Start by marking “Revolt in 2100/Methuselah's Children” as Want to Read:
Revolt in 2100/Methuselah's Children

Revolt in 2100/Methuselah's Children

Revolt in 2100: After the fall of the American Ayatollahs (as foretold in Stranger in a Strange Land) there is a Second American Revolution; for the first time in human history there is a land with Liberty and Justice for All. Methuselah's Children: Americans are fiercely proud of the freedom they seized in Revolt in 2100. Nothing could make them forswear it. Nothing ...more
Published November 1st 1998 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Revolt in 2100/Methuselah's Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revolt in 2100/Methuselah's Children

Start your review of Revolt in 2100/Methuselah's Children
Heather's Mum
Sep 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sciencefiction
The Howard Families, (Methuselah's Children), by carefully choosing individuals for reproducing, now expect to live as long as 150 years old.

Society wants their secret. They don't have one to offer ...other than selective breeding. The Howards flee persecution to another world.

Eventually, Lazarus, and a majority of the Families, decide it's time to go back to Earth. Surprise conditions await them.

I'd enjoy reading this again, as details have faded from my memory.
Patrick
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think Revolt in 2100 is important to read now as it foreshadows a lot of what is taking place in our society today and what the eventual outcome of those trends will be if we don't wake up. Unfortunately given the way things are going, I don't see the majority waking up.
Mike Stone,
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing

These are a bunch of vintage Heinleins - the stuff that made him great.

Revolt in 2100 contains three stories, the main one being "If This Goes On". For half a century, America has been ruled by a religious dictatorship, founded by Nehemiah Scudder, a TV evangelist elected President in 2012. "The next election was never held". The Church seems to be an amalgamation of the wilder Protestant sects, very down on Catholics, Mormons, Freemasons and (surprise, surprise) Jews, who are renamed "Pariahs".
Erik
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The first book, Revolt in 2100, mostly serve to build a setting for the second book. The theocracy that rule before the revolution is interesting and so is the nation that replace it but the revolution itself is quite dull. The story feature typical Heinlein characters, able and hardworking average Joes that do what they're supposed to do which somehow put them in essential roles within the the plot resulting in everything working out for the best. The two stories following the revolution, ...more
Steve
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: heinlein, i-own
Both novels are classic Heinlein. Thoughtful science fiction written many years ago and addressing issues that can be applied to the issues of today.
Jason
Apr 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jason by: Comment on CommonDreams.org
Great collection of previously released material from Heinlein's "future history" timeline. The first story in the collection, "If This Goes On...," describes an American theocracy and the efforts of the Cabal (apparently Freemasonry) to overthrow it and return to the traditions of a democratic republic. "Coventry" (the second story, and my favorite) is about an anarchist citizen of the subsequent society who rejects its Covenant (a document rooted in general semantics) and discovers that is is ...more
Matt
Sep 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Revolt in 2100 is a series of short novels depicting the rise and fall of an American dystopia. Nehemiah Scudder, who calls himself The Prophet, is a man who warps religious beliefs into power. He becomes a tyrant over the United States, and cuts it off from all outside civilization. The entire country worships him, for fear of death if they don't. A small group of renegades known as the Cabal begin to fight back, and our protagonist, John Lyle, soon joins them, but finds it harder than he ...more
Doug Luberts
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of two novellas by Heinlein.

Revolt in 2100 was a blast. I heard about it from another Freemason and had to read it, since it's one of those rare pieces of modern fiction where Masons are the good guys, outside of 'National Treasure.'

Heinlein wasn't a Freemason, but he either read some exposes of Masonic ritual, or had some other very good inside sources on Masonic ritual.

Methuselah's Children is part of a continuing story arc. It's classic, and part of Heinlein at his best.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
If you really want to enjoy these stories, buy 'The Past through Tomorrow', which collects most of Mr. Heinlein's connected short stories in one easy-to-read volume. I bought this book at a bookstore thinking it'd be some new stories (I really ought to have checked the back of the book!) This publisher leaves a lot to be desired in way of how they have handled and organized some of Mr. Heinlein's work.

Again, buy 'The Past through Tomorrow'. It is a much more complete/definitive book than this
Ewok117 (Who has a cooler username than you)
Robert A. Heinlein does it again! This was the fourth or fifth of his books i have read, and none have disappointed me yet. The action levels were lower in this one, swapped out for a perfect dose of suspense. Another cast of beliveable characters, accurate locations, and future history. I wouldn't recommend it for a girl, unless you happen to be a die-hard Henlein fan. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go and check out "Rocket Ship Gailileo" from a library!
Joshua
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
I only read the first one. After that, I had so little drive to read the second one, I didn't. Unremarkable characters, unremarkable plot/storyline, it was just a run of the mill old-school sci-fi book. Most interesting parts are those where you note the things the author hadn't planned on existing in the future that we have now.
Samacgillivray
Say hello to Woodrow Wilson Smith AKA Lazarus Long and the Howard family. This book introduces Lazarus and the family who's secret is worth giving up your freedom and your country or so non family members believe. Start here to follow Lazarus through his adventures in time and space. He is a lovable rogue!
Squeaky
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Heinlein's thoughts, in the postscript to Revolt In 2100, on the rise of religious fanaticism are apropos to our current situation. "The custodians of the True Faith cannot logically admit tolerance of heresy to be a virtue."
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
American's have a second revolution to achieve freedom from the ayatollahs in "Revolt in 2100". In "Methuselah's Children", some people have much longer lives and everyone elase wants the secret to immortality.
Claire
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Apparently, my former adoration of everything sci-fi has not persisted to current content contemplation of this work of Heinlein expertise. Oops.

Heinlein IS an incredible writer, don't get me wrong! It's just this work has gotten on my last nerve.
Sally
Sep 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Revolt in 2100 was too disjointed for me - it was more like several novellas strung together and not too coherently at that. I did enjoy Methuselah's Children. It had Heinlein's trademark dry humor and general philosophy of life.
Katey
Sep 29, 2008 rated it liked it
These two stories are interesting, but they feel unfinished. Right about the time you're really excited about the story, it just stops.
Jay
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Revolt in 2100,+1 million. A fine warning on the dangers of theocracy. Methuselah's Children, meh. Not one of Heinlein's best works.
Drew
Mar 26, 2010 added it
Methuselah's Children by Heinlein Robert A. (1960)
Becki Ramsey
Apr 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I only read Methuselah's Children at the recommendation of my husband.
Traummachine
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Revolt in 2100: 4 stars
Methuselah's Children: 3.5 stars
Stephen Avery
Apr 20, 2013 rated it liked it
What he does best - action SF with a little bit of preaching
Dan
Jp Jaborska
rated it it was ok
Sep 24, 2013

• Lift
  • A Winter Haunting (Seasons of Horror, #2)
  • Magister Trilogy (3 Book Series)
  • The Coldfire Trilogy: Black Sun Rising/ When True Night Falls/ Crown of Shadows
  • The Lost Metal (Mistborn, #7)
  • Akira, Vol. 1
  • We're Going On a Ghost Hunt
  • Smoke
  • A Killer Named Hatch Massacre on Potato Hill: A True Story
  • One Way
  • The Rithmatist (The Rithmatist, #1)
  • The Wild Dead (The Bannerless Saga #2)
  • Blackfish City
Robert Anson Heinlein was an American novelist and science fiction writer. Often called "the dean of science fiction writers", he is one of the most popular, influential, and controversial authors of "hard science fiction".

He set a high standard for science and engineering plausibility and helped to raise the genre's standards of literary quality. He was the first SF writer to break into
“You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.” 163 likes