Start by marking “Killer Instinct (The Naturals, #2)” as Want to Read:
Killer Instinct (The Naturals, #2)

Killer Instinct

(The Naturals #2)

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  11,403 ratings  ·  1,222 reviews
Seventeen-year-old Cassie Hobbes has a gift for profiling people. Her talent has landed her a spot in an elite FBI program for teens with innate crime-solving abilities, and into some harrowing situations. After barely escaping a confrontation with an unbalanced killer obsessed with her mother’s murder, Cassie hopes she and the rest of the team can stick to solving cold ca ...more
Published November 4th 2014 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Killer Instinct, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tirzah Eleora I can't quite decide if Michael meant that he knew it was going to be Dean regardless of who met her in the forest, or if he meant that Cassie would…moreI can't quite decide if Michael meant that he knew it was going to be Dean regardless of who met her in the forest, or if he meant that Cassie would have had a surge of emotion/love for whichever of them met her due to her relief at being alive to love one of them at all, but I'm leaning towards the former. Now that she and Dean have kissed, I think it's unlikely that the author will have her get together with Michael in the second book due to the effect that would have on already troubled Dean.

Personally, I'm surprised and a little disappointed--don't get me wrong, I love Dean and I thing he is a great character, but I was still rooting for Michael. I feel like Cassie's attraction to Dean is mostly a desire to protect him and understand him, whereas she just feels attracted to Michael. She never seemed jealous that Dean was closer to Lia (I know, I know, Lia is the sister figure, but while Cassie wouldn't have seen Lia as a romantic rival I would have thought she would want to be Dean's confidant if she had a crush on him) but she does get really jealous whenever Lia hints about a romance between her and Michael. And frankly, I'll be really annoyed if Michael and Lia get together. (less)
Yancey Rachel The third book just came out a couple of weeks ago.

Lia  (a paper pigeon)
Close your eyes.
Imagine.
A Castle/Criminal Minds crossover episode, but with teenagers.
Snarky, clever, absurdly likeable teenagers.
Unbelievable, you think? Impossibile, you say?
Let's agree to disagree and
Welcome to the Naturals Program.
Your life will never be the same.

Can you believe this little bitch kept me on the edge of my seat from the very beginning? And can you believe that it may or may have not have given me a tiny aneurysm halfway down the road?
THAT'S RUDE.
But it's okay, I love
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Review also posted at Young Adult Hollywood.

Killer Instinct picks up right where the first book left off with the whole team recovering from their near death experience when a new serial killer started brutally slaughtering people. And there’s a twist… this new killer on the loose is a copycat of Dean’s psychopath father.

Here is the funny thing about Killer Instinct..,I truly just started it and then suddenly it was two o’clock in the morning and I had finisghed the book. That is the biggest bla
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This series is so good!
Marga
Holy shizz. I know you guys always see me being all fangirly about books. I might actually be considered as a person easily impressed but SERIOUSLY.. this book though. My heart was beating so fast while reading the whole story.

The heroine. Cassie Hobbes wasn't a perfect main character by any means but I admire her. When she cared about other people, she'll let them know and feel it. She received a number of eye rolls from me though at some scenes because it was like she can't just choose one guy
Maddie
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
I can't believe how good this was. AGAIN! Even more mystery, even more layers and even more bonding between the five Naturals. This series is shaping up to be one of the best I've read, and a must-read if you like anything from 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Criminal Minds', 'Sherlock' or 'The Gallagher Girls' books!
Tez
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Naturals, Book 1, was awkward. The concept for the series was solid, though improbable, but the execution of it was hard to get into at first. It was like an origin story of how everyone meets, even though there was a mystery to solve.

Killer Instinct does what every good sequel should: match the quality of the first, or improve upon it. This Book 2 is definitely an improvement, because the core concept and group of characters have been established, so there's more book-time for a case to be
Mimi Valentine
Jan 10, 2014 marked it as to-read
YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!!! ♥

Ohmysweetgoodness! Ever since I finished The Naturals (like last week LOL but hey, it was so good that it feels like its been on my brain forever!), I've been dying to know if there was going to be a sequel -- so can you imagine how excited I am for this sequel?????? CRAZY HECK YEAH! x)
charlotte
Rep: Chinese-American mc

it is also a bad idea to read serial killer books in the daytime when will i learn
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
THESE BOOKS THO. They're seriously amazing! I found myself reading quickly because I was so engrossed rather than because I was trying to up my reading speed. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as the last one, because it was more about Dean than Cassie...and there's never enough Sloane - she's seriously the one pointing out the key parts of the mystery - they need to take her everywhere.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Like I have come to expect from all Disney-Hyperion books and even Jennifer herself, I was not disappointed in Killer Instinct.

Like it's predecessor, this was a fun thrilling and fast paced ride that I loved every minute of.

I loved Cassie, Dean. Sloane, Michael, and Lia in The Naturals and is was without question that when the second book came out, I was going to get it and I was going to love it.

This was even better than the first and I did indeed love every minute of it.

If possible, the whole
Lexie
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2016
You know that feeling that comes with not being able to decide if a series is more addictive or more substantive?

Sort of entranced. Sort of hooked. Sort of sure that it'll doom you to wait for the next installment once you've blown through the ones already out?

Yeah. The Naturals is it for me.

Publish yourself faster, you addictive morsel of muuuurder and awesome.
Sara (Freadom Library)
I LOVE THIS SERIES!!!

This review was originally posted at https://freadomlibrary.wordpress.com/

Critically
Plot – 5 out of 5 stars
I am absolutely obsessed with these books. The plot is fast paced and entertaining. It’s intense, powerful and sometimes really freaking creepy! It deals with violence, death and grief. This one is a lot more personal than the first. We get to learn more about one of the other members of the program and it really tore my heart up! And this book in particular also has mo
Nadia Awadi
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've always been interested in psychopaths It sounds creepier than I thought.

Creepiness aside, most of the documentaries I watched were centred around those two topics. Add to that a group of angsty teenagers with abnormal skills. And we have a recipe for a great book, in my opinion at least.

Bodies are piling up one after the other. And it's up to The Naturals to find whoever is responsible. Every case is special and this time is no exception. With the serial Killer being Daniel Redding's copy
Veronica Morfi
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series so much. Cannot believe it took me so long to pick this one up, especially since I loved the first book. The characters are so smart and witty and unique. And I always love the mysteries and how the clues lead you to the killers exactly when the characters figure them out too. I am planning on getting my hands on the third one on Monday. And then will have to wait until November(?) for the fourth one, hopefully I wont make the mistake of waiting a few years again...cause I love ...more
Julia Sapphire
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it

This was so good. I forgot how much I enjoyed these stories and these characters. Such unique characters with so much depth. The story was odd and twisted. I quite enjoyed this!!
lina
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 8-out-of-10
вторая книга вышла лучше на мой взгляд. больше расследований, больше убийц, которых я угадала хоть и не сразу, но зато правильно. на какое-то время здесь даже уделили внимание учебе, про которую совсем забыли в первой книги. и кэсси наконец-то разобралась (я надеюсь) со своими чувствами только к концу книги.
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An ARC of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts are my own.

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Do any of you watch The Following ? That Kevin Bacon show on Fox that follows his character as he tries to determine a serial killer's next move in an attempt to save the next victim? This book reminded me a lot of that show -- especially the utilization of a criminal mastermind already serving time for over a dozen murders -- and tha
Jess
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
°☆.。.:*・Actual Rating: 4.5 stars °☆.。.:*・

Basically, if you’re a Criminal Minds fan, such as moi, then you’re going to find this delectable.

Instead of Morgan, Hotch, JJ and Spencer, we have a younger crew who are bound by the rules and regulations set by the adults governing the playground. They’ve each got brilliant minds, natural intellect. But in this instalment, they’re restricted. You see, what happens when genius is restrained? It is limited and it is measly compared to its potentia
mith
All this back and forth with the love triangle was exhausting, despite the romance being the least important factor here.
I will contradict that statement, though, because I'm sure it's still going to play a part in the next two books.
That being said, I think I gave away who Cassie picks. (Haha, sorry). So I am sad.
Kirsty-Marie Jones
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It probably sounds bad, but I freaking love how disturbing that was.

What I loved about The Naturals is the insight of Criminology and all the different aspects of it, including the psychology, sociology, social science, to psychoanalyze and get into a serial killers head that gives an UNSUB a profile. How you can tell by certain aspects of the kill can tell you what type of a killer an UNSUB is. You see how different aspects are used, an Emotion Reader, a Human Lie Detector, a Crime Scene Analys
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it

REVIEW TO COME! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhh
Rebecca
I've been dealing with the worst slump but I literally just read this start to finish in one sitting. It is now almost 3am and I'm so tired I could cry. #WorthIt
Arij Meddeb
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
aahh Haa !!! I knew it...I knew it ;))
 ⇝LEAH⇜
Book Title: Killer Instinct
Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Series: The Naturals #2
Genre: YA, Mystery, Splash of Romance
Source: Kindle E-Book (Library)

OVERALL RATING: 5/5 STARS

Find my full review with video included for book song at Leah's Bookish Obsession

♪♫My Pick For Book Theme Song♫♪
Monster You Made by Pop Evil --For Dean…the backstory between Dean and his father that we learn about in this installment is completely captivating.
♫Erase this monster I've become
Forgive me for all the damage done
It'
Fatima
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I LOVE THIS SERIES!! This second book wasn't as good as the first, in my opinion, but it was still just as gripping and amazing. I feel like this book lacked some of the excitement and intrigue that I felt in the first novel - I wasn't as surprised or shocked with the turn of events as they progressed, and I feel like the UNSUB was obvious from much earlier on.

The characters in this novel were just as entertaining and interesting as they were in the first novel. I love that, despite everything
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Disney Book Group and NetGalley.)
The Naturals are back, and this time they’re interfering with an active murder case, where the killer seems to be copying the technique of Dean’s serial-killer father.
Who is the murderer? Why is he killing? And what connections does he have to Dean’s father?

This was a good murder/mystery story, with quite a few twists!

I liked the characters in this, and I liked how devot
Trisha
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
"When the odds are bad, you change the rules"

WOW, and I mean wow!! This book was just as good as the first one. The end was just as twisty and crazy.

But we get to know Dean, Cassie, Sloane, Michael and even Lia a lot better. We learn some of their secrets and then somethings we didn't even KNOW were secrets. We also learn more about the program, about Judd and Briggs. Surprisingly, even more about the Director.

It really is a fast paced story, driven to make you flip pages, bite your nails and R
Tina
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-thriller
** 4.5 stars **

This was SO GOOD. So easy to read, so interesting and almost educational?? Character interaction is great and the crime and mystery aspect is realistic yet complex.

The ending had me SO tense. Don't think I've been so nervous about a scene in my life oml
Rebecca
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books! Like I think that I'm not going to like them and they hook me in with interesting mysteries and characters I hate to love. How does Barnes do it?
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
I'm never EVER playing Slender Man now.
Crazy for Young A...: Killer Instinct (The Naturals, #2), by Jennifer Lynn Barnes → Start Date: February 28, 2015 58 65 Mar 20, 2015 05:35PM
Rossetti Quarter ...: E 2 2 Feb 28, 2015 06:53PM
Rossetti Quarter ...: F 1 1 Feb 27, 2015 07:40AM
Rossetti Quarter ...: C 1 1 Feb 27, 2015 06:30AM
Rossetti Quarter ...: D 1 1 Feb 26, 2015 06:08PM
  • Blood of My Blood (I Hunt Killers, #3)
  • Finding Willow (Freedom, #0.5)
  • Astray (Gated, #2)
  • Remember Me (Find Me, #2)
  • This Way to the Sugar
  • Going Rogue (Also Known As, #2)
  • Trust Me, I'm Trouble (Trust Me, #2)
  • Nearly Gone (Nearly Gone, #1)
  • I Am the Mission (The Unknown Assassin, #2)
  • Shipwrecked Summer
  • Beyond the Horizon
  • Sealed with a Lie (Two Lies and a Spy, #2)
  • Happily Ever After: A Day in the Life of the HEA (Rook and Ronin, #3.5)
  • Double Digit (Digit, #2)
  • Recitatif/To Room Nineteen
  • See How They Run (Embassy Row, #2)
  • Black Diamond (Stark Springs Academy #1)
  • Stupid Love (Stupid in Love, #3)
Jennifer Lynn Barnes (who mostly goes by Jen) was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She has been, in turn, a competitive cheerleader, a volleyball player, a dancer, a debutante, a primate cognition researcher, a teen model, a comic book geek, and a lemur aficionado. She's been writing for as long as she can remember, finished her first full book (which she now refers to as a "practice book" and which none ...more

The Naturals (5 books)
  • The Naturals (The Naturals, #1)
  • All In (The Naturals, #3)
  • Bad Blood (The Naturals, #4)
  • Twelve (The Naturals, #4.5)
“Maybe, to do what you and I do, we have to have a little bit of the monster in us.” 45 likes
“It's not the bad memories that tear a person apart. It's the good ones.” 35 likes