Start by marking “Harbinger of Treason” as Want to Read:
Harbinger of Treason

Harbinger of Treason

Disgraced starship pilot Cassandra Hague must save her friend from a form of extortion – one that has left his brain implant fatally sabotaged. Time is short, and the only doctor who can cure him lives on a distant outpost deep in enemy space.

Cassie has no choice but to take the fastest starship she can get her hands on and head for the outpost, even though stealing an ad
Published January 1st 2014 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Harbinger of Treason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harbinger of Treason

Hyperion by Dan SimmonsDune by Frank HerbertEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardFoundation by Isaac AsimovThe Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons
Best Space Opera
654 books — 1,082 voters
Dune by Frank HerbertHyperion by Dan SimmonsFoundation by Isaac AsimovEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardRevelation Space by Alastair Reynolds
Space Opera
459 books — 413 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Harbinger of Treason
Brandi
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Brandi by: First Reads
Shelves: first-reads
I loved this book and I can't help but to hope that there is a book #2 coming out to follow it. The characters in this book had such depth that I could actually relate to them. Cassandra not only surprised me, but she is such a strong female lead in the book. As for Dakota, there were moments that I loved his character and then there were moments that I questioned his intentions.

When I finished this book, I had to share it with my husband and others I know. I think I talked about it for two day
Lily Knol
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! It's a rollicking good tale; a space-opera with real bite and an intelligent, plausible premise. The characters are well-drawn and the action is very readable. Bayard West has created a believable future world that I quickly became immersed in. I'm not a huge fan of "hard" science fiction as a rule, but this one was a lot of fun to read. There are some very clever ideas, but not self-consciously so. It's about the people and what happens to them, which is ...more
Brittney Washam
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from the author via the Goodreads giveaway - and it even had a nice little note from him telling me to enjoy it! - in exchange for an honest review.

I loved Harbinger of Treason. When I first read the plot and premise, I wasn't sure how entirely original the book would feel as I read it, but I was pleasantly wrong in my doubt. The main character, Cassie, is a disgraced pilot who left the military after a prodigy-esque time at the academy in order to look for her friend who wa
Vicki
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy through Goodreads Firstread's Giveaways in return for an honest review.

To start things off, I was drawn in from the second that I had read the synopsis on the giveaway page. I've always been a fan of good science fiction. So I thought that this would be up my alley and to my delight it was. This book exceeded my expectations and then some. Now on to the review.

From page one, we are introduced to our main character, Cassandra Hague, a disgraced starship pilot. She had been at th
Victoria
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
I won this good reads in exchange for review, it started out really good however as the plot began I had one thought why cant the head mods be removed. they are killing the female lead who starts out strong and capable only to become a whinny mess as the book drags on only to regain her earlier self when the plot comes for it the last two plot twists felt tagged on and unneeded. The biggest threat is a a.i with no body can't they just send a virus into him got bored halfway though the book becau ...more
Arnold Bosserman
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this novel down. I was drawn in by Cassie and how her story unfolds and the secrets that are revealed. I found myself really enjoying this book. This book is well written with very creative and cleaver concepts. I also liked the local Washington DC touch. The Harbinger of Treason has my highest recommendation.
Roger
Jun 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
good idea for a story but the writing was BAD! and all the miracle recoveries by the star just got stupid after a while. had to skip through the last 90 pgs to try and finish it. a pure waste of time!
Bayard West
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

From the author

Some of you that follow my reviews may wonder if I will submit my book to the same quantitative analysis that I do other authors' books. Of course!!! Here we go. There's also a review from BlueInk Review towards the bottom.

Sub-genre: Hard Sci-fi
Literary conflict: Man vs. Man
POV: 3rd person
Multiple-POV: ✔

THE GOOD:
Solid editing/polish: ✔
Fun characters: ✔
Witty repartee: ✔
Great "how-it-works" technology descriptions: ✔
Thought provoking: ✔
Great ending: ✔

THE BAD:
Rapid head-hopping:
Ashley E
Harbinger of Treason is a fantastic science fiction debut. Cassie Hague stumbles into friendship and intrigue in the form of ship-designer Dakota Simms, who built the Alliance latest and best prototype, the Harbinger. Circumstances force Cassie and Dakota into stealing the ship and starting off for a distant station under a deadly timeline.

Cassie is headstrong, arrogant, downright brilliant, and just a little bit broken in ways that she tries very hard to hide. As a main character, she so easy t
Barbara Townley
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a non-science fiction reader I was surprised when I got into this story and couldn't put it down. There is a nice escalation of tension and a huge surprise about a main character as the story culminates. I am hoping for a sequel and perhaps a prequel. For a first time novelist I think the author did an amazing job combining imaginative storytelling and technical knowledge to create a book that captures your interest and keeps holding it all the way through.
Megan McCauley
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book via good reads first reads

I'm new to reading science fiction, but I have to say I really enjoyed this book. The author did a good job with the characters they were easy to relate to. I was glad that Cassandra was a strong female lead as a posed to most leading ladies in other books. His vision of the future was believe able, and I couldn't help but picture it all in my head. I hope there is a sequel with Cassandra as the lead character again.
Marlin
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Harbinger of Treason By Bayard West,

I enjoyed read Harbinger of Treason from the time I picked it up till the time I finally had to lay it down. It will be added to my shelf of read again books.Non stop excitement from begining to end.
Thank you Mr. West for a very good book it has been a pleasure reading it.

Marlin Read
Paul Kaitson
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Truly a visual playground for me as a reader. West managed to take me on a journey that I did not expect. Every chapter was engaging and allowed me to escape into a reality that someday might be our present life.
Bravo ...an excellent read. Look forward to further stories with Cassandra leading the way.
Marla
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from Goodreads First Reads in exchange for an honest review. This was an awesome book! I can't wait for more! Very tech heavy but a completely engaging story. I'll be passing this book on to my brother who is a voracious tech heavy reader. I doubt he will give it back lol.
Diane Stokes
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Easy to Get Lost In
This is a fast-moving, action-filled book that I had trouble putting down. The characters were interesting and believable. The author has created an intriguing and thought-provoking glimpse of a future that seems not unlikely, given what I understand human nature to be. I hope he plans to write a sequel!
Mayah Templo
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had a good time reading this book, I think is highly entertaining, good action content and the sci-fi terminology is really appealing for lovers of the genre. I would have preferred that the author had added a glossary of terms.
Amber
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads-wins
I received this book for free as part of the goodreads first reads giveaway. This book was exciting and full of surprises. It has elements of sci-fi, action, and a dash of romance, with a heroine that would be hard not to like. I would recommend this book to fans of sci-fi.
Don Woodworth
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A courageous young woman living outside the law, pursued in the corridors among the stars -- a well-crafted story and richly imagined scenes.
Eric
xXQueenofHeartsXx
Mar 20, 2014
Khaled Besrour
Jun 28, 2014
Bayard West grew up in a town of 400 people in Western Pennsylvania, moved to Virginia at the age of 22, and left for California a decade later. Now he lives in San Diego, paragliding, practicing his archery, camping in the San Jacinto Mountains and and trying to figure out how much time he can spend putting puzzles together with his seven year old daughter.