Start by marking “Storykiller” as Want to Read:
Storykiller

Storykiller

The monster under the bed is real.

In fact, all the monsters are real, as well as the heroes and everything in between because all Fiction is real and exists in a dimension called Story. However, plenty of them hang out in the Mortal world, living both innocent and nefarious lives. This might not mean much to the average Mortal unaware of the Fictional characters living amo
Published March 15th 2014 by 1979 Semi-Finalist, Inc. (first published March 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Storykiller, please sign up.
Kelly Hi Michelle
Thanks for the question!
Hi Michelle
Thanks for the question!
I am working on the sequel now. I hope it will be out in early to mid 2015 depending on whether I run another Kickstarter or just self-pub a digital only edition.
Also, if you shoot me an email (1979semifinalist[at]gmail[dot]com) I'd be happy to give you a sneak peek at the second book. :)
Best,
Kelly(less)

Jenna
Tessa Battle is my kind of heroine. She's a 17-year-old punk with superhuman powers who doesn't give a crap what you think. Except she's more than that. She's lonely, though she won't admit it. She dresses like a misfit, because it's easier if people believe you want to be seen as an outcast, rather than having them realize you never really had a choice about it. She wants to be an idealist, but her ideals keep falling to ashes around her. Oh yeah, and she'll straight up kick your ass into next ...more
Jonathan
May 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was an easy book for me to read, but a difficult one to review.

I wanted to like this book more than I did. The book is ambitious, and I think that's part of the problem. In setting up a "Scooby gang" of protagonists and allies, most of which have ulterior motives, there are a lot of characters to introduce and get to know, a few too many for the short (300 page) book.

Similarly, the "rules" of the magic in the book don't always make sense. Tessa is a Scion, because of her bloodline, but app
Adam
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's like Buffy meets Fables. Good world building. I'm looking forward to more.
Celeste
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fight Your Fiction

Everything from the cover to the plotline to the characterization to the damn tagline of this book is just so creative.

And I'm out of my reading slump!

Why?

Because this book totally blew away any and all expectations I had of it.

I wasn't actually expecting much. Which is probably why I liked as much I did, because I love being surprised by a book.

The plotline was very complicated to say the least. The land of Story is one completely unlike our Mortal world and the rules and ethi
aly  c.
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Having never backed a book on Kickstarter, I didn't know what to expect when I backed Storykiller. It was kind of an impulse decision reinforced by the amazing number of artists who were creating original art for the book as well as my deep love for anything involving folklore and fairy tales. And honestly? I wasn't disappointed.

Storykiller won't be for everyone. I think I'm a little old for the target audience -- I'm 23, so my suspension of disbelief was occasionally overtaken by my critical g
Stephanie
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting for this book for a very long time. I got an early look at the now-revised first couple of chapters before Kelly introduced us to The Girl Who Would Be King.
And as much as I adore that book, THIS is the one I was waiting for. I wanted this.
I love the idea that'books are real'. (There's a reason Jasper Fforde is one of my favorite living authors.)
All the works of fiction that you've ever read - those characters exist! Their stories actually happened. And in Storykiller, some
Lexie
Fight Your Fiction. In a world filled with adaptations I adore ( Fables, Once Upon a Time, The Eyre Affair series) it can be a bit hard to write another version that doesn't smack of familiarity. Thompson does it like gangbusters though and man what a trip.

Brand and I need to discuss his semi-annoying habit of screeching all his panicked worries though.

Thompson, who some of you may remember as the author of the omg fabulous i love this book THE GIRL WHO WOULD BE KING in 2012, comes back with ano
Caroline
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure, I backed this Kickstarter, and I was already disposed to love it on account of how much I *adore* The Girl Who Would Be King, author Kelly Thompson’s first novel (seriously, check that one out too.)

I love stories, and fairy tales in particular. I really love adapting and changing classic fairy tales in inventive ways and I positively ADORE metafiction about fairy tales. Any time characters from a story know they’re in a story, or when storybook characters are “real” and interac
Melissa
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received this book free from the author in exchange for an honest review.*

This is the story of Tessa Battle, The Last Scion. She is the link between Fiction characters that exist in the alternate realm of Story and the Mortals. Tessa comes into her powers on her 17th birthday as she’s starting over again, making friends, meeting enemies…

This was an astoundingly imaginative book. I haven’t read anything like it. In fact, it gave me the thrill I’ve been needing to reignite my writing passion. T
T.C.
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was a Kickstarter backer (I didn't get The Girl Who Be King) and received the limited edition illustrated hardcover book with was numbered and signed. I really loved all the illustrations especially those of which were scenes from the book. Very beautiful.

Storykiller is an excellent novel. The short description author Kelly Thompson gave for the book "It's classic Fiction meets Buffy The Vampire Slayer for a new generation." is absolutely correct. I also loved the tagline "Fight your fiction."
Adriana
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I got my beautiful, gorgeous copy thru Goodreads’ First Reads.

The “chosen one” trope has been done to death yet, every once in a while, someone manages to give it enough of a spin that it remains enjoyable.
Kelly Thompson created a character that feels real to the reader and steps away from the been-there side of the genre by being relatable yet full of the wonders that accompany a girl who interacts with the characters from stories.
Thompson manages to make classic story characters her own, in
Jessica Andersen
I loved Storykiller. This book was a kickstarter that I supported. Kelly Thompson was also the author of The Girl Who Would Be King, which was also a Kickstarter.

Storykiller is the story of Tessa Battle. She discovers she is a scion, a kind of peace keeper between the fictional world and the real world. She has come back to the town she grew up in, named Lore, just in time for her 17th birthday, and the arrival of her basic superhero power package. She is suddenly stronger, faster, and has move
Ira
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Storykiller is the first book (a world-builder if you will) in an on-going series that follows the last of the Scions (or "Storykillers") and her band of friends and frenemies. The book owes a lot to Buffy the Vampire Slayer (as noted by the author herself), but is a cross between Buffy and the "Fables" comics (or Grimm/Once Upon a Time if TV is your prefered vice to comics).

I think this sets up a very interesting world and the inherent concept of the stories and "Fight your Fiction" is a very i
Steve
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I stumbled upon this while on Kickstarter, liked the premise and gave it a shot. While the target market is primarily the same as Hunger Games, teenage girls...much like the movies (never read the books) it appeals across age groups due to it being well written, engaging and covering universal themes with the additional of being loaded with classic characters. In a nutshell all the characters from all stories are real and can enter our world. The protagonist Tessa Battle is the Last Scion and sh ...more
Matt King
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It should come as no surprise that as I sit here in my Thor t-shirt, I'm recommending a superhero novel to you. Believe it or not, I actually hold these types of things to a high standard--and a lot of them fall short. Storykiller, however, is not one of them.

It's fitting, I guess, that I write this on Joss Whedon's birthday because Thompson clearly counts him as an influence. Storykiller reminds me a lot of Buffy. To anyone who's read the book, that's probably not the most insightful critique o
Andrea
I received a copy of this book through a first-reads giveaway.

There were things about this book that I liked but I think that ultimately it just read a little "young" for me. It seemed more YA than adult. Some YA translates for all ages but this didn't do that for me. I was a little confused that the story language (tova!) seemed like a great way to avoid using standard profanity but then there are a few fucking____'s thrown in later for emphasis. Just felt inconsistent.

The story is interesting
Caanan Grall
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
If you've read my graphic novel, Celadore, you'll very much enjoy this book. Even though it's really about killing off fictional characters who aren't that fictional after all, it has that 'family is what you make it' message at its heart, because the main characters seem like such a ragtag bunch that don't belong together, but by the end, you couldn't imagine it any other way.

It's high action and peril, intercut with 'Squee! Dreamboat!' moments, (because it IS a love story too, after all). It's
Jen
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very fun read, Storykiller is sort of Buffy-the-Vampire-Slayer-meets-Fairytales. Tessa just turned 17 and finds out that she's the "Scion" -- a super-powered being who can move between the mortal world and "Story" (a world where all fictional characters live). However, the Scion is normally a guy and the fact that she's not is sort of an Apocalyptic thing for the inhabitants of Story. (The Scion has the power to kill Fictions, eliminating their entire story lines from ever having existed.) Ult ...more
Taylor Johnson
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was this close to giving the book three stars, but I liked the characters too much. As I read the book, I felt a meld between Percy Jackson and Teen Titans.

Anyways, I was stoked when I began reading with Tessa Battle getting these superpowers and making friends with Brand and Micah, who seemed like I'd be friends with in real life. Then the Snow Queen shows up, Tessa ends up fighting Blackbeard, and a lot of other cool stuff happens. However, as all the characters develop and Tessa truly owns
Cristina
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is really a 4.5 star- a five star 'verse, five star characters, 4 star plotting & delivery. That said, I loved this book. I am embarrassed to say that the only reason I didn't pick it up immediately after being blown away by The Girl Who Would Be King is because the first review that popped up on Goodreads mentioned the fantastic art, and I assumed it was a graphic novel, a format I don't enjoy.

Though that brings me to what I love most about Kelly Thompson, and why I will eagerly buy a
Meka♥books
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the beginning this story took off like a rocket. It's fast paced with interesting characters. I loved the concept that all fictional characters are real and live amongst mortals. There's the Snow Queen, Robin Hood, Dr. Frankenstein, The Big Bad Wolf, King Midas, & Aladdin to name a few. The heroine, Tessa was born from a fictional character and a mortal- she is called "the Scion" or the "Storykiller". On her 17th birthday she acquires powers and learns of her true heritage. Tessa is the ...more
E.J. Mellow
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ah-maze-ing! I simply adored this book. It was so rich, fast paced, and instantly enthralling. If having a kick ass spunky heroine wasn't enough, we're also given a slew of amazing sidekicks and hunky men. Each of whom are chalk full of personality, intrigue and backstory. The fact that this takes place in a world where every single story ever written exists, leaves one anticipating any twist or turn with each page and Ms.Thompson does not disappoint! There are so many possibilities!

So I hope, w
Mackenzie
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Ms. Thompson's first book, The Girl Who Would be King, but thought, like most first novelists, she could improve. I'm very glad that she kept going. Not that I had anything to complain about with the first, this, her second, is a definite improvement. It's hard to pin down, but the characterizations, and narrative, are quite good. There's something a bit derivative about the Story idea, but it's done in an innovative way.

Overall, I would very much recommend this book. My only ho
Shannon
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an absolute joy to read. The story follows Tessa, who I found to be a strong heroine, who has just been called to be the Scion, a bridge between the Mortal and Story Worlds. I loved the way the storybook characters were adapted and fleshed out, and how the characters in the Mortal World adapt to their circumstances. The beginnings of the back story are fascinating, and I can't wait to see how it all continues to unfold in the next book.
Rachael Stephen
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I was saving my first read of this for the hardback from the kickstarter, but I was having a bad weekend and I really needed it, I'm glad I waited! Coffee, a cinnamon danish and Storykiller is pretty much my perfect morning. In my book, anything you turn to when you feel crap is a keeper, and Storykiller definitely did it for me.

I really loved Micah and Robin ("I'm feeling dragony" - new permanent addition to my vernacular), and I want to get to know Tessa in more depth.
Paul
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing page-turner from Kelly Thompson. It is SO good. I can't wait for the next one. She may well be my new favourite author. Don't let the YA tag put you off this is a fun frolic, that will please all. It just so happens the main characters (excluding stories) are young.

It also feels like it needs a sequel. I sure hope so.
Blair Mueller
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Storykiller is a very fun and interesting story and the book felt like one of my favorite TV shows. Which was one of the reasons why I backed the Kickstarter because the author compare it to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The story is a mix of fantasy with real life situation and Buffy. I also have hardcover edition which is very nice with a lot beautiful art.
Tia
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thompson's take on the world of fiction and the boundaries between it and "reality" is refreshing and fun. Her characters are alive and invigorating. The humor is dark and biting. I loved every moment of this book and can't wait for more from her.
Jarrad
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fiction
I found this story through Kickstarter and I must say it lived up to the hype. I really enjoyed the twist to the fable characters. I will be patiently waiting for the next book because I am all in!
Colleen Vanderlinden
Review coming soon.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Faery Born (The War Faery Trilogy, #1)
  • The Witch's Vampire (Mystery Springs #1)
  • Jade (Three J'Amigos, #1)
  • Fathom
  • Blood Magic: A SoulTracker Novel #1: A DarkWorld Series
  • Where the Carnies Are
  • White Heart (Merrydian's Gate, #1)
  • Affairs of the Dead (The Reanimation Files #1)
  • The Whim of the Dragon (The Secret Country, #3)
  • Magic of the Gargoyles (Gargoyle Guardian Chronicles, #1)
  • Viola Doyle or An Unconventional Gift
  • Wings of Shadow (Underground, #1)
  • Moon Tortured (Sky Brooks, #1)
  • Kill it with Magic (The Lillim Callina Chronicles #1)
  • Heart of the Kraken (Tales from Darjee, #1)
  • Womanthology: Heroic
  • Guardians of the Galaxy: Rocket Raccoon & Groot Steal The Galaxy
  • A Curse Unbroken (Weird Girls, #5)
KELLY THOMPSON has a degree in Sequential Art from The Savannah College of Art & Design. Her love of comics and superheroes have compelled her since she first discovered them as a teenager. Currently living in Portland, Oregon with her boyfriend and the two brilliant cats that run their lives, you can find Kelly all over the Internet where she is generally well liked, except where she's detest ...more