Start by marking “Raising Boys: Why Boys Are Different and How to Help Them Become Happy and Well-Balanced Men” as Want to Read:

Explores the development of boys from birth to manhood and discusses the relationship between sports and values, creating caring attitudes towards sex, and the role of community and school in raising a boy.
Published September 1st 2004 by Celestial Arts (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Raising Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Boys

Start your review of Raising Boys: Why Boys Are Different and How to Help Them Become Happy and Well-Balanced Men
Jessica
Nov 02, 2007 rated it it was ok
there were a couple of things that i got from the book that i thought were interesting and worth putting into practice, but for the most part i found myself questioning or doubting most of what the author said. i probably wouldn't recommend it as a must-read parenting book.
Susan Wolff
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm a parent educator and have read dozens of books on boys with a view to which will most help parents. Biddulphs book Raising Boys wins hands down because its readable by parents who don't have a lot of education, but its not dumbed down, he takes the best brain science, education research, and family therapy experience, to help parents get a grasp of how to understand boys. He hits the sensible midway spot between the extremes like Sax (its all in the genes) and the old thinking that gender d ...more
Cara
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
It's somewhere between a 2 and 3 star book, I'm feeling generous today. It's an easy book, very simple conceptually, and I spent a lot of time frustratingly going 'girls are the same apart from lacking a penis'. However i think if it's your first child, and you're looking for a child raising book with a male slant, it's ok. I was more interested in a book which identified a child's male specific characteristics, and apart from the aforementioned penis, and a lot of either unsourced or poorly sou ...more
Beth Lequeuvre
Jan 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Quotes like:

"Many gay or bisexual men I have spoken with say the lack of fatherly affection was part of what made male affection more important to the."

"We aren't saying here that all instances of Attention Deficit Disorder are really dad deficit disorders - but quite a lot are."

"If a mother is terribly depressed and therefore unresponsive in the first year or two of her son's life, his brain may undergo changes and become a 'sad brain'. If she is angry, hitting or hurting him, he will be confus
Kim
Jan 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
One word for this book: worthless. The tiny tidbits of useful information were dumbed-down to a ridiculous degree. The author used sweeping generalizations without citing any research. Example? He states that most students who do well on achievement tests do not do well in college. Um, what? Research please. His advice to parents is so broad and so common-sense it is laughable. My favorite? The best way for fathers to teach their sons to treat women well is to not hit thier wives. Really? Shocki ...more
Hannah
Feb 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
"Read" probably isn't the right descriptor for this book, which I'm returning to the library mostly untouched. I checked it out only because our favorite librarian, when I checked out another parenting book, recommended this to me as a great way for mothers to learn about their boys and what makes them tick. I probably should have realized that any book subtitled "Why Boys Are Different" wouldn't be a good fit for a mom who dresses her son in his girl cousins' hand-me-down Mary Janes! (Which are ...more
Aissa
Jan 17, 2008 rated it did not like it
Very conservative views... I stopped reading it.
Lucia
Apr 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay. But definitely not my favorite by this author.
Devandra Bourne
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A gentle, funny and challenging book with loads of good ideas, especially for a mum who grew up without boys in her family. Biddulph tells quite gritty stories, doesn't prescribe or have insulting tip-lists like a lot of parenting books. I completely disagree with those reviewers who dismiss it as simple- its deceptively deep, but just accessibly written. Biddulph's work is very famous here in Australia because he aims to reach those who have less education and of course DADS (LOL) and so he use ...more
Carlie
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book. Provocative, thoughtful, full of sound research and hitting a lot of the key points parents of boys worry about, wrestle with and argue over.

Some of the things I took away from it:

*Its extremely important for adolescents (but perhaps especially boys) to have mentor types who are part friend, part adviser in their...besides their parents.

*Boys needs risks...make sure there are healthy, okay, daring things to do in their lives.

*Boys really need moms and dads but the
Kendra
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read for me, I have read a few books about boys and not every boy is the same... so I had to find the one that fit my son. This one was perfect, it gave great insight and really helped me see how I can be a better mother to Alex. This might not be for everyone (boys are different!), but it was perfect for me.
Melinda
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
So, I have a young son and, sometimes, he's kind of a mystery to me. With my daughter, I knew what I was getting into. Not only did I used to be a little girl, but I have several nieces who I've seen through childhood (I do also have a nephew, but he grew up far from us and we only saw him a couple of times a year). When I found this book, I thought it might shed some light on what was going on with my little guy.

And, yes, it did shed some light for me. Biddulph goes through biological, mental,
Sonja
Feb 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
I got lots of great insight on this book. One big arguing point in this book is chapter 7 - Developing a Healthy Sexuality. I do NOT agree that I should be teaching my little boy how to masterbate and that I should have open conversations about his sex life whenever it starts. Omit that chapter, and I could recommend it to anyone. If you want to borrow this book, be prepared - I have marked through that chapter!!
Ron J Roy
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
If you have a critical mind this book is not for you (I'm insinuating no one should read this book). As a father of two young boys I had a visceral reaction when reading it cover-to-cover and wondered by the end if the author had ever met a boy.
Oona
Aug 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn’t finish, wading through the outdated gender stereotypes and tropes for an occasional nugget of information was too exhausting.
Natalie
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read, most of it made a lot of sense, and I often found myself going "ohhhhh" when faced with something that I hadn't realised before, that suddenly clicked into place!
Garth Calder
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grow
I really enjoyed this book. Lots of practical tips that I wish more parents knew. It was also helpful in my line of work as a youth worker to thing through what helps to make better men specifically. Even if you don't agree with all the authors thought I think it's raises some good questions to be thinking about. A solid 4 stars.
Lisa
Apr 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
I found this book basic and in some cases offensive. I wouldn't recommend reading it. I spoke to a few people who'd recommended it to me only to find they'd skimmed it or hadn't finished it. I've found the good reads reviews much more informative.
Jonathan Thomas
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Whilst I don’t agree with all of the authors ethical positions, I really appreciate his understanding of boys. Lots of insights into the mind of boys and how we can best raise them.
Christine Meunier
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
An interesting look at the differences in boys growing up and the importance of correct education, taking part in sports and letting boys be boys.
Susan Austin
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Easy to read, had some interesting points although lots of questionable statements too. Glad I read it.
Heath Henwood
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Raising Boys
Why Boys are Different and How to Help them become happy and well balanced men
Steve Biddulph
Published by:Ten Speed Press

I have always been a fan of Steve Biddulph’s very practical books for parents. This one is no different. This vastly popular book has been updated into a third edition.

Raising Boys considers how boys differ from girls, their three stages of boyhood, from birth to preparing for adulthood. It goes on to discuss how to navigate through risk areas for boys.
It examines
Joe
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
While the book was interesting in several places, I don't think it has left me with a single piece of actionable advice.

Top 10 recommendations from this book:

Barakiel
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
Quick and easy read.

Three things I take away from this book:
1. The 0 to 6yrs, 6-14yrs, 14-adult rule. The first phase is mom's time (helps with emotional stability), the second phase is dad's time (helps with masculinity) and the last phase you'll rely mostly on good role-models. Very interesting concept I hadn't heard put into words like this before.
2. Initiation: helping your boy transition from boyhood to adolescence through some sort of ceremony. This was an interesting idea that deserves fu
Brooke romney
Sep 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was fascinating, and the "self-help" books don't usually keep my interest. It was an easy read with lots of examples, and since I have 3 boys it just blew my mind, the science behind the way they act and their differences from girls. It gave lots of practical advice to help them succeed in school and life and talked to both mothers and fathers and the importance of both in a boys life. I loved the book and think it's a must read for anyone with boys...though there were a few ...more
Tiffany Wacaser
Jun 23, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a pretty fast read on the unique strengths and weaknesses of boys and what they need to grow into great men. I knew a lot of it already, but it was good to have the reminder. I disagreed with the author's take on teaching sexuality. But that's a fairly small complaint compared with the rest of the book. And with all books, you usually have to sift through something.
It was easy to read and understand and the humor was very much appreciated. I was completely reminded though, of how inspi
Sophie Meredith
May 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
It’s not a waste of time in lieu of much else out there but I had to take most things with a handful of salt as assertions were evidentially weak throughout. It kind of goes, all boys want their Mum until 5or 6 then their Dad is the hero and they need that. Hmm, a narrow view and read but keep that salt at your side and you’ll find some food for thought to season ;)
Sunny
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought this brilliant and very helpful considering i have 2 kids aged 4 and 3 - both amazing but such headaches at times. This book offers some very interesting and practical advise on how to deal with boys specifically. The overall message is that they need discipline and to know where they stand but need fathers to spend time with their kids which is going against the grain of the busy schedule / lifestyle most fathers working in the professional sector tend to live. My kids must be sick of ...more
Simon Bendle
Did you know that mother rats frequently lick the genitals of their male babies, and this helps their brains become fully male? Just one of the many titbits I picked up from this interesting and helpful little book. It’s not a work of genius. Much of what Steve Biddulph has to say is plain common sense. But if, like me, you’re looking for ways to be a better parent to a clutch of high-octane, high-powered pre-school boys you might find it a useful and easy-to-read starting point. Oh, and Biddulp ...more
Christen Kolberg
Dec 17, 2010 rated it liked it
I think the title promised more than delivered. The things I took away from it are:
- Boys testosterone levels peaking at certain times in their lives and what to expect
- The roles that mother and father can play to help boys develop into balances men (seems like common sense to me)
- Boys should start school later, rather than earlier and why (good to know since Will is an August birthday)
- The importance of a strong male role model is key - especially starting around age five

Overall, it was wort
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Understanding Waldorf Education: Teaching from the Inside Out
  • The Barefoot Investor for Families: The only kids' money guide you'll ever need
  • How Children Learn
  • The Unmumsy Mum
  • The Mind of the Leader: How to Lead Yourself, Your People, and Your Organization for Extraordinary Results
  • The Gaia Project: The Earth's Great Changes
  • The Death of Money: The Coming Collapse of the International Monetary System
  • Hitching for Hope: A Journey Into the Heart and Soul of Ireland
  • What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety
  • Understanding Girls with Ad/HD
  • The New Rules of Marriage: What You Need to Know to Make Love Work
  • Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys
  • Siblings Without Rivalry: How to Help Your Children Live Together So You Can Live Too
  • How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk
  • Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing
  • The Office: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sitcom of the 2000s: An Oral History
  • Street Girls: Hope on the Streets of Brazil

News & Interviews

“Have you ever browsed through a family photo collection and seen photos of a boy taken over the course of many years, from babyhood through to young manhood? If you have, you’ll know that boys don’t grow up in a smooth way. They go in surges—looking the same for a year or two, then suddenly seeming to change overnight. And that’s only on the outside. On the inside, great changes are happening, too. But developing maturity and character aren’t as automatic as physical growing. A boy can get stuck. Everyone knows at least one man who is large in body but small in mind or soul. He just hasn’t developed as a mature person. Such men are everywhere—they might be rich, powerful, a president, or a tycoon, but you look at them and think, Yep, still a boy. And not a very nice one.” 0 likes
“V dnešní době jsou sebejistější, motivovanější a pracovitější děvčata.” 0 likes