Start by marking “Skip to My Lou” as Want to Read:
Skip to My Lou

Skip to My Lou

Called a "riotous story" by Booklist and an "expertly executed picture book" by School Library Journal, and named a Best Children's Book by both Learning magazine and Redbook, Nadine Bernard Westcott's hilarious twist on a familiar old song is now available in a sturdy board book format perfect for little hands.
Board Book, 32 pages
Published April 1st 2000 by LB Kids (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Skip to My Lou, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skip to My Lou

SaraLaLa
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, to-buy
This is another song book, which can be fun. I didn't grow up singing this song, though, so I find myself getting a little tongue tied in different spots, making it less enjoyable for me (perhaps I jut need a little more practice). I'll admit that the song is cute, though. I'm not in love with the illustrative style, but it does depict what's going on in the song very well.

I'll admit to not knowing what the phrase "skip to my Lou" meant, so I looked it up. In case anyone else is interested, I'l
Jackie Sisley
This book is based on the well-known children's song "Skip to My Lou" that many of us grew up hearing. It has many of the same verses as the original, with a few extra, silly verses thrown in for the plot of the story. This book pairs spectacularly with music and movement activities seeing as the book is a song and children who are familiar with the song or have read the book before may happily sing along with you as you read or even read the book to you instead. This book is an engaging delight ...more
Tessa Duncan
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: farm, song, sing-along, animals
When the farmer leaves the farm for a while, the animals decide that its their turn to play. The cats get into the milk, the pigs hangout in the parlor, and the cows destroy the kitchen. Thankfully they manage to get everything cleaned up before the farmer comes back. The entire book can be sung to the tune of "Skip to my lou".
Whitney Leanhart
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Skip to My Lou is a great book about animals having fun with a human. They dance around the house singing Skip to my Lou and make a huge mess. They all start cleaning when it gets closer to the time the parents are suppose to be coming home. With teamwork they get the house looking spotless and the parents had no idea.
Kaitlyn
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Know ahead of time that if you are reading this to a group of kids, it will be loud. Expect to pause on every page so the can see the pictures. The pictures are amazing, I am an adult and I will still stare at each page for WAY too long. Any preschool, pre-k, or kindergarten class would love it, and once it's read to them, they will request it more and more.
Jennifer Steele
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
When I first read the book I was not much into it. Then I realized that it read at the tune of “skip to my Lou” and it made a lot more sense when it was sung out loud. Children would indeed enjoy this book.
Raquel
Personally, I like to keep songs and stories separate. However, when children see the printed word for songs their vocabulary is enriched. In addition,keeping this book around to look and chant is a good reminder of traditions kept throughout generations.
Magaly Almario
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-class-books
Great song book, the larger size is ideal for a big group of children and/or a classroom setting. The big colorful illustrations are so much fun. It helps practice pronunciation and as well as recalling the events using memory and repetition.
Ndengo Bwanga
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this book because it is a great musical notation. Children can learn while they’re singing. This book can also serve for transition. So, after reading this book; children can do music and movement.
Kendall Smith
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nursery-rhymes
Grade Level: Pre K-2
Awards: None
Summary: This adaptation of the classic nursery rhyme "Skip to My Lou" takes place on a farm. Each page has a short rhyme about the animals on the farm making a mess. After the mess is made by the animals they have to quickly clean the house before the farmer gets home.
Review: This book can be interesting for younger kids because of the funny things going on. It turns a short nursery rhyme into something much longer for the kids.
In Class: This can be used to tea
Mandy Scheuren
I chose another children’s book adapted and illustrated by Nadine Bernard Westcott because the material was eye-catching. Watercolors and ink make up the illustrations. Her work once again takes up both pages, which is an excellent idea. It is easy for a child to become easily distracted with a book when the color isn’t the best or perhaps too simple of pictures. Each page possesses the activity that is going on for example on one page the pigs in the parlor are eating pancakes and then found on ...more
Brandice Harrison
This is a songbook with the classic song that I have known since I was little. It is not one that is very common anymore but I think that children would love to sing this in school and maybe get kids moving in the morning or before outside time. I like the illustrations in this book and this book is also a BIG BOOK which would be great for younger children or in a small group.
Matthew
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a silly book following the framework of the song Skip to My Lou. It was amusing, especially with the hilarity of the illustrations. The animals are rather unusual to put it mildly. The book wraps up nicely in the same way that The Cat in the Hat does with the animals helping to tidy up before the boy's parents get home. Kids would like this. It's fun and simple.
Dolly
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We just love this book by Nadine Bernard Westcott. The illustrations are hilarious and the rhyming song is very catchy; one that I remember singing many times as a child. We have read (sung) this book over and over and over again!
Margaret Chind
I love this! I read (aka sang...) this book for my daughter tonight and it was a fit of giggles. Then she sat there with it in hand (perfect size for her 2-1/2 year old fingers) and tried to sing it to herself in bits and pieces. Tons of stuff going on in the photos. I am sure she will love it and be entertained much more in the future. Great buy!
Miriam
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
M loves me to "say it" and then "sing it" alternately. The singing it part came in handy when she decided halfway into a kayak trip that she wanted to go back, we sang the whole way back (against a headwind of course).
J
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I took this book to an event where I was reading and playing with kids. It was a huge hit. Kids were eager to sing along, and there are lots of entertaining things happening in the pictures. Perfect for reading aloud.
Sharon
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Steve and Sara had this book for their kids, and I loved the illustrations for the different verses (especially the sheep taking their clothes off to take a bath). Once I had kids, I tracked it down, and realized it was part of a set.
Annette Taylor-james
This book tells us and shows us how quickly things can go wrong; from just Skipping to My Lou. Lots of actions can be seen; what a chaos, phew! good read indeed.
Melissa
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: james
Loved it! Kept laughing at the silliness when I sang it.
Buxmont Uu
Aug 31, 2014 added it
Shelves: re-library, cc
CC 4
Elizabeth
Jul 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Josette
Shelves: baby-toddler
At first I only "liked it." But now Catherine wanders around the house singing, "Lou Lou," and Santi starts dancing when I read it. So it needed an upgrade to four stars. Thanks, Josette.
LoriAnn Kocialski
May 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-hannah
It was juts ok!
Datoria
Nov 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, poetry
i LOVED THIS RHYME AS CHILD. iT WOULD JUST BE FUN TO HAVE IN THE CLASS.
Gail
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
It didn't quite capture my 17-month old's interest.
Ellen
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-to-sing
I'm a big fan of Nadine Bernard Westcott's variations on traditional songs. This one is no exception.
Debra
Apr 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I love the lyrics to Skip to my lou. The book is in a toddler thick page for little hands. Sing to your children with skip to my lou.
Mckinley
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, picture, music
Read this sooo many times while in MA
Megan Staten
A great predictable book for emergent readers. Rhymes and has a song to go with it. Most kids probably already know the story.
Helen Jeffries
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
The book follows the rhythm of the song. It is a great book for younger readers.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Over in the Meadow
  • Five Little Ducks
  • Miss Mary Mack
  • Mary Had a Little Lamb
  • Let's Play in the Forest While the Wolf Is Not Around!
  • This Little Chick
  • Meeow and the Pots and Pans
  • Hickory Dickory Dog
  • Old Macdonald Had A Woodshop
  • This Land is Your Land
  • Brownie & Pearl Step Out
  • The Animal Boogie
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Shell!
  • Row Row Row Your Boat
Nadine Bernard Westcott is the illustrator of many popular books for children, including Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash and Mrs. McNosh and the Great Big Squash, as well as the author and illustator of The Lady With The Alligator Purse. She used to spend many hours chasing after her dog, who would come home only when ready and not a minute sooner. Ms. Westcott lives on Nantucket with her husband, B ...more