Start by marking “Split Second (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #1)” as Want to Read:
Split Second (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #1)

Split Second (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  48,220 Ratings  ·  2,012 Reviews
Michelle Maxwell has just wrecked her promising career at the Secret Service. Against her instincts, she let a presidential candidate out of her sight for the briefest moment and the man whose safety was her responsibility vanished into thin air. Sean King knows how the younger agent feels. Eight years earlier, the hard-charging Secret Service agent allowed his attention t ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Vision (first published September 30th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Split Second, please sign up.
Teghan of course! You're still engaging your mind and creating a world in your imagination. Stories have been told for millennia in the verbal form, so I've…moreof course! You're still engaging your mind and creating a world in your imagination. Stories have been told for millennia in the verbal form, so I've always thought that audiobooks are just continuing on in that tradition.

Plus, there are millions of people who can't read a written book (vision disabilities, mental illnesses, learning disabilities, etc) but can still enjoy an audiobook. That's no less "reading" than if they had read the words on the page.

I'm a huge fan of audiobooks (I've always got at least one on the go in addition to a printed book or two) and I count them towards my reading goals. (less)
Heath hydrangeas, specifically the fact that they hid her secret so well. That is until someone with extreme knowledge of botany arrives.

Christian
Oct 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Do you remember when you first saw Star Wars? If you are a certain gender and a certain age, it was THE defining movie of your childhood. You were either Luke or Han when you played. You craved everything Star Wars.

Then The Empire Strikes Back came out and it added so many layers. You were blown away. “No....I am your father” rocked your little mind. Yoda letting the audience know “No. There is another” led to rampant speculation for a few years about where the story was going to go next.

And the
Erin (PT)
Sometimes you stay up late with a book because it's just that great and you can't bear to put it down; other times, you find yourself up late because you just want this PoS book out of your life as soon as possible.

Like a lot of people right now, I picked up Split Second because it's recently been made into a TV show and I was interested in checking out the source material. Usually the visual media conversion of a book comes off the poorer in any comparison, but after having read the book, I ha
Jonetta
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Secret Service Agents Sean King and Michelle Maxwell watched their careers go up in smoke in a split second. Though their events occurred eight years apart, they become connected by the events that altered their courses. It also seems now that the two events might have their own connection.

I enjoyed the story, especially the pace as there was rarely time to relax before the next challenge was presented. I liked the murky characters and odd directions the story would take, sometimes making it a
Linda I
Dec 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
A good quick read by a very talented storyteller. "Split Second" is the beginning of another Baldacci storyline called the "King and Maxwell Series". Sean King and Michelle Maxwell are two disgraced Secret Service Agents whos presidential candidate's both were either killed or kidnapped. Through an elaborately connected chain of events, though not seeming at the time, Maxwell and King team up to discover who is responsible for the conspiracy. Admittedly, I like Baldacci's later "Camel Club Serie ...more
Rajan
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: My friends who like thriller and mystery
I bought it in India international trade fair at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi. I wanted to read a new thriller writer and the salesman suggested this. I am thankful to him.

All it takes is a split second to ruin your career. Maxwell and king of secret service has this is common. Now both unite and try to redeem themselves. will they b successful?

I enjoyed it thoroughly. It is a page turner. Kept me engrossed. Highly recommended.

Sean is very fastidious and judicious. Michelle is very unorganised and
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I have completely forgotten to review this book. Read it this summer thought it was ok, nothing really special. The two main character felt a bit boring to be honest it was nothing like reading about Patrick and Angie by Dennis Lehane. Will perhaps read the rest of the series if I run out of books...lol...

kartik narayanan
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Split Second is a typical Baldacci first book in a series. It has interesting characters and excellent writing but the plot is a bit weak. I have seen this trend across his various books and this one is no exception.

As always, the lead characters are extraordinary individuals (secret agents in this case) who have had to deal with a personal/professional tragedy. This time around, it is the loss of the VIPs they were supposed to protect.

I loved the chemistry between the leads. And the reversal of
Terri Lynn
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. I had read other Baldacci books but none about Sean King and Michelle Maxwell but now I have to read them all.

Sean King is a former Secret Service agent whose split second lack of attention 8 years ago caused a tea party type presidential candidate to lose his life (before there even was a tea party)when a brilliant professor working at a third rate college (he was a UC Berkeley PhD who had fallen from grace after his activism over the Vietnam War and Watergate) stepped up and sho
Ami
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first experience with David Baldacci. His books are one of those I see around bookstore a lot (in mystery section) but I haven't felt compelled to try. Now I know that he is the author of Absolute Power (I enjoy the movie) and King & Maxwell series from TNT. Because I like the pilot of King & Maxwell, I decided to check out the series.

I love a good mystery. A good mystery book is a good book. And I think this one provides a good mystery. For a peeker like myself, I'm even able
Corey
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
The first book in the Sean King & Michelle Maxwell series, and a good start to a seemingly good series! The book started out kind of slow, and jumped around a lot, and hard to follow, but after about 100 pages it started to pick up, then it got really good!

Split Second follows former US Secret Service Agent Sean King who's career ended when a Political Candidate who he was guarding is gunned down right in front of him, and failed to stop the assassin. Now 8 years later, young Secret Service
Kristy James
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Just finished Split Second and, as with The Winner, was very impressed with Baldacci's style. The research and planning that went into this book was amazing. Unlike The Winner, I did figure out who 'the bad guy' was about a third of the way in, even when he tried to make it look as though I was wrong a bit later. I was, however, wrong about his accomplice.

It will be interesting to see if Total Control, next on my list, is similar to these two books. David Baldacci seems to have a thing about hi
Julie
Nov 12, 2012 rated it liked it
This was the first Sean King and Michelle Maxwell book in the series.

Eight years ago, Sean King's career as a Secret Service Agent came to a screeching halt when a presidential candidate was killed on his watch. Now, eight years later, Michelle Maxwell gets a taste of what Sean felt like when a candidate she's in charge of is kidnapped.
Sean has worked hard to put his life back together after the Ritter assassination. He's a sucessful lawyer now with a nice house on the lake. Then the man workin
Josen
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-library, audio
Sean King and Michelle Maxwell have one thing in common, albeit 8 years apart. As secret service agents they both had harrowing incidents while guarding their protectees who, coincidentally, were both presidential candidates. This is my first Baldacci and I don’t know why I’ve never picked him up before. This story had a really good pace and made you think (because there were a butt load of characters, lol!)

Sean is the older of the two and even though his situation happens first, he is somehow
Mark
Aug 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of tv shows that seek out the original source
Recommended to Mark by: tv series
NCIS: Los Angeles creator Shane Brennan created the show based on David Baldacci's novels, which was the main reason to pick up this book. I did enjoy the first season of this series so decided to have look in the literary origin and see how much the actual difference would be.
Mr Baldacci has been read by me before but those books were more of the one offs written by the writer and as thrillers they did not fail to entertain me. So on that note it would be a great choice in reading about Maxwell
Alex Shrugged
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
"Split Second" by David Baldacci is a murder mystery/thriller and my first read of the author. He gave me a good impression. I generally don't read murder mysteries unless they are Jewish murder mysteries but my mother-in-law raves about his books so I decided to try one. This is the first in the series of Sean King/Michelle Maxwell novels where two former secret service agents team up to solve a murder and in this case a kidnapping as well.

The story: A Secret Service agent, Sean King, has his p
Cheryl
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Abandoned after 100 pages. This author's writing style is just not for me. I couldn't get interested in the main characters.
🔮⚡️Voracious
Sean King and Michelle Maxwell - a formidable duo. I enjoyed this first book in the King & Maxwell series although I'll admit that I do prefer the ultimate kick ass partnership of Robie & Reel more. However, I'm definitely planning to continue with this series, as there is no doubting that David Baldacci writes an action packed thriller.
David Highton
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall, an exciting debut for King and Maxwell, with strong character histories to help build the partnership, but I thought the plot was overly complex and the main protagonist's motivation lacking credibility. I look forward to reading the next one, though.
Emilie Hendryx
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, thriller
As an avid Baldacci fan I'm so happy to go "back" in time to this series! Love Maxwell and King already and can't wait to read the next book! Great, riveting plot (as I've come to expect from Baldacci) with enough twists and turns to keep you guessing. I enjoy Maxwells snark and Kings no-nonsense attitude!

My rating: 4.5*

---
This was an audio book read for me.
Josy
~ 4.5 stars ~

Even though I figured out part of the mystery early on, I enjoyed this book a lot and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
Paul Lothane
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
The author, David Baldacci, is renowned as one of the world's outstanding bestselling authors, and this work serves to show why. The general plot and characterization here is excellent with so many twists and turns. The chapters are essentially short too, making the book easier to read. Also, there is a premium on prurience and outright sex which many might appreciate. And for good measure there is plenty of old-fashioned humour too. The interaction between the male protagonist, Sean King, and t ...more
Gill
Dec 18, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, month-12
Michelle Maxwell, a Secret Service agent assigned to a presidential candidate, sees her rising career slip away when the candidate is kidnapped. Eight years earlier, Agent Sean King was assigned to a candidate who was killed. With their professional lives similarly shattered, the two meet and uncover unlikely coincidences between the two events. Suspense mounts when a body appears in King's law office and when they are violently attacked.

A decent-enough premise, but I found it disappointing. Max
Brenda H
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My online reading group plans to read the second book in this series in July. Since I do not like to read a series out of order, I decided to read this in preparation. Once I started the book, it seemed somewhat familiar but I was unable to decide if it was because I had already read the book or if I knew things because of the tv series. Turns out, that I had read the book before but so long ago that I forgot most of it...most importantly - the big reveals. :). Despite being a re-read (something ...more
Mike
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great travel, beach, bedside reading. Short, pithy chapters and action that seldom slows down. Two Secret Service agents who make little mistakes on the job with big consequences. The mistakes are related but the plot is pretty complicated and will keep you interested to the slightly hokey end. I might be a little generous at 4 Stars as there were flaws. But I want to see King and Maxwell carry on in future adventures. Maxwell is great, she kicks butt. King is more of the braniac and moody. Shou ...more
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
This was an awesome beginning to a series. There was twist at every turn with a strong female character. I will definitely continue with the series. I want to see what other trouble King and Maxwell will get into.
Veronica
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published and set in 2003/2004, the plot revolves around the assassination of one Presidential candidate eight years before the start of this book and the kidnapping of another one in the story's present day. The main characters are the two Secret Service agents, Sean King and Michelle Maxwell, whose errors in judgment factored heavily into the aforementioned assassination and kidnapping. Events conspire to bring King and Maxwell together to figure out how, or even if, the two events are related ...more
Margaret
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michelle Maxwell and Sean King, both shining stars in their field, have something in common. They both, as Secret Service Agents, were charged with protecting a presidential candidate when in a split second and eight years apart their careers collapse around them when they both lose their charges, one candidate is killed and the other is kidnapped. Michelle seeks out Sean because of their similar stories and as they try to make sense of the facts they have the two combine efforts to find the kid ...more
Esra
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surukleyiciydi, sayfaları hızla cevirdim.
Bir başkan adayının cinayetiyle başlayan hikayemiz sonunda oyle yerlere gidiyor ki inanın aklınız almıyor. Bu kadarda olur mu diyorsunuz ama oluyormuş.
Maxwell ve King'i çok sevdim ama Kate'e de aynı zamanda çok üzüldüm.
Ronja
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid thriller, easy to read and definitely keeps you turning the pages. The characters remain somewhat flat but the book kept me entertaines enough that I'm going to want to read Vol 2.
Tracy
I shouldn't actually mark this as "read", because I read about six pages and was disgusted by how bad a writer David Baldacci is, or at the very least, is in this first book in the "King & Maxwell" series. I only wanted to give the book series a try because earlier this summer TNT started a series based on these books. I like the TV series, in spite of being wary of what sounded potentially boring: politicians' business, CIA nonsense and ex-Secret Service agents turned private detectives. Th ...more
Como Emagrecer Comendo Carboidratos 1 1 Feb 01, 2018 09:28AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please update details 5 15 Mar 08, 2016 08:41AM
Goodreads Librari...: Number of pages for book 5 28 Dec 06, 2015 09:26PM
  • Term Limits
  • Blowback (Scot Harvath, #4)
  • The Tenth Justice
  • The Disciple (Tommy Carmellini #4)
  • The Lion's Game (John Corey, #2)
  • The Winner by David Baldacci Summary & Study Guide
  • By Order of the President (Presidential Agent, #1)
  • The Power Broker (Christian Gillette, #3)
David Baldacci has been writing since childhood, when his mother gave him a lined notebook in which to write down his stories. (Much later, when David thanked her for being the spark that ignited his writing career, she revealed that she’d given him the notebook to keep him quiet, because “every mom needs a break now and then.”) He published his first novel, Absolute Power, in 1996; one year later ...more
More about David Baldacci

Sean King & Michelle Maxwell (6 books)
  • Hour Game (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #2)
  • Simple Genius (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #3)
  • First Family (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #4)
  • The Sixth Man (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #5)
  • King and Maxwell (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #6)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Roseanna (Martin Beck, #1)
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
“Time doesn't really heal, it just makes you not to give a crap” 14 likes
“if you think too much about things, life sometimes just passes you by.” 6 likes