Start by marking “Messenger of Fear (Messenger of Fear, #1)” as Want to Read:
Messenger of Fear (Messenger of Fear, #1)

Messenger of Fear (Messenger of Fear #1)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  4,287 Ratings  ·  684 Reviews
I remembered my name – Mara. But, standing in that ghostly place, faced with the solemn young man in the black coat with silver skulls for buttons, I could recall nothing else about myself.

And then the games began.

The Messenger sees the darkness in young hearts, and the damage it inflicts upon the world. If they go unpunished, he offers the wicked a game. Win, and they can
Published September 23rd 2014 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Messenger of Fear, please sign up.
Féline Hystad There isn't any romance, but there is the possibility for a tricky romance in the future; you know, hot guy that the girl can't have, and if she wants…moreThere isn't any romance, but there is the possibility for a tricky romance in the future; you know, hot guy that the girl can't have, and if she wants him, she doesn't know it yet...
(less)
Augusta Dial
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jack
Oct 07, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
AUGUST. THAT'S ONLY A FEW MONTHS AWAY

I CANNOT FUNCTION RIGHT NOW

How's The Messenger look? DOES HE HAVE A CAPE?

(Really hoping he does)

I NEED THIS BOOK LIKE I NEED FUDGE IN MY LIFE

Mike
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Original review, written before the book was released (preserved because Michael Grant himself liked it):

Messenger of Fear is going to be about a teenage boy delivering copies of the fifth book in the Gone series to people. A little... pretentious for its author to write about that, don't you think?

(Just kidding - I have no idea what this is about, but it's going to be awesome.)

My new review:

Whatever compliments you might give to Michael Grant's writing, he is not a subtle author. By any extent
C.G. Drews
This is the 9th book I've read by Michael Grant. Am I a little addicted? HA. Of course not. No, no, I just have a mild interest in all things creepy and strange...which Michael Grant happens to writes with perfection. Seriously, the dude is master of imagination. Creepy and weird and scary imagination.

The things he comes up with? Nightmarish. Which suits his new book just fine.

How to describe Messenger of Fear? Um...scary? Okay, I get it... You want more than that. It's phenomenal. Yes, I'm
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Back from my hiatus but alas, the first book I read just had to be a disappointing read .-.

I think it's quite apparent that Messenger of Fear is a polarising read. I haven't actually read anything by this guy before, so I wasn't absolutely sure what to expect--what I knew was that his Gone series is crazy popular--so I hoped that this one would be just as amazing. Perhaps, it is just as amazing as his Gone series but clearly this book is not my cup of tea.

A g
Annie
Feb 25, 2014 marked it as to-read
HOLD IT RIGHT THERE.

How did I not know about this until now?

This is going to be awesome.

Except for the fact that it comes out in September. I keep getting freaked out about all these books coming out in the fall because I'll be in college and I have no idea how much library access I'll have.

Christina Anastasia Stavridi
Oh.My.God. This was so...so...Yeah,you get the point.Most of you haven't read this yet so I'be carefull with spoilers.

The plot is about Mara a girl who wakes up surrounded by strange mist with no memories and meets a strange young man who calls himself Messenger of Fear.

The fiction part of the story was truly amazing (I was mesmerized by the strange and scary new world Michael Grant introduces us to) but what I really loved was that this book has at its center REAL-LIFE problems mixed with the
Dannii Elle
I was anticipating great things from this book after reading the warning for sensitive readers that adorns the back cover. I like my fiction dark and both the cover and the synopsis promised to deliver that.

This is the tale of Mara. The reader is introduced to her through her entrance into a dream-like phase of her life, where fantasy becomes reality and the rules that govern our world are continually broken. Both Mara and the reader are equally as disturbed and confused by the events occurring
Carly
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, horror
This book was so weird that it was really good! Michael Grant is king of the peculiar.
Summary: Mara wakes up one day with no memory of who she is, where she came from, and how she got there. All she knows is her name. To make matters worse, she is visited by a dark haunting boy who calls himself the Messenger of Fear. Not only is Mara enthralled because of his dark looks and mysterious past, but he can also stop time, time travel, read minds, and conjure up a strange green mist that seems more m
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
Take your *insert whoever* to work day, is it???

Because, it seems, that's all Michael Grant deals with in Messenger of Fear. Our protagonist is introduced to a great deal of passive torment, and then some she herself doles out.

That is all there is to this book. All you need to know. And as such, the story doesn't really make much progress from the initial point. Just lessons learned, I guess? Who the fuck cares "aboot" that?

The tale is narrated to us in the voice of an amnesiac teenage girl who
Stella  Chen
Jul 29, 2013 marked it as to-read
The Cover is errr...Not the best.

I don't care what this is about, I need it.
Braiden
3.5 stars.

Many people know that Michael Grant is my favourite YA writer, mostly because of the characters and themes he imbued into the Gone series. But unfortunately, unlike Gone and BZRK (which I have read and loved both in their entirety), Messenger of Fear did not have any characters that I liked. Maybe it was because most of the cast were spectral beings. Also, as it wasn't until the final chapters of the book when we actually got some answers, these characters had big question marks floati
Nicola
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking at Michael Grant's Wikipedia page and was shocked to discover that he has written over 150 books. That's right, one hundred and fifty. How is this the first book of his that I have read?! Where have I been?

I don't normally read a lot of supernatural fiction. That means I don't necessarily know all the ins and outs of what makes a fantastic supernatural book. What I do know is that Messenger of Fear is a crazy, weird and creepy story that intrigued and captured my imagination from
Astrid Langeveld
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mara ontwaakt in een heuse nachtmerrie. Ze ontmoet de Angstaanjager, een jongeman die mensen voor een bloedstollende keuze stelt. Hij dwingt Mara om de meest angstaanjagende taferelen bij te wonen. Maar waarom? Lezen vanaf ca. 15 jaar. Je moet er even in komen, omdat het in het begin nog een beetje vaag is, maar hoe verder je in het boek komt hoe meer je komt te weten over de Angstaanjager. Dit boek is echt een aanrader!
Joost
De Angstaanjager, het eerste deel van een spannende en mysterieuze serie van Michael Grant! Lees hier mijn recensie:
Siobhan
Michael Grant is an author who has caught my attention on many occasions. More than one of his series have whispered a ‘read me’ in the book store, yet I always found my attention pulled elsewhere. With how big a fan base Michael Grant has, however, I decided it was finally time for me to dive into his work. Thus, when I saw the two Messenger of Fear novels on offer, I decided to take the leap.

In reality, Messenger of Fear is more of a three-point-five-star rating rather than the three-star rati
Diamond
Full Review on my blog @ Dee's Reads

One of the genres I rarely read are thrillers; but a thriller with a supernatural element? Messenger of Fear had me interested because of the unusual braid of genres and the really cool cover (I love that color blue). I guess it doesn’t take much for me to step out of my comfort zone. Add a little of a genre I tend to love and a color-pleasing cover and I’ll try you out! But seriously though, I’m so glad I did.

“Yes, Mara,” he said with a sense of finality, as

I have to say that I didn't really enjoy this book, although I appreciated the twist at the end.

Mara was an okay character and what she was going through wasn't very nice. I couldn't really relate to her though, and even by the end of the book I didn't really like her, if anything I liked her less.

The storyline in this was a nice idea, but the execution was just off for me.
Jacquelyn
Oct 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Ughhhhh... so confusing and I skimmed most. I did not like this one! I will not be continuing on with the series.
Epizeuxis
Aug 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who: have read Grant's past work, want a quick bit of fantasy.
I was given a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. This has not affected my opinion of this book nor the content of this critique in any way.

3 1/2 stars

"He is not indifferent, that's the thing. His too-near voice that seems always to be whispering in my ear is held to a standard of cool detachment, but his eyes and his mouth and his forehead and the way he swallows all speak of reflected pain."

The opening installment to Michael Grant's new series seems largely a routine af
Rayne
Messenger of Fear is basically what you would get if Hot Topic and an After School Special had a baby: from the obvious, cliched bullying, to the seemingly philosophical realization that, *gasp*, there's both good and evil inside all of us, and right down to the tight, faux leather clothing, the crazy and totes rebellious colors for hair and cosmetics, tattoos and the cheesy skull buttons in a black, long, Goth jacket, because why not? That's how creatures of the underworld/otherworld/whatever-t ...more
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
This was one of my most anticipated reads of the year, mostly because I loved Michael Grant's Gone series, but I also thought that this sounded like such an interesting book!
I was sort of mislead, though, because I was under the impression that this would be at least a little bit scary. But, no, it's about teaching those who've done wrong a lesson. I was okay with this. I actually thought it had a very intriguing idea. Basical
Gabrielle
This book was unlike anything I've ever read and it was super interesting but it kind of fell short for me this is just a quick review.

Characters: i didn't feel connected to any of the characters the messenger i feel should've stayed ominous and mysterious that would've been a better approach. Mara was okay but rather boring i didn't care for her much. Oriax and Daniel were kind of unnecessary. i did like the other characters in the mini story lines i liked meeting each one but again i didn't fe
Y. C.
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
From what I've observed in the last few years, all YA novels can be categorized under three broad headings:

One. Paranormal Romance. That's your typical novel, the Mortal Instruments, the Twilights, the Vampire Academies. The genre is saturated with these.

Two, the realistic or non-paranormal literature more often than not with their share of the romance, things like the Hunger Games, the Fault in our Stars, The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants.

And Three, my favourite and least common, science
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I really liked the whole concept behind this story but sadly the writing style kept me from truly enjoying it as much as I had hoped I would.
I think because of the synopsis and this being my first Grant book, I was expecting a little too much and we all know what can happen when we go into a story expecting something and not getting it. It makes it hard to plow through and really enjoy what is happening in it and connecting to the characters like we need to.

Instead of getting into the story I fo
Rashika (is tired)
When I finished this book, I had no idea how to rate it. I have no idea whether it was amazing, or meh or just plain old likeable and I think the reason for that is because while it deals with so many interesting things in such interesting ways, it also seems a little flat at times. Not as intense as one would imagine a book like this to be. But let me define what I mean when I say ‘a book like this’.

This is a book that deals with the idea of handing out justice. It deals with things like bully
Jazmen
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I can totally see how Michael Grant has written a crap load of books. It's clear this man has some talent, and a bunch of crazy ideas living inside of his head--which I must admit, after reading, Messenger of Fear--I think it's a creepy place.

Messenger of Fear was eery to say the least. It felt like I was reading this book with a shadow sitting over my shoulder. I could be wimpy or just easily scared but this book gave me goosebumps--at least for some parts of this book. Some parts of this book
Sarah Churchill
I didn't really know what to expect from The Messenger of Fear, but it wasn't this. It's very cryptic but never boring, philosophical but also brutal (and at one point pretty gruesome). Something about this book reminded me of Hellraiser, if Pinhead had been into philosophy.

A perfect Halloween read, I'm really glad I picked it up this month. The only downside for me was the big finale, which I saw coming from very early in the story because there were just too many clues to ignore. I wish it cou
satomi noda 📚
My opinion of this book can be summed up in 5 words: Michael Grant does it again. Messenger of Fear was an interesting book that I struggled to put down, picking it back up as soon as I could. The mystery kept my attention, though I had a hint of what the 'twist' would be around the halfway point, and I was kind of correct. Still, Messenger of Fear did not disappoint, and I can't wait to start The Tattooed Heart!
Shannon
This was a really, really, really weird book.
Katya
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
This book is cool in a way "The Blood of Eden" wishes it was.

(Not trashing "The Blood of Eden" obviously. I kinda liked those books, even though I lost patience with Allie a lot halfway through "The Eternity Cure.")

So you know how it is, you're sitting around, reading your Julie Kagawa, and you suddenly get a feeling you're reading the description of a movie? When I reviewed that book, I described it as "cinematic", although "trying too hard" would have been equally appropriate. It just seemed
YA Buddy Readers'...: Messenger of Fear series - Starting April 29th 2017 7 6 Apr 30, 2017 02:07AM
Bookreads :): Messenger of Fear 1 1 Jan 09, 2016 11:25AM
Good Horror Books? 2 7 Sep 12, 2015 08:01PM
SEQUEL?!?!?! 3 18 Jan 06, 2015 12:50PM
  • The Far Dawn (The Atlanteans, #3)
  • Blackbird (Blackbird, #1)
  • Sleep No More (Charlotte Westing Chronicles, #1)
  • Wild
  • The Shadow's Curse (The Knots Sequence, #2)
  • The Aftermath (Aftermath #1)
  • Salt & Storm (Salt & Storm, #1)
  • (Don't You) Forget About Me
  • Made for You
  • Feral
  • The Bodies We Wear
  • The Invisible (Brokenhearted, #2)
  • Fiendish
  • Meridian (Arclight, #2)
  • The Willing
  • Where the Rock Splits the Sky
  • Beware the Wild (Beware the Wild, #1)
  • House of Ivy & Sorrow
Okay, trying this again. Goodreads lost the bio I just spent 30 minutes writing. So now it's just going to be incoherent rambling. Yes, the earlier draft was also incoherent rambling, but way better.

I'm the co-author or author of about 160 books, including the ANIMORPHS series, the GONE series, the BZRK series, the MAGNIFICENT 12 series (Mommy, make him stop saying series!), the MESSENGER OF FEAR
More about Michael Grant

Messenger of Fear (3 books)
  • The Tattooed Heart (Messenger of Fear, #2)
  • Untitled (Messenger of Fear, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“The fool says 'I never intended to kill. I meant only to wound.' But I tell you that if you prick a finger with a poisoned thorn you may not claim innocence when the heart dies. Do not plant a weed and pretend surprise when it grows to strangle your garden. For, I tell you that hate is to kill, for from hatred grows death as surely as life grows from love. Therefore do not nurture hatred, but love, even for those who hate you in return. Hatred wins many battles, and yet love will triumph.” 3 likes