Start by marking “Quality Snacks” as Want to Read:
Quality Snacks

Quality Snacks

In a wide range of forms and tones, the fifteen stories in Andy Mozina’s new collection, Quality Snacks, center on high-stakes performances by characters trying to gratify both deep and superficial needs, often with unexpected consequences. Driven by strange ambitions, bungled love, and a taste for—or abject fear of—physical danger, the collection’s characters enact the pa ...more
Published May 1st 2014 by Wayne State University Press

To ask other readers questions about Quality Snacks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quality Snacks

Rebecca Foster
(3.5) Middle America, middle age, middle management, middling happiness: the majority of these 15 stories, many of them set in the Milwaukee / Chicago area, show burnt-out middle-aged men reconsidering their marriages and careers. That might sound boring, but the waste ground of suburban angst is a surprisingly fertile territory for humorous fiction. (See my “Related reads” below.) As the narrator of “Proofreader” laments, “I hated the idea that our character stays basically the same and that it ...more
Darrin Doyle
Oct 16, 2015 Darrin Doyle rated it it was amazing
I have found a kindred spirit, and his name is Andy.
Lynai
Mar 26, 2014 Lynai rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Raymond Carver
Also posted in It's A Wonderful Bookworld.

I was browsing some titles on Net Galley and on a whim I decided to request Andy Mozina’s Quality Snacks only after reading that it is a short story collection. I have been on a short story collection quest these days, you see, and I can not resist the temptation of sampling this collection even if I haven’t heard about the author yet.

Quality Snacks is a collection of fifteen stories — some bizarre, some hilarious, some haunting, all of great writing and
Zinta
Apr 16, 2014 Zinta rated it it was amazing
It begins with a lie. A good one. The author, after all, is an expert liar. He disarms you for only a moment when he admits it, his expression unchanged.

Andy Mozina, an English professor at Kalamazoo College since 1999 and author of the new story collection, Quality Snacks (Wayne State University Press, May 2014), makes his admission, or confession, on air in a recent interview for the Arts and More program at the WMUK radio station, Kalamazoo’s NPR affiliate. Yes, he lies, he says.

As do all fic
Trevor Vader
Jul 28, 2014 Trevor Vader rated it it was amazing
Andy Mozina is the Richard Hamilton of short story writing. You remember Richard Hamilton, right? He was a shooting guard for the Pistons when they won the championship in '04. This metaphor is excellent and interesting and I promise you won't be disappointed if you follow me down the road to Sports Metaphor Town.

First, let's look at the tale of the tape. Richard Hamilton (actually, the Pistons' announcers always called him "Rip" so let's call him that here) was tall (six-foot seven) but a mere
Benjamin Champagne
Jun 26, 2014 Benjamin Champagne rated it really liked it
made in michigan.
these stories are a lot like drinking the end of a bag of chips and discovering meat stuck in between your teeth afterwards. how'd that get there? it went down so smooth, i don't remember chewing. the stories are so playful. his attack on literature is literal and yet bolstered by a theory of universalism that is supplied by antagonists. complex ideas about our cultures rote and most simple offerings are dispersed between characters you recognize as being family.
a particularly
Patrik
Jul 26, 2014 Patrik rated it it was amazing
It is always difficult to rate a book. This is especially true for a collection of short stories written by friend and colleague (at Kalamazoo College). Being from Sweden I'm a universalist, always applying the same rules and standards to all people, thus I want my review to be fair.

I'm also unsure what the protocol is for short stories; are you supposed to rate each story and then calculate the arithmetic mean? Do you choose the median as the number of stars? Perhaps the mode? Or do you give th
Azahara Arenas (Living in Our Own Story Blog)
Quality Snacks is a collection of apparently random short stories that as a unit make an amazing creative world.

The narration is detailed and well taken care of. It took me some time to get into the narrative rhythm because I am not used to reading short stories. Though after I read the first 5 I really get into the story.

One of the things I liked the most were the surprises that where behind each short story. It brought suspense into the narrative. My favourite short story was Pelvis, it get st
Sean Kottke
Nov 21, 2015 Sean Kottke rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Of the first five stories, only one resonated with me ("Overpass"), and I almost put it away. But I thought I'd give it one more story, which was a good idea: the next story, "A Talented Individual" was sublime, and sustained my motivation for the rest of the collection. The title story is excellent, as are "Self-Reliance" and "My Nonsexual Affair," all of which depict men on the margins of changing economies and expectations of male roles. The final story, "No Joy in Santa's Village," is master ...more
Leslie
Apr 05, 2014 Leslie rated it liked it
A random, unrelated collection of mostly quirky short stories. For me, they were a little uneven - some humorous and fun, and a few that I just didn't get. (I thought “Self-Reliance” was hysterical, although some might be put-off by the subject matter.) I prefer connected short stories, so I am probably not the target market here, but an interesting collection none-the-less.

This was a bookclub pick with a visit from the author. He was a delightful speaker and an interesting guy. I appreciated t
Loreen Niewenhuis
Jan 24, 2015 Loreen Niewenhuis rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Mozina's earlier collection of short stories -- The Women Were Leaving the Men -- so I was eager to read this new collection. It is a delightfully wry look at life in the Midwest. Mozina has been compared to George Sanders (another favorite writer of mine), but Mozina has his own voice and place and way of using a rusty can opener to get at the souls of his characters.

Great read.
Reading Fool
Apr 04, 2014 Reading Fool rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, 2014
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Andy Mozina has written an entertaining, eclectic, sometimes funny but always thought-provoking set of short stories. The topics are seemingly random and Vonnegut-like. Enjoyed this a great deal.
Mark Wisniewski
Feb 17, 2014 Mark Wisniewski rated it it was amazing
Mozina is one of America's best short story writers. His work has long been underrated, his upside from now on huge. The stories in QUALITY SNACKS are sharp, funny, striking, thought-provoking, poignant, surprising, and written as well as any. They'll electrify you. You'll cherish them.
Kim
Aug 16, 2014 Kim rated it it was ok
It's not my thing. A couple of stories were okay, but the rest was not for me. I rated it 2 because it's a Michigan author.
Ben
Jul 27, 2015 Ben rated it it was amazing
Laughed continuously and aloud throughout "Self Reliance."
Rhonda Lomazow
Mar 29, 2014 Rhonda Lomazow rated it it was amazing
This is a book of short stories that brings forth every emotion .you will laugh feel sad &enjoy every story.For all those who really love reading wonderfully written short stories grab this book.
Monique Depope
Monique Depope rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2014
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it liked it
May 06, 2014
Shawna Gallagher
Shawna Gallagher rated it it was ok
Oct 11, 2014
Carly
Carly rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Ben White
Ben White rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2015
Joseph Harris
Joseph Harris rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Nania
Nania rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2014
Bob Dukelow
Bob Dukelow rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2015
Bill
Bill rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2014
Katey Schultz
Katey Schultz rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Frank Tempone
Frank Tempone rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
Alyssa Knickerbocker
Alyssa Knickerbocker rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2014
Annette Gilson
Annette Gilson rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2014
Christina
Christina rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2016