Start by marking “Compass” as Want to Read:

Compass

As teenagers, time is infinite and love is made of fairy tales and caramel corn. For Alexis York and Ryan Fisher, their friendship was the cornerstone of who they were. In the wake of a family tragedy, that friendship was torn apart by time and distance. Unrequited love was never reciprocated, and two lives that were once intertwined, now moved on different trajectories.

Fi
ebook
Published November 17th 2015 by Enchanted Publications

To ask other readers questions about Compass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compass

Melanie Moreland
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Compass is a story about childhood friendship, and a love that never leaves us.
Two best friends growing up, and feeling more than they think they should, part ways, and go about their lives, but never really forget about each other. A chance meeting involving a treasured gift and a remembered promise brings them back together. Still, either of them are loathe to rock the boat and admit they feel something more than friendship.
But when they do, oh my.
Ryan is confident, sexy, and pretty damned s
Nadene  (Totally Addicted to Reading)
Reading a book by a new author is a gamble as you have no idea whether or not you will enjoy the journey you will be taken on. This was the challenge I faced when I decided to read Compass by Jeanne McDonald. Now that I am at the point of writing my review, I have to say I am glad I took the gamble as I got the chance to read a story that will stay with me for some time to come.

Compass is a beautiful and heartwrenching story of first love and second chances. It's the kind of story that keeps yo
Mary Devereaux
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*Received an ARC for an honest review*

Jeanne McDonald does it again.
Just when you think you know her writing style, she changes it up with her book, Compass.

In this book, she moves from her traditional first person POV to a third person and alternates between Lexi and Ryan each chapter. It's great to be able to see into both of their heads through out the whole story!

There is no slow burn to this one, no playing around with the "should I or shouldn't I" like there was in The Truth in Lies Saga.
M.B.
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've made no secret that I'm a fan of Jeanne's work. She has this way of sucking you into the world she's created and the characters who live there. Compass is no different. I sat down to read and only put my kindle down when I had to do something like cook, or pick the kids up from school.

As I turned the pages, I needed to know what was going to happen next. There was no way I was stopping until I'd finished the entire book, and after about 5 hours, I did.

We first meet Lexi and Ryan on the day
Amber
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Going in, I had high expectations of this book. It is by Jeanne McDonald after all. She definitely delivered!! Even though I like my angst, it's a nice change once in a while to read a sweet fluffy book, and that's what you get with Compass. Sweetness.
Though you will get frustrated and want to bang Lex and Ryan's heads together to give them a clue!!
But this is definitely a five star, sweet read!
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

“Ryan smiled and turned her hand over in his placing the red toy in her palm. ‘It’s a compass. Keep it with you always. In those moments when you feel lost, alone, or confused, pulled it out and let yourself remember. Let this compass lead you back home. Let it lead you back to me. Forever and always, okay?’”

“Are you kidding me? For a man, age equals distinguished. A woman – well, you’re just decrepit.”

“Love’s not supposed to hurt. It’s supposed to free you, to lift you higher. T
Andrea
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Falling hurts. Love's not supposed to hurt. It's supposed to free you, to lift you higher. To make you fly."

The moment you open Compass you are pulled into a moment that you dread. It is a moment you'll have to relive, you know this. A moment that life changes. The moment a single action, a single decision, and a single blip of fate .... changes everything.

Moment. Compass is a beautiful story that is all about moments. Happy, sad, lost, yet to happen moments.

Alexis York and Ryan Fisher were be
Terri
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**Received ARC for Honest Review**

I truly, truly enjoyed this book. It was done in a different style than Jeanne’s other books---written in 3rd person, but you do know how each character is dealing with things or what they are thinking about. That, I really enjoyed.

What a great way to reconnect with an old childhood friend, soul mate. The main theme was brought back to you throughout the whole book, at the most appropriate times “forever and always” and “follow your heart, it’s your Compass” t
Jodie Scott
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reviewed on behalf of 2 girls who love books blog
Compass by Jeanne McDonald
Alexis is just about to make her big break in the world moving away from home for her job as a doctor but she is terrified of flying. When clearing out her childhood room she comes across a compass that her long term childhood friend Ryan had given her. She takes the compass with her to her new home. She gets on her flight thinking of Ryan and how they lost touch. As the announcement comes over the airplanes system for s
Paula Harned
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
***Given an ARC for honest review***

Words can't describe what I thought about this book. I loved it from start to finish and just couldn't put it down. This book had so much emotion from the start right down to the end.

As a reader, I related to this book so much. As being a wife of a pilot, this hit home. I really wanted things to work out between Alexis and Ryan. I could tell that they were meant to be. Throughout the book, I just had a smile on my face. I loved the way Ryan cared for Alexis an
Naughty Beauties Book Blog
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s
***Received this book for an honest review***

Alexis and Ryan are two characters you literally want to see together. Outspoken young lady and a shy, caring, young man are all combinations for something going right. Compass has just that!!

After life choices and the two meeting years later, perhaps it will allow them time to reconnect. Alexis lands right in his lap so to speak. The two deal with past feelings as well as knew. I loved watching them come together again and the feeling that the two ha
Shameca Smith
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 STAR READ!!

Let me tell you, I need to find a guy who treats me just like Ryan treats Alexis. I'm so jealous of the love they have for each other, and the hope that they would see each other again after all of those years.

"Forever and always."

I was instantly drawn into this story and loved that it was told in both POV's because you were able to feel all of the emotions that Ryan and Alexis has for each other, past and present, and you were able to see into their individual lives, and how muc
Clarice
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book kind of reminds me of my childhood so I easily identified with Alexis. Once I started reading Compass, I couldn't put it down! The evolving relationship between Alexis and Ryan is an interesting one and a very romantic concept to read about. It's unfortunately rare these days to stay in touch with people you grew up with. And even with so many resources available Ryan finds it pretty much impossible to track down Alexis when they lose touch. One of the good points about this book is ho ...more
Stacy Aube
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an ARC for a honest review.

This was a really good book about true love in the last place you expect to find it. Alexis and Ryan were childhood friends that were forced apart due to family drama. Only to have an unexpected reunion. You get to watch their love blossom through an unexpected event, which only makes their relationship stronger. I really enjoyed this story and would recommend it for anyone who like true love
Sydney Logan
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Simply lovely. Full review to come.
Amanda R
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC in exchange for a honest review.

When Alexis was young, 16, she had to say goodbye to her best friend, Ryan. Her mother was moving them to New York and Alexis was devastated. She had been friends with Ryan for as long as she'd been alive. They were neighbors and their parents were even friends. Recent developments were that she had a crush on Ryan. She was certain he didn't feel the same. Life was over now that she had to leave everything she'd ever known and the boy she loved.

F
Itsy Bitsy Book Bits
I not going to try and hide it – I absolutely loved this book! My favorite type of story is about finding lost love again and what happens both in the past and how they find each other again, this to me is the definition of romantic. Compass by Jeanne McDonald does this and then some.

Ryan and Alexis have been best friends their entire life – since they were 6 years old Ryan use to sneak to Alexis’s room (to the dismay of their parents) just so they wouldn’t spend any time apart. As they grew up
Sarah Reads "Reading in Sarah's Corner"
If you haven’t noticed by now, I absolutely love anything by Jeanne McDonald. Time and time again Jeanne delivers beautiful stories with just enough heartache and humor to keep her audience on the edge of their seats. Nothing so heavy you cannot breathe but enough to suck all your emotions into the story.

Jeanne’s stories always leave a permanent mark on my soul, Compass included.

Jeanne’s sexy nerdy pilot Ryan Fisher and her snarky Doctor Alexis York in Compass both will have a special place in
Sassy Southern
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
"...follow your heart. It's your compass. It will always lead you to where you belong."

Alexis York secretly fell for her best friend Ryan Fisher when she was in high school and the two had a very strong bond until a family crisis sent Alexis and her mom to New York. Unfortunately distance causes the two to drift apart until they are brought back together in a chance encounter, giving the two a chance to see how they truly feel about each other.

Yet life is never that easy and the two face more ch
Rebecca Austin
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it

Yet life is never that easy and the two face more ch
Bloggers From Down Under
**Arc received for honest review**

Alexis York moves away from her family home after she finds her dad cheating with her sister palliative care nurse, after her sister passes away her mum decides its time to move away from her father who she doesn’t like now for tearing her family apart he has moved on and now married to the nurse that was supposed to help her family no rip it apart, but she doesn’t want to leave her best friend, the boy she loves, her rock, her soul mate. But she knows she has t
Books Laid Bare
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ryan and Alexis have been friends since they were children but not everything you have as a kid is something you get to keep for life but there was a connection between the two of them even from that tender age.
But as the years passed and they grew up, the pull between then continued but as neither of them were willing to step up and express exactly how they felt, eventually the inevitable happened and they lost touch.
It takes years, and I mean years before they eventually find themselves back
J.R.
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Okay first of all, full disclosure and what not: I was able to read this bad boy before publication - and I am grateful to Jeanne for the opportunity - because, what a fun freaking story. A copy was immediately purchased as soon as it was available for pre-order.

While the summary pretty much says it all, I can also say that these two are so damn cute together. The banter, the longing, the way both of them reacted when they first saw each other again after so many years apart (not to mention they
Cupcakes and vodka Book Blog
Book: Compass
Author: Jeanne McDonald
Reviewer: Felicia H

Some sexual content and language
17 and up

High school love or young love shall we say. During her high school year the unthinkable happens. Alexa's sister passed away and her parent divorce, then her father remarries. So Alexa and her mother pack up and move to New York. Alexa is beyond sad. Her best friend Ryan will no longer be there for her yes long distance but does that really work. When she leaves he gives her a token form a cracker ja
Brandi Reeves-Pearson (Saints and Sinners Books)
I absolutely fell in love with this book just from the first few pages. Ryan and Alexis are childhood friends and from the very beginning, I got a look at how their relationship was like. I could even feel the love these two had for each other as kids, and I was sad neither one expressed their feelings. I understood the reason behind it, but I still wanted them to be together even at the tender age of sixteen. Years, and I mean years later, I was shocked they met up again. I was happy and excite ...more
Hayley Thinnesen ✩
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My review

Wow. Just wow. This is the first book I've read by this author and I have to say I'm very impressed.
Ok admittedly my 'go to' read material is young love/first love so this book was definitely made for me, and it had that in spades, but it also had so much more.

The author just pulls you in from the get go with the very dramatic and heart breaking prologue. My heart was constantly on edge from the beginning.

I couldn't believe I had got so lucky to be reading such a gem of a book
Kellie
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There is so much to say about this book, but what comes to mind is WOW!! I loved how in just the first few pages you are grabbed in and hooked till the end. I could not put this down.

Alexis and Ryan are childhood friends. You can feel that they both have feelings for each other, but the fear of losing a friend was too much to bare. So they never expressed this to each other. As time goes on, tragedy happens that tears Alexis’s family apart, as a result they lose touch, till a fateful meeting hap
Amy  Crull
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So this was my first book by the author and I must say I fell in love with her!! This book had everything I love, suspenseful moments, young friends to lovers, snarky and sassy friends who push them to get their head out of their butts and finally realize they are good together. I fell hook, line and sinker for this book. Ryan and Alexis have a love we all wish we could have. Things aren't perfect but thru fate having some fun with them, they battle thru and are victorious. Alexis, has a lot to ...more
Two Girls with books
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
TGWB Honest Review3

I'm not sure where to start, as this isn't a normal read for me. It's a love story, with no drama. It wasn't a bad story, the writing was good, and the characters I both liked and disliked at the same time. But I was bored, I wanted some drama—I live for the angst. Though I want Ms. McDonald to know it honestly had nothing to do with her writing, it's a personal preference.

I felt though as I sleepwalked through the book. Alexis grated my nerves, she acted like she was some petulant child that w
Heather Martin
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story, it made me cry and made my emotions feel real as if I was the one going through everything Lexi was going through towards the end of the story. It had a lot of great detail in it and showed fear of what could happen and how love over comes everything. I am so glad I was able to read this story and be able to actually enjoy the book. I had not read anything by this author before and now I really want to read more. I really do though hope that she will write some more about all ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Creature of Habit: Book Three
  • The Dirty Anthology
  • Halfway Hidden
  • Game
  • Isolated (Evan Arden, #4)
  • Cookie Cutter
  • '90s Playlist (Romance Rewind, #1)
  • Snowed In (Southern Comfort, #3)
  • The Best Laid Plans (Chicago Sisters, #2)
  • If Not for a Bee (Seasons of Alaska #3)
  • The Good Girl's Second Chance
  • Special Delivery (Mountain Meadow Homecomings, #1)
  • Just One Taste (Pine Mountain, #4.5)
  • Unexpected
  • Crazy about Cameron (The Winslow Brothers, #3; Blueberry Lane, #9)
  • Spring Fling: A New Adult Anthology
  • The Sheikh's Secret Babies (Bound by Gold #2)
  • Finding Focus (Finding Focus, #1)
Jeanne McDonald aka JM Dodd enjoys writing contemporary fiction filled with suspense, romance, drama, and humor. She prides herself in being a mother, a friend, a student of knowledge and of life, a coffee addict, a philosophy novice, a pop culture connoisseur, inspired by music, encouraged by words, and a believer in true love.

Jeanne is the founder of the author co-op, Enchanted Publications, an