Start by marking “Her Best Laid Plans” as Want to Read:
Her Best Laid Plans

Her Best Laid Plans

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  1,187 Ratings  ·  206 Reviews
Experience Ireland—the dramatic beauty, the warm hospitality…and the smoking hot local guys!

Imagine nursing a pint in a cozy, authentic country pub, far from Cork's busy city pulse. Getting here took you a plane, bus, taxi and…um, bicycle. But just as you're resigning yourself to drinking beside grey-haired farmers, you see him—a man with the looks and charm to soothe any
Published April 15th 2014 by Cosmopolitan Red-Hot Reads from Harlequin (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Her Best Laid Plans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Best Laid Plans

Baba
Jan 18, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Review posted April 20, 2014

photo oie_trongVLC6K6w_zpsccb2881b.gif

photo oie_G6ZmAVcZwljm_zpsb1145b43.gif

A quick review for a quick read.

In a nutshell
Jamie Webb, a student from Boston, is house-sitting for her mother's best friend in Ireland for the next ten days. While nursing a Guinness in a pub she makes the acquaintance of Connor Kelleher, a hot Irish mechanic bartender with aspirations to become an engineer. The attraction is mutual and they start flirting. One thing leads to another and they're entangled in a vacation fling...

My thoughts
I'm actually no
Mo
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it

I did enjoy this one once I got over one or two “Irish” tings that annoyed me!!

Short and sweet, it portrayed Ireland well – although a lot of those country pubs in the back arse of nowhere have closed down in recent years due to the strict “drink/driving” laws that were brought in and also the “anti-smoking” laws.

“I love your voice,” she murmured.

“You want to hear me?” Even that question was doing the job, like liquor snaking through her.

“Yeah.”

“Sweet or dirty?” he asked.

“Whatever
Christy
Apr 16, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!

photo b9c4668a-382b-416d-bedf-13b3e9d1d2a4_zps7ea0d629.jpg

A short, sweet and sexy novella. Cara McKenna knows how to turn up the heat. This is a little less risque than some of her other reads, but just as steamy!

1o days. That’s how long Jamie is on her Ireland vacation for. She meets local bartender, Connor on day 1. 10 days is enough for a fantastic fling. It might even be long enough to start falling....

Jamie and Connor have strong chemistry. They put it all out there. Their feelings, wants, desires. Knowing they only have these precious
♥Rachel♥
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Her Best Laid Plans was a satisfying romance and one HOT novella, but I didn’t expect any less from Cara McKenna.

Jaime’s life plan derailed after her long-time boyfriend broke up with her. She was to support him through med school and then he was to return the favor when he finished and she went for her degree in architecture. Now that Jaime’s put her life on hold and delayed college, she’s two years behind with nothing to show for it. Loser ex!! With the summer off and no plans until she start
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
"Her Best Laid Plans" was a sweet, flirty novella about a whirlwind romance between an Irish bartender and an American on holiday after a breakup. Honestly, this wasn't what I was expecting from this author, who is usually much edgier with her stories. In fact, one might call this a wee bit pedestrian. However, once I got over the fact that this was going to be simply a charming contemporary romance, I enjoyed the story.

This book was pure romantic escapism. It was fun without being groundbreakin
Amy | Foxy Blogs
**3.5 Flirty and Fun stars**

Cosmo Red-Hot Reads are short fast-paced romances that feature fearless females. HER BEST LAID PLANS is set in Ireland with an American single college student taking a solo vacation to the Emerald Isle. A flirty encounter in a bar leads to two weeks of a passion filled romance for Jamie and Noel.

Standalone

**Complimentary copy courtesy of Cosmo Red Hot Reads from Harlequin via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.**
Blacky *Romance Addict*

This book is like a sweet, romantic new adult, just with more explicit sex scenes. Wish it was longer, though.
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
3.5--Sweet and Sexy--Stars!!

This was a fun read....and for being a novella I thought it was pretty good. Obviously there isn't a lot of story and character development but it was still entertaining. A great in-between book.

Bonus...it was

Jamie is in Ireland vacationing. She's just moved back to Boston after being dumped by her boyfriend. The boyfriend that she moved to California with so that he could follow his dreams.

Her first day there, Jamie ends up in a pub and meets Connor. Connor's dad own
Ash Wednesday
2 STARS

Half-hearted and boring. I imagine this was written while the author was writing another book, baking ten pies and doing her taxes. I have such faith in McKenna's knack for writing that I believe she can do all that and still come up with a coherent, albeit lazily imagined, snoozefest of a romance where nearly everybody's a bartender because, duh Ireland.

After sacrificing her college plans for her boyfriend's medical school education, Jamie got dumped. No, the exact details on that deal
Jess-i-ca ~Sometimes a Gif Witch~
3.5- SEXY FLING - STARS!

Anyways, Her Best Laid Plans reminded me a ton of Frenched. I mean they are in Ireland in this one and she's not on her honeymoon but still....Anyways that's not a bad thing just similar.

Jamie has wasted two years of her life moving to be with her boyfriend to California only to be dumped. She takes a trip to Ireland. On her first day there she goes to the bar. She meets a cute bartender named Connor.

drinking photo tumblr_ljir5trB6l1qbo0w4o1_500_zps4b6b1de3.gif

And they have some chemistry.

sex photo tumblr_inline_mp9ziuMARj1qz4rgp_zpsc0c677e9.gif

She decides what better way to enjoy Irel
aksana  -  4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42 -
4.5 Stars

After a painful break up with her ex-boyfriend Noel, Jamie planned to make a 10 days trip to Ireland with her best friend Kate. Unfortunately Kate ditched her last minute and Jamie ends up attending this trip alone.

In Ireland she stays at her moms best friends farmhouse that is surrounded by nearly nothing. Well, except of a pub.

She ends up at this pub her first night because sometimes a girl really needs a beer.

And she is also looking for a possible vacation fling.

That's when sexy b
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars I discovered Cara McKenna back in January, when I was holed away in my house for several weeks. I'm glad I was sick and didn't have any other commitments, because that allowed me to speed read the surprisingly emotional, dark Curio--and then I proceeded to devour pretty much everything this author had written in just a few weeks! That's how good she is. The stories are unusual, the connection is intense, and the sex pushes a lot of boundaries.

Her Best Laid Plans is a short, flirtatiou
Rose
Initial reaction: Now this is the kind of romance I like to read - cute, flirty, funny and hot. Cara McKenna's an author I will definitely pick up more in the future.

Full review:

Now this is the first time I've fully swooned over a romantic hero in a while, and I promise it's not just the fact that he's Irish (...that might be part of the reason). He's incredibly funny and easy to like, and I liked his chemistry with the heroine in this story as well. "Her Best Laid Plans" is the second story I'v
❃**✿【Yasmine】✿**❃
SOOOOOO GOOD
Sweet, hot, fun, interesting... with loveable characters.
One of my fave short stories this year.
Sara
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 Hot Irish stars

Jaime was coming out of a long term relationship with a guy who didn't put her first. She moved to support him while he went to med school, putting her education on hold. After 4 years, he just dumps her.
She heads back to Boston to regain her life. Go back to school. But before school starts she and her friend Kate have plans for a 10 day trip to Ireland. Only Kate had to back out for an internship so Jaime goes on her own.
Walking into an Irish pub her first night she meets
monica ♪
3 Hot Irishman Stars

Irishmen are indeed 'dangerous'.
And here's My Connor Kelleher メロメロ

description

This is so short. But it takes more than a week for me to finish it.
Real life being so shitty recently 泣き

I loved the characters. I could feel the chemistry between Connor and Jamie. The sex scenes were so hot too. This is a good, quick reading.
But too bad it's written in third person POV...
Overall I enjoyed reading this ニコちゃん
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Cara McKenna delivers a fun and flirty short story that takes place in Ireland. You know what that means right? We lucky readers get a hot Irish hero!

Conner Kelleher embodies all that women hope to encounter when they go on vacation. At the bar that his family own, this is where Jamie meets Conner. Since the story isn’t very long, you can expect instant chemistry between the two. McKenna plays it safe by keeping the banter light and flirtatious. However, I really thought that romance flitted ac
Andrea
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cara McKenna. I've been fairly shouty with praise for this author since I read Unbound last year.(How the hell that book hasn't won every award is beyond me) She creates strong, smart and sensitive heroines and the most interesting array of men. McKenna has made me fall ass-over-teakettle in love with an alcoholic, reclusive Scot with a wicked sexy rope fetish, an agoraphobic Parisian gigolo, a construction worker/boxer with a penchant for rough role-playing, an orderly in a psychiatric facility ...more
Ellie
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's my second book by Ms McKenna after Unbound which I greatly enjoyed, and I really, really liked this one as well. It's the perfect erotic romance novella.

I'm getting to like Ms McKenna's writing style a lot - her stories flow smoothly, the characters are well developed and real. This was the case with this book, as well. Two ordinary people dealing with normal issues come together and something extraordinary happens between them. They are very likable and easy to relate to.

The story is told
Karen111
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was both sweet and hot in equal measures, and I loved both Connor and Jamie. This author is one of my favourite go-to authors, and so I knew the storyline would be good, and the writing tight.

Set mainly in Ireland, you can tell that the author has spent some time in the South West of the country (or at the very least knows someone from the area). Most of the details were spot on.

The reason I docked it a star was because there were some inaccuracies about Irish life/dialogue. I'm not going
Amanda
Loved it! Everything I've come to expect from a Cara McKenna novel. Well done! And man do I love Irish Hotties. Makes me want to buy a plane ticket to see if I can get my own Irish fling. lol

Update: 2 years later and I still love this book, maybe more than the first time I read it. I want a Conner!
TORI
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.62 "Sweet and Sexy" Stars

This was very different from what I've come to expect from Cara McKenna. It was very cute and sweet. I liked it a lot though.

Basically you have Jamie...

...who has just been dumped by a worthless boyfriend she gave up all her dreams for. She flies to Ireland for vacay where she meets Connor...

...an uber sexy and seriously charming bartender. They hit it off immediately and it was too cute to watch. I usually don't like "sweet books." I favor more intense alpha males wi
Natalie
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-f
3.5 stars. I prefer this author's stories that have more bite, but this novella is very charming and romantic. Enjoyable.
*The Angry Reader*
I love McKenna. Wanted something a little dirty - but this was sweet. And it didn’t aggravate me
Ren
3 stars

I often hear about Cara McKenna, that she write some best erotica story. I want to read her Willing Victim, but I'm just too freaked out to read about the "almost-rape" theme. Nor that I have time to read her other works (sound cliche, eh?). So, when Harlequin Cosmo Red Hot Read have "Her Best Laid Plans" on Netgalley, I snatched a copy. Not just because I want to try Ms McKenna's work, but the blurb catched my interest. Set in Ireland with a hot-to-trot man with sexy accent? Sold!

When I
Jaime Arkin
Full review to come ... But OMG Connor!

Edited 3/31
I picked up Her Best Laid Plans on a whim the other day. I’m a hit or miss fan of Cara McKenna’s stuff, some of it I absolutely love (AFTER HOURS) while some of it just isn’t right for me. This novella… was perfect for me. It was exactly what I was looking for that day. The perfect story, the perfect length… the perfect boy… lol Okay so maybe not perfect, but he was definitely swoony and sexy.

Jamie Webb is in Ireland all by herself … recently dum
Autumn Review
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
I wanted to crawl inside this book. From start to finish, I loved this story! I was sad when I read the last page. I wanted to keep going with Jamie and Connor! I want my own Connor! I loved him. Hard. I, I, I---want more.

Jamie's on a trip to Ireland. She was supposed to be traveling with a friend, but ended up on her own. So, what's a girl to do on her own in Ireland? Why, meet a delicious Irishman! The friendship, passion and ease of their relationship really won me over. And, who doesn't lov
Louise
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
“You think you’re awfully charming, don’t you?”
“And you’re awfully worried I’ve charmed you.”
A cocky pronouncement, but the way he said it, so quietly, so pointedly... Charming indeed.

“I love your voice,” she murmured.
“You want to hear me?”
Even that question was doing the job, like liquor snaking through her.
“Yeah.”
“Sweet or dirty?” he asked.
“Whatever you’re thinking.”
He obeyed without hesitation. “I’m thinking I can’t remember ever wanting someone so badly.
Being this hard. Wanting so badly
J
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
A short book by Cara McKenna with deliciously drawn characters and a simple, sweet and just a tad steamy story about two people not believing that they could be falling in love after just knowing each other for less than two weeks.

Jamie has been dumped by her long-time live in boyfriend. She had put her own college plans on hold and followed him to California where she worked hard and he went to medical school. After he graduated the plan was for him to finance her education. Instead she got wel
Meagan
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance
This was one of those moments where I told myself I was only reading a chapter. After all, I'm already reading four other books. Four! I can't start a fifth. I was just sitting in a spot away from all of my other books, and this one was so conveniently located right in my Kindle app. I just needed to fill ten minutes, and then I would stop.

Yeah. Right. What a dumbass.

This is Cara McKenna. When have I ever just read a chapter of one of her books? I can only assume that my greedy subconscious, who
  • Thank You for Riding (Strangers on a Train)
  • Making It Last (Camelot, #4)
  • Laugh (Burnside, #2)
  • Crazy, Stupid Sex
  • Misbehaving
  • Can't Hold Back (Returning Home, #2)
  • Never Sweeter (Dark Obsession, #2)
  • The Bridge
  • Fanning the Flames (Jackson: Girls' Night Out, #0.5)
  • Indecent Proposal (Boys of Bishop, #4)
  • Everything You Need to Know
Since she began writing in 2008, Cara McKenna has published nearly forty romances and erotic novels with a variety of publishers, sometimes under the pen names Meg Maguire and C.M. McKenna. Her stories have been acclaimed for their smart, modern voice and defiance of convention. She was a 2015 RITA Award finalist, a 2014 RT Reviewers’ Choice Award winner, a 2012 and 2011 RT Reviewers’ Choice Award ...more
“He'd taught her how to love at a hundred miles an hour.
Now he'd teach her how to crash.”
1 likes
“My flatmate’s away for the weekend. If you fancied meeting against every wall in the place.” 0 likes