Start by marking “The Raven” as Want to Read:
The Raven

The Raven

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  97,753 ratings  ·  2,176 reviews
Edgar Allan Poe’s celebrated narrative poem now available as an ebook, including an extended excerpt from Mrs. Poe by Lynn Cullen, a vivid and compelling novel about a poet who becomes entangled in an affair with Edgar Allan Poe—at the same time that she becomes the unwilling confidante of his much-younger wife.
Published August 26th 2013 by Gallery Books (first published 1845)

To ask other readers questions about The Raven, please sign up.
Nicole Each stanza of the poem is given its own page, with a full-page illustration on each facing page. The poem is preceded by a 3-page introduction and fo…moreEach stanza of the poem is given its own page, with a full-page illustration on each facing page. The poem is preceded by a 3-page introduction and followed by a 19-page essay ("The Philosophy of Composition") that Poe wrote about his writing process, using "The Raven" as a specific example.(less)

·  97,753 ratings  ·  2,176 reviews

Start your review of The Raven
Sean Barrs
Shall we descend into madness? Shall we be haunted by our own desires? Shall we be consumed by that terrible facet of life known only as death? Shall we cling to what cannot be reanimated? Shall we wish for a return of something that has long been in darkness?

Shall we become obliterated by the brutal finality of such a statement as “nevermore?”

Lenore has gone. She has departed from this life, and is permanently out of the reach of the man. The raven represents the solidarity of this. Despite h
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
"The Raven" is a narrative poem by American writer Edgar Allan Poe. First published in January 1845, the poem is often noted for its musicality, stylized language, and supernatural atmosphere. It tells of a talking raven's mysterious visit to a distraught lover, tracing the man's slow fall into madness. The lover, often identified as being a student, is lamenting the loss of his love, Lenore. Sitting on a bust of Pallas, the raven seems to further instigate his distress
Annet
Nevermore! ...........
Read this poem, listen to this poem and study the drawings of Gustave Dore... and know this is a unique masterpiece. Hauntingly beautiful. Brooding, dark, desperate, mysterious... These starting lines are famous I think:
Once upon a midnight dreary,
while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume
of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping,
suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping,
rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visiter," I m
Florencia
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted—nevermore!

description

Themes such as loss and relentless melancholy - nothing foreign to Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849) - combined with a repetitive rhythm that gives it a unique and gradually oppressive musicality resulted in one of the best literary works of all time, The Raven.

This edition, first published in 1844, includes the steel-plate engravings by renowned French artist Gustave Doré (1832–1883),
Ahmed  Ejaz
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, poetry
Back into the chamber turning, all my soul within me burning,
Soon again I heard a tapping something louder than
before

WoW! What a poem it is!!

I am not into poems that much but this poem is exceptionally awesome. I couldn't stop reading this. I have read this poem at least 3 times by now. It's just that amazing. Once you started, you couldn't be able to stop until the end.
I have fallen in love with this poem of E. A. Poe. Madly!! I have even downloaded its audio version. And that's also rea
Michael
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Happy Halloween, EAP! This is probably the best poem in history ever to have sold for $9. But what is it about? That's a more difficult question. The poem has undeniable power, but its power (as in much of Poe) is not entirely susceptible of rational explication.

First, there's the sheer liturgical music of the poem, as evidenced from the very opening lines:

"Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore--
While I nodded, near
James
First... you must read the introductory stanza from Edgar Allan Poe's famous poem, The Raven. And then I'll provide a short review:

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
“’Tis some visitor,” I muttered, “tapping at my chamber door—
Only this and nothing more.”

And this is what will happen to you
Navessa

Am I the only one creeped out by ravens? Every time I hear mention of them I shudder. I mean, come on. Have you ever heard one croak? Second question; have you ever heard a tree full of them croak? I have.

There I was, minding my own business, just trying to walk home from the bus stop. I didn’t even see them until I was directly beneath the tree. I heard this strange rustling sound and thought it was weird because the leaves had already fallen. Naturally, I paused to look up. What was I met wit
Lori
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, reviewed
Can't count how many times I've read this. It's brilliant. No, that doesn't do it justice. It's...
And The Simpsons very first Halloween episode did a good job with it too. 👤
of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping,
suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping,
rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visiter," I muttered,
"tapping at my chamber door --
Only this, and nothing more."

I had started reading the Raven before but was never able to quite get through it. When I came across this illustrated version at my library I decided to give it another shot.
Samra Yusuf
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
You know the place between sleep and wake, the place where you can still remember dreaming, it’s a worst place to be in when you no longer can sleep nor can dream.we,the humans are a doomed species who ever breathed on planet earth, the moments we cherish turns into memories, the things we desire become wishes, the people we love turns into strangers, and the present we live becomes past…
We all live our dear life with a feel of loss, we all devise altered approaches to seek peace, we all at some
Alejandro
Nevermore!

RAISE RAVENS...

First of all, two things...

...one, I classified this poem as a "short story" since I haven't read so much poetry as to justify a tag for that in my personal list to describe books...

...two, I rated 4 stars, since kinda the same reason, due I haven't developed a knack for poetry, but since I was curious about this poem by Edgar Allan Poe, still I read it, and certainly I liked it quite a bit, but it's some hard to enjoy for me poetry. Nobody's fault.

This is easily
Lisa
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Look who’s tweeting now!

Fear for fear’s sake - Delusions empowered!

Heard it on The Scarecrow News last night. A tale of ominous foreboding. Tapping, rapping, something happening in the world, filling the soul with fear and worry. What happened last night in the barren field? The Scarecrow shouts it out:

“Who would believe it? The ravens? We let many in, and it has caused problems we wouldn’t have thought possible!”

But what happened? Rumours spread. Thousands and thousands of ravens attacked the
Jaya
So what do you do when you can’t sleep even the clock tell you its 2’o clock of the night? You creep yourself out by reading creepy poems where a Raven talks back to you, saying ...Nevermore...
Still can’t sleep? Listen to this rendition. (It mostly scares the daylights out of me)
Here are two of my most favorite passages, which I could once, long time back, in another lifetime, recite by rote
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mo
Calista
I love this book. If I were going to buy a pop-up, this would be the first one, or Alice in Wonderland. Hard call there. This book is a work of gothic art! Amazing. Seriously, it is so beautiful.

Goodreads has grouped this with the regular poem, it appears, but this book is specifically a pop-up book engineered by Christopher Wormell. The isbn is: 9781419721977. It should be listed separately from the poem as this is something different.

I stopped by the children’s reading room at the Library of
Jon Nakapalau
Wonderful art captures the impending doom that permeates this poem - listen to Christopher Lee recite this poem on YouTube as you turn the pages...SENDS SHIVERS DOWN MY SPINE!
Michael Sorbello
Sep 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
A macabre poem depicting a man driven to excruciating loneliness and grief from being unable to let go of the memories of his dead lover Lenore. It's a tragic tale full of death and sorrow, a tale of how one's unwillingness to let go of dark memories and past tragedies will only push them to the edge of insanity. A gothic classic.
Ivan
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not big fan of poetry but I really loved this one. Maybe it's because I listened to version read by Christopher Lee (you can find it on youtube), and it's universal rule that everything is better when heard in voice of Christopher Lee, but this is my favorite work of Poe so far.
leynes
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My only advice for reading Poe's The Raven is that you try to read it out loud as if you were performing it in front of a crowd, only then you can grab the true mastery of what this poem does on a phonetic side as well! This poem gave me chills; I will treasure it from here on out for the rest of my life.
As of some on
Peter Meredith
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I write this review as someone who dislikes poetry, or maybe I should say, before I'm attacked by the poetry police, that I have disliked every poem forced down my throat by well meaning sadistic teachers. (Someone please explain the antithetical concept of a well meaning sadist. I'm afraid I might have made that up and it makes no sense.)
The Raven I enjoyed. Perhaps because of its length. For me, a poem can't be too long. The longer the poem, the higher my risk of death(probably through suicide
Charles  van Buren
Charles van Buren
TOP 1000 REVIEWER

1.0 out of 5 stars
No illustrations in this illustrated edition

July 11, 2019
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase

Review of free Kindle edition
A Public Domain Book
Publication date: May 17, 2012
Language: English
ASIN: B0084B68X0

This edition is supposed to be illustrated by Gustave Dore' but as I have come to expect from free Kindle editions the illustrations are missing. There is a list of the illustrations and even the names of the engravers but no Gustave Dore'
Nick Pageant
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this yesterday for probably the 150th time and want to say thanks to dear old Edgar.
I teach therapeutic writing to some quite reluctant students. They literally groan when they see me coming. Each class I struggle to find material that they will relate to in some small way. I chose this standard out of equal parts desperation and resignation... and it worked. Eyes lit up! Comments were made! Unity of effect in good poetry was discussed! Thank you, Edgar Allan Poe, you saved my butt.

As t
Carol
Death and Sorrow

A tragic and creepy poem about a RAVEN who hauntingly appears as a (spirit?) 'rapping' on a man's door who is distraught over the loss of his love Lenore. (or did the man murder Lenore and the Raven came to collect his soul?)

The last verse: "And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor-------Shall be lifted Nevermore".

Markus
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortals ever dared to dream before."

One of the most hauntingly beautiful, and influential, poems of our time, The Raven was the first work I read by Edgar Allan Poe, the first time many, many years ago.

It’s stayed with me since then, most solidly in the form of the audio narration by the late Christopher Lee (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Befli...). If you haven't listened to this piece of
Tammy
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m obsessed with this poem sobbing every time I read or listen to it. His dark despair makes my stomach churn.

Beginning of poem:

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
“’Tis some visitor,” I muttered, “tapping at my chamber door—
Only this and nothing more.”

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the
Sh3lly

I think my Classics Stupid™ mind kicked in with this one, because... it was ... okay?

But Nevermore is a bad-ass name for a raven.

I found out Poe married his first cousin and she was 13 and he was 27. That's creepy. However, no one can seem to agree whether they even consummated the marriage. It is clear they loved each other, but whether it was a sexually romantic love is unclear?
Ethan
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was at the library checking this book out, the librarian looked at me somewhat strangely. Thinking little of it at first, I headed for the library door. As I got outside I thought about her odd look more and more, and soon after I looked down and leafed through the copy of The Raven I had checked out...and it was illustrated! It's a kid's book!

*facepalming*

Well whatever. It's almost Halloween and it's slim pickings at the library right now for any Poe books; they're almost all checked out
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
I've read this so many times I've lost count, but I still adore it. The imagery, the creepiness, the frenetic cadence it takes on when read aloud... Pure awesomeness. I try to read it every Halloween.
Sara
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Raven is a poem that can be appreciated on several levels, not the least of which is construction. One of the most perfectly constructed alliterative poems ever penned, who has not thrilled to "and the silken, sad, uncertain rustling of each purple curtain"? It trips off the tongue and at the same time it calls up a perfect image of a Gothic library with heavy curtains that should not, but do, rustle.

It is a study in loneliness, mourning, stress and madness. As the narrator tells us the tale
Don't fail to see the light today 1 4 Mar 23, 2020 04:39AM