Start by marking “Compromising Positions” as Want to Read:
Compromising Positions

Compromising Positions

We weren’t supposed to be friends. We weren’t even supposed to like each other.

I’m Michael Grath. I’ll admit I was elected to Congress on my Republican family history. I was out to make a name for myself, until I met Jessie Clark, a spitfire Democrat.

She’d be my nemesis, if I could just stop thinking about her. We’ve got nothing and everything in common, and one big issue
Paperback
Published January 28th 2014 (first published January 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Compromising Positions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compromising Positions

Lucia
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
My Michael and Jessie:

Michael and Jessie. Loyal successful Republican and fierce determined Democrat. Lethal enemies in Congress, incredibly attracted to each other in private. Complete opposites on the field, soul mates behind the closed doors. Would they risk their carriers for possible love affair?
"We share the same values. We just believe in different ways of achieving them."

I have to admit that political movies are not my thing. But I really like reading books with political background. M
Carrie Elks
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Mary's writing is always elegant, laced with a wry humour, and it kept my eyes glued to the page. I loved the way she made both Jessie and Michael sympathetic characters despite their political differences, and the ups and downs that came with their relationship were well-written and believable. I also loved getting an insight into the machinery of government, as both Jessie and Michael worked hard in their jobs, representing their districts. An all-round great read!
Jacqueline
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
As a brit, my entire knowledge base for US politics is based on The West Wing (and even then I was watching Rob Lowe most of the time) so I feel like I've learned a whole lot more about US politics by reading this.

Jessie is a newly elected Congresswoman and Michael a newly elected congressman, but for opposing parties. To make matters worse, Michael is in the middle of an ugly divorce, he's Catholic and from a wealthy family so all of that along with his Republican politics means he can't be see
Cocktails and Books
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mary Whitney has a knack for writing political romance stories that make me dread getting to the last page because then the fun is over. Compromising Positions was one of those books.

I fell in love with Michael Grath and Jessica (Jessie) Clark. Despite being brilliant (because they truly both were), they were two down to earth, awkward, nerdy, beautiful people who were trying to navigate their way through their freshman year in Congress. Neither one expect to find love, but they did. That's not
Ira
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars.
Nina ~ Social Butterfly PR
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-reader

Oh how I love a political romance story. I am a political girl and I will say it again and again, nothing is sexier to me than a man in political power. My partner in crime, Laurie, had been telling me for a while to read Compromising Positions by Mary Whitney and it took a trip to DC and an eleven hour car ride for me to finally pick it up, and I will have to say I have fallen in love with this story.

First off, I want to let you know, Mary Whitney is an educated writer. She knows her p
Paula  Phillips
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Heading into 2014 , I've been reading a few Contemporary New Adult Romances and it seems that this may be the trend for the upcoming year. With this book, at first I thought it might be a case of the TV show "Ground Floor" romance going-on's as it talked about them coming from two different worlds and how they shouldn't be together. What it turns out to be is that they are both opposing parties in the Elections with Michael being a Republican and Jessie being a Democrat. Despite their feelings ...more
Irene
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

I'm a huge fan of Mary Whitney's and when I heard she was releasing a new book I couldn't wait to read it.

Well I just finished and Mary Whitney has delivered another wonderful heartfelt read, loved Compromising Positions.

Compromising Positions is a story about two people from opposite political sides falling in love and struggling to find a balance between their work life and private life and still being able to be a supportive partner/boyfriend/girlfriend.

Could Michael and Jessie find t
Eesha Sajid
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
The author is a democrat...
thats pretty much the only thing that you infer from this book...
its a highly potent method of wasting time... the plot is entirely plotless... take everything that is written as a blurb, mix it with a couple of cliched romance scenes... a few dialogues.. and a happy ending and you might as well have read the whole book..
i wont give it one star because i donot outrightly hate it.. so two stars and even THAT is generousity...
Verdict: forget it...
Vidalia
Feb 07, 2014 marked it as dnf-not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sugar, dnf, boring
DNF at 25%. Bit of a snooze-fest so far. 25% of the way in and the two main characters are barely speaking to each other yet! Maybe it picks up, but I won't be finding out. Good luck to the rest of you!
All Romance
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We're having a flash giveaway for this one on our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/allromancere...

MICHELLE'S REVIEW
EEK!!! I am so excited that this book is being unleashed to the world.

So I have a deep love for MWhit. She's awesome and her books her awesome. But I also feel like because she's lived in DC and worked in politics her political romances are some of the best around.

In the interest of full disclosure- I have been very invested in this book since I found out it was being written
Michelle Kannan

MICHELLE'S REVIEW
EEK!!! I am so excited that this book is being unleashed to the world.

Jasmine
Jan 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I was provided with an ARC from the author. Thank you, Mary Whitney.

This was my first time reading a book about politics, but none the less, I liked the book. Even though I gave it 3 out 5. I wanted more, what happened with Michael and Jessie, I will not say what I want to know, because I do not want to spoil it for anyone. It was nice to read the story from Michael and Jessie’s POV(I did love the name of Jessie's cat, Harry Potters will understand!), because not only we see the problem from on
books are love
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down. Ms. Whitney has done it again with a irresistible fun loving book. The characters are lovable and real. Michael the republican who is a great speaker but shy and introverted. More he wishes to have his life kept quiet. Although he wants this a mistake in his past where he was trying to do the right thing comes back to bite him and threaten to make his world public. At the same time this kind man meets Jessie the exuberant and passionate democrat from arizona. She s ...more
Pang
He is Republican. She is Democrat.
They weren't supposed to love each other...

description

This is so Good! and what I expect to read a novel about the Politics. Compromising Positions is exactly Politic Romance which have excellent politic background and I mean that, not just the book that the characters are politicians, but don't have or have very few politic element in the plot.

description

I got to learn a lot about US politics and really enjoyed them. Michael and Jessie, they are on opposite sides in the Congress.
GraceMyBookSnack
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-galley
A delightfully written political romance!

I have heard so much about Mary Whitney's stories, and after reading Compromising Positions I now know why she has many loyal fans! I LOVED Michael and Jessie's story. I found the writing so pleasant and brilliant that I couldn't turn the pages fast enough!

This is way more than a story of Republican vs. Democrat. Michael and Jessie are well-developed, likable characters. They are both in their mid-thirties, passionate, engage in friendly banter, have real
FS Meurinne
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews, p2p
Mary Whitney is not a new author for me, I’ve been following her for a while now and I love everything she has written and this book is no different. I’m not into politics at all, I even live in a different country and even thought I wouldn’t normally read anything political related, Mary has proved me wrong and made me read anything she writes.

I love how the relationship between Michael and Jessie was built. The difficulties a couple can have with different point of views, no matter if they ar
Three Chicks
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it

I have to admit the premise of a sort of political romance, had me edgy. I knew it was going to be angsty, I knew what I was in for- and yet, still I couldn’t help but read it.

I think the book ended up being a great read. The novel is clever, charming and very well-written. It has a plot that to me, was fresh and new. The writing is vivid, detailed, and filled with emotions. All the feels!!!

The book is about Michael Grath and Jessie Clark as they fall in love when they weren’t supposed to. The
CeCe
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-in-2014, romance
Mary Whitney is my comfort food. With Mary Whitney, I know I will get a good story, with very likable characters and just enough intensity and steam to make it enjoyable. And there will be enough drama to keep me interested.
The story takes us from the beginning of the relationship between Michael and Jessie where they initially meet, question how the other feels for the other, become friends, and then fall in love.
I loved the political banter between these two characters.
This story is not insta
JewelsyGoolsy
3 stars
Very heavy on the clockworks of American politics and a little lighter on the romance and steam. I was reading about 2 very level headed politicians talk through their problems and have only one major spat where even the most angsty part of the book was nearly bordering on boring. I can't give this book any less stars as it was well written enough and kept me reading till the end (but still skimming through most of the political background info).
Don't expect hot steam coming from this bo
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was honored to be given an opportunity to read an ARC of Mary's latest work, 'Compromising Positions'.

As a political junkie, I am always excited to read a political romance and this book did not disappoint. It's a nice mix of policy and sex appeal and I enjoyed the alternating POV. I like how Mary writes her female characters as strong and self assured, and her male leads as being attracted to that quality in them.

Mary incorporates her knowledge of Washington for a nice dash of authenticity an
Sweets Books
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it

This book was about two politicians that are on opposite side of the politics. One is a Democrat and one is a Republican. It shows how having different views one policies in a public office can be trying on a relationship. They were able to work out most issues easy bit when one issues is so important that it divides them it makes them think. It was a happy ending though bit just to know what they went through to get there made me think about mine and sometimes the small things get in the way wh
Hooker Heels Book Blog
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I have read by this author as well as the first politically themed romance and I must say I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed. He is a Republican, she is a Democrat and as you can imagine this made for some interesting obstacles to say the least. Compromising Positions is a humorously warming read and th characters of Michael and Jessie were beautifully written and you can’t help but cheer them on. Go one-click now and get to know Michael and Jessie as they ...more
Bookish Temptations
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it

Elena's Review:

“I’m hopelessly in love with you. Can’t you see it?”

Politics, Law, Compromises, Love, Passion, — Compromising Positions, the new Adult Romance by Mary Whitney, is a great novel that leaves the reader wanting more. This is no surprise to me, since I’m a big fan of Mary Whitney. She’s the Author of Beside Your Heart and Disclosure of the Heart, books that I truly loved.

She proves her writing talent also in Compromising Positions, which I give my thumbs up, and I encourage you to add
Jane
It was fun to read a love story with a different agenda and built in conflict of interests. Two members of Congress, on Republican and one Democrat falling in love and working out their differences in politics and looking beyond political agendas to the core values of the other to find someone they could love and build a future with is an excellent story plot. The fun part of reading it was how they worked on their differences.

The romantic setting and the happy ending made Compromising Positions
Miep at The Review Loft
Strong 2.5 stars.

Cute story and great writing! I won't lie there is nothing special about this book. You can see everything coming before it comes but you still smile when you read about it. I'm confused on what happened with Trish and Larry..I get that they were secondary characters but they just disappeared the last 85% of the book

This is a good book to read when you are looking for something light and fluffy. You won't be disappointed with the writing.
Shena
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First let me say that I LOVE YOU MARY!!! I enjoyed this book more than anything I have read in a LONG time. You never cease to amaze me. The story was so all encompassing. I was so involved that I just couldn't put it down. Took my kindle to work with me for the first time ever. Great romance with just a little spicy something something. Definitely a 5 plus stars read!
Saimaa Thull
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such an enthralling and sensually stimulating novel. Can't wait to share with friends.
Kathleen Downey
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a well written story. Really enjoyed the storyline and the characters. The author did a good job going into politics as well.
Beckey Sanchez
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really like the characters, liked she was a strong female character and he was a bit cautious. And when I’m in the mood for some politics it’s Mary Whitney books I come back too.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Across the Ocean (Across the Ocean, #1)
  • จนกว่ารักบันดาลใจ
  • Merciless (The Mermen Trilogy, #3)
  • Trapped By Desire
  • Catspaw (Blackheart #1)
  • Deadly Contact
  • #1 Rival (#1 Series, #3)
  • The Prince of Pleasure (The Wilde Brothers #0.5)
  • The Righteous and the Wicked
  • Hacienda Moon (PathSeekers, #1)
  • Southern Roots (Southern Roots #1)
  • Here for You
  • Good Vibrations (Welcome to Paradise, #1)
  • Footprints (Deception #1)
  • Don't Close Your Eyes (Don't Close Your Eyes, #1)
  • Conquering Circumstances (Black Shamrocks MC, #3.5)
  • Hooked: The Complete Collection (Hooked, #1-3)
  • Liv's Existence
Mary Whitney blames Laura Ingalls Wilder and Margaret Mitchell for her obsession with romance novels. At an early age, Mary fell in love with the Little House series and its dreamy hero, Almanzo Wilder, who only wanted Laura to be Laura. Like many women, Mary later graduated to the ultimate, tall and dark bad boy, Rhett Butler, who loved Scarlett despite her flaws.

Mary has lived around the U.S., a