashion blogger Sylvie Bissette and security company owner Tony Falcon, who is hired to protect her. AND unbeknownst to her, he is also investigating Sylvie’s Fathers’ company to find out who killed his former partner. There is suspense, humor, bravery ...more
Cheryl Sanders
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sylvie's two dads were famous in the fashion world. Sylvie was anonymously famous as the blogger "High-Heeled Wonder" or at least that's what she thought until someone outed her. That's when the threats started and in walks Tony Falcon, the owner of Maltese Security. Sylvie wants Tony and makes no secret about it. Tony wants her too but he's got ulterior motives for accepting the job.

This is a who-done-it kind of story. The setting is fantastic. The fashion industry is full of petty jealousy and
Becky
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
(3 1/2 stars)

This was a quick, light read. Avery Flynn writes with a quirky, breezy style that is a lot of fun to read--more than once her sense of humor here made me smile. Sylvie and Tony are both very likable characters, and I loved the fashion-themed quotes at the beginning of each chapter. Altogether fun!

However, both the mystery and the romance of the novel were a bit shortchanged (maybe a longer book would fix this?), and the pacing overall was somewhat uneven. The villain's big reveal ha
  • Raphael (Secrets and Sins, #3)
  • Hostile Desires (Task Force Hawaii, #2)
  • Player's Challenge (Hands Off Series #2)
  • Bless the Beauty (Special Agent Fang, #1)
  • No Room for Error (Lexi Carmichael Mystery, #7)
  • Wanted (Deadly Secrets #2)
  • Lord & Master (The Billionaires, #3)
  • Remy’s Painter (Werewolves of Manhattan, #2)
  • Sweet Southern Betrayal (The Boys are Back in Town, #3)
  • FireStarter (SmokeJumpers, #1)
  • Hidden Impact (Safeguard, #1)
  • Make Me (KinKaid Wolf Pack, #2)
  • Captured in Croatia
  • Girl (The Training House #1)
  • Making His Move
  • Warlock Unbound (Heart's Desire, #4)
  • Copping To It
  • Out of the Past: The King of Pentacles

Killer Style (4 books)
  • This Year's Black (Killer Style, #2)
  • Make Me Up (Killer Style #3)
  • Designed for Murder (Killer Style, #4)