Start by marking “Doctor Who and the Giant Robot” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who and the Giant Robot

Doctor Who and the Giant Robot (Doctor Who Library (Target) #28)

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  248 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
'Look, Brigadier! It's growing!' screamed Sarah. The Brigadier stared in amazement as the Robot began to grow... and grow... swelling to the size of a giant! Slowly the metal colossus, casting its enormous shadow upon the surrounding trees and buildings, began to stride towards the Brigadier. A giant metal hand reached down to grasp him... Can Doctor Who defeat the evil fo ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 5th 2007 by BBC Physical Audio (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who and the Giant Robot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who and the Giant Robot

Mark
"The thought of Miss Winters in handcuffs gave Sarah considerable pleasure." (p. 49)
Oh, Terrance.
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/1041222.html#cutid1[return][return]Oddly enough, Dicks is not especially good at making his own stories transition happily to the printed page. There are some good bits added/changed here, especially the characterisation of the new Doctor, but in general it is competent rather than exciting.[return][return]One point that struck me on reading this (rather than on watching the TV original) was the similarity between the Robot and the Hangman in Roger Zelazny's Hugo/Nebul ...more
Malia
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
I think this was once a radio drama. While I like Dr. Who books.
Julian White
Pdf - with the later 'Robot' head cover.

A bit of an oddity - a not very strong story and a new Doctor, plus a fresh 'action man' companion in Harry Sullivan, Naval doctor and James Bond wannabe... Shades of King Kong when the robot grows (but as it's only for a chapter and towards the end the title is a bit of a misnomer). Perhaps the best parts revolve around Miss Winters - but she's not too strong a villain(ess).
Christian Petrie
Well, here we go again. Now getting into familiar territory with my Doctor Who reading project, the 4th Doctor. The 4th Doctor was the first Doctor I saw, though it was not Robot.

For those who have not seen, or read Robot, the Doctor has regenerated and someone is stealing parts to build a disintegrator gun. No surprise of who what is stealing it, nor the people behind it. The question is what is their plan for it? Then near the end of the story, swap it out with King Kong and there go. Robot in
Adam Duclos
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a great audiobook featuring the Fourth Doctor's first story, and not only is the story pretty great, this was read by Tom Baker himself! It's like listening to all the best parts of the show, all the time. He does some great voices, but it's all in the accent, style and inflection, never in the pitch, which is great, because some of the other male Doctor Who audiobook readers will try to do female voices with a falsetto... not necessary, when you're as good as Tom Baker, I guess!

Out of
Min
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a grand introduction to Tom Baker. The line, toward the end of the episode, "There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes" encapsulates the enigma that is his interpretation of the character. Having Tom Baker read the book, with that resonate baritone, makes this tale even better.
Also, one of the funnier lines the Brigadier is given, "You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets." As this would be the second Doctor the Brigadie
Debra Manskey
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favourite Doctor Who stories - and made all the better by being read by Tom Baker!
April
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really good retelling of the fourth Doctor's first episode. Tom Baker is an enthusiastic reader and the story came to life. Great to have the extra insight into character feeling and thought which can easily be missed of misinterpreted in episodes when you're going on just a shared glance on-screen!

A giant robot is stealing classified items and with the Doctor still recovering from his latest regeneration it is at first up to Corporal Benton, Sarah Jane Smith, and the Brig to suss out what is
Travis
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
The fourth Doctor's very first appearance is a great old fashioned evil mad scientists and a misunderstood monster story.
It's basically the kind of story that the third Doctor was famous for, so we have UNIT and Sarah Jane there, while we get used to the new guy.
Good introduction to the Fourth Doctor and new companion, Harry Sulivan.

The mystery is nicely done, the characters are well written and the monster is cool. What more do you need in a Doctor Who story?
Leila Anani
Dr. Who (Tom Baker) encounters a giant metal robot and has to defeat the evil forces controlling it.

Features The Brigadier, Sarah Jane and UNIT.

Narrated by Baker this is a classic Dr. Who tale, but is very 'safe' and not particularly interesting and weird as some of the other Baker audios. Fans of classic who and old school sci-fi are going to love it - mad scientists, giant robots and Tom Baker what's not to like? However I like my Who a little more edgy and imaginative.
stormhawk
I've mentioned before that I'm fond of regeneration stories, and the one introducing my favorite Doctor gets that shiny glow to it, because overall it's a pretty run-of-the-mill story ... misguided attempts to improve humanity at great cost and all that, lots of intrigue and running around, and the Brigadier gets some shooting in as well.
Mayda
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it
This audio Doctor Who adventure story is a thrilling novelization, and Tom Baker’s well-performed rendition only adds to the excitement. Old and new fans of Doctor Who alike will enjoy this tale as the Doctor, though weakened by a recent regeneration, still strives to defeat the evil Robot that threatens the world. Good entertainment for sci-fi fans.
Mel
I have to say this was one of Terrance's better books. He seemed to have fun writing it. I loved the bit where he referred to Harry being a fan of Lurid spy novels. Sarah thinking fondly of a woman in handcuffs, not to mention her realising she'd have to kill the woman because the Brigidear would be incapable. I really enjoyed all these little extras.
Almustafa Couch
A good read, thematically it warned of overreliance on the scientist. And the inability of one section of society to make decisions that would satisfy all sectors of that society.
I think using Mills methods for decision-making would be much more fruitful.
Emily
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, fantasy-sf
This was great fun to listen to. It's read by Tom Baker, who does an excellent job not only being himself as the Doctor but telling the rest of the story.

The story is standard Doctor Who. Plenty of adventure and suspense and humor.
Anandh Sundar
Dec 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sci-fi authors have always fantasized about robots going mad and attacking man. This book proceeds on those lines with an unexpected twist in the end. Worth a read for the dilemas being explored
Jim
Apr 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book, dr-who
Suddenly
SUDDenly

SUDDENLY terrence dicks writes that word over and overandoverandover.
Wealhtheow
Apr 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I believe this is the debut of The Fourth Doctor. I love his interactions with UNIT (and the rest of us earthlings)--he utterly confounds them.
Becci
Peter
May 15, 2015
Joe Cooper
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
my first classic Doctor Who book. Interesting but it seemed to drag in places.
Andy Ball
  • Doctor Who and the Cave-Monsters
  • Doctor Who and the Ark in Space
  • Doctor Who and the Daemons
  • Doctor Who and the Ice Warriors
  • Doctor Who and the Tenth Planet (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Masque of Mandragora
  • Doctor Who: Mawdryn Undead (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who: Castrovalva (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Leisure Hive (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Crusaders
  • Doctor Who: Galaxy Four
  • Doctor Who: Enlightenment
  • Doctor Who: The Two Doctors
Terrance Dicks is an English writer, best known for his work in television and for writing a large number of popular children's books during the 1970s and 80s.

His break in television came when his friend Malcolm Hulke asked for his help with the writing of an episode of the popular ABC (ITV) action-adventure series The Avengers, on which Dicks received a co-writer's credit on the broadcast. He als
More about Terrance Dicks

Doctor Who Library (Target) (1 - 10 of 161 books)
  • Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen
  • Doctor Who and the Android Invasion
  • Doctor Who and the Androids of Tara (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Ark in Space
  • Doctor Who and the Armageddon Factor
  • Doctor Who and the Auton Invasion
  • Doctor Who and the Brain of Morbius
  • Doctor Who and the Carnival of Monsters
  • Doctor Who and the Cave-Monsters
  • Doctor Who and the Claws of Axos (Target Doctor Who Library)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • Long May She Reign
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Changelings (The Twins of Petaybee, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
“No point in being a grown-up if you can't be childish.” 6 likes