Jump to ratings and reviews

Mount Roxby #1

Pride to Pack

Rosabel McGuiness, orphaned Werewolf, has finally decided to leave the Werelion Pride she’s been living with for the last eighteen years. She’s been challenged to one duel too many. It’s time to find a pack to call home.

Theodore Wilson, Alpha of the Mount Roxby Pack, has never cared about finding his Mate. He swore off women when his Wife, a human who knew nothing about what he was, cheated on him. But now a new wolf has walked into town, and stirred up feelings he never imagined he would feel.

Mount Roxby has a plethora of supernatural beings, unbeknownst to the humans that live there. After a series of mysterious disappearances, and fatal attacks on both Werewolves and Vampires alike, Rosabel decides something needs to be done. But can she persuade the Pack Alpha and Vampire King, to put old prejudices behind them long enough to work together, and solve these attacks? Or will one bite too many cause a war?

ebook

First published July 14, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Aimie Jennison

15 books138 followers
Aimie is a Yorkshire lass living in Australia. She is a mother to three boisterous boys, you could say four if you add her husband.
Aimie loves to read and write. Her favourite place to listen to her characters is at the beach.
Visit Aimie at www.facebook.com/AuthorAimieJennison

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Author 45 books181 followers
August 29, 2017
Full review found on Book-Boyfriends

So... What can I say?

After getting over the initial misunderstanding due to an Aussie accent I have to say I came to love the first real good guy we met: Jared. No matter what his role was/is in all of this, he sure is someone I like to become happy one day... Hell, he totally deserves that!

Next I totally went to Bel's side. If I could pick any female character to be my kick-ass-best friend I swear it would be her. She's compassionate, sweet and one of the greatest females ever written. She's NOT whining all the time and she always stays true to what she believes. She is one hell of a girl!

description

And now... The part I probably loved most: Theo. I love the way he is described, the way he acts, the way he loves and sure as hell the way he is an alpha. GOD, he's adorable!

description

All in all I can say that I can imagine how hard it can be to put your heart out there, needing to have faith that people won't tear you apart. Among millions of shifter books it's hard to take a stand, too. Yet I can say I hope that Aimie Jennison soon will be a recognized author because I LOVED her debut. I love the pack dynamics, I love the "King" of the vampires, I love the witchy best friend... I love, love, love it all. I sure hope we soon find the next installment in our hands because this book surely leaves you hungry for more. Very great NA read, but might as well be read by a younger audience since this book is sweet and amazing without needing steam to make it anything remarkable. The book manages VERY well without that.

description
Profile Image for Heather andrews.
9,520 reviews148 followers
July 17, 2014
Let's just say it doesn't sit well with Theo that others want to claim his woman, "you want to claim her?" I barely contain my growl. She is my mate. No one but me will be claiming her." Theo he tries to calm his woman down, and sometimes it just has a weird reaction, "don't worry, she's got no chance, I'm yours, remember?" He says as he leans across the console and gives me a chaste kiss. I can smell his arousal and realize he's aroused by the fact that I'm jealous." Personally I loved this book it's perfect for young adults as there's no naughtiness but a few kisses and there's action and characters you can't help but love.
Profile Image for Inga Lady Of Bookland.
286 reviews74 followers
August 6, 2019
Ok, this was disappointing and annoying. I was so irritated by Bel. And did really all the guys have to fall for her? Just too much unnecessary drama. So 2.5 stars from me for Pride to Pack and maybe I'll check out if I like this series when Bel is not the MC.
Profile Image for Melanie.Reads.
166 reviews15 followers
April 16, 2018
not bad but it seemed like there was just too much crammed in to the heroine's character. A werewolf who is also an empath AND a druid is just a bit too much, even for a shifter story
Profile Image for Angie.
1,369 reviews107 followers
July 21, 2014
Rosabel (Bel) is a werewolf who was raised by her human aunt and werelion uncle. She was never fully accepted into his pride. As soon as Bel turned eighteen she became eligible to be challenged by any member of the pride. A fight to the death. Bel was challenged daily so she and her uncle decided it was best if she leave the pride and try to join a pack of her own kind.

She ends up in Mount Roxby and accepts a bartending job at Misty's, a witch-vamp-were bar. Bel meets Theo, Mount Roxby's werewolf alpha, on her first night and immediately there's a spark. Theo recognizes her as his true mate yet Bel is slower to catch on since she's had no previous contact with werewolves. Bel also happens to arrive in the middle of mysterious vamp-nappings.

I've been looking forward to Pride to Pack for several months. The blurb intrigued me and the cover is pretty. Plus I love a good shifter book. Overall, I thought Jennison's debut novel was solid. I thought the storyline was original and originality is high on my list of things I want in a book. It also hooked me. I just had to find out what happens. But I did have some problems.

Theo may have been alpha of the pack but he was so un-alpha towards Bel. Um...NO! I prefer my shifters to be more growly and possessive and unreasonable. I also prefer shifter books to be smutty but even if it's YA as this one is meant to be there's a way to portray all of those emotions without using sex. I love sweet, squee-worthy kisses just as much but I wasn't feeling it. However, I did love Bel's alpha-ness. She never stood down from a challenge. She was also decisive and fair. I think she should be the leader.

I wanted more world-building. The werewolves were the focus but witches and vamps were important characters so I wanted to know more about their societies and how they all interact with each other and with humans.

But for the most part I liked it and I'm looking forward to book two.

Profile Image for Shanda.
960 reviews38 followers
August 6, 2014
This was a good debut for Jennison. I do love shifter stories and I was intrigued and kept turning the pages to see what was going to happen. I felt the story was original which is a plus. I loved the Pride to Pack theme and thought this was pretty cool. It would be really nice to see some stories with the Pride and I am hoping for a good outcome for Jared.

The one thing I love about Shifter books or Werebooks is you can almost always count on them to be steamy. To me it is pretty much a requirement that the males are dominant and they take their women no holds barred. They are animals after all so with the male I expect possessiveness, bossiness, and with his woman he never takes not for an answer. He usually growls at her, fucks her, and withholds orgasms until she comes to her senses. Yes it sounds crazy but it is what I love in an alpha book and it falls in line with their animal coming to the surface. In this story it was not the case I didn’t get the sense that any of the males were very alpha. Theo who was supposed to be The Alpha was more passive. Jared who was to be leader of his Pride someday wasn’t alpha either. The true Alpha of the story was Bel she never backed down and knew how to take charge. I was confused by Bel at times because I felt she was more concerned about protecting Dominick than her mate. Bel was also doing the typical girl thing of just assuming what the guy was thinking and not communicating.

The transition between scenes could have flowed better and I really would have liked to connect to the characters. At times I felt the author was telling me how the character felt not weaving in words to make me FEEL the character. It felt a little robotic or stifled in the speech and actions of the characters.

This novel would probably be great for the older YA as a few scenes described eluded to sex but no sex scenes were involved. Also all the characters were very nice even the bad guy was very apologetic.
All being said it was a strong debut it held my interest and I am intrigued to see what the next book will be about.

Profile Image for Runningrabbit.
1,385 reviews93 followers
June 28, 2015
This is a 3.5. The writing improves as the book develops, and the story keeps a fairly consistent pace. The editing leaves something to be desired, but I've definitely seen worse. The characters are believable and the relationships maintain credibility.

All up, a nice light, easy paranormal romance.
Profile Image for Himanish Prabhakar.
467 reviews10 followers
May 19, 2019
My review for the series is 4 stars.

This is one of the favourite genre of mine Romance with the mix of Paranormal beings. Because it's always so much fun and interesting and on the same time its very thrilling to read. The characters are so strong. The story started with pain but then there is so much happening books by books. The old rivalry between the Werewolves and Vampires, but in a different way, I would say Aimie's way. Characters are written really strong and you know what the best thing I seen in the book series from Book #1 to Book #4 is that Author really improved in terms of writing by every book. That's the best aspect of any author -- improving in their writing.

I really had fun in this book series. Loved it!!!
83 reviews1 follower
May 29, 2017
Definitely an entertaining read.

Our main character, Bel, is a strong sensitive woman in a bad situation that will only get worse for her as well as family and friends if she remains. Her only choice is to start over somewhere else and she does. She may not have jumped from the frying pan into the fire, but she definitely jumped into another equally hot frying pan. The main difference in this case being not what she is ( a werewolf), so much as what else she is. With former, present and future love interest s popping up all around her, causing chaos in her daily life within hours of stepping off the bus, Bel has her hands full.
Profile Image for Marsha.
2,935 reviews52 followers
August 5, 2014
(4.5 Stars)
"Pride to Pack" is a truly delightful and unexpectedly good read. The world building is superb, the characters are multi dimensional and the plot was action packed. My only criticism is that the romance/ love making was tepid at best.

Rosabel or Bel is a werewolf living among and being raised by werelions since the untimely death of her parents many years ago. Most of the lions resent her and it seems she is being challenged to the death at every turn. Bel has been in love with the alpha's son, Jared since high school and after he steps in to take over one of Bel's challengers she realizes any relationship between them will always be an uphill battle. So, Bel decides to leave.

Since Bel was not raised among wolves, she doesn't know all of the pack dynamics nor did she know that when entering new territory she needs to contact the alpha or vampire ruler for permission. So when she accepts a job working at a bar in Mount Roxby and the sexy alpha, Theo introduces himself, she gets her first lesson in pack dynamics. Additionally, she doesn't realize that the strange tingling she felt while shaking Theo's hand signals she has found her true mate; but, Theo knows.

Oh and did I mention that Dominick, the vampire king ( yeah, he's a legend in his own mind) forces a tie between he and Bel when he samples her tasty blood? Well, all of this drama will have to wait while Bel attempts to get the alpha and the self proclaimed king to work together in discovering who has been kidnapping vampires and werewolves.

There is plenty of drama including jealous contenders for the alpha's affection, blind dates with wizards and an angry ex who wants a reconciliation. What more could a girl want? Right? I truly enjoyed this little gem of a book and was eager to download book two until I discovered that it isn't out yet.

If you like paranormal mystery/ thrillers with more than just your typical myths, "Pride to Pack" just might very well be the book for you. I definitely wouldn't label this a paranormal romance because the romantic scenes were definitely avoided. Some authors don't feel comfortable writing sex scenes and so maybe that is the case with Ms. Jennison. For me, I think it would have made this read even stronger! But don't let this keep you from reading a really good story!
Profile Image for Coco.V.
46.5k reviews4 followers
Want to read
February 13, 2019
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (2/13/2019)! 🎁

Blurb:

Profile Image for Rachel Raithby.
Author 17 books340 followers
September 9, 2014
I loved how this book jumped right into the action. Rosabel is my kind of girl, strong independent and knows how to kick butt!

I liked Theo, he's strong, loyal and brave. The romance between them is intense but Bel does resist a little and I did find myself wanting to shout at her!

The only thing I didn't quite understand was the relationship between Bel and Dominick, one minute Bel hates him the next she'd saving his life by offering her blood. I didn't like Dominick character I found him arrogant and his constant interrupting of Theo and Bel's mating drove me mad, I do hope he gets put down a peg or two in the next book :)

Over all a good solid debut, interesting plot and characters and I look forward to the next installment
1,727 reviews4 followers
September 2, 2014
Pride to Pack(The Mount Roxby Series)

I chose a 5 star rating because it deserved it.This story will have you hooked from the first page to the last.There's vampires,werewolves and witches,who wouldn't love a book like this?I love the mystery surrounding this story,you have to figure out who is kidnapping the super naturals.Theo is the alpha and Bel is his mate,their story will keep you intrigued.Please read this book,I cannot wait for the next one to come out.
Profile Image for Francie.
209 reviews56 followers
July 21, 2014
As someone who doesn't care that much for werewolves, I absolutely loved these wolves. I mean talk about a page turner! I was hooked from page one and had to force myself to put the book down to get things done. Great job Aimie! I look forward to the next one.
Profile Image for Heather.
210 reviews
August 9, 2014
When the man you supposedly love is being held hostage, you don't haggle about the time you get your Butt out of bed to go rescue him. When you are mated to someone you love, you don't go on dates with another man, let alone kiss him. As you can tell these a big turn-offs for me.
Profile Image for Michelle Irwin.
Author 41 books437 followers
August 2, 2014
Great read from a debut author. Held my interest from start to finish. I just have a problem where I guess the bad guy really early & then wait for it to sink into the characters. I enjoyed my time at mount Roxby & will definitely be picking up the next in the series.
Profile Image for Jamie.
Author 16 books160 followers
September 9, 2014
I really loved this story! It started a little slow, but i ended up reading while walking, which is always a good sign LOL Really likable characters and there are a few characters where I'd love to hear more from! <3 Great debut!
777 reviews13 followers
July 28, 2014
I loved this book! I hope there are more coming! I'm going to check now!
Profile Image for J.L..
Author 3 books39 followers
July 30, 2014
This is a good start for a new series. I will be looking for the next book to come out.
Profile Image for Alisa Lawry.
353 reviews1 follower
August 8, 2014
Great debut storyline but I found the narration bait over the top for me.
75 reviews
August 9, 2017
Keeps you interested

Keeps you interested

I really enjoyed reading this it kept me wanting more it's a good book I'm glad I spent time reading it
Profile Image for Tawnya.
678 reviews28 followers
September 8, 2014
Pride to Pack is an enjoyable shifter novel. It had mystery, action, and romance, and of course hot werewolves.
1,169 reviews18 followers
February 24, 2017
Ah, where to start? I'll try and keep it short shall I?

- we are amped up about this h who has been trained from the age of ten to be sure that when she faces inevitable challenges at the age of 18, she will be able to kill the opponents. And we've been told that after she turned 18, she did face endless challenges... and win... which means she killed them. It's said around one challenge a week, but occasionally her friend/boyfriend would take them on, so let's be conservative and say she herself faced and killed one challenger a month for 6 years. That's roughly 72 (but probably over 200) people she has killed to date. She has obviously lived in a hostile environment in all that time, but this chick jumps and freezes at every opportunity. People sneak up behind her (and by sneak I mean they walk up behind her to say hi, even tho she has super shift senses and is an empath), repeatedly. She's faced with a wolfing out wolf, freeze (this is vaguely explained by her picking up on the panic and stress of the others surrounding her, but seriously, with her history, in a dangerous situation, she defaults to opening her emotions rather than locking that shit down and dealing with the problem?). She gets pinned by a vamp out for her blood, fine. She is a wimpy flake. She does improve slightly near the end, but still, this girl has been raised in her own personal war and is now out by herself for the first time in her life with unknown people surrounding her and she's little better than wilting violet.

(guess I'm not going to make it short after all, sorry)

- she's been placed with her aunt and uncle in this pack that is and has always been openly hostile to her to the point where the uncle is training her for hours a day to ensure she won't be easy to kill, but he never thinks to prepare her for the outside world? Or to fill in the blanks when she does says enough is enough and she's heading out to find another pack? Nooooo, he doesn't say a word, so she's all sorts of shocked when she's asked if she actually had the manners to ask for a 'visa' into another packs territory. Nor does she have any idea what the mating bond entails.

- oh, the mating bond... so they meet, she feels something but doesn't know what (although come on, even blind Freddy would be asking at least a few subtle questions after what she's feeling, and she's a shifter who educated or not, knows about mating bonds), he knows but does nothing. Nor does he do anything when the vamp says since she's not pack, he's going to take a bite. Nor does he do anything until after she's been bitten... and had a F'ING bond formed with the vamp... WHICH THE H KNEW WOULD HAPPEN IF THE BITTING HAPPENED AND THAT IT WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO BE BROKEN! No, he waits until after the blood rape to claim her and have to find a way to break the bond and have her be in danger until they figure out a way.

- still the mating bond. They are true mates, so not just in love and devoted, and not just mated, but destined soul mates. After all the F'ING around before he tells her they are mates, they don't get to complete the bond for a while because of the vamp who wants her keeps interfering, but both before and after the final bonding (yes, sex), they keep ignoring each other, not talking about things (not just general couple stuff, but  someones been kidnapped - so she might even be in danger, sisters in trouble, big shit going down... Nada). This, IMO, peaks when the H is kidnapped and the pack dominants ask her to stay in the H's pack house to be safe (because she's still going home every night!)... she can use a spare room! WTF. They are true mates, they have already screwed... and it was in his bed, but she can stay in a spare room since he's not there to supervise her? Seriously, wtf!

- she's always telling us (whenever she's not being completely oblivious to her surrounding and being snuck up on) that she can sense them, hear them, smell them coming up behind her, then she turns around and tells us she was right in what she sensed, heard and smelled and see the people she expected behind her... well dah. Do we need to read that sequence half a dozen times?

Overall, she's a bit of a pussy (and I dont remember having the urge to call a wimp that before), and he's a fairly beta alpha or worse. There's endless times he's all woe is me when he should be manning the f up.

I just need to stop thinking about it and move on now... but wait, I just remembered reading the sneak peek of book two at the end. 8/ Seriously, they are at the cinema bitching about the H being too protective of his fragile human sister, so the h says to easy up as she's fragile and needs to be protected... and then teleports out to go home and pack while the fragile human sister walks down the dark street alone in a town with shifter, vamps and other supernaturals... so she can get home 5 mins earlier to pack! And yes, the fragile human gets snatched up by a vamp before the third page. Can't we say 'let's be dumb for the book'? Grrrr
Profile Image for Evelyn Dotson.
1,461 reviews4 followers
February 10, 2020
Bel is a wolf shifter who lives with her uncle and aunt in a lion pride. Constantly challenged at 18, Jared the one who will take over starts challenging others to protect her. He loves her and wants her for his wife. She knows it is not possible so leaves quietly. She ends up somewhere in Australia and starts bartending. The Alpha of the local wolf pack meets her and knows she is his mate. The head vamp also takes an interest in her; as does a local male witch. There is something about her that draws men to her! She is only truly interested in one…Theo the wolf. Then vamps and wolves start missing and when they do appear, they are controlled by someone else. They take Theo so Bel has to step up her game and find him before it is too late. Can she do it? Will they save him in time? What is so special about her? Will it make a difference to the other wolves?
Profile Image for Ann-Maree Howarth.
660 reviews7 followers
May 27, 2018
I have not read a shifter story in some time to which I thoroughly enjoyed this one. We have werewolves, vampires, witches, and Lion-shifters in this great story set in Australia. Rosabel is a werewolf that was raised in a Lion pride and from the age of 18, she had to fight for her life. She leaves the pride or you should day she ran from the pride and the man she loved to protect him from his future that he is destined to have.
She is a lone wolf searching for her pack to which leads her to meet Theo the Alpa male of his pack in a town of many dangers that will make Rosabel fight again but this time for more than just her life this time. For her new home.
Profile Image for Jackie.
2,295 reviews
January 30, 2019
DNF - quit at 44%
Sheesh, I thought the very beginning showed a little promise, but things quickly went downhill from there. I did not care for the heroine, & the guys throwing themselves at her were just too much to stand. The alpha wolf, Theo, was also not a great character, lettting her to see other men, not explaining the wolf things to her & just putz around in general not setting things right with his mate. The story in general is wishy-washy, it drove me crazy. The author is obviously not American either (maybe from Australia- I’m guessing at that), but it definitely had a different slang that I couldn’t get past, which didn’t help me to get into the story either.
Profile Image for T..
Author 13 books566 followers
August 14, 2017
I downloaded The Binder's Game as a free book from Amazon. Interesting world-building and characters make this unusual plot a really good read. While not a fast-paced read, it was steady and built to a surprising ending (some threads are left open, so there's sure to be another book to come). Galen was a bit of a disappointment, because of how easily he was manipulated through the whole book, but the twists and turns kept me reading. PS: editors and proofreaders are our friends, this book would have benefited from both.
Profile Image for Debra.
3,125 reviews8 followers
January 18, 2019
Pride to Pack

In this first book about Shifter's and vampires we read about a wolf shifter who was raised in a lion pride. But all things were not good for her. She had to fight till the death too many times. So she leaves to find a pack that would accept her. Once she enters a wolf pack she meets the alpha. He is not happy with her. He knows that she is his true mate. But being burnt before by a human he isn't ready for that bonding just yet. This is the first book in this series. They seem to reconnect with the other books.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 93 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.