Start by marking “The Stars: A New Way to See Them” as Want to Read:
The Stars: A New Way to See Them

The Stars: A New Way to See Them

This is a clear, vivid text with charts and maps showing the positions of the constellations the year round.
Published November 18th 1976 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stars

Start your review of The Stars: A New Way to See Them
Hannah Greendale

H.A. Rey, author of the Curious George books, studied philosophy and natural sciences after World War I. He transformed his enjoyment of star gazing into this user-friendly guide for star recognition and the finding of constellations.

If you know the stars you are not easily lost. They tell you the time and direction on land, on sea, and in the air, and this can be valuable on many occasions.

The Stars is divided into two segments. The fir
Kevin
Jul 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the curious
Shelves: physics, nonfiction
This book led to me knowing my way around the night sky, the constellations and their histories, and eventually, to getting an astronomy internship and going to Stanford for physics...

Yeah: it's good. And really easy to understand, and fun, too.
Grace
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book contains the most lucid explanation of the sidereal day I have ever read. If you are looking for a book that explains the big bang theory and modern astronomical theories, this is not your book. If you are want to look up at the sky and recognize stars like old friends, then this is your book.

Along the way, you will learn enough about the relative motions of the earth, sun, planets and stars to understand why different parts of the sky are visible at different times of the year, and f
Rick Davis
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
In my ongoing quest to

I often try to read books outside of my own particular area of experience. This is one such book, and now I think I'm stuck with a new hobby. This book was a fun introduction to stargazing. The basics of finding the constellations along with all the terminology that goes with it are introduced in a lively and understandable way. More so than any
Danielle
"If we started out with the discussion of the elliptic, or why the sidereal day is about four minutes shorter than the solar day, your reaction might be: Do I have to go through this?" This is a quote I took from the book Stars: A New Way to See them. The author H.A.Rey continues to go on and say, "the whys come later..." I believe this is a quote represents the idea behind this book. It is for people who are just interested in knowing about stargazing, and the technical stuff is just optional.< ...more
Nostalgia Reader
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buzz-complete
Excellent astronomy book for those who casually want to learn their way around the sky. Lovely illustrations, more sensical constellation drawings, and succinct explanations of the basics of how stars, planets, and the like work. Wish I would have had this when I took my astronomy class, as it would have been a much better explainer for some of the topics that the textbook insisted on making incredibly complicated.
Amy
Feb 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome. I think the constellation Orion (along with down comforters, cardinals, and the sauna) is one of the things that makes life in winter not just bearable but lovely. I have lived in Bloomington for ten years, but I still get lost sometimes. Once when I was biking drunk to my new house, I navigated by the stars and made it home just fine.
Calvin Edwards
This book was pretty interesting at first. Then it was kind of confusing.
Morgan
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a perfect book for someone just getting into stargazing. Fantastic illustrations and simple explanations of very complex astronomical and scientific concepts.
Lisa
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything you want to know about the stars, told in a very down to earth way. It’s not super scientific, not full of theories or heavy explanations, just what you need to know to look into the heavens and really see the stars! Originally published in 1954, but updated a little for the 21st century audience. (There is an explanation of what happened to Pluto, the charts have been extended etc.)

Rey has redrawn the graphics so the constellations connect the stars in a pattern that looks more like
Arimo
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ei-fiktio
Updating that I'm "finished" with this book isn't exactly true – although I've now read the book from cover to cover, there's still a lot for me to learn about the constellations, and I've only memorized a glimpse of what I've read. However, when I study constellations again, I'll surely pick up "The Stars: A New Way to See Them" again.

"The Stars" by H.A. Rey is a great book for studying the constellations and learning the basics of astronomy. It first shows some of the easier format
Prima Seadiva
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I love this book. It was given to me as a gift in 1963 and I still have my copy. LOL- I recommend you purchase or read a more up to date one for the charts. My brother and I taught ourselves many of the constellations as well as basic astronomy with this book.It is very clear and basic and brought the night skies to life for us both. We would lay in the yard with red cellophane covered flashlights (for unimpeded night vision) and identify various stars and constellations. Fifty years later we bo ...more
Josiphine/Tessa
This book is fantastic. It is well-written and well-illustrated (no surprise there). I highly recommend as an introduction for someone new to stargazing but even a stargazing veteran like myself will find it enjoyable and enlightening. I need to buy a copy.
Susan
This book is now 65 years old (and has been updated). The information is still fun if one wants to watch the stars. Easy to read, with charts to use while gazing up at night, and time tables that will help find the constellations of the season.
Paul
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction-books
Excellent book for learning the stars.
Elle
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic for beginning astronomers, excellent for the whole family.
Invisible
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: astronomy
This is a classic in introductory astronomy books!

The bulk of the book very nicely introduces constellations, suggesting best times to see them. The last third of the book contains updated theory behind celestial mechanics for layman, and it is very well written as well.

It is amazing how many details in the book there are. In the text there are easy analogies, some mnemonics, even a joke or two. Design of the tables, images and charts all use the same blue color for accen
Georgia Butler
While I concede that this reference guide (first published in 1952) is written for the true beginner (typically a good thing), I disliked Rey's "new way" to see the stars and so did not often refer to it. In fact, from what I can tell, I'm not alone is choosing the "standard" view of constellations. That said, the author does employ drawings, diagrams, and figures to good end in explaining the basics of star gazing even though the technology and times he references are now far removed from us (" ...more
Kara
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Yes, I picked this up when I saw it was by the 'Curious George' author, but the book itself is fascinating in its own right. Rey makes the science and math of the movement of the stars accessible to the lay reader, as well as explaining the different myths and the shapes of the constellation.

Its slightly dated as he talks about "someday" someone landing on the moon, and how there might be vegetation on Mars, but the stars change very little in just a few short decades, so most of the
Mary Sasala
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I randomly picked this up at a museum and it was amazing. We did a whole week of using this as our guide. We studied the constellations and how to find them. We studied the zodiac, the planets, and the moon. My children are 6, 5, 3 I can’t wait to dive deeper into some of his stuff, like studying the individual stars and the science behind things. But this was such a good introduction to looking at the stars.
Josh
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marvelous. Great household reference book for any age. Wonderfully clear writing. If you just want to find Orion, this will help. If you want a layman’s astronomy explanation of how these interplanetary rotations manifest themselves this will do it. Perfect reference book. The illustrations put this in another category altogether, by the same author who did Curious George.
Kim
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent introduction to the stars! There is a whole series of plain star maps set alongside constellation maps that make it easy and pleasurable to study and identify the constellations. As Albert Einstein wrote to the author, "Many thanks for your lucid and stimulating book. I hope it will find the interest it deserves."
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book about the stars, and the one from which I've learned the most. It maps the constellations into simple, easy to understand images and has excellent star charts for reference. And my son loves it too!
Amie
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The last chapter was boring, but other than that it was excellent!
Whitney
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2018
This is a great book if you want to start stargazing or if you go on a regular basis. It has great star charts and excellent explanations of why the night sky looks the way it does.
Anna T
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book literally changes how you see constellations. Gemini, Leo etc. all pop out at you in a way that should have been self evident. Great for parents to teach kids about astronomy.
Zack
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic book for beginner star gazers. I was expecting a child oriented book but found a great resource for anyone interested in the night sky.
Gary
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The drawings of the constellations and the motion of the earth, moon, and stars are phenomenal. The prose is engaging and fascinating to adults and kids.
PWRL
Mar 13, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-new
O
Sarah Hutchinson
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Who knew the guy who created Curious George also wrote an accessible, engaging guide to the stars and constellations? Everyone, buy and read this book!
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Drop Of Water: A Book of Science and Wonder
  • George Washington
  • Wonderful Life With the Elements: The Periodic Table Personified
  • Trees
  • A Field Guide to Stars and Planets (Peterson Field Guides)
  • Stars and Planets: The Most Complete Guide to the Stars, Planets, Galaxies, and the Solar System - Fully Revised and Expanded Edition
  • Earth
  • Maker Lab: 28 Super Cool Projects
  • Math-terpieces: The Art of Problem-Solving
  • Pagoo
  • How Do You Lift a Lion?
  • Wishes, Lies, and Dreams: Teaching Children to Write Poetry
  • Story of the Orchestra: Listen While You Learn About the Instruments, the Music and the Composers Who Wrote the Music!
Hans Augusto Rey was born on September 16, 1898, in Hamburg, Germany. He grew up there near the world-famous Hagenbeck Zoo, and developed a lifelong love for animals and drawing. Margarete Elisabeth Waldstein (who would be known to most of the world as Margret Rey) was also born in Hamburg on May 16, 1906. The two met briefly when Margret was a young girl, before she left Hamburg to study art. The ...more
“After the day is gone we shall go out, breathe deeply, and look up - and there the stars will be, unchanged, unchangeable.” 5 likes