Start by marking “What Is Hidden (What Is Hidden, #1)” as Want to Read:
What Is Hidden (What Is Hidden, #1)

What Is Hidden

(What Is Hidden #1)

“The Chameleon is on the loose.” Despite the whispers that sprung up, the Speaker continued, “He’s stealing our masks and assuming the identities of the victims. It is our duty to warn you—do not trust the masks alone.”

In Venesia, your mask is your life. It is your face, your rank, and your identity. Without a mask, you are nothing.

Which makes the Chameleon the most dange
Published May 13th 2014 by Cedar Fort Publishing & Media

To ask other readers questions about What Is Hidden, please sign up.
Stephen Nope! (Or, most likely not) It happens when publishers use Stock photos. Basically, instead of taking their own photos or doing their own artwork,…moreNope! (Or, most likely not) It happens when publishers use Stock photos. Basically, instead of taking their own photos or doing their own artwork, publishers can go to websites with galleries of stock photos and then pay for the right to use it. After they've paid for the right to use it, they can edit it however they like. Sometimes multiple publishers will use the same photo by chance, so this kind of things happens quite a lot. Do a search online for "books with the same covers" and you can find websites displaying loads of books with identical images on their covers that are just photoshopped differently.(less)

Lauren
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm not going to rate my own book because that feels like cheating but I will say I recommend it. :)

ETA: Ok yes I changed my mind and added a rating. I think I felt weird originally because I was the only one reading/rating and that's not the case anymore.

I really do love this book and the characters and the fantastic world, and I hope readers will, too.

(Also yes you will see more of these characters.)
Rane
Oct 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult

3.5 Stars
A world where everyone hides behind a true mask and a city based on our own Venice. I found myself truly falling in love with the world Lauren Skidmore created within the pages of "What is Hidden".
The world has the potential to be very vast and we only scratch the surface in this book as we follow Evie a young artisan who creates masks for others along with her father. Life is great spending time with her best friend Adien, and creating masks. Until one day everything changes when a
Rebekah
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, clean
Full review to come...
Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Buy this book on AMAZON
or buy this book on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

I received a free paperback edition of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

I just finished reading this title. Full review to come. Such a great read! It wasn't a super wow factor, but I was thoroughly impressed!

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
Sophia Sardothien
This is a fantastic read :))) I would have given it a five stars if the plot was less predictable and if there was an epilogue. I would totally recommend this book if you're looking for fairytale especially Cinderella retellings
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
This was a charming story, I really enjoyed it. I liked the setting and world-building. I thought the concept of everyone wearing masks was interesting. Evie is a mask maker with quite a bit of talent. As you’ve probably read from the summary, Evie’s home is destroyed by the bandit known as the Chameleon and she is forced into hiding. With the help of her best friend Aiden she is able to start rebuilding her life. (view spoiler) ...more
Melanie
First of all, I absolutely LOVE the cover!! I don't actively seek out fairy tale retellings but I enjoy reading them when they come along and I loved this one!

Evie has it rough at the beginning of the book and she's not sure where to go or who to trust. She decides to go to the palace to hide until she can figure things out. She sneaks in and starts working in the kitchen. It wasn't easy and she definitely had her Cinderella moments.

She has a friend, Aiden, who used to just appear and hang out
Katie W
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love the cover! I'm not usually a fan of faces on covers, however, this one perfectly fits the story and it's just beautiful!

It takes me a few chapters to be drawn into a story in most books. This one was an exception! I was immediately drawn into the story and it was hard to put down. I love fairytale re-tellings and this one was a fantastic, creative twist on an old classic, Cinderella. There's even a mysterious villain!

I've always wondered why Cinderella was so sweet and let everyone boss
Rhonda
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it

4 STARS

I love the cover. There is a lot of people and things hidden in this story. A story that has characters I like, a society that has silly traditions in my opinion. Has villains and heroes. Some surprises that I figured out way early and others that I did not see coming. A enjoyable clean tale.

Masks everyone wears and what color they are mark what profession or social positions they have. People in the arts wear green, royals white. They even wear masks at home, family members do not see
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
I liked this book. But the question is wether i'll read the next one or not.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Omg that cover..that blurb. You will become mine my pretty book.
Cassie C
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review to come!

Update 5/25/14:

Stop what you are doing, and read this book now! I could use every possible positive adjective to describe this book...it is simply amazing. Although the description is short, and not very informative, it actually tells you all you need to know. The reason, it allows you to discover this extraordinary world full of masks, treachery, love, and deceit. And it is fantastic!

When I first saw the cover for this book, I stopped dead in my tracks, and my reaction was somet
anjuli
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it
***Spoiler Free***
***3.5***

Overall, this was a cute and enjoyable read. The book is a pretty clean read except for a VERY brief kiss scene for those that care. It is a loosely based Cinderella retelling. The pace is good and it was a fast read.

The book is all about Evie (18), who is a mask maker in the city of Venesia. She's living with her father who is a pretty good mask maker himself. With a twist of fate her life is thrown upside down and she's on a run. Evie ends up at the palace as a serv
Kel
Check out more reviews, discussions, lists and fan art at Booked til Tuesday.

Earlier this year, I came across a review of What is Hidden- a Cinderella retelling where everyone wears a mask. I'm a sucker for fairy tale retellings, and the cover, while a little too pink, is so pretty, so I tracked down a copy. The atmosphere is rich, but the plot and characters failed to make a strong impression.

Mini-Review:

Evie lives in a city where everyone wears a mask. The make and material of your mask reveal
Sojourner
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
What Is Hidden: A Cinderella Tale of Deception and Mystery by Lauren Skidmore is a young adult romantic fantasy full of action and suspense. Magical and dream-like, it is also a retelling of the Cinderella story in such a unique and splendid fashion that the riff on the fairy tale looks an original score. Young readers will swoon as the leading protagonists take centre-stage and make their hearts beat faster as the story races to its breathtaking ending.

Though I’m not familiar with author Lauren
Sheila
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love the feeling of becoming lost in a new world. What is Hidden will pull you in from the first chapter. This wonderful world of Venesia, is similar to Venice, Italy. The author sketches with beautiful descriptions the city, the palace full of nobles and royalty, glamorous dresses worn at the balls, and the very fashionable masks. The masks are symbols of class and status in this land. Tragedy befalls main character Evie at the beginning taking away her father and their livelihood of mask mak ...more
Amber Stokes
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amber-s-kindle
With a cover that promised beauty and mystery (with a Mardi-Gras flair that caught my eye!), and a tantalizing blurb that did the same, I couldn't resist this book. Not to mention the Cinderella reference - gotta love a good fairy-tale retelling!

And indeed, I really did love this read. While I would have enjoyed a little glimpse at the history of this fantasy country where the entire population wears masks whenever others might see them, I was still completely swept away by the gorgeous descript
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Isn't the cover of this book gorgeous? I love it. It is such a good visual representation of the story inside.

Do you think you could wear a mask all day every day for your whole life? What if that mask basically defined you? Your rank in society, your occupation? That is how life is for Evie and everyone who lives in Venesia. Evie's mask defines her as an artisan and, like her father, a maker of masks.

In one horrific night, Evie's world is changed when a thief steals into their shop, sets fire t
Kris Irvin
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lauren worked her butt off on this book, and it shows. The story is impeccable. It's so refreshing and unique - like a fairy tale, but not a re-working of one. (At least, not the way I saw it.) The characters are AWESOME. Holy crap, I love Evie. I love her snark and her awesomeness and her everything.

And let's talk about my most favorite love - the world. Venesia sounds AMAZING and I want to live there. Well, kind of. I can't decide if I would have an awesome mask or a totally lame one. Probably
Briana
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I finished it. Rather quickly.

Ok, so I loved the atmosphere of the novel. And the fact that their masks were their identity. Different colors represented different ranks and occupations. I know on the book it says that this sort of a Cinderella story. I loved the interaction between the two main characters. Snarky, sassy sarcasm. My style. Even with the bad guy, the Chameleon and all his stuff, I didn't get annoyed. Skidmore didn't let that overpower any of the story. Others might say that she
Ellie
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
The writing wasn't great. But the story was enticing. I feel like this could've been just a single book with two extra pages to finish things up. And the hook wasn't interesting enough to make me want to read more.
Lydia
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. While the cover says that it's a Cinderella re-telling, I thought the author did a great job of making the story her own, with just a slight nod to the original story. I'm anxious to get the next book from the library.
Cynthia
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good, original.
Wassila
Jun 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Well I have very mixed feelings about this book. I liked it but I guess I built so much excitement over the ending that it went all flat.

Spoiler-ish ahead, read at your own risks

It was a good book, I enjoyed the use of masks which was for me an interesting metaphor about society and how no one tries to see beneath the mask and how everyone actually hide behind them. Plus, the story taking place in a city similar to Venice it made the use of mask more concrete.

Evie is a realistic character that
Lisa Swinton
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is my first read by Lauren Skidmore and I believe her debut novel, so Congratulations to Ms. Skidmore!

This reads as a clean romance with an element of suspense, genre wise, so keep that in mind.

It is easy to engage with the characters. Evie is strong, talented, smart, resilient, and independent. All the things I like in a heroine. The hero's a good catch too! But, I won't spoil Aiden for you. The romance stems from a solid friendship and it's easy to see when the lines get blurry.

I was th
Jul
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
YA isn't usually my thing, but my friend, Lauren, wrote this so of course I had to read it. It was a cute, Cinderella-esque story. I really liked the idea of a masked society and thought it was quite well written.
Mckelle
Jul 18, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was enjoyable, but nothing special. I felt like the Evie and Aidan were unremarkable characters and their relationship was one I've seen in hundreds of other books. The story was also quite predictable. I was fascinated with the idea of a masked society.
MaryLynn
Jul 03, 2014 rated it liked it
An interesting little romp, with nothing to think about. The resolution is easily guessed half way through. The characters are likeable but seem much too casual for the supposedly very formal society in which they live. But I would definitely recommend it for a lazy summer day on vacation.
Michiko
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-lit, fantasy
This needs to be a movie asap. All those beautiful masks, costumes, the canals and castles. I demand this be a movie.

It's so great to see what this story has become, having read it when it was in its earliest most draft form.

I look forward to so much more from this promising new author!
Julie
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
A beautifully told story that had me racing to finish it~! So proud of you, Lauren!
  • Star of Deliverance
  • Becoming Beauty
  • Ella
  • Aurora Abroad
  • Out of the Ashes
  • Rumplestiltskin (Faerie Tale Collection, #3)
  • Wicked Games (Wicked Bay, #4)
  • Fairy Godmothers, Inc.
  • The Crystal Heart
  • I'm Not Cinderella
  • The Rose in the Briar
  • Bound (Bound Hearts Book 1)
  • Uneasy Fortunes
  • Tortured (Tortured Soul, #1)
  • Dangerous Moves
  • Bridge of Hope (Bridge Over the Atlantic, #2)
  • Bad Company (Company of Sinners MC #1)
  • Midnight Masquerade
Lauren Skidmore grew up in Kansas, with stints in Ohio and New York, and currently lives in Utah. She attended Brigham Young University where she earned a BA in English Teaching with an emphasis in Teaching English as a Second Language and Japanese. She then spent a year in Japan teaching and travelling. She hasn’t made it to Europe yet, but it’s on the list and has been to 30 states in the U.S. s ...more

What Is Hidden (3 books)
  • What Is Lost (What Is Hidden, #2)
  • The Fairest Poison