Start by marking “All Beautiful Things” as Want to Read:
All Beautiful Things

All Beautiful Things

The scars. She’ll never forgive her attacker.

Seven years ago, a knife-wielding stranger left socialite Ava Camden for dead on the sidewalk of an upscale Atlanta restaurant. She survived, but her face was brutally scarred. The police, the courts, and the powerful Camden family pinned the assault on only one suspect: Joel Sapphire, a twenty-year-old star athlete on the cusp
Published January 2nd 2014 by Bell Bridge Books

To ask other readers questions about All Beautiful Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Beautiful Things

Gina
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A page turner

For a long time I wanted to read this story but for the 180 pages and the price I couldn't do it. Until one day the price was reduced and that was when I bought it. all Beautiful Things kept me me on the edge of my seat until the end it was just that good!
Lynn Spencer
B+ at All About Romance, so 4.5 stars Those readers who are active on Twitter may have seen Nicki Salcedo’s response (https://medium.com/@nicki.salcedo/dea...) to Suzanne Brockmann’s speech at RWA. If you haven’t, it’s worth a read. I found it infuriating and eye-opening all at once. But then, as I read through Salcedo’s description of her debut novel, All Beautiful Things, I knew I had to get my hands on this book. A Beauty and the Beast story with the heroine in the role of Beast? Sign me up.

A
Sally Kilpatrick
Disclaimer: I know Nicki, and I've read her work before. I love Nicki, and I love what I've read. Even so, I wasn't prepared for the awesomeness of this book. I read All Beautiful Things on my Kindle while on vacation at Disneyland, and I learned to use the highlight feature on my Kindle thanks to this book because there were simply so many sentences and passages I wanted to remember. When, someday, I starting highlighting things from your books, you can thank Nicki.

Here's the story: Ava has bee
Bryonna Nobles
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolutely anyone
Recommended to Bryonna by: Nicki Salcedo
Shelves: fairy-tales, to-keep
There are few books in my collection that I find where I am texting every reader in my phone telling them you need to read THIS. Doesn't matter the genre you prefer, doesn't matter if you are man or woman, I was texting. I only hope that they listen.

I opened the book knowing it was inspired by Beauty and the Beast with a twist. The heroine, Ava, is the beast. As you read on the back cover, she was attacked and left scared.

The Prologue starts out with a few letters from the hero to the heroine. S
Pirouette
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was recommended to me by a friend and was a complete surprise to me, very original and unlike what I usually read.

I loved the mix between mystery, suspense and women's fiction and I loved Nicki's writing style, which is also fresh and original. Stark realism mixed with poetic moments and insights.

The resolution of the mystery was a little bit too quick for me, and I felt as if there were a few loose ends I would have liked to hear more about, but it was a truly great read and I am l
Brenda
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Righting a wrong may never happen fully in this lifetime, Nicki does a fantabulous job of trying though. "The rest of the world grew around her absence." (what? NO! the world had better stop!)"I had an accident, but I'm fine now." Tell yourself that enough times and you may ALMOST believe it. "I am beautiful, because I'm wearing you." If I tell you that enough times, you'd better believe it. This is a powerful book, beautifully written. Take the time to read it.
Darrell Grizzle
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly engaging novel about a young woman dealing with the aftermath of a violent crime that left her disfigured. When she meets the brother of the man accused of attacking her, a complex and complicated relationship develops. This is a novel with mystery, suspense, and romance, but overall it's a character-driven story, very well-written.
Wendy
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grw-authors
Nicki Salcedo's story can be counted as a beautiful thing. The writing was lovely, pulling you into Ava's world of limited living since she was attacked. This is the story of her awakening back to life with the help of the most unlikely of romantic interests, her convicted attacker's brother. This book had some romance, drama, suspense, mystery... even arguably a unique retelling of the classic Beauty and the Beast fairytale. It's a quick read, but there's an awful lot packed into it. Even being ...more
Hildie McQueen
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read all things beautiful in two days. I woke up not he third and thought about it. It's that story that will stay with you and you'll recommend to others. The juxtaposition of the characters is done in a good and believable way. I felt anger, sorrow and happiness. Love it, recommend it!
Fashionista
This is a great heartfelt book. I love how patient Graham is during the entire story. I also like the "first person" flashbacks that the author used.
WiLoveBooks
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this.

Ava is so sad and broken and angry, even seven years after the attack that left her face scarred. Graham just wants to prove his brother didn't do it. They end up helping each other. Loved it.
Kristen Mae
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful story

Loved this story. Loads of heart and beautifully drawn characters. My only tiny issue was a few POV slips that were speed bumps for me, but they didn’t detract from this sweet story about learning to live again and shouldn’t stop you from reading.
Mrs Giggles
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicki Salcedo is an author that is new to me, but the plot synopsis of All Beautiful Things intrigues me enough to pick this up. I'm in the mood for some romantic suspense that does not involve cops, secret agents, or Navy SEALs, and this one looks like what I'm looking for.

Some seven years ago, Ava Camden almost died when she was brutally assaulted after hanging out with some friends in an Atlanta restaurant. She survives, but her face is badly scarred. Joel Sapphire - seriously, that's his nam
Tanya
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books
Seven years ago, a brutal crime was committed. A crime that left haunting consequences for all involved in its aftermath. For Ava Camden, she has lived with three life-altering scars on her face. For Joel Sapphire, his conviction for the crime ended his dreams of playing in the NFL following his selection as a first round draft pick. For his brother Graham, his brother's conviction led to threats while he spends his time trying to prove his brother's innocence.

Ms. Salcedo did a beautiful job in
Sheri
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.
Nicki Salcedo has a unique voice. It's very different and I wasn't sure that I liked it. But it reflected the heroine, who is a bit "off." She's forged ahead from her life-altering injury and created something worthwhile. It allows her to share parts of herself. As strong and well-adjusted as she appears to the world, inside, she's trapped.

Mostly the reader is tied up within Ava's head. Descriptions act merely as place marks. Sometimes the reader is pulled from one scene to another.
Dren
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me start with this simple fact. I'm biased. I know the author, Nicki Salcedo. She's a beautiful person inside and out. Funny. Snarky and a Superwoman. I was thrilled when I learned her debut novel was launching this month. So - I purchased it. I geared myself up for a wonderful novel of heartbreak and romance.

I was sorely disappointed. This is book is so much more than that. SO MUCH MORE!

ALL BEAUTIFUL THINGS was fantastic. The storyline, the characters and the writing had me hooked from the
Megan
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For years I have purposefully avoided the romance genre novel, but for no particular reason. But then my friend wrote one and I really wanted to read her book... so began my first romance novel. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I wasn't surprised that it was good because Nicki is an exceptional writer, but I was surprised how it challenged what I believed the genre to be. The plot was fast moving and I quickly became attached to the characters. This led to me finishing the book in ju ...more
Isha
Feb 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just read All Beautiful Things. I really enjoyed the book. I couldn't out it down. Ava was so strong and she over came the attack on her. Reading this book made me think about myself and how over came the bad things that happened in my life. Ms.Salcedo you do a great job writing this book and my your next book hold your readers attention like this book. Keep on writing wonderful books.
Your fan four life.
Kelly
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story was breathtakingly beautiful! I can not even begin to tell you how I was moved while reading this book and I was enthralled from beginning to end. I don't want to give away the story in the review because this is just a book you have to read. It is about accepting the beauty beneath ones scars both physical and emotional. Nicki Salcedo has an amazing voice and I am looking forward to reading her in the future. Definitely read this book!
Pat
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A friend gave me this book. I am not really into romance writing but I read it. I liked that Atlanta was the setting and so many spots were very familiar to me and the plot was interesting. It WAS more than just a romance. The writing had merit also. I think I just do not enjoy the devices of romance writing-the italicized inner thoughts, the drama, the description of embraces and I am not a fair critic for the genre.
Carissa Gilman
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lyrical, sexy novel about loss, family, race, class, finding your place in the world, and the nature of beauty. The flawed characters ring true, as do the complex feelings surrounding the familial ties that bind us. Lots of beautifully written sentences here that will have you nodding your head in agreement at the universal truths they impart.
C.E. Hart
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love beautiful storytelling.

I love when passages from a book get stuck in my head like a catchy tune I can’t get enough of.

I love falling in love with fictional characters and the authors who create them.

And I love finding that rare gem that upon reaching the final page leaves me forever changed.

I love All Beautiful Things.
Kristin
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You should know that I never give 5 stars unless a book can unseat one of my "Top 5 of All Time" books. This book doesn't do that, but its deft characterization, compelling storyline, vivid sense of place, and just plain readable-ness (late into the night in a hotel room when I clearly needed to go to sleep early before my big meeting the next day) handily earned 4 stars.
Carol Burnside
As the star ratings say, I really liked it! In the spirit of disclosure, I'll admit I know Nicki Salcedo personally. We are both members of Georgia Romance Writers and blogged for awhile on a group blog.

The writing has a definite literary feel with a lyrical quality about it that draws you in.

Thanks for an enjoyable read, Nicki!
Alina Field
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovingly written story of a woman's journey to forgiveness and justice. I think it might be slotted as a romance but IMHO is more correctly described as women's fiction. I love that the author avoided the easy clichés and worked against the racial stereotypes so prevalent in the media. In spite of the brevity of this short novel, she developed each character as an individual.
Tomika Moody
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No need to recap the story--others have already done that. This novel is where good writing and good story meet. The dialogue is crisp, the exposition is just right--Nicki allows the characters to lead us instead of bludgeoning us with too many details. The story moves quickly and leaves you satisfied. A good read, indeed!
Lindi Peterson
Amazing debut novel. The writing is superb, the character's heartaches becomes yours as you read, as well as their triumphs. Brilliant secondary characters round out this story. This is a book that you recommend to everyone. Nicki Salcedo has a gift and I can't wait to read more from her. Write fast, Nicki!
Carolyn Keel
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads-wins
I received this through First Reads Giveaways.

I really, REALLY enjoyed this book. It blurred the lines between several different genres... romance, drama, thriller... I don't know... it just... it took the best parts of each of those genres and mushed them together into something great, powerful, and moving.

I really look forward to reading more of Ms. Salcedo's work in the future.
Jane
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this book down until I finished it. It is beautifully written. The characters are engaging. The story is intriguing. I loved it and look forward to reading Nicki Salcedo's next book.
M.J. Flournoy
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good read. I enjoyed the internal struggle the heroine faced, she grew from a wounded, broken girl into a vibrant, strong young woman. The plot held many interesting twists. Just when I thought I had it figured out, it took off in another direction. Kept me guessing to the end.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Open Wounds (Damaged Souls, #2)
  • Anatoly's Retribution: Book One (The Medlov Men 5)
  • Chained to the Devil's Son
  • Dmitri: The Russian's Christmas Baby (BWWM) (The Wallflower's Series Book 3)
  • Broken (Love Never Fails Book 1)
  • Reap (The Irish Mob Chronicles #2)
  • Finding Divine
  • Warped (Dueling Devils, #4)
  • Slow Burn (Hush #1)
  • Blame It On Paradise
  • Daughters of a Nation: A Black Suffragette Historical Romance Anthology
  • Craigslist Lover
  • The Throwaway Year
  • Love's Redemption
  • Forgive Me Father for I Have Loved
  • Alpha
Nicki Salcedo is the author of a novel and three books of essays. The title piece for her latest collection, “In My Father’s Shoes,” is based on the bittersweet experience she had wearing her father’s shoes after he died. She’s a graduate of Stanford University where she studied English and Creative Writing. Her work has appeared in the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Good Housekeeping, Decaturish, ...more
“We all have scars. Just because mine are hidden doesn’t make them any less painful.” 6 likes
“He appreciated all beautiful things. As she stood before him poised, scrutinizing every inch of his face, liable to strike him, he thought she was the most incredible thing he had seen in his life. She didn't step away from fear, she walked up to it.” 4 likes